Who are your top 10 QBs in the league

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mahomes brought one of the worst defenses in the NFL to the AFCCG. Josh Allen has had a top 5 defense every year but one, and ironically that was the year he got to the AFCCG.

And how have our defenses performed in the playoffs?

How were they on Sunday?

22 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mahomes brought one of the worst defenses in the NFL to the AFCCG. Josh Allen has had a top 5 defense every year but one, and ironically that was the year he got to the AFCCG.

Mahomes had Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce in his prime. 

Then Travis Kelce in his prime and the best OL in the NFL. 

Patrick Mahomes had trash at WR all year, right?   How have they looked in the playoffs so far?

KC, as a team, elevates in the playoffs. 

Reid > McDermott

hell… 

Spags > McDermott

Chris Jones is, by far, the best defensive player of the two teams for the past 4 years.  L’Jarius Snead, probably second best. 

We have one guy who elevates consistently in the playoffs.. Josh Allen. 

I expect those outside our fanbase to play dumb about the reality of the Playoffs Bills, but not those within. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Success said:

And how have our defenses performed in the playoffs?

How were they on Sunday?

As an aside, Mahomes in the postseason, when his defense allows 20+ points.

10-3

Josh Allen in the postseason when his defense allows more than 20 points.

2-5.

It’s joever.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Mahomes had Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce in his prime. 

Then Travis Kelce in his prime and the best OL in the NFL. 

Patrick Mahomes had trash at WR all year, right?   How have they looked in the playoffs so far?

KC, as a team, elevates in the playoffs. 

Reid > McDermott

hell… 

Spags > McDermott

Chris Jones is, by far, the best defensive player of the two teams for the past 4 years.  L’Jarius Snead, probably second best. 

We have one guy who elevates consistently in the playoffs.. Josh Allen. 

I expect those outside our fanbase to play dumb about the reality of the Playoffs Bills, but not those within. 

Poyer elevated this week, he made a game saving forced fumble.

We just don't talk about it because we lost.  Just like if Josh Allen gets the first down after missing Shakir in the end zone, we wouldn't be talking about Chris Jones who had one tackle on the night lol.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Poyer elevated this week, he made a game saving forced fumble.

We just don't talk about it because we lost.  Just like if Josh Allen gets the first down after missing Shakir in the end zone, we wouldn't be talking about Chris Jones who had one tackle on the night lol.

Ok, so Poyer made one game-saving play. 

Jones made one game preserving play. 

Butker hit his FG’s.  Bass missed the game tying one. 

MVS made a contested catch downfield over our All-Pro corner. 

Sherfield came up with 0/2 50/50 balls thrown downfield to him. 

Kelce got open all night. 

Doggs, 3 for 21 with a fumble and a 65 yard drop middle of the 4th quarter. 

Mahomes missed an open TD, twice early in the game, if we’re going to put the loss on Allen for Dawkins getting beat. 

Cook dropped a TD, and Allen picked him up and still got the TD. 

We can do this all day, because your argument starts and ends with Poyer making one play.  

Edited by SCBills

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think it’s possible that McD has one and Reid has zero, yeah.

You don't think Allen with three seasons of the GOAT pass catching TE, the GOAT vertical WR, the GOAT offensive coach, and the best defensive coordinator in the league, would win a Super Bowl in that time frame? You might as well just say Allen will never win a Super Bowl. I honestly think any top 12ish QB would have a very strong chance of winning one Super Bowl in that situation.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Mahomes missed an open TD, twice early in the game, if we’re going to put the loss on Allen for Dawkins getting beat. 

Who is our all-pro corner? What are we even talking about?

You also forgot Shakir making a tremendous TD catch.  And Diggs didn't even lose his fumble, so don't forget Josh's fumble either.

Edited by FireChans

Just now, FireChans said:

Who is our all-pro corner? What are we even talking about?

You also forgot Shakir making a tremendous TD catch.  And Diggs didn't even lose his fumble lol.

Taron Johnson. 

Yes, Shakir stepped up.  He’s in Year 2.  Hopefully I can FINALLY add another name to the list, outside Josh Allen, that step up in the postseason.  

Nah, we just lost 10 yards and the down because Kincaid had to save him. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

You don't think Allen with three seasons of the GOAT pass catching TE, the GOAT vertical WR, the GOAT offensive coach, and the best defensive coordinator in the league, would win a Super Bowl in that time frame? You might as well just say Allen will never win a Super Bowl. I honestly think any top 12ish QB would have a very strong chance of winning one Super Bowl in that situation.

