Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Uh no...KC has a high of 14 and low of 4 on Saturday. At 8pm, temps likely in single digits with negative wind chills

I looked at one weather forecast system  …thats where my sources was.

others might have difference but 7 days out still is unreliable

Edited by djp14150

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Losing Watt is a big loss for that defense. He is a "game changer" type of player. 

Is he actually out? I heard it was just a sprain and he might be good to go?

35 minutes ago, Simon said:

Already got hammered by the symptoms last week. Only bothered testing because my wife started getting sick last night and insisted, otherwise I would have never even known.

And I'm a little spooked by the Stiller game. We have some issues with 3-4 fronts and Pittsburgh has taken advantage of that in the past. Their rungame is also finding a bit of a groove which is the only good way for them to limit Josh Allen's touches and with their knack for making ugly games and then stealing them, there's some potential for some discomfort there. If weather becomes a factor it could exacerbate all these issues and there is also some potential for that to be the case as well.

Regardless of any of it, we shall continue with style. 🤙

Harris will have to be contained as well as protecting against any big plays by Pickens. But I am gaining much confidence in McD's defensive schemes and am not too worried about the Steelers offense scoring too many points.

Understood about their D - that is cause for concern. If there is bad weather, Tomlin may go the Belichick route and run 50 times 

Get well soon, both of you 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I got accepted at the University Oklahoma for Meteorolgy but didn't go because they required all senior students to help out at the National Tornado Center in Norman and be storm chasers for a semester. I was like HELL NO! Wouldn't catch me dead out there doing that 🤣

Went to Saint Louis instead.

As somebody with no experience in meteorology but lived in OKC for years, it’s fine. Most of the locals talk about being teenagers, buying a case of beer, and chasing storms. 

I will say that locals have the same lack of urgency around tornados that we do around snow. But it’s not snow, it’s an effing tornado. 

31 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Steelers fans travel better than any fans in the league and will pay to do so. And it's just a short drive.

Oh? Not sure about that considering we had over half the fans in Miami last night.

They will have under 10K fans there. You can't buy tickets that aren't for sale.

22 minutes ago, Gman10 said:

Is he actually out? I heard it was just a sprain and he might be good to go?

There is no way they risk him fully tearing by stupidly trying to play 7 days after a fairly serious injury to it. A grade 2 sprain is a partial tear and very much weakened ligament. Wouldn't take much to become a full tear from there and require surgery.

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Prepare for wind

What is my prediction for the Steelers?

200.gif?cid=60e32e6775g75ulqucntzvm1974u

Edited by Big Turk

46 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

I looked at one weather forecast system  …thats where my sources was.

others might have difference but 7 days out still is unreliable

Unreliable in some ways but when they are forecasting huge temperature shifts that's almost assuredly happening.  Perhaps a few degrees warmer or timing might vary a little but there is near 0 chance it suddenly becomes 45 out for the game.

Way overstating "what" is unreliable.

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Eww.  I hope the weather isn’t a repeat of the Pats game from last year (or the year before?)

Nah...that game was like 3 degrees.

It's not getting that cold. Or are you talking the 70 mph wind game?

It's not going to be that strong. Maybe gusts to 35 or 40 mph here and there.

Edited by Big Turk

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Quick…..Somebody drive over to the construction site and see if those guys can get those infamous wind confusers erected by this Sunday. 

I went over and asked the guys about erection confusers and they said when Bugs Bunny put on a dress and played a girl bunny.  Not sure how that helps the wind but you're welcome.  

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I've had a Grade 2 MCL sprain. The entire side of my knee was purple/black & the swelling was crazy, it was 6 weeks before I was able to sprint, and even then still limited. Even with NFL doctors, Watt won't be able to play this week.

