Josh EOY presser

1 hour ago, eball said:

The "adjustment" the Chiefs' defense made was to put 9 in the box on first down.  I have no idea why Josh didn't audible out of those runs up the middle.

We knew the Bills' D would be under the gun...I can't blame them for this loss.

The defense gave up a staggering 8.5yards PER PLAY

they gave up a wholly ridiculous OVER ONE HALF POINT PER OFFENSIVE PLAY

this wasn't some brave attempt at hanging tough by an injured unit, this was a nuclear meltdown and one of the worst defensive performances I can remember masked only by the fact that the offense threw the football equivalent of a no hitter

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Hopefully not seeing videos of him on golf course all offseason

You always play Pebble when you can play Pebble. Shoot, let me sub in at Edgewood, I'll take one for the team.

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

One difference that I heard from last year and the previous year's end of year presser, is that he talked about wanting to get "back in the lab" as soon as possible and to work with guys off-season.

I think that's in contrast to the last two end of season pressers where he talked about needing to take time off to let his body heal and wanting to take some time away

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mango said:

What about it 2 years ago? We blew it. 

Last year we were paper tigers on both sides of the ball. 

For the most part I was higher on this team at the back end of the year than either of those other two. This one hurt, but this wasn't a "McDermott was protecting his precious defense" game. The defense was a seiv and needed to be kept off the field, 

Mahomes and co. didn't win by 4 because they took their foot off the gas. They lost by 4 because the Bills kept their possessions to a minimum with long sustained drives. I am confident that Buffalo wins that game fairly easily with a healthy Milano, Bernard, and Douglas. 

I'd say they win with a healthy Bernard alone of those 3.

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 5

5 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

It's all words but Josh Allen gave great EOY presser and looks like there was a fire in his eyes. We need that WR1 but I think we could be ok next year especially if we can retain Brady and Josh plays like he did somewhat down the stretch with little to no turnovers.  There will always be some. A lot of tough cap issues but JA is a leader.  Still numb but Who knows. Go Bills. 

This is how I see it.  

Find the next WR 1.  Everything gets easier after that.   

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

How so? You don't want your team's leader to demand more? Josh was hyper football focused the summer of COVID and look how good he played that season. Made a huge leap. What if he could make another leap? Or at least set the standard for the team that we are winning it this year at all costs

I'd like to see you put some blame on your namesake who's been actively bad and looking unfocused since around week 8. He could have told his brother not to post anything, regardless of his feelings. All it did was cause needless drama. For every great catch he made, there were 2 or 3 drops each week that never happened in his first 3 & 1/2 seasons in Buffalo.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

this wasn't some brave attempt at hanging tough by an injured unit, this was a nuclear meltdown and one of the worst defensive performances I can remember masked only by the fact that the offense threw the football equivalent of a no hitter

First off, I'm not sure where you're getting 8.5 yards per play.  The Chiefs had 361 yards on 47 pass + run plays.  That's 7.7 yards per play when I math.  A nit, perhaps, but IMO the "yards per play" thing is missing the point.

I'm not interested in semantics debate about "nuclear meltdown" or not, but the average is like the joke about the duck where there's a cluster of shots to the right and to the left, and the punchline "on average, the duck is dead".

Out of those 47 pass + run plays, there were something like 5 long pass plays and 3 long run plays given up to the Chiefs - plays of 20 or more yards.  McDermott's defense is designed to depend on everyone knowing where they're supposed to be, and getting there in time.

When you're playing a MLB who is over 30, just practiced with the starters this week, and has lost a step off the low athleticism he had to start with; a CB on 1 leg (who looked mi-tee slow in the clip we saw of practice) and a backup;  backfilling for an athletically limited OLB with a raw rookie; and back-filling for the safety you move into the box with Cam Lewis - expect something like a 15% failure rate on a defense which depends upon everyone being on the same page.

Your mileage apparently varies 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

First off, I'm not sure where you're getting 8.5 yards per play.  The Chiefs had 361 yards on 47 pass + run plays.  That's 7.7 yards per play when I math.  A nit, perhaps, but IMO the "yards per play" thing is missing the point.