Spags wasn't their DC in 2018. They had one of the worst defenses in the league. They went to the AFCCG anyway.

Fair enough, Allen probably wins a Superbowl.  But I think the Mahomes Allen debate is still close, not a 4-0 lead.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:04 PM, Process said:

You either have Pat Josh or Lamar or you don't , impossible to rank the rest

I'm guessing some are leaving Burrows out because he got injured? Heck Lamar has had a good year but I think everyone is overreacting a bit with him, his previous two years were nothing special passing wise and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he regresses next year. Think Dak catches too much heat for underperforming in the playoffs as well, he was amazing during the year.

Edited by billrooter

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Spags wasn't their DC in 2018. They had one of the worst defenses in the league. They went to the AFCCG anyway.

Fair enough, Allen probably wins a Superbowl.  But I think the Mahomes Allen debate is still close, not a 4-0 lead.

So when I said three years of that situation I meant three years... But okay thanks for acknowledging that Allen would win 1 Super Bowl with three years of arguably the greatest surrounding cast that a QB has ever had. I don't know why you ever doubted this to begin with.

Hell let's look at just last year. Imagine if in the wildcard round Allen missed 20% of snaps to injury. Is it likely our journey ends there? I would say so. But let's say somehow the team gets through it and wins.

The next week against the Bengals in the AFCCG Allen leads the Bills to just 23 points. In crunch time he inexplicably fumbles the ball at midfield and the Bengals take over with a chance to win. In fact on his final 4 drives Allen leads his team to just 3 points, which is aided by a drive starting at the 50 and a roughing the passer penalty. But for argument's sake, the Bills somehow win.

Now we're in the Super Bowl against the best team in the league. Allen throws for just 182 yards, adding another 44 on the ground.

Be honest - do you think if everything I just described happened in the exact same manner but to Allen and the Bills instead of Mahomes and the Chiefs, would the Bills have won a Super Bowl last year? Personally I don't think they would have made it out of the wildcard round and certainly not the divisional round.

Outcomes are relative. Individual performances are not.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I mean, it comes out in the end that Mahomes is 3-0 against Allen in the playoffs.  

People forget: in that 1st AFCCG - the top 4 Bills receivers had significant injuries.  Diggs had an oblique.  Beasley had a broken leg.

Allen left the field w/ the lead w/ 13 seconds in the next one. Not much more to say on that.

Last Sunday - decimated defense, drops from Diggs & Sherfield (while KC receivers made tough catches they were dropping all year), missed FG.

Football, as we know, is a team game.  We pull our hair out about McDermott, while Reid is now widely acknowledged as the best coach in the league.  

As another poster just pointed out - if any one of a few plays goes the Bills way and they pull it out on Sunday, at least some of the conversation this week would have been 'is Allen the best now?'  That's how quickly narratives can turn.  

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2024 at 8:08 PM, chongli said:

1. Mahomes

2. Jackson

3. Burrow

4. Allen

5. Rodgers

6. Herbert

7. Hurts

8. Stroud

9. Love

10. (tie) Prescott, Lawrence, Stafford

I like this list  But for me Josh is #1. Best QB in the NFL, just need to get him some weapons and a healthy defense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Cook dropped a TD, and Allen picked him up and still got the TD. 

We can do this all day, because your argument starts and ends with Poyer making one play.  

This

How it continues to happen, wow.

PS- Herbert might become a top 10 QB, but he's not now. I cannot figure out why he's so hyped. Is it because he's in LA? 30 wins 32 losses.

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So when I said three years of that situation I meant three years... But okay thanks for acknowledging that Allen would win 1 Super Bowl with three years of arguably the greatest surrounding cast that a QB has ever had. I don't know why you ever doubted this to begin with.

Hell let's look at just last year. Imagine if in the wildcard round Allen missed 20% of snaps to injury. Is it likely our journey ends there? I would say so. But let's say somehow the team gets through it and wins.

The next week against the Bengals in the AFCCG Allen leads the Bills to just 23 points. In crunch time he inexplicably fumbles the ball at midfield and the Bengals take over with a chance to win. In fact on his final 4 drives Allen leads his team to just 3 points, which is aided by a drive starting at the 50 and a roughing the passer penalty. But for argument's sake, the Bills somehow win.

Now we're in the Super Bowl against the best team in the league. Allen throws for just 182 yards, adding another 44 on the ground.

Be honest - do you think if everything I just described happened in the exact same manner but to Allen and the Bills instead of Mahomes and the Chiefs, would the Bills have won a Super Bowl last year? Personally I don't think they would have made it out of the wildcard round and certainly not the divisional round.

