Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I didn't read the body language because I didn't see it. that trade didn't sink his or his team's fortunes.  it was the inability to have a quality QB.  AJ Brown is wasted on Tannehill/Levis. 

Could we trade for AJ Brown?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

1 obviously the Titans team  owner put the guy on the hot seat--he just canned him.  It was hardly shocking.

2 equally obvious other owners understood this was likely so none made a trade inquiry or obviously the Titans owner would have taken something over nothing.

no need to dress down--just pointing out the obvious

1. correct but the point was he could have held his cards a little closer to his vest.

2. Sorry.  Didn’t realize you knew the inner workings and communications between the front offices of all the NFL teams.  My bad.

6 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Holy smokes, amazed Vrabel fired

I am surprised…

you had QB issues. The team also had a 5-7 one score game record.

I also get they are a crossroads with Henry likely not returning and Tannehill probably not back.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2024 at 12:03 PM, TheFunPolice said:

When Dallas chokes against Green Bay he's out and Jerry will go after Belichick as soon as he's cut loose. 

Bili-CHEAT who has not had a good season since Director of Cheating Ernie Adams resigned going to Dallass!

On 1/8/2024 at 12:40 PM, MikePJ76 said:

man I have to imagine being the guy who replaces Bill Belichick in New England is going to be one of the most difficult jobs ever.  Everything you do is going to be compared to how one of the greatest coaches of all time did it.

I hope they get crazy and hire Matt Patricia.  That should keep them drafting in the top 10 for a half a decade or so

Going to a team whose terrible GM resigned/traded/fired is not a good thing!

14 minutes ago, BRH said:

Serious question:  is Brian Daboll the only member of the Belichick coaching tree still running an NFL team?

Absolutely putrid legacy if true.

And Daboll has had other influences and was never a coordinator (or, obviously, player) under Belichick.

He might not be for long if he keeps going with the "Patriot Way"...the thing that has gotten more head coaches fired than anything else over the last 15 years.

Seems like McD trying to reign Daboll in and not allowing him to act like a D-Bag towards players and other coaches might have been the rift.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-brian-daboll-patriots-way-104228059.html

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Bud Adams is a classless scumbag who liked beating the Bills after our Oilers Comeback game and Music City Forward Pass.

Nothing more to it than rivalry and an owner who cant rise above it.

And in this particular game the Titans blew us out so he was being a gracious winner and host and rubbing it in.

It made me laugh, how petty

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I absolutely hope the Pats hire Vrabel as HC over BOB as they get ready to draft their QB of the future.

See and I'm hoping they let BOB run the whole organization because he's a complete putz who wrecked one QB of the future for them already.

I have much more respect for Vrabel.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

how'd he react when they drafted Levis?  Signed DHop?

also, is there any chance he had zero idea that Brown was being traded when that pick was announced?  

Edited by Mr. WEO

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

See and I'm hoping they let BOB run the whole organization because he's a complete putz who wrecked one QB of the future for them already.

I have much more respect for Vrabel.

Who did he wreck?

Dude is a great Offensive coach, and a great QB coach. Made Watson what he was in Houston.

• Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Harbaugh has the better resume.  McDaniels never proved himself as a head coach at any level for those that are comparing the same situation to him and Biscotti.  Pierce could very well be their last resort if they can't catch the big fish.

Anyones guess, but I'm not sure about last resort when considering the entire team it seems saying he should be HC

27 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

1. correct but the point was he could have held his cards a little closer to his vest.

2. Sorry.  Didn’t realize you knew the inner workings and communications between the front offices of all the NFL teams.  My bad.

teams don't give away valuable assets for nothing if there are offers out there.  Other teams don't make offers on assets they are very confident will be available for the simple taking.  

All of this is plainly obvious, so I'm not sure what you are arguing at this point. 

29 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Could we trade for AJ Brown?

I wish.  New WR1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Who did he wreck?

Dude is a great Offensive coach, and a great QB coach. Made Watson what he was in Houston.

Jones was a better QB when they got him than he is now. 

Here's my example of BOB QB development. Christian Hackenberg. Left Penn State the same QB he entered Penn State. Zero development whatsoever. Watson happened to be an amazing athlete that Hackenberg wasn't. Not to mention that BOB was very much in the mix of reading away DHop for nothing, etc. please, give him the keys.

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how'd he react when they drafted Levis?  Signed DHop?

also, is there any chance he had zero idea that Brown was being traded when that pick was announced?  

DHop to Buffalo this offseason?