I'm not interested in semantics debate about "nuclear meltdown" or not, but the average is like the joke about the duck where there's a cluster of shots to the right and to the left, and the punchline "on average, the duck is dead".

Out of those 47 pass + run plays, there were something like 5 long pass plays and 3 long run plays given up to the Chiefs - plays of 20 or more yards.  McDermott's defense is designed to depend on everyone knowing where they're supposed to be, and getting there in time.

When you're playing a MLB who is over 30, just practiced with the starters this week, and has lost a step off the low athleticism he had to start with; a CB on 1 leg (who looked mi-tee slow in the clip we saw of practice) and a backup;  backfilling for an athletically limited OLB with a raw rookie; and back-filling for the safety you move into the box with Cam Lewis - expect something like a 15% failure rate on a defense which depends upon everyone being on the same page.

Not including kneeldowns 

You can get as much mileage as you like from the injuries excuse

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Every quarterback hits the links. Manning did, Mahomes does, Rogers does, etc. 

The only guy who worked out every day over the summer that I can think of was JJ Watt, and he was a complete psychopath 

…and constantly injured.  The Josh narrative of a lack of commitment doesn’t square at all with amount of punishment that man takes at that position.  And he is rarely hurt. 

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Watching the effort it took our O to score vs the effort KC required is like watching a little kid trying his hardest against his big brother letting him keep it close but not win. 

You mean the team we beat at their place a few weeks back, where “big brother” had a meltdown and cried to mommy (the refs, the media, Josh in the post-game handshake) because things didn’t go his way? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

One difference that I heard from last year and the previous year's end of year presser, is that he talked about wanting to get "back in the lab" as soon as possible and to work with guys off-season.

I think that's in contrast to the last two end of season pressers where he talked about needing to take time off to let his body heal and wanting to take some time away

Definitely, I think maybe a big part of that is how the way he's leading the team has changed over this season.

1 hour ago, jlgarsh said:

I'd like to see you put some blame on your namesake who's been actively bad and looking unfocused since around week 8. He could have told his brother not to post anything, regardless of his feelings. All it did was cause needless drama. For every great catch he made, there were 2 or 3 drops each week that never happened in his first 3 & 1/2 seasons in Buffalo.

Yes they can all work harder. Get together as a team and focus this summer. I think it will pay off

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I usually try not to get into the personal lives of these players, but last year at this time was the beginning of the end for him and Brittany, and of course he started dating Hailee. I do think the things going on in his personal life played a huge role in his off season. Some massive life changes. I think it's great if he gets back in the lab, it will never hurt. Lab or not, the team always seems to find a way to win the division and get the 2 seed, so it's not like him doing other things in the off season has necessarily hurt, but it also won't hurt to get back to the fundamentals.

7 hours ago, boyst said:

Words aren't action

Talk is cheap

L's still an L

Jesus Christ everyone crying over the truth.  We have heard these words time and time again, been so close... And that people think they mean something to them this time is like a battered wife or something.

Jesus, guys, I bet you believed every woman when she said you satisfied her, too.

• Eyeroll 1

He was all-in on Brady just like he was all-in on Dorsey.

7 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

While the Bills are out shopping for a #2 receiver they might want to grab a #1 as well.

Maybe just get a game-manager QB with running skills.  That's really what McD needs.  

7 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Josh has to play a perfect game for the team to have a chance in the playoffs. Even then it may not be enough. He's going to have to find a way to be even better.

Times three or four in a row.  

7 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

If McD is back it’s punting another year of his Prime. We might actually waste this guys career. It’s devastating. 

it’s pathetic considering how insane Josh’s playoff numbers are 

I think he’s got 27td’s and 4 INT’s but he’s also got McD getting pansted by better coaches on the regular. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tim Tindale said:

You mean the team we beat at their place a few weeks back, where “big brother” had a meltdown and cried to mommy (the refs, the media, Josh in the post-game handshake) because things didn’t go his way? 

