Steelers @ Bills. Monday, January 15th at 4:30pm.

Einstein

16 minutes ago, boyst said:

jekyl and hyde.

do we get McChump, as i have called him?

or...

Will we get McChampion©?

I have now copyrighted McChampion. If this catches on and we win than I receive royalties of $1.5mm internet bucks and 2% of all revenue of the internet.

You can get paid in BTC too. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Perhaps a stupid question, but should the Bills be practicing's outside? Let Josh get accustomed to the wind? 

get the game plan and plays down inside then go outside and run them

37 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

There's always a chance of a letdown. Maybe the the team will be gassed from making the run into the playoffs. They have played 5 straight games of basically playoff football. At some point, that might take it's toll. 

What happened last year vs the Bengals. The team was gassed, emotionally spent, and had nothing. Of course, that was the theme after the fact. 

Lets get ahead of the narrative here. 

Or maybe they are insanely motivated. From down in the dumps a few weeks back to looking solid, home field, Allen seems motivated. Maybe it lit a fire!

40 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

There's always a chance of a letdown. Maybe the the team will be gassed from making the run into the playoffs. They have played 5 straight games of basically playoff football. At some point, that might take it's toll. 

What happened last year vs the Bengals. The team was gassed, emotionally spent, and had nothing. Of course, that was the theme after the fact. 

Lets get ahead of the narrative here. 

a letdown in the wild card playoff game at home? 

Edited by nucci

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Dumb question, as someone might know better than me: do the Steelers have a full time fullback? I know Gilliam here works out with the TEs and there is overlap, but when I look at their roster I see one guy who is supposed to be a TE/FB hybrid and someone on the practice squad.

I know most games aren't won or lost on the quality of a teams fullback in this era of football, but it's a position whose value is a hill I've set to die on, and we have a pretty darned good one in Gilliam. In weather like what it's looking Sunday, it might matter.

(Ask me to go on my FB tract if you like :D )

I think lil Heyward is their TE/FB hybrid.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm more worried about getting in and getting out. Last thing I need is getting stranded in my parking spot.

You should be able to get in and out. My brother works for the Erie County  Highway Dept.  During that snowy Colts game  a while back, they had all available hands plowing Abbott Road and other county roads nearby. Ehe state did  Southwestern (20). He spent the hole day plowing. People had trouble getting out of the lots, but once they did, the roads were clear.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean, the mind and snow are variables that I don't like, but even if we are breaking it down I still like our chances if it's a messy game. Josh has time this week to get used to the wind because it's happening locally (I'm not there, just relying on reports). We also know Brady is not afraid to get into Jumbo packages to run, and I do think we can run on them even in a slog.

At least earlier this week when I was there, it was windy in Pitt, too.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

If the County and State authorities determine it's life threatening travel conditions I would think they'd have to do something..  But will they predict 60-70+ inches like last year? That would be life threatening.  If it's 6-8 inches I'm not sure that alters the timing of the game at all.

Regression?  They just produced 26 first down and 473 total yards vs a pretty decent Miami defense in their house.

And 14 points.  

Did you look at the two games before that?  Not exactly against the Raven starting D either.  

45 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Luckily Knox and Dawkins on Thursday should have enough time to get better from illness and Harry hopefully gets back from his personal matter. Mitch had an illness designation last week on Friday and was already deemed good to play on Sunday the next days.

Hopefully between Davis, Dodson, Douglas and Rapp they at least get 2 of the 4 going. I think Davis is likely out and Douglas will likely play the other two are 50/50.

Everyone is banged up this time of year, not the worst injury report.

@HappyDays reported moderate MCL for Rasul Douglas. Mild is 10-days, but moderate is 2-4 weeks. 

Same thing with Davis’ PCL. Ligament strains don’t seem to heal unless they’re minor within 2-weeks. 

And the other thing - Dodson according to @HappyDays doesn’t just have a Grade 1 AC joint strain, it’s a labrum tear and partial rotator cuff tear. 

So that report made me think none of these guys are going to be right for the rest of the Playoffs.

Sure Dodson might try and go like Phillips last year, yeah he was out there, but he was pass rushing with one arm and the other arm was in an L.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what?  we had over 400 yards of offense in Miami 

you say Allen is our primary ball carrier inside the red zone like it's a bad thing ?   He has 15 rush TD's 

Is it a good thing when he's your only option?  

We're discussing this particular game and whether that's an advantage or not over having two RBs, either of which, in addition to a short passing game, can run the ball at the GL.  

Context

57 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Also, I might not that the Bills often come out of the gates slowly. They can't afford to do this on Sunday. 

The more I analyze this game the more this game scares me. 

Well, as stated, it's a fantastic opportunity for McD & Co. to shine.  

Hopefully they do and we're on to talking about KC coming to Buffalo to get spanked.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

@HappyDays reported moderate MCL for Rasul Douglas. Mild is 10-days, but moderate is 2-4 weeks. 

Same thing with Davis’ PCL. Ligament strains don’t seem to heal unless they’re minor within 2-weeks. 

And the other thing - Dodson according to @HappyDays doesn’t just have a Grade 1 AC joint strain, it’s a labrum tear and partial rotator cuff tear. 

So that report made me think none of these guys are going to be right for the rest of the Playoffs.