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Anyones guess, but I'm not sure about last resort when considering the entire team it seems saying he should be HC

They like him just because they hated McDaniels and you get that initial bump with the foundation already in place.  I can't recall an interm head coach with no prior head coaching experience ever being successful when hired permanently.

12 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I'm no expert, but Tennessee firing Vrabel seems very dumb to me. Some power struggle with the general manager?

Could call it power struggle but more just disagreement over the vision of the team. Vrabel was pushing for a rebuild and win-now at the same time. GM was pushing for a tear down and rebuild. Ownership sided with Vrabel, so they approved the move for Hopkins while also allowing the GM to rebuild a bit with the AJ trade, Levis draft pick, etc.

This season was basically a disaster for Tennessee; they missed out on draft picks that they could have gotten in trades and are now kinda stuck rebuilding a year too late. Vrabel still wants to push for a win-now approach and ownership decided enough was enough.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc Brown said:

They like him just because they hated McDaniels and you get that initial bump with the foundation already in place.  I can't recall an interm head coach with no prior head coaching experience ever being successful when hired permanently.

Really!?! You can't honestly believe that? I couldn't disagree more with you here simply because (with all due respect) it's wildly nonsense mixed with sprinkled in silliness.

Absolutely nothing at all to do with McDaniel. They like him because he's shown that whole roster he is the leader they were missing and took advantage of an opportunity proving he can be a HC in this league and it couldn't be more crystal clear.

Regarding the rest of your post, I'm not sure about interim HC's stats when hired permanently off top of my head, but since you mention, it makes me have a small interest enough I will look it up. However, doesn't mean a lot either way, just because you can't recall doesn't mean it can't happen, or has happened.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Really!?! You can't honestly believe that? I couldn't disagree more with you here simply because (with all due respect) it's wildly nonsense mixed with sprinkled in silliness.

Absolutely nothing at all to do with McDaniel. They like him because he's shown that whole roster he is the leader they were missing and took advantage of an opportunity proving he can be a HC in this league and it couldn't be more crystal clear.

Regarding the rest of your post, I'm not sure about interim HC's stats when hired permanently off top of my head, but since you mention, it makes me have a small interest enough I will look it up. However, doesn't mean a lot either way, just because you can't recall doesn't mean it can't happen, or has happened.

It's been done with coaches without any head coaching experience.  Frazier with the Vikings.  Cable with the Raiders.  Singletary with the 49ers.  All those teams played better initially but all three would be considered failures once they got the permanent gig.

I speculate that Vrabel becoming available will accelerate Kraft's decision regarding BB. 

If Kraft was on the fence, he needs to make up his mind quickly. Vrabel is the best candidate available and should prefer a Pats job due to his history

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Agree 2

On 1/7/2024 at 6:50 PM, boater said:

Yeah, the college system can't produce enough quality QBs and HCs. I'd say there's enough talent for a 28 team league.

People, like Goodell, talking expansion are nuts.

They're not nuts, they're just greedy.

20 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's been done with coaches without any head coaching experience.  Frazier with the Vikings.  Cable with the Raiders.  Singletary with the 49ers.  All those teams played better initially but all three would be considered failures once they got the permanent gig.

So those 3 is enough names for you to conclude it can't happen?

6 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Does anybody NOT believe that Vrabel ends up with the Patriots?????

I'm not convinced the get rid of Bill.  Kraft is a very cheap owner, and he just signed an extension.  They were competitive at end of year.

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I'm not convinced the get rid of Bill.  Kraft is a very cheap owner, and he just signed an extension.  They were competitive at end of year.

For values of "competitive" equal to "lose 17-3 to the Jets"?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I certainly won't be surprised if he ends up in New England, but based on the breakdown in Tennessee where Vrabel wanted to go win now while ownership ultimately decided to rebuild long-term, I'm not sure New England is a good fit either. Obviously plenty of connections there though.

Kinda think Vrabel has his eye on the Chargers or Falcons jobs.

24 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I don't. I think it's lazy analysis by fans/media. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if he did wind up in NE, but the QB situation there isn't ideal.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

I don't. I think it's lazy analysis by fans/media. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if he did wind up in NE, but the QB situation there isn't ideal.

Not ideal … but a No 3 pick in their back pocket helps 

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yes.

Well, alrighty then. You're entitled to think whatever even if completely wrong.

Anywho, I can't take you serious regarding this particular subject at this point so I'm moving on lol

1 minute ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Well, alrighty then. You're entitled to think whatever even if completely wrong.

Anywho, I can't take you serious regarding this particular subject at this point so I'm moving on lol

Thanks Patrick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.