Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

2 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

LoL true, true

I'm just taking in general with the new stadium.

Yeah… but we both know it ain’t happening …

This Bills team needs to be able to play in these conditions… hope they 

learnt something from the last playoff game …

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yeah… but we both know it ain’t happening …

This Bills team needs to be able to play in these conditions… hope they 

learnt something from the last playoff game …

I dont disagree.

However there will be a time and place that bad weather is going to cost the Bills a playoff game. A legit "weather" made them lose game. Im talking a stupid 3-0 game, 8-6, 8-7, etc, etc.

1 minute ago, letsgoteam said:

I dont disagree.

However there will be a time and place that bad weather is going to cost the Bills a playoff game. A legit "weather" made them lose game. Im talking a stupid 3-0 game, 8-6, 8-7, etc, etc.

Yeah .., it certainly doesn’t help them  …

The line for this game  is still -10… so when that starts moving I’ll be concerned…

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2024 at 1:54 AM, Riverboat Ritchie said:

I actually think the high wind could hurt us.  Pitt looked pretty good running the ball and with high winds we will need to also. Get it done. Go Bills. 

Until Rudolph has to throw the ball. This is where big armed QB’s (Allen) earn their keep.Go Bills.

I think the bad weather hurts Buffalo more than Pittsburgh in terms of being explosive.  BUT, the Bills are not very explosive these days and Allen is more used to playing in the snow/wind at Highmark Stadium than Mason Rudolph.  Plus the Bills D is pretty good and they should be able to smother the Steelers in crappy weather.  Allen is the X-factor.  His legs and ability to make plays off script will be greater than anything Rudolph can do here.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Until Rudolph has to throw the ball. This is where big armed QB’s (Allen) earn their keep.Go Bills.

We keep hearing about what s monster Cook's been under Brady.  Shouldn't even be a problem then.  

39 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I think the bad weather hurts Buffalo more than Pittsburgh in terms of being explosive.  BUT, the Bills are not very explosive these days and Allen is more used to playing in the snow/wind at Highmark Stadium than Mason Rudolph.  Plus the Bills D is pretty good and they should be able to smother the Steelers in crappy weather.  Allen is the X-factor.  His legs and ability to make plays off script will be greater than anything Rudolph can do here.

Weather schmeather, we're a better team playing at home.  Find a way to win.  

If not, well, this place will be a real hoot with the monster pendulum swing that would take place.  

Edited by PBF81

We have beautiful buffalo winter weather this Sunday... 25 degree, 10-25 mph wind, 50 percent chance of 1-2 inch of snow.  We cannot ask for better weather.   We are built to play in this weather.  Go Bills...

I'll be applauding everyone who's in the stands, and wishing I was there with you to see it all in person (I'm serious!). No matter how accurate the snow chart is or isn't, the temps will be brutal for all. Can we start a new poll thread on which players are most likely to go sleeveless/no hand warmers? 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

We keep hearing about what s monster Cook's been under Brady.  Shouldn't even be a problem then.  

If not, well, this place will be a real hoot with the monster pendulum swing that would take place.  

What are your thoughts on Bernard being able to defend UTM runs in potentially bad weather? 

40 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

What are your thoughts on Bernard being able to defend UTM runs in potentially bad weather? 

To start, it's not simply Bernard.  It's the team.  We currently rank 28th in Yards-per-Carry allowed.  That doesn't match up well in this particular situation.  

We may be fine, obviously.  This befalls coaching however.   Our starting DL is healthy again, we're not missing any great run defenders in the front-7 because of injury.  

Who knows, we'll find out in a few days.  :) 

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

To start, it's not simply Bernard.  It's the team.  We currently rank 28th in Yards-per-Carry allowed.  That doesn't match up well in this particular situation.  

We may be fine, obviously.  This befalls coaching however.   Our starting DL is healthy again, we're not missing any great run defenders in the front-7 because of injury.  

Who knows, we'll find out in a few days.  :) 

we are really that bad against the run? I feel like we have been pretty good all year. The first few games we gave up a couple long ones, but seems we have settled down. 

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Cook will get his touches but Allen most likely will audible out of runs if he sees something advantageous- LFG 🦬

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

we are really that bad against the run? I feel like we have been pretty good all year. The first few games we gave up a couple long ones, but seems we have settled down. 

We seem to be  hit-n-miss.  

We've played against almost none of the league's top-10 RBs.  Swift (5th) posted his fourth best game of the season against us.  Mixon (8th) we shut down.  Mostert (10th) we shut down in the one game early in the season, but Achane had a great game in his place. 

