How do you explain Diggs invisibility act

Coldfronts

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I think Diggs is getting the crap beaten out of him because by the middle of the season it's clear that the Bills offense is primarily Diggs and Josh Allen.

Yea, he gets slammed like a rag doll which is intentional.  I think he’s got bruised ribs, ankles and feelings. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Coldfronts said:

Every 2nd half and 2nd half of the season every year except 2020 because I'm not buying this guy's reasons?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/1/24/24048105/stefon-diggs-and-the-second-half-of-the-season-what-is-happening-buffalo-bills-offense

I think he pals around with David Copperfield in the off season.

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

A lot of people will defend Diggs. I can’t find much to defend him on. Disappeared the second half of the season, takes himself out of the game way too much, drops passes, never fights for yardage. Not exactly many superstar qualities left. 

Many of the times he took himself out the Bills did plays where team was running or were having WRs block which is not a strength of his.

There were some comments in media about this being a "tell" of Bills offense.  

Jake Kumerow was a big part of that blocking until 2020 before he went on IR and Gabe Davis worked on his physicality on offseason to do this role.

Had an actual conversation about this at work. Someone thought Diggs was purposely having a down season to trick KC into letting their guard down. You can't make this stuff up. It can't be a player hitting his peak 2 years ago and is now well on the decline, it's actually more in line with a conspiracy theory. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I think Diggs is getting the crap beaten out of him because by the middle of the season it's clear that the Bills offense is primarily Diggs and Josh Allen.

no 100-yard games since WEEK 6! 

Dunno whats wrong with the guy but he is currently wayyyy over paid for what he has done in the last two playoff games. This is the time he is supposed to shine.

Perhaps he wants out of Buffalo and wants to play with his brother in Dallas?

In my view, the Bills need a new #1 WR.

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

no 100-yard games since WEEK 6! 

Dunno whats wrong with the guy but he is currently wayyyy over paid for what he has done in the last two playoff games. This is the time he is supposed to shine.

Perhaps he wants out of Buffalo and wants to play with his brother in Dallas?

In my view, the Bills need a new #1 WR.

Take a look at his overall stats in the playoffs.  Our #1 WR pulls the Houdini act almost every time.  Like I heard past #1 wrs say in the Media, any decent #1 makes that catch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

A lot of people will defend Diggs. I can’t find much to defend him on. Disappeared the second half of the season, takes himself out of the game way too much, drops passes, never fights for yardage. Not exactly many superstar qualities left. 

I think he is playing injured again. In 2021 he played the last half of the season with a torn Oblique muscle. Oblique muscles are attached to the bottom of the rib cage. They are the ones we sue to twist and turn our body at the waist. When one is injured you usually can go about life mostly normal. That is until you twist or turn the wrong way. THEN - very painful, like a broken rib type painful for a few minutes.

That sort of situation would explain why he avoided contact whenever possible.

https://bangedupbills.com/2024/01/19/digging-into-stefon-diggss-mystery-injury/#:~:text=Previous Oblique Injury,Dolphins during the 2020 season.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Doesn't anyone find it suspicious that before Brady took over Diggs had 73 catches for 868 Yards, 7 TDs, and perhaps most tellingly, 11.9 YPR, in 10 games, but after Brady took over, in a similar 9 games, had 44 catches for 388 Yards, 1 TD, and 8.8 YPR?  or 3 YPR fewer?  

People have wanted to blame Brady in the past. Diggs slide started two weeks before that. 

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

People have wanted to blame Brady in the past. Diggs slide started two weeks before that. 

He caught 6 balls for 86 yards and a TD two weeks prior, for 14.3 YPR, 5.5 YPR greater than his average under Brady.  

The week prior, with Dorsey already taking heat, who knows how impacting his play-calling, Diggs still led the WRs and Allen only completed 15 passes.  Diggs still average 11.3 YPR, more than all but two games under Brady, and only marginally less in those two games.  

So that's not a true statement.  

When Brady took over, that's when we saw his routes turn into short OTMs, short outs, and other nonsense more suited to slot WRs or guys out of the backfield. 

At the end of the day we're hardly dealing with premier OCs here.  That's on McD.  

We'll figure it out.  I get the impression that Allen doesn't care, because he has a fairly care-free life.  He's disappointed in the season, but he also seems quite content to get away from football and go on his annual golfing and travel spree.  Great for him, really.  Quite frankly little if any of this is his fault.  I'm sure he needs to get away from this insanity just as much as many fans do now too.  

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He caught 6 balls for 86 yards and a TD two weeks prior, for 14.3 YPR, 5.5 YPR greater than his average under Brady.  

The week prior, with Dorsey already taking heat, who knows how impacting his play-calling, Diggs still led the WRs and Allen only completed 15 passes.  Diggs still average 11.3 YPR, more than all but two games under Brady, and only marginally less in those two games.  

So that's not a true statement.  

