Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

Early forecast is high of 24 degrees with chance of snow showers and winds 15-25 mph with higher gusts most likely.

Storm system coming thru Saturday looks like it could set up the lake snow machine with backing winds behind it if other conditions set up favorably.

From Forecaster Discussion on NOAA/NWS Buffalo:

"The next feature of interest is a potent shortwave trough and rapidly intensifying sfc low tracking into the mid-Mississippi River valley Friday night. However...there still remains timing issues as the low pressure system steams ENE towards the Great Lakes region. Even so...given it`s current advertised track at the moment it looks like we will initially see a mixed bag of precipitation, that then quickly transitions over to rain. Saturday...the sfc low passes by to our west with a `much` (-15C to -17C) colder air mass rapidly advecting into the Lower Lakes. We might be looking at some decent accumulating snows this time for the tail end of the weekend. This would be for Saturday night through Sunday but this is way too far out to have any confidence given the lack of model run to run consistency. Stay tuned."

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

I actually think the high wind could hurt us.  Pitt looked pretty good running the ball and with high winds we will need to also. Get it done. Go Bills. 

Allen can throw in the high winds we have seen reasonably well.  Rudolph I doubt can. Similar build and height/weight as Allen but lack of arm strength is why he fell in the draft to the 3rd round. Especially with how it swirls. Balls will sail or die in the winds and be prime INT targets.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Lake effect bands may push snow to the far south towns with NW winds so not much in OP.

KC — partly cloudy temps around 20 at game time 

TB — could be a rainy game temps in 60s

DAL- dome

DET- dome

HOU— dome 

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Lake effect bands may push snow to the far south towns with NW winds so not much in OP.

KC — partly cloudy temps around 20 at game time 

TB — could be a rainy game temps in 60s

DAL- dome

DET- dome

HOU— dome 

Uh no...KC has a high of 14 and low of 4 on Saturday. At 8pm, temps likely in single digits with negative wind chills

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

From Forecaster Discussion on NOAA/NWS Buffalo

That's exactly where I go to know what's up.

Their hourly graphical grid that goes out 4.5 days is usually very accurate also.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

That's exactly where I go to know what's up.

Their hourly graphical grid that goes out 4.5 days is usually very accurate also.

As someone who started off as a Meteorology Major for first 2 years in college but hated Math and Physics, I still love and read up on stuff regularly and am picking Donn Paul's brain regularly on twitter asking him stuff.

Appears to be a classic set up for potentially heavy lake snow if we don't get wind shears and/or injections of drier air

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

As someone who started off as a Meteorology Major for first 2 years in college but hated Math and Physics, I still love and read up on stuff regularly and am picking Donn Paul's brain regularly on twitter asking him stuff.

Appears to be a classic set up for potentially heavy lake snow if we don't get wind shears and/or injections of drier air

I'm a geek with it, too.

I'm actually on a sabbatical right now and have myself most of the way talked into heading down and trying my hand at chasing storms in the Alley for a couple weeks this spring. :wacko:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm a geek with it, too.

I'm actually on a sabbatical right now and have myself most of the way talked into heading down and trying my hand at chasing storms in the Alley for a couple weeks this spring. :wacko:

I got accepted at the University Oklahoma for Meteorolgy but didn't go because they required all senior students to help out at the National Tornado Center in Norman and be storm chasers for a semester. I was like HELL NO! Wouldn't catch me dead out there doing that 🤣

Went to Saint Louis instead.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

No matter what, Allen is used to throwing in that stadium wind more than any opponent QB.  Plus the Bills D can be pretty nasty when they want to be (ie Dallas game).

BTW,  Tomorrow (Tuesdays) wind is supposed to be nuts and from an unusual direction, Southeast,,, therefore predicting even more downed trees than normal.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I got accepted at the University Oklahoma for Meteorolgy but didn't go because they required all senior students to help out at the National Tornado Center in Norman and be storm chasers for a semester. I was like HELL NO! Wouldn't catch me dead out there doing that 🤣

Went to Saint Louis instead.

atmospheric physics is super heavy duty math.  Ive always been a weather nerd.  I have several friends even more into weather, who were better at math, had the passion, all had to quit their dream of being a meteorologist due to super difficult math.  Any meteorologist has my upmost respect.

This really sucks.  The bills playoff home field advantage is the biggest load of BS . We saw it on full force last year against the bengals. Bad weather evens the playing field and makes games unpredictable. Now because of this crazy weather Pittsburgh has a legitimate shot at winning. If this were in a dome I'm not sure I'd give Pittsburgh much chance at all.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 6

5 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

I actually think the high wind could hurt us.  Pitt looked pretty good running the ball and with high winds we will need to also. Get it done. Go Bills. 

For decades,this is why I’ve been saying;

”Get a Kincaid!”

Big, tall target in wind and snow.

• Like (+1) 1

I think I’d be more confident playing the Fins again (even that’d mean yesterday was a loss) in Miami than Pittsburgh at home for this reason. The wind game of 2021 looms large and Pittsburgh have both a better run game and defense, even without Watt, than the Pats did. Admittedly, the Bills run game has been better, particularly since Brady took over, but it struggled yesterday. If the Bills lose the turnover the battle, they lose the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.