Falcons request interview with Joe Brady for HC job

Honestly, I haven't seen enough from Joe Brady yet to feel totally heartbroken if he gets a job elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong: I like a lot of what I've seen so far, and it seems like he may have a bright future. But he hasn't exactly proven himself to be an indispensable, unreplaceable, brilliant offensive mind that should have Bills fans weeping if he departs.

If he gets the OC job here for next year, great. If he's hired away, so be it. I wouldn't hate a fresh mind with fresh ideas being brought in. There should be no shortage of capable offensive minds champing at the bit to work with Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

If you were Brady and had your choice of OC jobs between the Bills (Josh Allen) or Falcons (QB ?) which would you think would be better for your career ?

I think If Brady is offered the OC job in Buffalo, he'd stay rather than work under Chuckles Belichick.

• Agree 1

This comes up every year and every year it’s the same conclusion - why do they allow this to happen during the playoffs. There should be absolutely no interviewing of any personnel during the off season. They need to make a rule that you cannot start interviewing coaches until after the teams are eliminated from the playoffs. 

23 minutes ago, nucci said:

it's Friday night. The game plan is in and we don't know when he'll interview. It's not a distraction

What if they win Sunday night? Then it would certainly become a distraction, no? Whether they admit it or not, preparing for, or even knowing that, the biggest job interview of your life is upcoming would certainly be a distraction. 

• Agree 1

All interviews with teams still in playoffs are remote/virtual until they are eliminated.

We cannot block it, nor should we. Only if it was for same position. 

They did interview Brady in 2021 before hiring Smith. So they have real interest. 

It may be due diligence, or Billcheat wanted to much power. 

1 hour ago, KellyToTasker said:

We’d have to assume they can bring in the right guy. They’ve missed before and were fortunate enough to have made the good to decision to have Brady on staff. 

I don’t consider Brady leaving a tremendous opportunity. I consider Brady having a full offseason and year with Allen a tremendous opportunity. 

Another OC just creates more learning and lack of consistency for Allen. Really NOTHING seems appealing about Brady leaving. 

Didn't we use that logic with Dorsey too? It's not like our offense has been lighting up it, it's just that Brady loosened the reigns on Allen, which any of us would have done the same. I'm not ragging on Brady, but I'm not overly impressed and would love the opportunity to get a great, established OC.

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

are you always this insufferable?

lol, rhetorical question

Uh oh,  someone's feelings get hurt? 

• Like (+1) 1

This very well could be a hey we're going to hire Belichick as the HC but we'd like for you to come down and interview you and give you the OC job with the opportunity to take over for him after he retires. I could see something like that going down since he's the Bills interim OC and isn't guaranteed to keep the OC job even though it appears likely he would.

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

are you always this insufferable?

lol, rhetorical question

Just curious how you respond to posts when  pretty much everytime a black assistant gets an HC interview and some asshat immediately dismisses the interviewee as a Rooney Rule candidate. Happened quite a bit earlier this week when Frazier was interviewed.

16 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

This comes up every year and every year it’s the same conclusion - why do they allow this to happen during the playoffs. There should be absolutely no interviewing of any personnel during the off season. They need to make a rule that you cannot start interviewing coaches until after the teams are eliminated from the playoffs. 

And the same answer comes up every year - there isn't enough time in the calendar to delay it. 4 weeks to shortlist, interview, select a coach. Hire an entire staff. Evaluate your entire roster. Then negotiate contracts with the agents of pending FAs you want to keep. Then evaluate and decide which FAs from outside you want to target. 

Can you move free agency back? Sure. Then you have to move the draft back. And then you run out of space for rookie camps before the one month a year that coaches and personnel people actually get off between mid-June and camp opening in mid-July. 

If you want to have no interviews until after the playoffs then you need to lose something else out of the calendar. The obvious candidate is pre-season which would allow camp to start later meaning you could move the break back and give people all of July off. But the NFL won't do that.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

He seems good,  but an OC job opening to coach Allen, Diggs, Kincaid,  Cook... would attract the best of the best.  

I'd consider it a tremendous opportunity for the team. 

That's cool and all, until you look around at the candidates out there and find out Brady is one of the top options as it is.

There's been such a rush to push Offensive coaches up the ladder and make them HCs that we're to the point most of the proven talent is gone and already in HC or OC jobs.

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Who are you thinking?

Honestly,  haven't put much thought into it other than Reich. But lots of coaches lost their jobs last week and there are probably a lot that I don't even know of.  But I'm sure there is talent out there. 

Just now, klos63 said:

Honestly,  haven't put much thought into it other than Reich. But lots of coaches lost their jobs last week and there are probably a lot that I don't even know of.  But I'm sure there is talent out there. 

I'd rather Joe Brady than Frank Reich. Every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If Brady were to go the two established guys I'd want to interview are Bieniemy and Kellen Moore. 

