The pass to Johnson at the end of the first half...

eball

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Why isn’t one WR at least in the end zone?  Who is Josh supposed to throw to?

either Kincaid or Knox is running a corner EZ but to me it looks like it's just designed to lift Baker

it's not a very sharp route at the top tho and it doesn't occupy Baker long enough so he's able to come down and make the tackle

• Like (+1) 1

Watch the ALL 22 from Allen’s viewpoint he felt once he caught it that Johnson should be able to make it a couple yards and score. Ty just didn’t part was him and part was a great defensive play. 
The strip sack I don’t know what Allen is expected to do Torrence literally forgot to block Wilkens and the ball just fell in his lap.

The two ints are just Josh’s year long problems syncing with Gabe Davis. There’s something wrong there but Gabe never ever bails out his QB he can ow goto the Giants for 18 mill a year 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

...ok, so first of all, we KNOW Josh should have only thrown the ball to a guy in the endzone or thrown it away.  That was a mistake.  But if you get past that, it was a good throw to an open guy and it looked like Johnson was going to score until Baker blew him up with a helmet to helmet hit at the goal line.  Why no flag there?   It was blatant and knocked Johnson out of the game with a concussion.

And any fines?  I have not heard of any report week 18 fines and I looked for them.

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

I think McDermott's point was you just launch that out of the back of the endzone and take the three.  Had they scored and everything else played out the same that final dolphins drive would have been different and the tension would have been gone

Josh a dawg…..don’t put a bone in front of him and expect him not to take it….

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it's a simple as the ref didn't see it or wasn't sure and didn't want a game changing play on uncertainty.  

The refs choose to see what they want to see way to often this season.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it's a simple as the ref didn't see it or wasn't sure and didn't want a game changing play on uncertainty.  

The only thing I think you can say is you could definitely hear the helmet to helmet hit

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, eball said:

...ok, so first of all, we KNOW Josh should have only thrown the ball to a guy in the endzone or thrown it away.  That was a mistake.  But if you get past that, it was a good throw to an open guy and it looked like Johnson was going to score until Baker blew him up with a helmet to helmet hit at the goal line.  Why no flag there?   It was blatant and knocked Johnson out of the game with a concussion.

Everyone who’s being objective asks the same question. That and the obvious PI on Knox in the end zone right before Josh throws the pick on the 1st drive, are 2 missed calls that could have changed the outcome. Bills could have been up 21 to 7 at the half instead of down 14 to 7.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I had no issues with the throw. He got tackled at the 1. It was a good effort all around.

There were no receivers in the end zone , so it would have had to been a throw away. Poor play design maybe someone deeper in the end zone would have drawn the safety away. 

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There was an official right behind with an unobstructed view, he chose not to call it.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

In the USFL, the booth ref is constantly watching the replay, so when he sees that type of thing not called, he calls down to the ref to stop the game and they correct it. They're able to do it before the next play even starts.

It wastes no time and is so easy.

That would cause the NFL to lose control of the outcome.

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Watch the ALL 22 from Allen’s viewpoint he felt once he caught it that Johnson should be able to make it a couple yards and score. Ty just didn’t part was him and part was a great defensive play. 
The strip sack I don’t know what Allen is expected to do Torrence literally forgot to block Wilkens and the ball just fell in his lap.

The two ints are just Josh’s year long problems syncing with Gabe Davis. There’s something wrong there but Gabe never ever bails out his QB he can ow goto the Giants for 18 mill a year 

Nobody is running back towards Allen to bail him out, poor coaching on that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I was fine with the decision by Josh.   In retrospect of course, it cost the Bills a field goal, and I get the argument that therefore the throw needs to go into the end zone. But in the moment, that was a play that looked like a touchdown.  A throw to a running back on the two, on the run, is almost always a TD.  You have to trust your teammates to make plays.  Josh made that decision.  The Dolphins just made a better play.  