I was talking about the playoff game. Unfortunately you can carry over what happened during the regular season. 

The defense was giving up 9.6 yards per play up until the middle of the 4th quarter (I know because I was following that stat in the box throughout the game).  The Chiefs had 16 total yards over 10 plays in their final two possessions (including the kneel downs), which drove the average down to a still putrid 7.7 yards per play by game's end.  I know they had a ton of injuries, but they were just god awful last night and the primary reason we lost the game. 

We also gave up a horrific 7.6 yards per play in the 13 seconds game.  Sean's defenses have been wretched in the last four playoff losses.  There is no getting around this.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Correct.  This loss lies almost entirely at the hands of Sean's defense.  Yes, injuries are tough to overcome, but that was a historically bad performance we witnessed from our defense last night.  If we hadn't played nearly perfect ball control offense for the majority of the night, there's no doubt that KC would have racked up 500 yards and 40+ points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some of the responses on this thread are astounding.

Being a professional athlete is huge dedication.  They work like crazy all season.  Some fans are upset that he takes in a little golf before starting more offseason workouts & training?

I don't get it.  Not only is that a sure recipe for burnout - it's ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Maybe I should of went into the "sports" business because in my profession if you don't produce and get over the hump, you get demoted or fired.  

Second most wins since 2019....wow.  Did the Bills get some kind of trophy for that?  

Trust me, your profession allows room for second, third, and fourth place too. 

7 hours ago, ngbills said:

Exactly - Mahomes barely broke a sweat last night. The Chiefs essentially scored on every drove but one. They had 5 total 3rd downs all game. The longest drive was only 10 plays long yet they had 4 drives over 60 yards. They could do whatever they wanted to this D. 

And they only beat us by a field goal. Two drops one by Sherfield and one by Diggs and it’s a completely different story. 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

The defense was giving up 9.6 yards per play up until the middle of the 4th quarter (I know because I was following that stat in the box throughout the game).  The Chiefs had 16 total yards over 10 plays in their final two possessions (including the kneel downs), which drove the average down to a still putrid 7.7 yards per play by game's end.  I know they had a ton of injuries, but they were just god awful last night and the primary reason we lost the game. 

We also gave up a horrific 7.6 yards per play in the 13 seconds game.  Sean's defenses have been wretched in the last four playoff losses.  There is no getting around this.

Thanks for the insight.  I went through the play-by-play, but I didn’t do a running total through the game.

My biggest fear right now is that Beane seems to react post-season to the biggest gaps shown in the last game.  So after we lost in 2019, he decided Josh needed a #1 receiver and we traded for Diggs, which was a good move.  In 2020, he decided we needed still more pass rush so he doubled down in the draft on Rousseau and Boogie.  In 2021, after 13 seconds, we still needed to “affect the passer” more so he signed Von Miller as well as drafting a cornerback in the 1st.

There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that Shakir and Kincaid are nice pieces, but we need to give Josh a #1 and #2 WR by drafting a WR high and looking for a quality FA.  But with McDermott in his presser talking about defense and ST, I’m afraid that’s what we’re gonna get.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Jesus, guys, I bet you believed every woman when she said you satisfied her, too.

I don't know; I've never seen a woman capable of speech afterwards. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Some of the responses on this thread are astounding.

Being a professional athlete is huge dedication.  They work like crazy all season.  Some fans are upset that he takes in a little golf before starting more offseason workouts & training?

I don't get it.  Not only is that a sure recipe for burnout - it's ridiculous.

Yeah, the “don’t golf” thing is ridiculous.  Just physically, a guy can’t train and throw more than a couple hours a day.  He can do some mental stuff and watch film in a methodical way to train his mind a couple hours a day.  He can do football stuff 8 hrs in the off-season and still spend 3-4 hrs a day playing golf.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I don't know; I've never seen a woman capable of speech afterwards. 🤷‍♂️

Easiest.  Fake.  Ever.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, eball said:

How is that any different than any other team?  Mahomes had a play a perfect game to beat the Bills...and he did.

