Bills-Dolphins Week 18 for the Division! SUNDAY NIGHT GAME

BuffaloBillyG

Anyone else remember a team that was either going to be a 2 seed or not make the playoffs at all? I hoping it doesn't come down to that, but with the Ravens having little to play for other than staying healthy and the Titans sucking, it seems likely.

Very valid points.

all I care is that we make the playoffs.  I would prefer the 2 seed and a 4th straight division crown but ultimately, we just need to be in the playoffs.

missing the playoffs after this roller coaster 

could really blow this team up.  Winning a SB could get some of the DL back on friendly contracts

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Very valid points.

all I care is that we make the playoffs.  I would prefer the 2 seed and a 4th straight division crown but ultimately, we just need to be in the playoffs.

could really blow this team up.  Winning a SB could get some of the DL back on friendly contracts

I couldn’t agree more, Era.

Additionally, to be clear I want to make the playoffs and I want to win the Super Bowl.  Again, I want to make the playoffs and I want to win the Super Bowl.

*puts on Louis CK hat*

…BUT

After so much upheaval and different things occurring this season…to win the 2 seed and make it at least to the AFC Championship game is not only important in the present, but for this team’s future given some of what NE said above.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Very valid points.

Yeah.  You can always rewrite the narrative by making a Super Bowl run even if we lose this week but make the playoffs.  Winning @KC, @BAL, and then @Miami in the AFC Championship game would be my preferred path.  Allen and the Bills beats the three Pro Bowlers picked in front of him.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

Anyone else remember a team that was either going to be a 2 seed or not make the playoffs at all? I hoping it doesn't come down to that, but with the Ravens having little to play for other than staying healthy and the Titans sucking, it seems likely.

More and more I am feeling like The Ravens are going to purposely blow it, especially with people out there saying it would be silly to "let The Bills in". I hope I'm wrong, but I had a smidge of hope for The Ravens and now I feel like they will let The Steelers do whatever. Must be nice for The Steelers to get to play a must win game against a team starting their backups.

1 hour ago, Aimee75 said:

More and more I am feeling like The Ravens are going to purposely blow it, especially with people out there saying it would be silly to "let The Bills in". I hope I'm wrong, but I had a smidge of hope for The Ravens and now I feel like they will let The Steelers do whatever. Must be nice for The Steelers to get to play a must win game against a team starting their backups.

We were lucky enough to play the Chargers without Herbert, K. Allen, or Bosa so things have a way of evening out.  I also question whether the Ravens would rather face us or the Steelers.  Division games are usually closer and one of the Ravens losses were to the Steelers this year when they weren't resting starters where they put up only 10 points.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Call me crazy, but I can't help but shake the feeling that the Bills are more likely to reach the Super Bowl as a 7 seed than a 2 seed. (6 seed and they'll be one-and-done - winning twice in KC isn't realistic IMO).

As a 7 seed...

• Bills would face Miami in the Wild Card round. I can't see the Dolphins beating them twice two weeks in a row, especially as banged up as they are.
  • They would then travel to Baltimore to face the Ravens in the Divisional Round. Lamar Jackson and some other key starters won't have played for three weeks. That hot streak they've been on? Probably dissipated. They'll be rusty. Not to mention no one will expect the Bills to win that game. That's the type of game they're most likely to win.
  • In the AFC Championship we may have to travel to KC. But considering how off the Chiefs seem to be this season, I wouldn't bet against the Texans or Browns being the opponent. I'm not scared of those teams, especially as a Bills team riding high feeling like they have nothing to lose. All the pressure will be on the Texans/Browns hosting an AFC Championship game they never expected to host.

As a 2 seed...

