Steelers @ Bills. Monday, January 15th at 4:30pm.

Einstein

30 minutes ago, Magox said:

This Bills team is built better for bad weather games than in any time in the past that I can remember.   The defensive line is stout, I imagine Linval will be called up to beef up the Defensive line, the Bills will look to do a lot of running and play action.

23-13 Bills

If the Steelers offense scores 13 I will be disappointed in the Bills’ defense 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

If the Steelers offense scores 13 I will be disappointed in the Bills’ defense 

17 against the Ravens, 30 against the Seahawks, 34 against the Bengals. Dont sleep on them just because they've swapped QBs around a bunch.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Agree, Logic.  And Rudolph has been one of the best QBs in the league over the past three weeks.  We have to protect the ball and get the running game going or this could easily turn into an ugly Sunday.

Let's put that Rudolph statement in context though... All he's really done is manage the games and not turn the ball over. And mostly against subpar d's and backups (Ravens). 3 passing tds in that span btw. He has had some nice throws though. This game is imperative that the Bills don't turn the ball over. That is how it becomes a nail biter.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They're the best coached team in the playoffs, where we have a DC acting as Interim HC and a QB coach acting as Interim OC.

Gonna be a tough one no matter what.

Hopefully, our talent shows up to play and tips the balance back to our favor.

I get the point you're making, but I think you have that part backwards.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Maybe, did a LOT of drinking yesterday. :lol:

I saw you post when you were cracking your first shortly after lunch for a night game and started chuckling....

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I get the point you're making, but I think you have that part backwards.

I'm purposely saying it that way to be a little cheeky, but also illustrate a point about all the time he spends on Defense and the little he spends on Offense/ST.

It's why he needs to either find a DC to take over so he can go back to running the entire team, or take the official demotion to DC full time.

The other units are hurting without proper leadership.

side question: has any team ever made a deep playoff run with half a coaching staff? or even just an interim coordinator for that matter?

Edited by DrDawkinstein

4 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Let's put that Rudolph statement in context though... All he's really done is manage the games and not turn the ball over. And mostly against subpar d's and backups (Ravens). 3 passing tds in that span btw. He has had some nice throws though. This game is imperative that the Bills don't turn the ball over. That is how it becomes a nail biter.

So the key for the Bills is no turnovers and stopping a great run game?

Yeah, dont sleep on the Steelers. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm confused as to what it is that the Steelers do that we're so worried about?

Nothing. But this is one of those games we need Josh to just take the smart play and allow the better Bills to beat the Steelers by 2+ scores.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Felt good man.

Felt like 1999 yesterday...today, I've descended into Hell

I hate hangovers so much in my 50's that now I either don't drink, or I have it plotted out where I can drink for 3-4 days, which means multiple days in a row of breakfast beers to smack down hangovers and then stopping around dinner on the last day so I sleep through the worst part of the butcher's bill. 👍

• Haha (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I hate these large point spreads and I still feel the Bills will make this game way more difficult than necessary even without a superstar like Watt playing for the Steelers especially since Rudolph is a much better '3rd stringer' than Skyler Thompson last year.

With that said, if Allen and this offense don't turn the ball over they likely win without needing the game going down to the final drive and minutes of the game. If not expect more of the same....and even heavier anxiety and dread heading into a possible divisional round match up against a familiar team.

No comments on your preseason predictions?  We’re all waiting.  

• Agree 1

Their receivers are good, can't sleep on them

Rudolph has also played very well since becoming the starter

They too fired their offensive coordinator and it has provided a huge spark

The Steelers are a very formidable opponent, if you don't take them seriously you will be in a lot of trouble 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

22 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree to a point.  I'm not scared of Rudolph, but I think you're understating his accomplishments over the past three weeks.  He threw for 290 (124 rating) and 274 (112.2 rating) in consecutive weeks against the Bengals and Seahawks - two teams who were playing for their playoff lives.  Then, in a must win game on the road in terrible weather against the Ravens' backups, he delivered a 90% completion, 115 rating game to push the Steelers into the playoffs. He hasn't thrown a pick this year, so I don't think you can count on him giving the game to us. The guy is more than capable of doing what Mac Jones did to us earlier in the season if we are not 100% locked in on Sunday.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

It's clearly going to be very windy which will neutralize Josh's arm. These last 3 games Cook has averaged 3.5, 3.0 and last night 2.8.  He's hasn't run with confidence or conviction since Dallas. This game will be low scoring even without Watt. And Tomlin will try to muddy things up beyond the wind. Josh must embrace the checkdown and the running game must return. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Too bad we don’t have a dome. Inclement weather always favors the lesser team by leveling the playing field a bit.

We obviously can't control gameday conditions, but I've always wondered why we don't tarp the field for a few days leading up to the game. I would think that would at least reduce the slipperyness? Or am I just completely off-base with that? Instead of removing snow from  the field - make sure it never touches it. It was tough to watch our guys slipping and sliding during the Cinci playoff game. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Still a bit far out to be sure of weather in that 3 hour block on Sunday. We’ll know with more certainty on Thursday or Friday.