Etienne (11th) had his best game of the season against us as did Jax otherwise.  Barkley (16th) had his second best yardage game of the season against us.  

Harris is 7th and the Steelers rank 13th in Rushing.  The only teams we've played among the top-12 in rushing are Miami (6th) and the Eagles (8th).   

10 of the 17 games we've played have been against teams ranking 22nd or worse in rushing including the three worst.  (30th, 31st, and 32nd)  

7 of 17 are among teams ranking in the bottom quartile.  

FWIW 

Without running an analysis, we seem to give up big plays rushing.  We seem to be focused on our pass rush and TFLs, so once a play breaks down defensively, we seem to be exposed at the second level so to speak.  If true, that's why much of this game rests upon McD's shoulders.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

We seem to be  hit-n-miss.  

We've played against almost none of the league's top-10 RBs.  Swift (5th) posted his fourth best game of the season against us.  Mixon (8th) we shut down.  Mostert (10th) we shut down in the one game early in the season, but Achane had a great game in his place. 

Etienne (11th) had his best game of the season against us as did Jax otherwise.  Barkley (16th) had his second best yardage game of the season against us.  

Harris is 7th and the Steelers rank 13th in Rushing.  The only teams we've played among the top-12 in rushing are Miami (6th) and the Eagles (8th).   

10 of the 17 games we've played have been against teams ranking 22nd or worse in rushing including the three worst.  (30th, 31st, and 32nd)  

7 of 17 are among teams ranking in the bottom quartile.  

FWIW 

Without running an analysis, we seem to give up big plays rushing.  We seem to be focused on our pass rush and TFLs, so once a play breaks down defensively, we seem to be exposed at the second level so to speak.  If true, that's why much of this game rests upon McD's shoulders.  

great analysis; thanks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

By the way, I recommend this website

to any of the weather worriers like Myself. I have found the predictions on wind speed and wind gusts to be quite accurate.

right now, they are calling for 25 MPH winds at 1 PM. Gusts of 50 MPH. The gusts are going to be the real variable. Without those, We should be able to have some windows to throw even if the wind is at 25. 

I have found that if the wind speed drops to like 20, it’s usually not a factor. So hoping we get a little Bit of a break since the rest of Sunday looks like the wind will be less than 20.

https://www.windy.com/42.752/-78.746?2024011415,42.551,-78.746,9

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

No.  Bills are 15th in run defense, giving up 110.6 YPG.  Pitt is 19th at 115.1.  Bills run offense is 7th at 130.1 YPG.  Pitt is 13th at 118.2 YPG..  I suppose the yards per carry could be worse if teams do not run against the Bills as much.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The wind is pretty much a given as far as Sunday's game is concerned.  So are temperatures and bitter wind chills.  Lake effect snow is a more complicated issue.  It depends on a number of factors including wind direction and air temperatures aloft as well as at the surface.  The forecast I've seen calls for west southwest winds on Sunday.  I think that is a wind direction that could cause some lake effect, but lake effect bands are fickle.  Sometimes, lake effect bands can be only a few miles wide and meander.  I fully expect that there will be some lake effect snow on Sunday.  I don't think the experts have pinpointed how much snow or whether the snow will be steady or intermittent.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

The wind is pretty much a given as far as Sunday's game is concerned.  So are temperatures and bitter wind chills.  Lake effect snow is a more complicated issue.  It depends on a number of factors including wind direction and air temperatures aloft as well as at the surface.  The forecast I've seen calls for west southwest winds on Sunday.  I think that is a wind direction that could cause some lake effect, but lake effect bands are fickle.  Sometimes, lake effect bands can be only a few miles wide and meander.  I fully expect that there will be some lake effect snow on Sunday.  I don't think the experts have pinpointed how much snow or whether the snow will be steady or intermittent.

Correct, and they won't have a very good handle on it until Fri night or Saturday.  But yes, windy is a given.

"This stadium was not built to keep the wind out. It has an extremely low profile which welcomes in the wind, and it’s extremely easy for the sweeping gusts to reach field level with minimal impediment".