Outcomes are relative. Individual performances are not.

Woah woah woah, throwing for 182 yards and rushing for 44 yards made Allen spectacular this week. Now, it’s some middling performance in the Super Bowl?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

This

How it continues to happen, wow.

PS- Herbert might become a top 10 QB, but he's not now. I cannot figure out why he's so hyped. Is it because he's in LA? 30 wins 32 losses.

Herbert is the opposite of Allen, in the sense that people over-compensate for his shortcomings by blaming those around him. 

Very good QB.   Elite talent.  But something is missing in him, along with the issues around him.  

If anyone can change that, it would be Harbaugh though. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Woah woah woah, throwing for 182 yards and rushing for 44 yards made Allen spectacular this week. Now, it’s some middling performance in the Super Bowl?

See the difference between you and me is I watch the games. So I watched Mahomes' surrounding cast maximize every play he made in that Super Bowl. His 182 passing yards is exactly what he earned as a player. Allen meanwhile lost, what, 100 yards and likely a TD on just the three dropped deep passes.

But also you just made my point for me... Allen plays with his hair on fire, but the exact production that Mahomes won a Super Bowl with was not enough for Allen to advance past the divisional round. Think about that.

You're well on your way to understanding that team accomplishments do not equate to QB accomplishments.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

See the difference between you and me is I watch the games. So I watched Mahomes' surrounding cast maximize every play he made in that Super Bowl. His 182 passing yards is exactly what he earned as a player. Allen meanwhile lost, what, 100 yards and likely a TD on just the three dropped deep passes.

But also you just made my point for me... Allen plays with his hair on fire, but the exact production that Mahomes won a Super Bowl with was not enough for Allen to advance past the divisional round. Think about that.

You're well on your way to understanding that team accomplishments do not equate to QB accomplishments.

Okay so you agree that Mahomes was elite in that Super Bowl? 

You’re trying to have it both ways.

Edited by FireChans

I don’t really think that’s the case.

And yet you inadvertently agreed with my point about the single game QB production, and haven't tried to dispute anything else I said in that post.

I get it. Most people are results-based thinkers. It takes a lot of brain power to look beyond the final result and evaluate the individual components.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I get it. Most people are results-based thinkers. It takes a lot of brain power to look beyond the final result and evaluate the individual components.

I agree most people are but I think this is slightly ironic given I think it is largely what people are doing re. the Head Coach. 

And yet you inadvertently agreed with my point about the single game QB production, and haven't tried to dispute anything else I said in that post.

You are literally making up hypotheticals to discredit how good Mahomes is. After they beat us in the playoffs. Again. With a team everyone, including Bills fans, though was garbage.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I’m on my phone now, it’s hard to respond individually.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I agree most people are but I think this is slightly ironic given I think it is largely what people are doing re. the Head Coach. 

I'll admit it's hard to objectively evaluate head coaches. It's not like players where there are clear stats to look at, and it can be hard to differentiate between when a play fails because of a player versus when a play fails because of a coach. Still I try to take the individual components into account when I evaluate McDermott. I don't think he is a bad coach, I just question if he is a top 5 coach which is likely what you need to win a Super Bowl.

• Disagree 2

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Herbert is the opposite of Allen, in the sense that people over-compensate for his shortcomings by blaming those around him. 

Very good QB.   Elite talent.  But something is missing in him, along with the issues around him.  

If anyone can change that, it would be Harbaugh though. 

One of the knocks on Herbert is he’s very introverted. I also think the Chargers talent gets way overrated. Williams is always hurt, Allen gets hurt a ton, eckler isn’t a great between the tackles runner, defense has big names that are soft. 

but you’re right that Harbaugh will get the most of our them. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'll admit it's hard to objectively evaluate head coaches. It's not like players where there are clear stats to look at, and it can be hard to differentiate between when a play fails because of a player versus when a play fails because of a coach. Still I try to take the individual components into account when I evaluate McDermott. I don't think he is a bad coach, I just question if he is a top 5 coach which is likely what you need to win a Super Bowl.

Thoroughly disagree with this.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You are literally making up hypotheticals to discredit how good Mahomes is.

What hypothetical did I make up? The exact game scripts that I pulled for the Chiefs playoff run last year? Those aren't hypotheticals. They really happened. I think if people are honest with themselves they'll admit that those exact game scripts performed by Allen on the Bills would lead to a loss in at least one of those three games. So what separates the QBs in terms of their legacy and accolades is not just QB play. It is mostly to do with the situations around them.

