Falcons request interview with Joe Brady for HC job

14 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

According to Rich Eisin belly check is going back for a second interview…, so that’s not likely a big issue, 

They are also interviewing Harbaugh again as well. So Brady likely doesn’t get the job. 

These interviews need to wait until the seasons over. No matter what is said, it is a distraction. How could it not be. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

They are also interviewing Harbaugh again as well. So Brady likely doesn’t get the job. 

These interviews need to wait until the seasons over. No matter what is said, it is a distraction. How could it not be. 

Is he bing interviewed possibly for OC?  Or add another title so it’s not a lateral move?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

As if Harbaugh will be taking that job.  🤣 

• Like (+1) 1

If he interviewed in 2021 this would be his second interview so he would have a leg up on the others . Coaching in the NFL is moving toward getting younger faster & more innovative i guess when it comes to game plans & airing it out & a lot of younger coaches in college and NFL assistants are in that mold .

I think the only way BB gets hired is by a team that has been a bottom dweller for a long time & put all their eggs in BB's basket strictly because of his reputation & in hopes he can get them out of the cellar and with doing that not hire a younger more up to the times HC .

But every team will look to the Bills staff if hired because Pegs, Beane, & McD have become (weather the fans think it or not) the top of the food chain in the NFL and other teams want what they got and will take who they can when they can so these types of things are expected each year .

17 hours ago, klos63 said:

Didn't we use that logic with Dorsey too? It's not like our offense has been lighting up it, it's just that Brady loosened the reigns on Allen, which any of us would have done the same. I'm not ragging on Brady, but I'm not overly impressed and would love the opportunity to get a great, established OC.

Uh oh,  someone's feelings get hurt? 

Brady loosened the reigns on Allen with regards to running the ball.

As far as passing, he's tightened the reigns. Josh has been more disciplined as a thrower since Brady took over.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If you want to have no interviews until after the playoffs then you need to lose something else out of the calendar. The obvious candidate is pre-season which would allow camp to start later meaning you could move the break back and give people all of July off. But the NFL won't do that.

It hasn't helped that they added another game to the schedule. I remember when the Super Bowl was played in mid-late January.

This year's game is on 2/11.

16 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I love when you all get upset at things out of your control.  

Screw you. Just shut up!!!

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They are very likely conscious that Belichick has the power here. They want to turn the screw a little bit. Don't jerk us around we have other options it is yes or no.

The interesting part of the Falcons/Belichick interview is that it didn't include Rick McKay who has been GM, President, and then CEO for Arthur Blank for 20 years.

I wonder how McKay feels about being asked not to be in the room.

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This part of the game is ridiculous. There needs to be a quiet period until at least the superbowl. 

13 hours ago, Beast said:

No, it is the Rooney rule. 

As in Ed Rooney, the Principal from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

That's really weird! Ferris is the last name of that Chiefs fan/shopping cart guy in the video @rusty shackleford posted!

What's going on here?

10 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It hasn't helped that they added another game to the schedule. I remember when the Super Bowl was played in mid-late January.

This year's game is on 2/11.

Yep. They have run out of space in the schedule. If they want to add anything else or delay things they need something else to make way.

• Like (+1) 1

This is always going to be an issue with McD here. And he's missed on OC's half the time. So lets say we win tomorrow and Brady gets hired away...we're now at the mercy of another McD pick and if it doesn't go well like Dennison or Dorsey, we throw away another 1-2 years and take the gamble on the next OC? And if it does go well, we most likely lose that OC after just a season or two and we start the cycle all over again. We're doing all of this just to keep McD here? A guy who's not even a good in-game head coach?

It's just not a great long-term plan. These are precious years we have with a franchise QB. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/19/2024 at 8:29 PM, rusty shackleford said:

Then he should be reported to the cart narcs:

This is hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

But who gives this guy time of day? This guy engages him. I'd just give him a quick "bird" and leave some rubber on the pavement. Getting all upset is how they win. You just go about your day and then all they did is get themselves all upset.

"It gets the wheels all gummed up"

I would just laugh at that rediculous statement. Tell me you're a dependent without telling me you're a dependent.

Funny thing is I always being my cart to the corral, but now I wanna start leaving it around and hope to see one of these clowns! Maybe he'll try to throw a magnet on the truck while I'm pulling away🤣

• Dislike 1

On 1/19/2024 at 1:17 PM, somnus00 said:

That's a nice little distraction for our OC before the divisional playoff game. Thank you, falcons. 

That’s why I don’t understand why the league doesn’t just prohibit interviews until after the Super Bowl.

4 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

That’s why I don’t understand why the league doesn’t just prohibit interviews until after the Super Bowl.

As has been explained multiple times..... there is not enough time in the schedule to allow that given the timing of the combine, free agency and the draft. 

The NFL would have to move everything else back at least 2 weeks and they are down to only 4 weeks off between mini camp and camp already. They are the only weeks coaches and personnel guys get off the entire year.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

It absolutely should be prohibited until after SB. And Brady just interviewed yesterday. A day before a playoff game. It's sick.

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As has been explained multiple times..... there is not enough time in the schedule to allow that given the timing of the combine, free agency and the draft. 