• Bills would most likely host the Texans in the wild card round. After an emotional win in Miami, coming back home and facing a up-and-coming Texans team? Ripe for an upset.
    • (Yes, they could face the Steelers or Jaguars - neither of which are that scary on paper but they're good defensive teams who've played well lately and the "ripe for an upset" statement still applies)
  • Even if they can get past the Wild Card round, they host what will likely be the Chiefs in the Divisional Round (I can't see the Dolphins beating Chiefs in KC). Beating Mahomes/Reid twice in one season? That is a tough ask, even at home.
  • Then if they get to the AFC Championship, they more than likely have to face the Ravens in Baltimore (unless the Ravens are upset). The rust will have been shaken off by then and the Ravens will be fired up and riding high. I don't see this Bills team capable of winning that one.

We'll see what happens, but I've been thinking of this all week. All to say if the Bills are locked into the 7 seed with a loss going into the game Sunday night, I won't be feeling any nervousness at all at kickoff.

you're not wrong and i don't want to rake you over any coals for being wrong... but this also isn't right... it's... something though, and it will be a hindsight issue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Call me crazy, but I can't help but shake the feeling that the Bills are more likely to reach the Super Bowl as a 7 seed than a 2 seed. (6 seed and they'll be one-and-done - winning twice in KC isn't realistic IMO).

As a 7 seed...

• Bills would face Miami in the Wild Card round. I can't see the Dolphins beating them twice two weeks in a row, especially as banged up as they are.
  • They would then travel to Baltimore to face the Ravens in the Divisional Round. Lamar Jackson and some other key starters won't have played for three weeks. That hot streak they've been on? Probably dissipated. They'll be rusty. Not to mention no one will expect the Bills to win that game. That's the type of game they're most likely to win.
  • In the AFC Championship we may have to travel to KC. But considering how off the Chiefs seem to be this season, I wouldn't bet against the Texans or Browns being the opponent. I'm not scared of those teams, especially as a Bills team riding high feeling like they have nothing to lose. All the pressure will be on the Texans/Browns hosting an AFC Championship game they never expected to host.

As a 2 seed...

• Bills would most likely host the Texans in the wild card round. After an emotional win in Miami, coming back home and facing a up-and-coming Texans team? Ripe for an upset.
    • (Yes, they could face the Steelers or Jaguars - neither of which are that scary on paper but they're good defensive teams who've played well lately and the "ripe for an upset" statement still applies)
  • Even if they can get past the Wild Card round, they host what will likely be the Chiefs in the Divisional Round (I can't see the Dolphins beating Chiefs in KC). Beating Mahomes/Reid twice in one season? That is a tough ask, even at home.
  • Then if they get to the AFC Championship, they more than likely have to face the Ravens in Baltimore (unless the Ravens are upset). The rust will have been shaken off by then and the Ravens will be fired up and riding high. I don't see this Bills team capable of winning that one.

We'll see what happens, but I've been thinking of this all week. All to say if the Bills are locked into the 7 seed with a loss going into the game Sunday night, I won't be feeling any nervousness at all at kickoff.

Remind me of the last Bills playoff win on the road?  Beat Miami.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

I cant see them blowing it on purpose....If the Ravens can get to the 45 each drive they have a magic button. Almost guaranteed 3 points. Several players near contract bonus. If they laid down and the Bills did win. I think that could be bulletin board if we met in AFCCG. Besides The Steelers are their rival and have beaten them several times. I feel they want the Steelers out of their hair and would not fear this Bills team at home. The dark horse are the Browns. They could come to Balt and take them out, putting us at home for all 3 games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, billsfanmd07 said:

I cant see them blowing it on purpose....If the Ravens can get to the 45 each drive they have a magic button. Almost guaranteed 3 points. Several players near contract bonus. If they laid down and the Bills did win. I think that could be bulletin board if we met in AFCCG. Besides The Steelers are their rival and have beaten them several times. I feel they want the Steelers out of their hair and would not fear this Bills team at home. The dark horse are the Browns. They could come to Balt and take them out, putting us at home for all 3 games.

Agree, plus the line is moving now towards the Ravens.  Was -4 Steelers, now -3 Steelers.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I'm still hilariously dumbfounded by everything I have seen in the media and on twitter. 

"Jalen Ramsey needs to shadow Diggs"

For some reason people don't realize how Diggs has played against Ramsey.