My stream froze right when Josh released the ball so I had a lot of time to look at it and I was pretty sure it was gonna be a td 😂

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

My stream froze right when Josh released the ball so I had a lot of time to look at it and I was pretty sure it was gonna be a td 😂

That must have been a really interesting several seconds in your house. :lol:

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

There are two problems here. First no call on the helmet to helmet (this being the second BEYOND obvious foul that should have been called, first being the Knox PI) the other issue is McD waisted the last TO with 57 seconds left. We were over the 50, had a first down and plenty of time. Just spike it. 

It may be a complete coincidence but since the Dunne article after the Philly game, it's almost as if McDermott is getting out of the way and making the correct game management decisions, or at least allowing them to be made. I can't recall yelling over a dumb timeout, bad challenge, giving the opponent the wind in the 2nd and 4th, etc. Even the 4th-and-puss they tried at the 2 minute warning they followed up with a 4th-and-push, which was the right game management decision even if it failed (though it'd be nice to have a changeup, you could see them catching up to the fastball)

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Can the booth review missed penalties in the last two minutes?  In college, targeting can be buzzed down from the booth.

31 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

It may be a complete coincidence but since the Dunne article after the Philly game, it's almost as if McDermott is getting out of the way and making the correct game management decisions, or at least allowing them to be made. I can't recall yelling over a dumb timeout, bad challenge, giving the opponent the wind in the 2nd and 4th, etc. Even the 4th-and-puss they tried at the 2 minute warning they followed up with a 4th-and-push, which was the right game management decision even if it failed (though it'd be nice to have a changeup, you could see them catching up to the fastball)

Maybe someone talked him into trying the George Costanza "Do the complete opposite of your first instinct" approach?

• Like (+1) 1

I have been waiting for someone to start this topic.  MCDermott at halftime said that the throw should have been into the end zone.  I disagree.  It should have been a defenseless receiver penalty and one more down at the goal line.  Also should have been PI on Knox before that and Cook should have caught the TD after that.  I don't agree with Allen getting any criticism there.    

15 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Can the booth review missed penalties in the last two minutes?  In college, targeting can be buzzed down from the booth.

I would be for it.

1 hour ago, Nuncha said:

The refs choose to see what they want to see way to often this season.

The thing is, I am not as hard on refs as most because I have done it.  Not NFL, middle school level.  Even at that level, you miss calls because there’s so many things going on.  Basketball is tougher though IMO.

So yes, missed call for sure but I take as it happens and there’s 150 other plays that can be made.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I had no issues with the throw. He got tackled at the 1. It was a good effort all around.

I think if Josh leads him by about 2 more feet he scores. I have no problem with the decision to throw it. And as stated it was a clear helmet to helmet and ball at 6 inch line. Josh scores on the next play about 90% likely. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

I think if Josh leads him by about 2 more feet he scores. I have no problem with the decision to throw it. And as stated it was a clear helmet to helmet and ball at 6 inch line. Josh scores on the next play about 90% likely. 

No time for a next play though.  No time outs.

I feel a dive over the defender with arms stretched out gets the score, if it gets fumbled before it hits the line then it gets fumbled but he tried to lower his helmet instead and got put to the ground

Edited by motorj

5 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Can't tell you how annoyed I was at that McD comment.

You're the head coach. You can't call a play with multiple guys running routes short of the EZ and then blame the QB when he throws it to one of them. 

Par for the course for our HC that never accepts personal responsibility on mistakes. 

The thing is McDermott isn’t calling plays on offense so not sure how he gets the blame there. So either they told Josh to throw it away if primary target wasn’t open which resulted in McDermott being pissed. Can’t imagine Johnson was ever supposed to be targeted there. So even though he was open can’t risk it in that part of the field. Points are at a premium come playoff time and if we lost game Josh would have gotten the blame and rightfully so. Allen is going to need to take his game to another level if team is going to win a Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You know meatloaf I didn’t think about it before but how big is the loss of Chad Hall as WR coach? 

🤔 Maybe more than we thought about. Seems like so many mistakes on Hot routes and scrambling drills. Maybe they think his arm can always get it to him, but it would be nice if receivers helped him out from time to time. when I watch these games, it appears our play design as some of the worst in the league or certainly the implementation of it.

