Wild card round - Steelers @ Bills - 1st half game thread

BuffaloBill

Just now, finn said:

This board would have erupted if McD had punted. It was a good call, but, truthfully, a punt would have been better if it pinned them way back with three minutes on the clock. 

It was the second down call that started the "Final Destination" sequence of events that has followed the Bills this year. A conservative call there takes you to 2:00 if nothing else, as Romo pointed out. That was the failure, and it was Brady's failure in game management rather than McD for a change.

3 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

What a strange half. The Bills should be up at least 24-0 if not 28-0. But we are doing really well and Brady has been good. The Martin injury could be bad though and no I dont think its a crazy idea to get Araiza in immediately. Also the non fumble might be one of the worst and most inexplicable calls in playoff history. Up there with the tuck rule play for Brady!

i get it, but we did get the ball back on the elam pick and scored a td......

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

So does this mean they are gonna go for it every 4th down ? They have to have some kind of solution in the event of this scenario.  

Bass is probably the backup

Just now, NoName said:

A blocked punt and people are all over McDermott.  Ridiculous.  

It is just poor game management. We don't get the clock down to the 2 minute warning. Then in a game we're already winning by 3 TDs we send out our shaky kicker in windy conditions and ask the worst unit on our team to execute... Just punt and put the Steelers in a 2 minute drill with the whole field to go. That is smart coaching.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Still one of the worst situationally aware coaching staffs in the league. 

You 🤡’s must not watch other teams. They refused to use Bass in better conditions than this, they are up 3 scores, last set of downs they should have been about running the clock down. 4th down they either should have went for it or punted it out inside the 10. Now they have lost their punter, several injuries on defense Possibly best receiver out. all because we played like fools on that drive. 

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Right.  Romo was right.  Up by 21, keep the clock running by running on second down. Force Steelers to use time outs.  

And you're right about the field goal.  No need for it there.  

McDermott really does have clock issues. 

With the way the defense has been playing I think McD was counting on getting the ball back before half.  A bit greedy, but we wanted to score with 2:30 left and leave enough time for us to score again.

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

It’s really embarrassing hearing so many people bitching and moaning. Fans have so little respect for the talent on this team and the HC. 

It really is panic city here.  unless they shut out Pittsburgh that’s the only thing that would suffice.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

We can sign any punter not currently under contract...and the season is now over for a lot of players.

We can also sign a punter off any practice squad as long as that team is not in the playoffs.  

We can get someone in there who knows how to punt at the NFL level.

won't be the best, but it's not unfixable nightmare.

Yeah just get through this game not the end of the world.

Just now, HappyDays said:

It is just poor game management. We don't get the clock down to the 2 minute warning. Then in a game we're already winning by 3 TDs we send out our shaky kicker in windy conditions and ask the worst unit on our team to execute... Just punt and put the Steelers in a 2 minute drill with the whole field to go. That is smart coaching.

Exactly, how many times can we shoot ourselves in the foot with poor decisions?

Just now, Rew said:

I probably would have gone for it, but don't hate the call.  We're going to have to count on Bass in the off-season, and that was a good low pressure opportunity to see how you're feeling about him.  Can't let result dictate assessment of the decision.

I don't disagree necessarily... I just thought at that point, Josh had just missed the throw to Diggs... It's 7 yards...Or you play it safe up 21. I don't want to kill McD over it, I just thought at the time, why? Plus Martin has been decent pinning teams deep this year. But it is what it is. Bad break...

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

It’s really embarrassing hearing so many people bitching and moaning. Fans have so little respect for the talent on this team and the HC. 

The talent on this team is unbelievable! We have the best team in football and the best QB on the planet BUT our coaches lack situational awareness. 2nd and 7 a little over 2 minutes left in Pittsburgh territory. YOU RUN THE BALL! It gets down to 2 minutes and then at worst it’s 3rd and 5 and we get them to burn a timeout and kick a FG. Just awful decision making and it’s the biggest reason every game is a nail bitter when it doesn’t have to be 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Ralonzo said:

That was the failure, and it was Brady's failure in game management rather than McD for a change.

Why Brady?  Doesn't the HC tell th OC about clock management issues?  I'd think McD would be on the line to Brady telling him to run the clock.