When Brady took over, that's when we saw his routes turn into short OTMs, short outs, and other nonsense more suited to slot WRs or guys out of the backfield. 

At the end of the day we're hardly dealing with premier OCs here.  That's on McD.  

We'll figure it out.  I get the impression that Allen doesn't care, because he has a fairly care-free life.  He's disappointed in the season, but he also seems quite content to get away from football and go on his annual golfing and travel spree.  Great for him, really.  Quite frankly little if any of this is his fault.  I'm sure he needs to get away from this insanity just as much as many fans do now too.  

im not going to look it up again but cover 1 did a thing showing Diggs fall off. It started before Brady. 

in any case I’m not going to blame his fall off on Brady. Maybe part of it but you could see on the field it wasnt just offensive system with him. Some of his routes were lazy af and not crisp. His hands have been a problem and that’s not OC.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I remember hearing McDermott talk about preserving him or something. You wonder if this is planned. 

Just spitballin but it occurred to me that maybe Brady wanted to diversify the passing offence and have it less Diggs centric, given that he was also often double covered. Without questioning Diggs’ competitive instincts maybe that was something he just had trouble adjusting to.

I did get flamed for that opinion though.

Edited by starrymessenger

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

im not going to look it up again but cover 1 did a thing showing Diggs fall off. It started before Brady. 

in any case I’m not going to blame his fall off on Brady. Maybe part of it but you could see on the field it wasnt just offensive system with him. Some of his routes were lazy af and not crisp. His hands have been a problem and that’s not OC.

Would love to see that because the stats I just put up don't lie.  

There's a huge difference between 14.5 YPR and 8.8, much more between 7 and 1 TDs.  

If you have the link I'd love to see it.  I'm pretty sure it's quite easily debunkable.  

Personally I think it's just scheme. None of our receivers had a big year by nfl standards. I think whoever is our oc next year is gonna wipe the slate clean. We've been playing Dorseys system for 2 seasons. I think it got figured out (statistically we were good last year) but I don't think there was enough adjustments made on the offense this season, and probably partly why Dorsey was fired 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm giving it a month or so to see if it's announced he had some off season surgery, then will decide how to explain.

Admittedly that article paints it as a trend, but don't recall seeing it as bad or as long in past years as this one.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Would love to see that because the stats I just put up don't lie.  

There's a huge difference between 14.5 YPR and 8.8, much more between 7 and 1 TDs.  

If you have the link I'd love to see it.  I'm pretty sure it's quite easily debunkable.  

well I’m at drs now discussing surgery so it’s gonna be a while. 

Buffalo Bills last 10 games: 

Khalil Shakir - 38 targets 462 yards 

Stefon Diggs - 80 targets 422 yards

Gabe Davis gets most of the criticism on this board, but if we’re comparing contracts, Diggs is under-performing on a level I’ve never seen from a supposed top 5 WR who is not coming off any serious injuries. He also has a top 3 QB throwing to him. Shakir on the other hand is taking every opportunity he’s given and made some huge catches this post-season. Diggs has largely disappeared and is one the main reasons we lost against KC. We’ve won this year in spite of him, not b/c of him. I love what he’s done in re-establishing a top offense in Buffalo and greatly contributing to Allen’s development, but he’s hit a brick wall. His contract makes things really hard, but if we can unload him for anything then Beane needs to pull the trigger. This whole WR room needs to be destroyed & rebuilt. The money towards Von Miller and Diggs is killing the Bills. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be surprised if he is injured. But him refusing to talk or jetting out of the dressing room just exacerbates the situation. If you want to play the diva, you got to make plays like a diva. Also for the love of God, can we get a big WR who has sure hands. I mean Kincaid is kinda that. But a legitimate WR who can body up in the end zone. Also a speedster. Maybe Shakir is it. But we need someone who can make the other teams respect the quick, deep ball.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

This was my thought too... but this should only apply to routes. He shouldn't be dropping balls that hits him in the hands because he has a nagging hamstring (for example).

I thought he might have been playing with bruised ribs just judging from his reactions to certain hits in that area....100% speculation on my part and I could be completely wrong but if it was something like that then I think that could contribute to dropped passes.  I actually don't think it was a hamstring because there have been plenty of times where he has been getting open where either Josh isn't getting him the ball or he's dropping the pass.  Just a very weird situation without knowing what is actually going on. 