• Agree 1

A lot of stuff went uncalled in this game: I generally prefer that to the alternative. On the play in question , I believe Josh thought Ty would be able to break the plane. I don’t recall a receiver actually in the EZ, so I guess a throwaway and 3 point try was the better choice. 

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

I don’t think there was gonna be a next play as the time expired. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

A lot of stuff went uncalled in this game: I generally prefer that to the alternative. On the play in question , I believe Josh thought Ty would be able to break the plane. I don’t recall a receiver actually in the EZ, so I guess a throwaway and 3 point try was the better choice. 

I think what @QLBillsFanwas driving at is if the helmet to helmet penalty was called and since a half can’t end on a defensive penalty, the Bills would have been able to run one last play. However, the ball would not have been marked at the “six inch line” because the penalty yardage would have been marked off from the line of scrimmage.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Penalty gives Bills 1 more play.

16 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yes but penalty if called property, Bills get one more play.

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think what @QLBillsFanwas driving at is if the helmet to helmet penalty was called and since a half can’t end on a defensive penalty, the Bills would have been able to run one last play. However, the ball would not have been marked at the “six inch line” because the penalty yardage would have been marked off from the line of scrimmage.

Hmm why would it not be spotted from the half yard line ? As TJ caught the ball at that point. If an extra down why would the Bills lose yardage. It’s not like it’s a 5 yard Offside. I think it would go from where the Bills had possession and marked from that spot. 

17 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Penalty gives Bills 1 more play.

Yes but penalty if called property, Bills get one more play.

Hmm why would it not be spotted from the half yard line ? As TJ caught the ball at that point. If an extra down why would the Bills lose yardage. It’s not like it’s a 5 yard Offside. I think it would go from where the Bills had possession and marked from that spot. 

Because the penalty for a helmet to helmet hit is 15 yards and not at the spot of the foul. Since the line of scrimmage was the 11 yard line the penalty would be half the distance to the goal and the Bills would have one more play from the five yard line. 

• Disagree 3

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Because the penalty for a helmet to helmet hit is 15 yards and not at the spot of the foul. Since the line of scrimmage was the 11 yard line the penalty would be half the distance to the goal and the Bills would have one more play from the five yard line. 

Yup got ya. So FG. 

8 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

I have not seen it announced anywhere but has Baker been given a fine yet for the hit?

I think the NFL typically announces fines on the following Saturday.

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The issue that McDermott and others have is that if Allen threw it away there would be time for a field goal and at least go into the half 14-10

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think the NFL typically announces fines on the following Saturday.

The issue that McDermott and others have is that if Allen threw it away there would be time for a field goal and at least go into the half 14-10

I'm going to take a different approach here beck... And say I don't even have a problem with the tackle

Everybody is clamoring for a penalty....

I'm sure there is helmet helmet contact.. but there is on every play...

For their positioning and momentum I don't think it really warrants a penalty

I would be furious if Micah Hyde got called for that

He doesn't lead with the crown of his helmet and they both lower their head into contact... This is a division title on the line and the boys were physical

Josh Is 100% coached endzone or out of bounds... But man when you're given that... So close to being a touchdown

In division 1 that is a touchdown... 

The speed of the NFL man... What a great game

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm more disappointed in Ty for running such a shallow route. It should've been deeper putting him at the goal-line on contact. At least giving him a chance to extend the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Had he dropped the ball, yes, but he caught it. The call would have been an unsportsmanlike penalty and would have been tacked on in addition to the yardage gained, not an "either or".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

McD wasted the TO and then he has the nerve to throw Josh under the bus during the mini sideline interview with the reporter chick as McD was jogging off field for halftime!!!

I am pro-McD... BUT that interview had me screaming like a MoFo at the TV!!  Man up McD and blame yourself too for bad clock management!!!

What a rat McD was. Thank God Josh is chill and doesn't dwell on that shi...

TheDudeAbides_JA17version.thumb.jpg.a314f23865701d72da7863613874bef5.jpg

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.