I mean, for one, Diggs and Allen have roasted Ramsey in their career.

Two...ok. Make Ramsey cover Diggs all game. Put Diggs into motion into the slot on the same side as Gabe and leave Shakir/Kincaid on the other side. Make Diggs get covered by a LB or leave Shakir/Kincaid against a DB corps that has Eli Apple as the #2.

9 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Look ugh this is frustrating

all the scardie cats about the game against the chargers

cmon people think!!!!

traveling out west - you just need to win!

what am I missing?  Do people not understand this ?

12-24 against that franchise all time

1-10?  In road games dating back to god knows when

They suck against the chargers idk

thinkmarkthumbnail.PNG

I am still concerned that Josh and Diggs both have nagging injuries. Injury that doesn’t stop them but they become average. Between shoulder and something is off on Josh passes, and Diggs keeps pulling himself out of games

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

you're not wrong and i don't want to rake you over any coals for being wrong... but this also isn't right... it's... something though, and it will be a hindsight issue.

haha, I normally like @Wayne Arnold's posting so I too suppressed my initial reaction to that post. :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

Everything points to the Bills going pass heavy in this,  the Dolphins are banged up in the secondary and missing both Phillips and Chubb their best Pass Rushers. Lamar Jackson had all day to pass in their game last Sunday, not surprised to see the Dolphins  drop 7-8 guys and force Allen to be patient.

17 minutes ago, zow2 said:

This morning, Four of the Five guys on the ESPN show, Get Up, picked Miami.  The only one to pick Buffalo to win is Greeny.

Good, put it on the bulletin board!

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

haha, I normally like @Wayne Arnold's posting so I too suppressed my initial reaction to that post. :thumbsup:

@Wayne Arnold brings up exactly 1 of 2 things that happen Monday:

As Bills fans who are here as mostly fanatics incapable of critical thought or abstract thinking which conflicts with the successful beliefs/abilities of this team it is difficult to gauge where this team actually competes. Traditionally we view national media and larger media bodies as being too uninformed to possess a fully formed belief in the team. Similarly, we dismiss their viewpoints when negative because we only choose to see the good. These narratives set by the media resonate across the league to form popular beliefs. Those popular beliefs are often something we toe when viewing other teams. So, all things being equal we should remain focused on the greater populist narrative when gauging our team.

Pulling back in to his statement we will have two outcomes possible. In the first we will all expect to win because there are few reasons we should lose. The resulting storylines after victory can easily write themselves.

However, if we lose will the same narratives from earlier this season bounce right back? Were they wrong to begin with? This team needs sweeping changes across the roster and across the way the team is managed & coached, regardless of the win. I will leave those changes open to anyone willing to challenge themselves and others to the outcomes.

So, if we win than it is what we expect. If we lose than we get exposed prematurely to what most of us already know in the back of our heads: we are a pretty flawed team.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Good.  ESPN has become a politically motivated gossip newspaper steaming pile 

Completey agree. It’s not a sports network anymore. It’s truly become a joke. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know I was joking a bit ago, but I am really annoyed by the Dolphins this year...or rather, I am annoyed at the amount of praise laid at their feet.

I think that while they are good, a lot of McDaniel's genius can be attributed to having an All Pro WR in Hill and a #2 in waddle that could be a starter on a lot of other teams. 

Thought question: if Hill and Waddle were on the Bills and Ken Dorsey were the coordinator....or Rico Dennison...would they be as effective?

McDermott said before our earlier meeting that what they're doing on offense is almost revolutionary.  I don't think he said that lightly.  Yes, a lot of Miami's success is having top talent at WR and RB, but don't overlook the fact that they're using that talent effectively. 

We always talk about McDaniel, but Frank Smith made his way onto a list of top OC from the NFLPA.  So maybe Frank Smith is the genius.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, zow2 said:

This morning, Four of the Five guys on the ESPN show, Get Up, picked Miami.  The only one to pick Buffalo to win is Greeny.