Re your 2nd sentence above: I was thinking the same thing about TJ Watt being able to play. How do they ALREADY know about him? I'm quite certain that he and the team are going to do everything humanly possible in order to have him out there on the field at 1:05pm on Sunday.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

If you want to kiss him that's on you. I don't swing that way but no judgement. I think we are better off without him. I doubt he has any kind of serious injury as he would have been on crutches if that was the case

Whoops!

• Haha (+1) 1

They are going to have to protect the ball.  Cook is going to get a lot of carries in this one and I hope they keep Fournette active.

If they can keep the turnovers to a minimum and put up 21 or more points, I think they win.  I don't see Pittsburgh scoring more than 17 or so.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

They are going to have to protect the ball.  Cook is going to get a lot of carries in this one and I hope they keep Fournette active.

I can't see why they wouldn't in a game they may need to focus more on running the ball.  Fournette is a good 30 pounds heavier than Cook and it's all muscle.  I'd let Fournette batter them as often as possible, their D will be worn out in the second half.  

Edited by GottaRun
  • Agree 3

The weather is the weather.  It's going to be colder in KC for their game against the fish.

Steelers are a decent team that does most things well, but nothing great.  It seems the type of team the Bills need to

execute their game plan and let the Steelers worry how to stop them on offense.  Keeping Josh clean (sans Watt) will be key.

Defensively, might just come down to stopping their running game while still implementing the passing shell like they have been doing.

Rudolph has never played the Bills and he gets his first chance in Orchard Park.

37 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They're the best coached team in the playoffs, where we have a DC acting as Interim HC and a QB coach acting as Interim OC.

Gonna be a tough one no matter what.

Hopefully, our talent shows up to play and tips the balance back to our favor.

What?

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't love this matchup. But then again, I never love any playoff matchup. 

With the exception of last year, Pittsburgh has generally given our offense trouble. But then again, our offense also gives our offense trouble. TJ Watt being out is huge, though. The Steelers offense has actually looked pretty good since Mason Rudolph took over. He's pushing the ball down the field. Pickens and Johnson are big play threats. And we've made backup QBs look good this year. 

Being favored by 10 points also makes me think this one will be close. 

Edited by MPL
  • Like (+1) 1

One thing is for certain…Tomlin is a master motivator and will have the Steelers frothing by Sunday afternoon.  “Nobody thinks we’re good enough to be in the playoffs…blah blah blah.”

Bills need to be ready for a slugfest early on, and Josh just needs to take better care of the ball while not losing his aggressiveness.

Bottom line is that Pittsburgh is NOT a good football team and will probably be without their best player.

Get through the first quarter without making any major mistakes, and the Bills should win handily.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Stop with the dome non-sense or are you going to complain about it for the next 50 years.

Bills are supposedly built for winter weather difficult games and got the one of a 2-3 QBs that have the strength to counter the wind.

Yeah that arm really cut threw that wind in that NE game 🙄

Just now, Gary Marangi said:

If we intercept or run a kickoff or punt back don't go near the Steelers sideline.You might get tripped up by the thug coach

Every time I think of Tomlin... this is exactly what comes to mind.

Too bad we don’t have a dome. Inclement weather always favors the lesser team by leveling the playing field a bit. Just have to hope it doesn’t get too bad and the Bills crush the Steelers as they should. 

Idk that it does…Rudolph doesn’t have any zip on the ball and the Steelers rushing attack isn’t exactly otherworldly. They’ll be one dimensional all game.   When we were weaker in the trenches on both sides this argument made more sense but I think bad weather favors Buffalo even more in this one 

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah that arm really cut threw that wind in that NE game 🙄

It really kind of did lol we were passing the ball into the wind without much issue late in that one to the point where I think even belichick was pretty shocked.  Not sure why we didn’t attempt it sooner. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

Steelers are the only team in the playoffs for both conferences that has a negative point-differential.  

A couple of early season blowout losses and a three game stretch with Mitch Trubisky will do that to you.  They are +37 over the past three weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

Too bad we don’t have a dome. Inclement weather always favors the lesser team by leveling the playing field a bit. Just have to hope it doesn’t get too bad and the Bills crush the Steelers as they should. 

Harris and Warren are RBs that are seemingly better suited to this type of game.  

Neither of us has a good rushing D, ours is slightly worse.  

There's no weather advantage, but the home crowd will be NUTS!!  

Could be a concern, but with Allen doing his thing we should be more than fine.  

Fournette might be better suited to get a lot more carries than he has been getting.  

57 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

They've been running the ball well. That's about it and Mason Goofball hasn't been turning it over like the other guys. Our run d is pretty stout these days though.

They’re a 7 win team that was gifted 3 division games by outrageous good fortune and easily the weakest team in the afc playoff field without watt.  Even with watt they’re probably the weakest but it’s closer.   If we are worried about this game we would’ve been worried about every game lol 

Any boost Rudolph has brought over Pickett/trubisky is negated by not having watt and you’ve gotta wonder in the back of your mind why Rudolph was the last to get a shot of those guys lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

I hope McD got a good look at Von’s tuneup game for the playoffs after sitting him last week and makes the smart decision to put Miller in moth balls the rest of the way. Might as well play 10 on defense for all of what Miller brings on the field at this stage. 

And the moment Bryant gets healthy, send Poona back to the inactive list as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.