The NFL would have to move everything else back at least 2 weeks and they are down to only 4 weeks off between mini camp and camp already. They are the only weeks coaches and personnel guys get off the entire year.

I know this is the line. You've said this to me on my thread about this exact topic.

Here's the thing Bill, I don't know if you've worked in pro sports as you seem to have pretty good knowledge of the inner workings.

Respectfully though... This is an employee's perspective response. I don't say that to be a dick. Actually you seem pretty plugged in.

My point is this... It IS doable. If the owners decided to make it the rule, it may be a logistical challenge, but it would 100% be manageable.

Now you're point about the tight schedule and scouting being behind, etc are obviously legitimate concerns and might even be why owners don't take up this issue.

But if they wanted to they could. It's not empirically impossible as you seem to assert.

As I said in my response last time- these are highly paid professionals. They can adjust.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t really think this is a big deal. We’re talking about a 30-60 minute interview with probably like an hour of prep or something. I feel like most of us have probably interviewed for jobs while working another job; I’ve never felt that it impacted my work in any way. I promise you Brady is not literally coaching 24/7; he has time to have a conversation with other people in his schedule. 

Teams have to figure out their coaching staff earlier than later and banning playoff coaches from interviewing would just be stupid. Either forces teams to not hire the best coaches or forces the best coordinators to purposefully take worse jobs so that they don’t have to worry about not being able to interview when the call for a HC position comes up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

It absolutely should be prohibited until after SB. And Brady just interviewed yesterday. A day before a playoff game. It's sick.

I know this is the line. You've said this to me on my thread about this exact topic.

Here's the thing Bill, I don't know if you've worked in pro sports as you seem to have pretty good knowledge of the inner workings.

Respectfully though... This is an employee's perspective response. I don't say that to be a dick. Actually you seem pretty plugged in.

My point is this... It IS doable. If the owners decided to make it the rule, it may be a logistical challenge, but it would 100% be manageable.

Now you're point about the tight schedule and scouting being behind, etc are obviously legitimate concerns and might even be why owners don't take up this issue.

But if they wanted to they could. It's not empirically impossible as you seem to assert.

As I said in my response last time- these are highly paid professionals. They can adjust.

It is only doable if they are willing to lose something else from the schedule. That is the point. They can't delay hiring season further and then just cram it in. Something would have to make way. And the NFL isn't gonna cut pre-season even though that is the logical choice.

If they take him that's great!  Forces us to do a legitimate search/hire with the entire league as our shopping ground.

Which is how we should have done it in the first place.

Having said that, Brady seems to have fixed the problems created by Dorsey, and he hasn't even had time to instill HIS offense.

He needs an offseason for that; so if he stays or goes, I'm OK.

The simple solution is to say no interviews or hires until after the Super Bowl.

Push the combine and draft a couple weeks. It only affects coaches and front office people. There's plenty of time.

NFL off-season is already 3 years long! And teams like the Patriots can give their coaches vacation for most of January and February.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1

On 1/21/2024 at 5:19 AM, GunnerBill said:

I read Peter King being down on the current system because of coaches on playoff teams prepping for and being interviewed instead of preparing for a playoff game.  His suggested solution was for coaches on playoff teams to not be allowed to interview for positions until their team was eliminated.

That of course wouldn’t be fair to those coaches as some teams with openings wouldn’t want to wait.

5 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I read Peter King being down on the current system because of coaches on playoff teams prepping for and being interviewed instead of preparing for a playoff game.  His suggested solution was for coaches on playoff teams to not be allowed to interview for positions until their team was eliminated.

That of course wouldn’t be fair to those coaches as some teams with openings wouldn’t want to wait.

It has always been the case that coaches on teams who get to the Superbowl are disadvantaged in terms of getting jobs. But there just isn't time to delay the whole thing.

After Brian Callahan was hired, I can see this happening. NFL is a copycat league, and with all the strong candidates available, the Titans went young OC. Terry Fontenot is the GM there. If they hire Belichick or Harbaugh, he is essentially gone. Fontenot comes from New Orleans and will know Brady well from that organization. They could hire Brady and bring in Pete Carmichael Jr to be his OC, both really familiar with the NFC South. In fact there were a lot of rumors in 2021 that this would be the pairing in Atlanta before they hired Arthur Smith. So I think this has some legs to it unless Arthur Blank ignores his people. 

21 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Gunner what do you think about Kliff Kingsbury as OC? I brought him up in another thread. I think he'd be good for Josh. 

Would need to radically alter the WR room. But it is an offense with at least enough similarity that there would be some conceptual carry over. But we'd need more speed for sure. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Would need to radically alter the WR room. But it is an offense with at least enough similarity that there would be some conceptual carry over. But we'd need more speed for sure. 

Isnt that a need already?

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Gunner what do you think about Kliff Kingsbury as OC? I brought him up in another thread. I think he'd be good for Josh. 

Hard to tell what was Kingsbury and what was Caleb just going off script, but USC's offense was horrendous to watch this season. They managed to take a QB with extraordinary playmaking chops and great physical tools and make him one of the least fun scouting experiences of my life.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.