Sure 

but Kelce really stepped it up too

the stats balled 

ours took a back seat to Josh again.  Time would be changed if Diggs made that catch

or a couple of times this season we need him to make a catch on a jump ball and for whatever reason didn’t (Europe comes to mind)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nklaiste1 said:

Our receivers weren't the reason we lost to KC it was our defense. 

Well, the team that scores the most points tends to win, the O had a chance to win it and  Diggs got hit in the hands and couldn’t catch it.. sooooo

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Well, the team that scores the most points tends to win, the O had a chance to win it and  Diggs got hit in the hands and couldn’t catch it.. sooooo

Yes but let's say Diggs caught that pass and we scored on that drive. 

That means KC is still getting the ball back with a couple minutes left.... do you really think our defense would've stopped Mahomes?

I don't. 

11 hours ago, ngbills said:

We are running a high school offense right now. Your QB is the best athlete so keep the ball in his hands with a ton of runs and short throws like you have no real wr's. I know McD likes this style but I dont think its sustainable. Every drive takes max effort and will wear your team down as the season goes. We need a combo of the short game with the big plays. That is the NFL. Go watch DET, BAL, SF, etc and they do both. 

This was how the Chiefs won a championship last season. Methodically moved the ball down the field with short stuffs. So it does work. 

Thanks for the insight.  I went through the play-by-play, but I didn’t do a running total through the game.

My biggest fear right now is that Beane seems to react post-season to the biggest gaps shown in the last game.  So after we lost in 2019, he decided Josh needed a #1 receiver and we traded for Diggs, which was a good move.  In 2020, he decided we needed still more pass rush so he doubled down in the draft on Rousseau and Boogie.  In 2021, after 13 seconds, we still needed to “affect the passer” more so he signed Von Miller as well as drafting a cornerback in the 1st.

There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that Shakir and Kincaid are nice pieces, but we need to give Josh a #1 and #2 WR by drafting a WR high and looking for a quality FA.  But with McDermott in his presser talking about defense and ST, I’m afraid that’s what we’re gonna get.

I have to think one of the biggest things that stood out in that game was those deep shots that were perfect and just bounced off the WR's hands, if that doesn't tell Beane to do something about it nothing will. Defense was definitely maybe a bigger overall problem but it was also a fluke problem, it was ridiculous how many of our key defenders went down this year and then went down right at a critical moment of the season.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Can't say we didn't have opportunities...I mean in 2019 we drafted Cody Ford over DK Metcalf, Deebo Samuel and AJ Brown.  Maybe the Bills have a scouting problem too? 

to many players taken for what they might some day become rather than what they have done. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nklaiste1 said:

Yes but let's say Diggs caught that pass and we scored on that drive. 

That means KC is still getting the ball back with a couple minutes left.... do you really think our defense would've stopped Mahomes?

I don't. 

The previous 3 drives, Bills D forced KC to punt twice, and Poyer forced a touchback.  Offense had opportunities to take back lead, but our WR not named Dalton and Shakir cannot catch a ***** football.  Yes that means you Diggs, Cook, and Sheffield.  You are more responsible for the Bills loss than Bass.  We are desperate for WR 1 and 2. 

Who is more done- Diggs or Von?  Von will be better next year.  Diggs got worse game by game

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Beane is very reactive and generally not very proactive.  Probably not a great way to run a pro sports franchise.

• Agree 1

Allen has done everything imaginable.  He's the entire heartbeat of the team and is responsible for everything good.  But he's known for not beating Mahomes or Burrow when it matters, in consecutive seasons in the playoffs at home, which sucks.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Allen has done everything imaginable.  He's the entire heartbeat of the team and is responsible for everything good.  But he's known for not beating Mahomes or Burrow when it matters, in consecutive seasons in the playoffs at home, which sucks.

Which is unfortunate…Injuries, bad coaching decisions, O coordinator changes, poor play designs…..yeah, it’s all Allen’s fault. Give me a break. 

16 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Backing out the 3 kneel downs at the end of the game, and the kneel down at the end of the half, that's 367 yards on 43 plays - that's 8.53 yards/play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.