Other teams (besides the Broncos) making QB news. Giants, Commanders, Vikings, Barkley to Jags

Draconator

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am not understanding these moves

These teams have no chance of making the playoffs. Wouldn’t they be better off giving the experience time to their young QBs rather than vets

Tyrod was the #2 QB so that makes sense now that DeVito mania has passed. I have no idea what they’re doing in Washington unless Rivera 

is trying to save his job.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

These teams have no chance of making the playoffs. Wouldn’t they be better off giving the experience time to their young QBs rather than vets

I think we as fans look at this much differently than the coaches and players. They have an incredible competitive spirit and they want to do anything that will give them the best chance to win. They put too much blood, sweat and tears into their preparation for the season and games to be OK with losing so that a kid can get experience. In both of these cases, the kids have shown they have hit the wall and maybe need to watch. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Just now, Low Positive said:

Tyrod was the #2 QB so that makes sense now that DeVito mania has passed. I have no idea what they’re doing in Washington unless Rivera 

Trying to pull a Lovie Smith and sabotage the team on the way out?  Of course didn't work out for 

Lovie.

4 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

That ship has sailed. He's done in Washington. New ownership I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get Bill. If I am Bill I don't know if I want that job. They don't have a QB, and both the Eagles and Cowboys are much better teams. Bill probably goes to LAC if anything where he has a better shot to win.

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I hear you, but there are a lot of people playing for their jobs, either with their current team or their future team.  

And every team is playing to win.  In high school, we all played hard to win, even the last game of the season.  The whole point of playing is to win.  And at the NFL level, these guys want to win.  If I were on those teams, I'd definitely want the best QB on the field, and the best QB is Taylor and Brissett.  And I wouldn't care at all about developing the young guys because (1) I won't be on this team in a year or two, (2) it's take those guys more than a year or two to develop, and (3) I've watched them play, and I don't think they'll ever make it.  

The coach is playing for his job, too, and he wants to win, too.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This is the time of the season where you play your young guys if you are out of the playoff contention.  These two moves on the surface make no sense.  Rivera is a move for a coach that did not deliver.  Howell was not the problem.  His defense stunk and trading some of your best defenders did not help.  Tyrod is a back up.  DeVito needs the time but Daboll might be doing Taylor a solid for his dedication.

• Agree 1

• Draconator changed the title to Other teams (besides the Broncos) making QB news. Giants, Commanders, and Barkley on Jags
1 hour ago, Gregg said:

That ship has sailed. He's done in Washington. New ownership I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get Bill. If I am Bill I don't know if I want that job. They don't have a QB, and both the Eagles and Cowboys are much better teams. Bill probably goes to LAC if anything where he has a better shot to win.

Will he bring McDaniels in as his OC?

Edited by The Jokeman

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I agree with you. Rivera is “trying” to save his job and is desperate for wins. Tommy Devito 🤌 was a nice story but he was pretty terrible and might not be in the league next year. Daboll’s job is safe but coaches and players still want to win. Those 2 guys give you a much better chance at that. 

personally, I think Taylor and Brissett should be allowed to be traded to a playoff contender team that needs a qb right now. 

12 minutes ago, Strethor said:

Howell regressed, needs a reset button - definitely something to work with there. The Tommy Cutlet experience is taking an intermission. Kid earned a backup contract and a lot of restaurant endorsement deals. Locally he is quite a sensation 

Howell will be the next Gardner/ Fitz. Good in spot starts but gets worst the more he plays. He will have a nice career as a backup but he’s not a starter.

tommy D should milk the pizzerias for money because he’s a borderline nfl qb. 

17 minutes ago, Strethor said:

Howell regressed, needs a reset button - definitely something to work with there. The Tommy Cutlet experience is taking an intermission. Kid earned a backup contract and a lot of restaurant endorsement deals. Locally he is quite a sensation 

lol Tommy Cutlet.. but for an undrafted QB with minimal talent to work with he did pretty well and I agree he earned a backup spot. I also think he hit a wall, which is to be expected and Taylor was the #2 .