Scott Bart is espn version of Fox Nick wright.   I think both Scott Bart and Marcus Spears picked KC and Dallas against Bills.  They were both wrong and they will be wrong again this week. Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, boyst said:

@Wayne Arnold brings up exactly 1 of 2 things that happen Monday:

As Bills fans who are here as mostly fanatics incapable of critical thought or abstract thinking which conflicts with the successful beliefs/abilities of this team it is difficult to gauge where this team actually competes. Traditionally we view national media and larger media bodies as being too uninformed to possess a fully formed belief in the team. Similarly, we dismiss their viewpoints when negative because we only choose to see the good. These narratives set by the media resonate across the league to form popular beliefs. Those popular beliefs are often something we toe when viewing other teams. So, all things being equal we should remain focused on the greater populist narrative when gauging our team.

Pulling back in to his statement we will have two outcomes possible. In the first we will all expect to win because there are few reasons we should lose. The resulting storylines after victory can easily write themselves.

However, if we lose will the same narratives from earlier this season bounce right back? Were they wrong to begin with? This team needs sweeping changes across the roster and across the way the team is managed & coached, regardless of the win. I will leave those changes open to anyone willing to challenge themselves and others to the outcomes.

So, if we win than it is what we expect. If we lose than we get exposed prematurely to what most of us already know in the back of our heads: we are a pretty flawed team.

Yes, 95% on here have rose colored vision, but most understand that we are flawed.  Just look at our losses, and some of our wins.  However, when compared to all of the remaining flawed teams, we can beat any of them.  Maybe we will.  It seems that our team works best when we come out of the gates fast.  We’ll win Sunday night 35-17.  

19 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know I was joking a bit ago, but I am really annoyed by the Dolphins this year...or rather, I am annoyed at the amount of praise laid at their feet.

I think that while they are good, a lot of McDaniel's genius can be attributed to having an All Pro WR in Hill and a #2 in waddle that could be a starter on a lot of other teams. 

They get hyped EVERY year because Miami is a sexy pick and all the talking heads want to be able to go to Miami to cover the team.

At this point, I enjoy watching them get over hyped because I know they will fall short and it just makes the fan disappointment that much greater.

• Like (+1) 1

4 of 5 people on NFL.com pick the Bills

"Why Gennaro is taking the Bills: Every NFL campaign is a war of attrition. And as we head into the 272nd and final game of the 2023 regular season -- a de facto AFC East title bout -- one team is losing the battle. While Buffalo encountered a vicious injury bug in October -- losing critical pieces on all three levels of the defense -- the Bills weathered the storm and now seem like they've come out on the other side. Yeah, star QB Josh Allen's a little banged up, but by and large, this feels like the healthiest Buffalo has been since September. The same cannot be said about Miami. The team's two star edge rushers -- Bradley Chubb and Jaelan Phillips -- are on injured reserve. The offensive line has been a MASH unit all season. And Wednesday's injury report was a depressingly star-studded list. Long story short, the Dolphins are limping into the playoffs, while the Bills are surging down the stretch with a four-game win streak in tow."

• Like (+1) 5

11 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

We are built to beat the Dolphins.  This game will be a cake walk. Josh will have his best game of the season. 

Is this like some weird-ass attempt at "the power of positive thinking"?  Or are you just bipolar?

In other posts, you've been going on about how you don't buy that Josh is injured (despite appearing on the injury report every week from Week 7 to 16 and various expert injury analysts like Trimble assessing it weeks ago) because "every year is the same injury, it's just an excuse" and he's really just inconsistant: "He’s not the best decision maker. It’s capping his potential. He’s not hurt. He’s just not cerebral". Then we have your take that "our offense is basic and vanilla" "He’s not consistent nor innovative"  "Find an upgrade during off-season."

So now we're going into Miami to play the league's #1 offense on points and yards, #2 for NY/A and #1 for rush Y/A, an offense McDermott described as "almost revolutionary".  Miami also has the #5 defense against the rush and their passing defense isn't a weakness - they get passed on a lot because they've had the lead in a lot of games.