Uh Oh...latest Forecast Discussion from NWS Buffalo:

".LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/... ...ANOTHER Powerful Storm to Impact the Region for the Weekend with SIGNIFICANT Lake Snows and HIGH Winds Possible... Mother Nature is loading up another intense storm for the Lower Great Lakes region for the weekend...as there is increasing confidence that a sub 975mb low will track to our west Saturday and Saturday night. This storm would feature a one-two punch with the definite threat for high winds followed by SIGNIFICANT lake snows.

w this system Saturday and SuThere is near 100% consensus among the various guidance packages that the coldest airmass of the season thus far will follonday with H85 temps tumbling to the minus teens to lower 20s C. This in combination with near steady state winds averaging 250-260 could result in very heavy lake snows that would focus on areas just south of Buffalo and Watertown. Keep in mind that we are still nearly a week away from the event...so its just a good thing to keep in the back of your mind. Trying to refine location of bands and to pinpoint snow amounts is not yet possible at this time."

They don't use that word Significant, especially in all caps lightly with this.  This means we are likely measuring feet of snow by Sunday night. Key question is where? 250-260 favors the Southowns and Hamburg area which is a bullseye for OP.

I'd expect a Lake Snow Watch issued by early Thursday if not late Wednesday.  I've seen this setup plenty of times before, pretty much a given if this holds we are getting hit pretty hard.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Uh Oh...latest Forecast Discussion from NWS Buffalo:

".LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/... ...ANOTHER Powerful Storm to Impact the Region for the Weekend with SIGNIFICANT Lake Snows and HIGH Winds Possible... Mother Nature is loading up another intense storm for the Lower Great Lakes region for the weekend...as there is increasing confidence that a sub 975mb low will track to our west Saturday and Saturday night. This storm would feature a one-two punch with the definite threat for high winds followed by SIGNIFICANT lake snows.

w this system Saturday and SuThere is near 100% consensus among the various guidance packages that the coldest airmass of the season thus far will follonday with H85 temps tumbling to the minus teens to lower 20s C. This in combination with near steady state winds averaging 250-260 could result in very heavy lake snows that would focus on areas just south of Buffalo and Watertown. Keep in mind that we are still nearly a week away from the event...so its just a good thing to keep in the back of your mind. Trying to refine location of bands and to pinpoint snow amounts is not yet possible at this time."

They don't talk use that word Significant, especially in all caps lightly with this.  This means we are likely measuring feet of snow by Sunday night. Key question is where? 250-260 favors the Southowns and Hamburg area which is a bullseye for OP.

I'd expect a Lake Snow Watch issued by early Thursday if not late Wednesday.  I've seen this setup plenty of times before, pretty much a given if this holds we are getting hit pretty hard.

Was popping by to post this.

If one is planning to buy resale tix today or tomorrow, wait until this storm forecast is out. Those prices going to drop like the snow.

• Like (+1) 1

If anyone needs to bring themselves down after the uplifting win last night, just swing on by this thread..

There will be some Steelers fans, but 30% would be an absolute embarrassment and I'd be shocked if that happened.  

As far as the weather goes, this team very much remembers getting knocked out last year - in part - due to the opposing team handling the conditions better than us.  At the very least, I think the staff and players will hammer home being prepared for the elements as to not let that happen again. 

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Quick…..Somebody drive over to the construction site and see if those guys can get those infamous wind confusers erected by this Sunday. 

I’m deftly scaling the barriers right now to have a chat with them!

Will report back…

• Thank you (+1) 1

I am a bit worried about this and hope that the wind doesn't end up being that bad. Josh is Josh but given the choice to see him play in the elements vs a perfect weather controlled environment, I'll take the latter every time.

A lot of people don't like to admit it, but there's really isn't such a thing as a cold weather team anymore. Our home field advantage is mostly negated when conditions get really bad, particularly against teams who are better build for power running than we are. Josh does seem to handle high wind better than a lot of other QBs, so that's definitely a bonus, but I'm not sure some of the amazing throws that were made last night would be made in the kind of conditions we might be looking at.

I love outdoor football and I love the history of the Bills in the snow and the cold, but the reality is that those variables hurt us more than they help us. I very much hope that the design of the new stadium mitigates the weather factor like we have been told it will, otherwise situations like this will undoubtedly cost us late season wins in the future, and the dome conversation will become even more of a sore issue than it already is. I personally wish this team was playing in a dome with grass and Allen himself was on the architectural design board.

At least we brought up Lenny to replace Murray. Watching him get significant carries in a nasty weather game would not be good for my health.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.