I find it weird that I get any pushback on this concept. Everybody here knows QBs are responsible for at most 50% of the game's outcome, right? So when you're talking about an elite QB versus a replacement level QB the elite QB will almost always win. But elite versus elite, it comes down to every other factor.

• Like (+1) 2

Thoroughly disagree with this.

Really?

I've always seen the playoffs as kind of a "coach filter."  It's rare that a mediocre coach wins a SB.  

Most SB champs have pretty historically great coaches.

• Agree 1

By every single stat (which I agree aren’t perfect), he has been a top 5 coach the last five years. 2nd in wins, 1st in points give up. That’s a hell of a resume.

Just now, HappyDays said:

What hypothetical did I make up? The exact game scripts that I pulled for the Chiefs playoff run last year? Those aren't hypotheticals. They really happened. I think if people are honest with themselves they'll admit that those exact game scripts performed by Allen on the Bills would lead to a loss in at least one of those three games. So what separates the QBs in terms of their legacy and accolades is not just QB play. It is mostly to do with the situations around them.

I find it weird that I get any pushback on this concept. Everybody here knows QBs are responsible for at most 50% of the game's outcome, right? So when you're talking about an elite QB versus a replacement level QB the elite QB will almost always win. But elite versus elite, it comes down to every other factor.

You’re like pretend f every game is the same and flows the same way. They don’t. 

the anti Lamar (which there are a lot on this board) kill him for his lack of monster stats. They kill teams in the first half and don’t need to throw the ball in the second half. It’s like the Bills against the Cowboys. 

every game has its own story. So you can’t just blindly say this player would do this in this game because they did that in this game. It’s kinda crazy. 

mahomes is the goat and it’s not a knock again Allen, who’s amazing n his own right. Only Bills fans would attempt to argue this. Let’s take our medicine, reload, and be them next year. 

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You are literally making up hypotheticals to discredit how good Mahomes is.

Also I want to mention I'm not discrediting how great Mahomes is at all. He is still the most responsible individual in the Chiefs organization for their results over the past 5 years. I just hate that in these conversations of Allen vs Mahomes it always comes down to Mahomes' Super Bowls. Like I said before, I get it. It is hard to break down results to more than just the result. But looking at the Chiefs and Bills over the past three seasons, I think it is plainly obvious that the QBs have been about equal while the totality of other players and coaches heavily favors the Chiefs.

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re like pretend f every game is the same and flows the same way. They don’t. 

Do you believe Mahomes in last year's playoffs performed measurably better (not even in statistics, just in general his actual play on the field) than Allen did in the 2022 or this year's playoffs?

Do you believe the Bills would beat the Joe Burrow Bengals if Allen at any point in the game led his offense to 4 consecutive drives with just 3 total points scored (which came off of a short field) one of which ended in a turnover at midfield?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For now it's still obviously Mahomes in his own league then everyone else.

And as much as some fans on this forum will hate it or not agree, still think a healthy Joe Burrow is the clear cut #2 QB in the NFL. I think Lamar makes a strong case though for overtaking him if he beats Mahomes this weekend, win it all and then there's probably a real debate about him being the clear cut #2 over Burrow.

Allen definitely top 5 regardless though.

• Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, Success said:

Really?

I've always seen the playoffs as kind of a "coach filter."  It's rare that a mediocre coach wins a SB.  

Most SB champs have pretty historically great coaches.

Meh, Arians was a “not good enough” HC until he wasn’t. Doug Pederson quickly went from great coach to good coach to maybe fired coach. Harbaugh and Tomlin can barely win playoff games now. Even BB, the GOAT, has looked pretty mortal (although he’s old.)

Everyone has Shanny in their top 5 and the guy hasn’t even won a Super Bowl.

Edited by FireChans

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

As an aside, Mahomes in the postseason, when his defense allows 20+ points.

10-3

Josh Allen in the postseason when his defense allows more than 20 points.

2-5.

It’s joever.

There's a pretty simple explanation for this.  Reid attacks when his defense is bad because he has an elite QB that he puts his trust in.  McD on the other hand retreats and demands that Allen & the OC button up the hatches and hunker down. Run clock and protect the defense.  Reid embraces the shootout in these situations and McD embraces a bunker down mentality.  Both the Houston and 2020 KC championship game were examples of this.  Remember those 2 FG's instead of attempted TD's (4th & goal from the 2 and 4th & 3 from the 8 yrd line) against the Chiefs in the Championship game?