Since according to you Josh isn't really injured (just an excuse), not cerebral, inconsistent; our offense is basic and vanilla and our OC not innovative, it's totally puzzling why you think this is a cake-walk now.

I'm not dissing the Bills, but even with some guys dinged up, the Dolphins are a divisional opponent, they know us very well, they're a well-coached, well-prepared team (though I hate to say it), and they still have a ton of talent with Tua, Hill, and Achane. 

I expect a dog fight.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Everything points to the Bills going pass heavy in this,  the Dolphins are banged up in the secondary and missing both Phillips and Chubb their best Pass Rushers. Lamar Jackson had all day to pass in their game last Sunday, not surprised to see the Dolphins  drop 7-8 guys and force Allen to be patient.

I agree. 

Moreover, the Dolphins strength is their DT. Best way to destroy a pocket is up the middle. 

I see Bills rolling Josh out, and also running QB draws to combat the interior rush. 

If Dolphins are still using a wide 9, then Bills may need to use a TE to help break contain on rollouts. So I think Knox blocking ability comes into play this game. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Is this like some weird-ass attempt at "the power of positive thinking"?  Or are you just bipolar?

In other posts, you've been going on about how you don't buy that Josh is injured (despite appearing on the injury report every week from Week 7 to 16 and various expert injury analysts like Trimble assessing it weeks ago) because "every year is the same injury, it's just an excuse" and he's really just inconsistant: "He’s not the best decision maker. It’s capping his potential. He’s not hurt. He’s just not cerebral". Then we have your take that "our offense is basic and vanilla" "He’s not consistent nor innovative"  "Find an upgrade during off-season."

So now we're going into Miami to play the league's #1 offense on points and yards, #2 for NY/A and #1 for rush Y/A, an offense McDermott described as "almost revolutionary".  Miami also has the #5 defense against the rush and their passing defense isn't a weakness - they get passed on a lot because they've had the lead in a lot of games.

I'm not dissing the Bills, but even with some guys dinged up, I don't think "Cake Walk" is likely.

I don't think it will be a cake walk either but I do think the Bills will win comfortably. 34-20

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

As a 7 seed...

As a 2 seed...

I pretty much disagree with all of this.

season starts over the playoffs are different man

cj stroud is not going to have a good go about it against anyone that’s tough - their coach as well is going to have a rough go.  Playoffs are a different burd

that chiefs team in no way shape or form comes to buffalo and beats us - never.  I’d bet on it being a massive smack in the face to them - buffalo would win handily and they would be so frustrated with the crowd noise by halftime

only one I’m not sure of is the afccg 

I do believe Cleveland would go into Baltimore and beat them.  That’s how I see this playing out with the two seed - and ultimately a win this week

now

they lose ?

I truly believe we are done and we will play again next September - we will miss and be the talk of how we either could win and get in and don’t 

we lose?  McDermott is on the hot seat for sure 

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

GDFQt5nW0AAQJna?format=jpg&name=large

Good I don’t get what these people think they see or saw from the cowboys game for the dolphins but?  Hey go ahead and be shocked when the bills steam roll them 

Edited by Drew21PA
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not dissing the Bills, but even with some guys dinged up, I don't think "Cake Walk" is likely.

Cake Walk.  I'll say it.  I aint scared. F the Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don't think it will be a cake walk either but I do think the Bills will win comfortably. 34-20

Just hang on to the ball, Boys.  That's really what burned us and made last year's playoff game difficult.  We proved against the Chargers we can lose the turnover battle 3-0 and still win the game.  We proved against Miami last playoffs we can commit 3 turnovers and still win the game.  But sooner or later that act gets the hook.

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Cake Walk.  I'll say it.  I aint scared. F the Dolphins.

I ain't scared, though I don't predict a cake walk. 

But I have no problem with you predicting that.  You aren't scattering receipts about the board dissing off our QB and OC then turning-coat for the "cake".

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.