Should O'Cyrus Torrence be benched?

HappyDays

I'm not trying to be inflammatory here. This is a genuine question.

Torrence has been the clear weak link on the Bills offense in recent weeks. He's getting beat inside off the snap at a frighteningly high rate. He's making mental mistakes that allow free rushers up the middle.

It's no blight on him as a draft pick if we bench him. It's known that OL players in particular take time to develop, and with his body type it would not be a surprise at all if he's hit the rookie wall playing 100% of the snaps this season. And there's still 4 (hopefully) games to go...

I just don't know if we can live with Torrence's mistakes in a playoff run that looks like it will be a true gauntlet. We have steady vets in David Edwards and Ryan Bates waiting in the wings. I think the coaching staff should seriously consider making a change now before it's too late.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 5
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Torrence has been the clear weak link on the Bills offense in recent weeks. He's getting beat inside off the snap at a frighteningly high rate. He's making mental mistakes that allow free rushers up the middle.

It's no blight on him as a draft pick if we bench him. It's known that OL players in particular take time to develop, and with his body type it would not be a surprise at all if he's hit the rookie wall playing 100% of the snaps this season. And there's still 4 (hopefully) games to go...

I just don't know if we can live with Torrence's mistakes in a playoff run that looks like it will be a true gauntlet. We have steady vets in David Edwards and Ryan Bates waiting in the wings. I think the coaching staff should seriously consider making a change now before it's too late.

I think he has been not so good, including tonight, but the way the unit has been all season, you can’t bench him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No way. 

2 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

It's a fair question, but no I don't think you take a link out of a unit that's gelled for an entire season and put someone in cold off the bench.

I don't expect it to be a popular suggestion. Personally I think Torrence's reputation on here exceeds his play. I think early season returns gave everyone a lot of optimism that has not been borne out over the back half of the season. He has a long way to go to cement his spot as a long term starter.

That being said the one argument against it that makes sense to me is what you said - do you risk tearing apart the cohesion that's been built over several months of all 5 starters being the same? That is a legitimate concern.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Who are you subbing in for him against Wilkins with A gap blitzes who will do better?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Tonight he cost the Bills a red zone turnover by getting beat trying to overprotect that vulnerable inside.

I don't think we've seen anywhere enough of anybody else to judge whether there is an upgrade available, though.

Also consider the 3-4 front we'll be facing next week. Nobody he's facing is going to beat him with speed so it may match up very well for his power game.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No, he's a stud who's made some rookie mistakes. He'll be fine.

Agreed, let him grow. It’s also almost more about the cohesive unit at this point than an individual, don’t mess with the consistency if there’s no injury.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I honestly give all rookies a bit of a pass at this point in the NFL season. The professional year has to be utterly exhausting for them. They’re not used to playing anywhere near this number of games. 

100% agreed. I think on the whole Torrence has shown great promise, and that's all you can ask from a late 2nd round rookie offensive lineman. Still I question if repeatedly ramming him into that rookie wall over a playoff run is the right choice.

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Who are you subbing in for him against Wilkins with A gap blitzes who will do better?

Edwards won a Super Bowl as a starting guard with the Rams. Bates was a steady player for us last year and would be better with an improved Spencer Brown next to him.

I'm not expecting sudden greatness. I would just like the floor to be raised.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can see why it's a question and it has some validity IMO as his play has been...I won't say bad but maybe a bit streaky over the last month.

I cannot justify benching him right now, however. There is a lot to be said for communication and consistency along the line. These guys have over 1000 snaps this year with each other. Bad time to shake it up IMO. Having him out there has also seemed to help steady Spencer Brown's play as well. I roll with how it is, unless there is an underlying injury hampering him we are unaware of.

• Like (+1) 1

McGovern is probably our best pass blocking guard and he gets bull rushed often enough.  Wilkins probably takes any guard we have and eats their lunch.  We didn't do much running right at him which I would have like to have seen.  They did however shorten up some of the passes and Kincaid and Shikir made the catches and kept the chains moving.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Wilkins is very good

Wilkins IS very good but pretty much every team the Bills will face the rest of the postseason has a very good interior D lineman.  Some have outstanding players and some have multiple guys.  So I don't think overlooking a problem for that reason is the solution.

But nor do i think benching him is the solution either.  The Bills need to recognize there's a problem and work in blocking schemes that let him get through the rest of the year while keeping the Bills moving ahead.  

I think the O line as a whole has been hitting a wall.  The big holes are coming fewer and further between, and the pass rush is getting closer to Allen.  Are they worn out or are opposing defenses being crafted to attack when the league has seen the Bills doing?  Probably some of both.  Again the solution is not new personnel but more creative coaching, so our guys aren't sitting ducks when attacked by creative DCs from other teams.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Edwards won a Super Bowl as a starting guard with the Rams. Bates was a steady player for us last year and would be better with an improved Spencer Brown next to him.

I'm not expecting sudden greatness. I would just like the floor to be raised.

And so did Rapp but I'm not starting him over Poyer if Poyer has a bad game.

We’d seriously ?

cmon man you’re a decent poster than post this garbage after winning the afc East on our stud rookie linemen?

cmon …. Like I said you’re normally spot on but no not here 

kid is SOLID

ANNNNNDDDDD

i think there are a couple thousand others that need to say sorry to our RT as well

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I would say no but it's a very fair question.  He had a great game against Dallas but has struggled big time the last 2 games. 

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't expect it to be a popular suggestion. Personally I think Torrence's reputation on here exceeds his play. I think early season returns gave everyone a lot of optimism that has not been borne out over the back half of the season. He has a long way to go to cement his spot as a long term starter.

That being said the one argument against it that makes sense to me is what you said - do you risk tearing apart the cohesion that's been built over several months of all 5 starters being the same? That is a legitimate concern.

Long season, rookies often have trouble playing this many games.  He also faced some real good competition to.  

Stick with him at this point.  

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It can be due to a long season he is not used to.

I think he should be active but backup.

Collinsworth said the Bills are the only NFL team with the same starting OL all year. Torrence did struggle tonight but I'd leave things alone and coach him up for the playoffs. 

I think it would be a good move if play quality were the only factor to consider. He's been playing poorly and might just be exhausted. Sitting a game might be just what he needs. But the move might hurt his confidence. As others have said, it might also affect the chemistry of the line. 

Well, the coaches know far better than we do. Let's hope their judgment matches their knowledge. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

It isn't just one bad game though. He has been the weak link for a couple months now.

Teams have been using creeper blitzes and actual blitzes in the A gap.  It makes it much harder on any guards say nothing about rookies who tend to be more mauler than finesse type guys.  They need to clean up the protection.  I'm guessing it's as much confusion as it is anything.  I have to hope it can get coached up better and have better results.  I also think they could scheme up plays to get them out of the A gaps.  Wilkins is a terror either way.   Some weeks we do the same things to some very good teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.