In the one playoff game they unleashed Allen and embraced the shootout in the 4th quarter of the 2021 playoff game Allen led the Bills to a 3 point lead with 13 seconds left.  Only the extreme incompetence of McD and the defense allowed KC to win that shootout.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

For now it's still obviously Mahomes in his own league then everyone else.

And as much as some fans on this forum will hate it or not agree, still think a healthy Joe Burrow is the clear cut #2 QB in the NFL. I think Lamar makes a strong case though for overtaking him if he beats Mahomes this weekend, win it all and then there's probably a real debate about him being the clear cut #2 over Burrow.

Allen definitely top 5 regardless though.

Burrow hasnt even been able to finish 2 of his 5 seasons and Cincy was still winning games. If Allen ever went down for any length of time the Bills wouldn’t win a game.  

On 1/26/2024 at 3:11 PM, FireChans said:

Yep. I’ll never understand the narrative that Mahomes has had everything and Allen’s had nothing. 

In Mahomes’ first year, he had arguably the worst defense in the league. Until this year, he’s never had an above average defense. He’s rarely been supported by a good running game and they’ve generally been very one-dimensional on offense. For a few years, KC had the worst interior run blocking in the NFL. 3rd string OL in 2020, and mediocre/poor tackle play at times the last few years. 

Allen’s had top defenses every year, one of the best receivers in the game for several years, good TEs (two good ones currently), a good LT and decent line, decent RBs (very solid one this year)…I wouldn’t say the cupboard has been bare. 

On 1/26/2024 at 3:09 PM, Success said:

Not a chance, imo.

Allen has been undone by coaching, and the team in general.  He carries the Bills - it's a one man show at times, and it was on Sunday.

Mahomes has rarely carried his team the same way.  Mahomes wouldn't have a ring here.  And Allen for sure would have at least one in KC.

In a game last year, Mahomes had 509 yds and accounted for all but 14 of the team’s yards. He won the AFC title game with Skyy Moore, MVS and a practice squad WR. Had one of his best games without Kelce or Hill vs a pretty good Pitt D a few years ago (top receivers were Pringle, Darrel Williams, Derrick Gore and Hardman). Beat Denver on the road in his first career start, surrounded by scrub backups. And he’s rarely been supported by good defense. Even last week, his defense failed most of the night. 

To say he can’t carry a team is crazy. 

On 1/24/2024 at 4:54 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I think its tiers…

Josh Lamar Mahomes and Burrow are their own tier imo.

Then it’s Herbert (he’s close to those guys and will get there with Harbaugh)

Then its guys like Hurts, Stafford, Dak…Goff had a great year. 

Then young guys who are on their way, Lawrence, Stroud, Love

Then its mid Tua, Purdy, Baker Mayfield…

And old guys who were elite Rodgers, Wilson. 

And old guys who were meh Carr, Cousins etc.

All my opinions. 

Agree that tiers are a good way to do it, but couple issues in your tiers.

Lawrence is the most over rated player in the NFL, he just isn't that good and you have guys better than him ranked with or below him.  Tua, Purdy, and Stroud all better than him.

Stroud is already better than the guys you have him in tier with and he is a tier too low.

Purdy is better than he gets credit for and he is 2 tiers too low.  

Tier 1 - Mahomes, Josh, Lamar, Burrow

Tier 2 - Herbert,, Purdy, Dak, Stroud, Stafford

Tier 3 - Love, Tua, Hurts, Goff, Rodgers (can't drop him too low until we actually see him fall off a cliff...he might still be Tier 1 or 2 when he plays again even)

Tier 4 - Cousins, Lawrence, Baker

Tier 5 - Everyone else and below.

To answer the OP question:  Top 10 for me is:

1. Mahomes
  2. Allen
  3. Burrow
  4. Lamar
  5. Herbert
  6. Stafford
  7. Stroud
  8. Purdy
  9. Dak
  10. Tua

Stroud and Purdy have limited sample sizes, but I am basing this on who was top 10 this season, not top 10 careers.  And Purdy led the NFL in a lot of passing categories and Stroud really had a pretty sensational rookie season.  To be honest, I almost moved Stafford to 8 to so I could move both Stroud and Purdy one spot higher each.  

A case can be made to move both Dak and Tua up based on stats, but those stats lose value for me when you weigh how much better their stats were at home when facing bad defenses and teams compared to winning teams and/or on the road.  These guys just don't get it done or put the stats up unless the matchup conditions  are easy, so those year end totals on stats become less impressive for me.  The guys ahead of them have all shown they can beat good teams too, not just the bad ones.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.