Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Uh Oh...latest Forecast Discussion from NWS Buffalo:

".LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/... ...ANOTHER Powerful Storm to Impact the Region for the Weekend with SIGNIFICANT Lake Snows and HIGH Winds Possible... Mother Nature is loading up another intense storm for the Lower Great Lakes region for the weekend...as there is increasing confidence that a sub 975mb low will track to our west Saturday and Saturday night. This storm would feature a one-two punch with the definite threat for high winds followed by SIGNIFICANT lake snows.

w this system Saturday and SuThere is near 100% consensus among the various guidance packages that the coldest airmass of the season thus far will follonday with H85 temps tumbling to the minus teens to lower 20s C. This in combination with near steady state winds averaging 250-260 could result in very heavy lake snows that would focus on areas just south of Buffalo and Watertown. Keep in mind that we are still nearly a week away from the event...so its just a good thing to keep in the back of your mind. Trying to refine location of bands and to pinpoint snow amounts is not yet possible at this time."

They don't use that word Significant, especially in all caps lightly with this.  This means we are likely measuring feet of snow by Sunday night. Key question is where? 250-260 favors the Southowns and Hamburg area which is a bullseye for OP.

I'd expect a Lake Snow Watch issued by early Thursday if not late Wednesday.  I've seen this setup plenty of times before, pretty much a given if this holds we are getting hit pretty hard.

Well that sucks

3 hours ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I am a bit worried about this and hope that the wind doesn't end up being that bad. Josh is Josh but given the choice to see him play in the elements vs a perfect weather controlled environment, I'll take the latter every time.

A lot of people don't like to admit it, but there's really isn't such a thing as a cold weather team anymore. Our home field advantage is mostly negated when conditions get really bad, particularly against teams who are better build for power running than we are. Josh does seem to handle high wind better than a lot of other QBs, so that's definitely a bonus, but I'm not sure some of the amazing throws that were made last night would be made in the kind of conditions we might be looking at.

I love outdoor football and I love the history of the Bills in the snow and the cold, but the reality is that those variables hurt us more than they help us. I very much hope that the design of the new stadium mitigates the weather factor like we have been told it will, otherwise situations like this will undoubtedly cost us late season wins in the future, and the dome conversation will become even more of a sore issue than it already is. I personally wish this team was playing in a dome with grass and Allen himself was on the architectural design board.

At least we brought up Lenny to replace Murray. Watching him get significant carries in a nasty weather game would not be good for my health.

I completely disagree.

In fact, our 2 best offensive outputs the last half of this season were in the worst conditions, that being at Philly and at home against Dallas. And, IMO, no QB in this league is built to stand up to windy conditions better than Josh Allen is.

19 minutes ago, Beast said:

I completely disagree.

In fact, our 2 best offensive outputs the last half of this season were in the worst conditions, that being at Philly and at home against Dallas. And, IMO, no QB in this league is built to stand up to windy conditions better than Josh Allen is.

This is true and I don't disagree mostly. Considering the circumstances and the weather Buffalo is likely to get in the foreseeable future, there isn't any other QB I would want to have for my team more than I would want Allen. But nevertheless I'd prefer him playing in an ideal environment as much as possible. So who knows. The Great Lakes didn't even freeze this year so maybe we'll be looking at much more mild weather than years past.

And yes, both teams do have to deal with the elements equally. I'd be less concerned about it if I was a little more confident in our ground game, but you are correct. There have been several recent examples where we finally exhibited a bully type attitude and drove down their throats. Here's hoping we see more of that this coming weekend.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’re not really built for a fast track.

Bills are built for amoeba football...find whatever way to win THIS game in THESE conditions and then go do it.  They are kinda like jack of all trades, they can get it done in a lot of ways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Bills have Josh Allen, who can throw through the wind/elements and Knox (been here for years) / Kincaid (played in Utah) vs poor coverage linebackers for Pittsburgh.

Mason Rudolph has a weak arm.

I'd rather play them in the weather we had last night, but our team isn't a finesse squad any longer and unlike Pittsburgh, our Defensive Front is relatively healthy.

If the weather is as bad as predicted, McDermott will likely look to shut down their running game and force Rudolph to make throws to the outside against the wind. 

3 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

God, I am so tired of the weather taking a.... every time we have a crucial game. I know it's out of our control, but it's frustrating. I feel like Pittsburgh's run game is a little stronger?

Pitt couldn’t do anything running the ball until their passing game opened up

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.