13 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Buffalo Bills last 10 games: 

Khalil Shakir - 38 targets 462 yards 

Stefon Diggs - 80 targets 422 yards

Gabe Davis gets most of the criticism on this board, but if we’re comparing contracts, Diggs is under-performing on a level I’ve never seen from a supposed top 5 WR who is not coming off any serious injuries. He also has a top 3 QB throwing to him. Shakir on the other hand is taking every opportunity he’s given and made some huge catches this post-season. Diggs has largely disappeared and is one the main reasons we lost against KC. We’ve won this year in spite of him, not b/c of him. I love what he’s done in re-establishing a top offense in Buffalo and greatly contributing to Allen’s development, but he’s hit a brick wall. His contract makes things really hard, but if we can unload him for anything then Beane needs to pull the trigger. This whole WR room needs to be destroyed & rebuilt. The money towards Von Miller and Diggs is killing the Bills. 

nobody to blame but Beane. He gets too attached to his players. Hes not cuthroat enough. I sympathize with him. He and MCD thought they would get to a super bowl the year after 13 second. And took a big swing (von and his contract). Gamble did not pay off. Additionally - they should have recognize how diggs completely disappears in the late half of the season and playoff games. I dont know how they would thought as hes turning 30 that this would IMPROVE. Hes hit the "age/athletic" wall. And then 

HE doubles down on keeping diggs around by extending him and von. thats the mistake. before you say well were in cap hell those contracts are the only way to be competitive - i hear that. But thats why you dont blow money on these special teams players that DONT even play when we get decimated in a position due to injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

So you're of the mind that the moment that Brady became the OC that Diggs couldn't separate anymore?  

No, this is what I said.

Diggs has been struggling to get separation in man to man. Brady focus's less on Diggs in his O (he likes the 2x TE set and is more run focused). This means less designed or schemed plays for him. Couple that with his drops, his age, and the emergence of Kincaid and it all just means less for Diggs.

It's not an attack on anyone, it's just the reality of the situation. Here's a decent break down as well.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/1/24/24048105/stefon-diggs-and-the-second-half-of-the-season-what-is-happening-buffalo-bills-offense

Edited by babulator

Occam’s Razor.  Everybody’s trying to win.  Diggs putting up big numbers at beginning of season wasn’t accomplishing that.  We won more games spreading it around and running it more.  Im sure Diggs wasn’t thrilled being less of a focal point but the Bills were winning and salvaging the season.  Diggs isn’t as good when he’s not used as much and 30 year old WR’s do tend to drop off.  

• Agree 1

Look back at that first game against the KC Chiefs in week 14. 

11 targets, and 4 receptions for 24 yards, that sucks. WoW.... a #1 WR that was owned by L'Jarius Sneed. 

Some on Buffalo stated that Diggs was doubled and the KC players stated that only Sneed was covering him.

We all love Stephon Diggs. But man, what's wrong?

3 hours ago, Dick_Cheney said:

It really did seem like he was injured, but we haven't heard anything about that being the case yet. Extremely concerning if he in fact was healthy.

If he had been injured, we would know about it by now.

He had a disappointing end to the season, and dropped that 1 huge bomb in the Chiefs game, but I don't think he "quit."  That's kind of ridiculous.  

Is he getting older? Yes.  Is that going to have a serious impact on his game next year and beyond?

I don't know.  Have to see.  Glad he's still here.

Having said that, if he could be packaged in a blockbuster deal that brought real quality back, I'd definitely consider it seriously.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

If he had been injured, we would know about it by now.

He had a disappointing end to the season, and dropped that 1 huge bomb in the Chiefs game, but I don't think he "quit."  That's kind of ridiculous.  

Is he getting older? Yes.  Is that going to have a serious impact on his game next year and beyond?

I don't know.  Have to see.  Glad he's still here.

Having said that, if he could be packaged in a blockbuster deal that brought real quality back, I'd definitely consider it seriously.

I agree. I'm not opposed to trading him, although most everyone says it's impossible due to his cap impact. Not sure if there's any way to work around that, but I do believe he's replaceable for the right price.

42 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

well I’m at drs now discussing surgery so it’s gonna be a while. 

Hope things are OK.  

Yeah, that'd be great.  We can discuss it then.  See what the methodology for the analysis was.  

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Hope things are OK.  

Yeah, that'd be great.  We can discuss it then.  See what the methodology for the analysis was.  

Honestly this might take me a couple days.  I'll DM you when I get around to it or I can just @ you here.

With Hill (he was hurt), it does think that maybe the smaller number 1s can be neutralized in the playoffs. Personally, I always prefer the Mike Evans type but with the new rules, smaller route runners can dominate. But when the games become more physical, it would be nice to that number 1 guy who is open even when he isn’t open. 

39 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Honestly this might take me a couple days.  I'll DM you when I get around to it or I can just @ you here.

Yeah, no hurry.  We're all busy.  It's not as if bickering amongst ourselves is a priority.  LOL  

I sincerely hope that you're doing OK.  

:)  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

Diggs' brother continously disparaged the team and Allen, his most important coworker. If your little brother publicly did this to you with your job, you'd nip that in the bud pretty damn quick, right? He never did.

At best, Diggs allowed it to happen. At worst, he used his brother as a mouthpiece to say the things he wanted to say bit couldn't. Speaks volumes.

Edited by Patrick Fitzryan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1