Sure Dodson might try and go like Phillips last year, yeah he was out there, but he was pass rushing with one arm and the other arm was in an L.

Damn.

DAMN.

• Agree 1

Update I'm seeing is Saturday night into Sunday morning is worst of the snow, then tapering off Sunday afternoon (not sure of exact timing) but seeing totals of only 2-6 inches for that time period.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Update I'm seeing is Saturday night into Sunday morning is worst of the snow, then tapering off Sunday afternoon (not sure of exact timing) but seeing totals of only 2-6 inches for that time period.

...with 25 mph winds and a wind chill of 5 degrees.

45 minutes ago, Wacka said:

You should be able to get in and out. My brother works for the Erie County  Highway Dept.  During that snowy Colts game  a while back, they had all available hands plowing Abbott Road and other county roads nearby. Ehe state did  Southwestern (20). He spent the hole day plowing. People had trouble getting out of the lots, but once they did, the roads were clear.

I will give WNY grief for a lot of things but snow removal isn't one of them. I've never lived anywhere that had logistics for salting & snow removal on major travel arteries as well organized as this part of the state. I guess practice makes perfect 😂

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Just looking at the PIT vs BAL game from last week got me an extra dose of confidence. 

In a must win game vs backups, the Steelers managed just 17 points. 

Weather was bad, could be similar to Sunday.

Baltimore's drives offensively: Punt, Punt, Fumble, Punt, TD, Halftime, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Fumble, FG, End of game.

I think we're fine as long as we don't do that lol.

I am not even sure Baltimore game planned for that one. That looked like a classic “start the backups, don’t put anything on film” type game. I mean they basically ran straight ahead over and over and over again, no matter the down and distance. 

And they still had a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2024 at 11:48 AM, Einstein's Dog said:

I think we can turn the ball over, just don't do it three times and the game shouldn't be close.

My fear is the Billls try and get too conservative in not having turnovers that they shy away from their normal game.  We should be putting the ball in the air as usual.  If we hit early it could get ugly for Pitt.  People realize that the Bills hitting early is a distinct possibility that is why the point spread is around 10.

Weather may well be a factor and that somewhat benefits Pittsburgh's ground and pound game.

That being said, I trust Allen throwing into elements far more than I would trust Mason Rudolph.

Will likely be one of those situations where teams take more of their shots whenever the wind is at their back. If so, it would benefit us to have the wind at our back in the 4th qtr. and the Steelers going into it to negate any late deep threat Pickens would pose or late field goals.

My real hope is that we get some stops and our offense gets up on them some scores. We should be able to lean on our own running game and TEs too as there should be some windows and matchup issues for them in the middle of the field.

17 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

I sort of like those snow bowls, but think those conditions would benefit the Steelers a bit more than our team.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Weather may well be a factor and that somewhat benefits Pittsburgh's ground and pound game.

That being said, I trust Allen throwing into elements far more than I would trust Mason Rudolph.

Will likely be one of those situations where teams take more of their shots whenever the wind is at the back. If so, it would benefit us to have the wind at our back in the 4th qtr. and the Steelers going into it to negate any late deep threat Pickens would pose or late field goals.

My real hope is that we get some stops and our offense gets up on them some scores. We should be able to lean on our own running game and TEs too as there should be some windows and matchup issues for them in the middle of the field.

It sounds like it could be Arctic tundra type stuff!  That hugely benefits Pittsburgh. They don't have Josh Allen.

All our skill could flush right down the toilet if it's bad enough.

Sounds like FOR SURE it will be in 20s on Sunday, with VERY HIGH WINDS.

The question is when about a foot of snow is going to get dumped....they only know it will avoid Buffalo and the north towns, but how far south will it hammer?  It could be down in the Boston Hills and miss the stadium.

Then again the stadium could be ground zero.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Agree 1

and there it is right on schedule:

Winter Storm Watch in effect from early Saturday afternoon thru 7am Monday

"Winter Storm Watch

From Sat 1 pm until Mon 7 am EST

Action Recommended

Make preparations per the instructions

Issued By

Buffalo - NY, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area

Wyoming, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, and Southern Erie counties

Description

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST THIS EVENING... ...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...

WHAT...For the Winter Weather Advisory, snow. Additional snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches. For the Winter Storm Watch, heavy lake effect snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 7 inches or more possible in the most persistent lake snows with significant blowing and drifting snow possible. Winds could gust as high as 65 mph.

WHERE...Wyoming, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, and Southern Erie counties.

WHEN...For the Winter Weather Advisory, until 10 PM EST this evening. For the Winter Storm Watch, from Saturday afternoon through Monday morning.

IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible during the weekend. Widespread blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. Strongest winds will occur Saturday which could cause tree damage and power outages.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Periods of snow will result in snow covered roads and limited visibilities. Slow down and use caution while driving.

Submit snow reports through our website or social media.

Narrow bands of heavy snow and blowing snow could impact portions of the region. Localized travel problems will be possible."

21 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Move the game to Monday at like 4. It’s MLK Day and a good amount of people already likely have off.

I have no interest in a short week vs KC, Houston, or Cleveland. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

They had one last year vs the Bengals. 

This team isn’t limping in. They have experience in the latest scenario (high winds, snow, physically tough AFC North opponent, etc.). They’re as prepared as you possibly can be. 

Edited by KellyToTasker

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.