Arthur Smith is a good OC who is out there but he isn't a fit here for Josh and the offense we want to run.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If McDermott thinks he's the best option, I'd trust him.  I just don't want to use the same logic as before.  I questioned the Dorsey hiring at the time,  and I would question this if they didn't at least see if there are better options available. 

We haven't been lighting up the scoreboard under Brady, and this is an amazing opportunity that many coaches would jump at.  I'm just saying to take advantage of the opportunity and hire the best available OC, be it Brady, Reich or someone else.

13 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

All interviews with teams still in playoffs are remote/virtual until they are eliminated.

We cannot block it, nor should we. Only if it was for same position. 

They did interview Brady in 2021 before hiring Smith. So they have real interest. 

It may be due diligence, or Billcheat wanted to much power. 

According to Rich Eisin belly check is going back for a second interview…, so that’s not likely a big issue, 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm pretty shocked by this. Wonder if they are scouting ahead for him as OC if the Bills don't keep him in the position.

I dunno why you are shocked.  He did a good job taking over the roll mid season and he has had at least 3 HC interviews in the past.  The guy was already on peoples radar from before.  He is young and an offensive minded coach.  This is not shocking to me at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'd rather Joe Brady than Frank Reich. Every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If Brady were to go the two established guys I'd want to interview are Bieniemy and Kellen Moore. 

Arthur Smith is a good OC who is out there but he isn't a fit here for Josh and the offense we want to run.

I think Moore is getting HC interviews, so he might be tough to get,  but I'd like him too.  Chances are he'd be one and done though.  We'd win our 2nd straight super bowl and he'll definitely get a HC job. 

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I think Moore is getting HC interviews, so he might be tough to get,  but I'd like him too.  Chances are he'd be one and done though.  We'd win our 2nd straight super bowl and he'll definitely get a HC job. 

I think he has only had an interview this year as an internal candidate in LA. No other interviews this time around though he has had in the past.

Shane Waldron is the other name on my list if Seattle don't retain him.

EDIT: and actually for someone like Kellen Moore if he doesn't get the Chargers job (he won't) and isn't retained then come work with Josh for a year and you are guaranteed interviews next time around is a pretty good sell. I mean Ken Dorsey had HC interviews last year. I now think he will be lucky to land an OC job this cycle.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm pretty shocked by this. Wonder if they are scouting ahead for him as OC if the Bills don't keep him in the position.

Honest question (and not to throw shade at Brady) . What qualities are the Falcons seeing in Brady as HC material? He has been the OC for just a few games (I realize he has history but it's not too flattering).

I would think that teams want to see more of a track record before considering a coordinator for their top job. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I dunno why you are shocked.  He did a good job taking over the roll mid season and he has had at least 3 HC interviews in the past.  The guy was already on peoples radar from before.  He is young and an offensive minded coach.  This is not shocking to me at all.

I am not shocked he got an interview this cycle. I would be shocked if he got a job this cycle, however.

10 minutes ago, klos63 said:

We haven't been lighting up the scoreboard under Brady,

What is lighting up the scoreboard?  We are 6th in the NFL on the season and 2 ppg out of 2nd place.  No team is sitting there scoring 30+ points a game on offense every week.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Honest question (and not to throw shade at Brady) . What qualities are the Falcons seeing in Brady as HC material? He has been the OC for just a few games (I realize he has history but it's not too flattering).

I would think that teams want to see more of a track record before considering a coordinator for their top job. 

That's a good question. 

My guess is having any sort of success with a very good organization looks great on a resume. He's clearly helped Josh during the 2nd half of the season. 

11 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I’d want him as the QB coach more than the offensive coordinator.  A calming presence on the sideline for Josh, been a qb in the NFL before, coached a wide range of QB’s before from Luck to Wentz to Foles, and can maybe provide Brady with some wrinkles in his game plan.  Not sure if he’d take the job though.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

That's a good question. 

My guess is having any sort of success with a very good organization looks great on a resume. He's clearly helped Josh during the 2nd half of the season. 

And this isnt even fully Brady's scheme on Offense. I don't get it

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

What is lighting up the scoreboard?  We are 6th in the NFL on the season and 2 ppg out of 2nd place.  No team is sitting there scoring 30+ points a game on offense every week.

It's not 20 , 24, 27 and 21. 4 last regular season games.

I am not shocked he got an interview this cycle. I would be shocked if he got a job this cycle, however.

I would not be shocked if he got a job.  Maybe a little surprised but not shocked.  I mean, I don't think he will but I wouldn't be like totally stunned if he did.  I think if he is the Bills OC and does well next year he will definitely get a job though.

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I would not be shocked if he got a job.  Maybe a little surprised but not shocked.  I mean, I don't think he will but I wouldn't be like totally stunned if he did.  I think if he is the Bills OC and does well next year he will definitely get a job though.

Yea I agree a full year with Josh he will be a top candidate and may well land a job next year if it goes well. 

But I don't think he is getting the Atlanta job. I think Belichick is.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.