You know, I am going to sound like a sore loser, but this is almost making me not want to watch the game. It's going to complete neuter both sides, but I can already sense a Najee Harris 60 yard run for a TD and that might be all it takes. Cook has been so on and off, and I worry about him fumbling, and I worry about Josh getting desperate and going into hero ball mode. Field goals are out of the question. This sucks. I know we have no control over it, and for that reason I should not let it bother me, but I could see The Steelers sneaking out a victory because it's equalizing both teams, and somehow I feel it will work to their advantage.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, Aimee75 said:

You know, I am going to sound like a sore loser, but this is almost making me not want to watch the game. It's going to complete neuter both sides, but I can already sense a Najee Harris 60 yard run for a TD and that might be all it takes. Cook has been so on and off, and I worry about him fumbling, and I worry about Josh getting desperate and going into hero ball mode. Field goals are out of the question. This sucks. I know we have no control over it, and for that reason I should not let it bother me, but I could see The Steelers sneaking out a victory because it's equalizing both teams, and somehow I feel it will work to their advantage.

Why worry? it can’t change anything,,. And it may not be as bad as you think …

On the positive …Both sides have to play in the same conditions … and the Bills seem a lot tougher this season…

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

On the positive …Both sides have to play in the same conditions … and the Bills seem a lot tougher this season…

I agree. I get mad at myself for worrying, but I always do. I am still scarred by that wind storm game against The Pats.

Just listened to the Don Paul podcast. He said there might be whiteout conditions. Ugh!

Edited by Aimee75
  • Like (+1) 1

In a worst case white out situation the Bills could opt to run Allen to the right, up the middle and to the left on almost every play.  The conditions would make everyone move slower and the risk from injury even if Allen carried the ball 30 times would be significantly lowered.

I also remember growing up in Western NY and getting so excited when the forecast would all for a snowmegedon.  I also remember that more often then not I would be bitterly disappointed when the snow storm failed to appear.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

In a worst case white out situation the Bills could opt to run Allen to the right, up the middle and to the left on almost every play.  The conditions would make everyone move slower and the risk from injury even if Allen carried the ball 30 times would be significantly lowered.

I also remember growing up in Western NY and getting so excited when the forecast would all for a snowmegedon.  I also remember that more often then not I would be bitterly disappointed when the snow storm failed to appear.

I was thinking this as well. If conditions are really bad, there's an advantage to having Josh as a frequent running option as it puts more pressure on the defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh, we are worrying about the weather again. Second only to the lame nick-name threads for the latest UDFA who does something in camp.

The only effect the wind will have is on deep throws, as we already know Josh can cut through the wind on the short/intermediate routes. His deep balls have sucked this year, so I’m not too worried about not being able to over/underthrow Diggs by 3 yards a couple times a game.

Wind/snow or not, we know Pitt is going to try and run the ball so we have to have a plan for that no matter what. 

We need to emphasize the quick short passing game, try to run the ball ourselves and play action the ***** out of them. 

W.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Correct, worrying does nothing. Our QB can throw lasers through any wind, while Rudolph throws high arching moon balls which will be neutered by the wind. As long as we continue to play as a unified, dynamic defense and tackle well, and run the ball with intent and purpose, this game is ours to be had.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Steelers are ranked around 25th in nearly every offensive stat ranking for this season. The only category where they don't rank near the bottom as best as I can see is Average Rushing Yards per Game (118 yards, 13th). The Bills in that category rank 7th with 130 yards per game. The Bills are also obviously in the top 5 in almost every other offensive stat category.

The Steelers have the 17th ranked passing defense, and the 19th ranked rushing defense. Keep in mind, those stats also include TJ Watt, who won't be playing. The Bills have the 7th ranked passing defense, and the 15th ranked rushing defense.

On paper, even in garbage conditions, it's really difficult to see the Steelers going above and beyond their usual performances on both sides of the ball, especially with a young quarterback and their star defensive player out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

Jeez man. Why even watch if you’re this scared of a trash Steelers team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

Jeez man. Why even watch if you’re this scared of a trash Steelers team. 

I'm rarely scared of any other team. The Bills are the team that scares me 😄If this game was in better conditions I think The Bills would wipe the floor with them. The weather makes it a little more complicated. Hoping we can get our run game going.

• Eyeroll 1

I would trade with KC in a heartbeat!! We had weather like that for the WC Pats game, and look how we did? The wind is always the issue, and swirling snow is not going to help. I know extreme cold temps are dangerous, but you can prepare for that. I fear the weather we are getting might derail our team, and honestly, derail free agents from wanting to come here. If we lose, we literally do not have home field advantage.

1 hour ago, Aimee75 said:

derail free agents from wanting to come here.

I’m not coming to BUF as a WR. (We forced our QB1 here).  anyone who can’t see that as a business decision is delusional. Serious kudos to Diggs.  

It’s extremely windy in BUF. people just don’t get it. 

Edited by Since1981

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.