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

image.png.d2599f83b1114ab298b3f04fefb8adcd.png

On No, I'm not important again

Disagree, kid did better than anyone had a right to expect. He also is a local kid makes him a sure in for a good backup contract. (Great PR for a meh team)

9 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

lol Tommy Cutlet.. but for an undrafted QB with minimal talent to work with he did pretty well and I agree he earned a backup spot. I also think he hit a wall, which is to be expected and Taylor was the #2 .

Disagree, kid did better than anyone had a right to expect. He also is a local kid makes him a sure in for a good backup contract. (Great PR for a meh team)

I was joking about his agent. He looks like a caricature 

13 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

He averaged 136 yards passing/ game (he’s also 25).  Nice story and he will eat off for a long time but he is a borderline nfl qb (which is still pretty awesome). 

• Like (+1) 2

What I find interesting if all these Monday morning critics now say that a guy doesn’t have the arm or isn’t an NFL QB then why has he been hanging around the roster all this time? Do they watch him in practice? I watched Tommy in college and could’ve told you he wasn’t up to this level of play. But….nobody asked me. 😂

lol name one job Brissett ever saved.  Riverboat Ron would have to be totally delusional to think he's coming back next year no matter what.

Daboll is barely treading water.  Tommy Cutlets is the only QB on the roster Daboll has assembled who has won more than a single game this year.  He had a rough last 2 games.  TT is simply awful at this point though.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If they had any plans to play the young QBs next year maybe but I don't see Divito ot Howell in the long term plans for either team.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Tyrod was the #2 for the Giants before he was injured and went on IR.  So if he's full-go, it makes some sense to send DeVito back to the bench I guess.  Neither of them are the hoped-for Franchise Man so go with whoever has the best chance to win I guess.

I'm not sure what Rivera is trying to accomplish with Sam Howell, unless he's injured but not enough to show in injury report.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Think it’s fairly simple. 

1. Sure, the young QBs are young. But their teams have likely decided they’ve seen enough and don’t believe they’re the answer. 

2. They want to evaluate the other players and think more competent QB play will help make that easier. 

3. Coaches and players want to win and therefore want the better players to play.

Might be a little more controversial to give up on Howell, but he’s looked very bad for a month or so now and Washington is in position to get a highly coveted rookie QB if they want. They could also pursue Fields or Wilson in the offseason. Hell, they could just want to sit him down and let him regroup mentally after his recent struggles (but realistically, they probably try to replace him this offseason).

Edited by DCOrange

18 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Yeah, no.  Rivera is done in DC. New owners will want to hire their own choice.

16 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree with you. Rivera is “trying” to save his job and is desperate for wins. Tommy Devito 🤌 was a nice story but he was pretty terrible and might not be in the league next year. Daboll’s job is safe but coaches and players still want to win. Those 2 guys give you a much better chance at that. 

personally, I think Taylor and Brissett should be allowed to be traded to a playoff contender team that needs a qb right now. 

Howell will be the next Gardner/ Fitz. Good in spot starts but gets worst the more he plays. He will have a nice career as a backup but he’s not a starter.

tommy D should milk the pizzerias for money because he’s a borderline nfl qb. 

Good call on Howell. He is a gunslinger who will pull out some surprising wins over a long career, but he's never going to be very good. His key issue right now is the sacks. He is a sack machine: 9.7 percent rate. You would think that's fixable, but then you look at Rob Johnson.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

• Draconator changed the title to Other teams (besides the Broncos) making QB news. Giants, Commanders, Vikings, Barkley to Jags
49 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Fitz and Howell are basically the same player. Fitz got alot better over the years and I think Howell will too

I actually really like the guy and would take him in a second as a backup. He’s just limited physically and while he can get away with it for a game or 2, ultimately, it catches up to him. 

tough dude and will make a lot of money hanging around for like 10 years plus. 

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Good call on Howell. He is a gunslinger who will pull out some surprising wins over a long career, but he's never going to be very good. His key issue right now is the sacks. He is a sack machine: 9.7 percent rate. You would think that's fixable, but then you look at Rob Johnson.

Agree. Love the way he plays. He plays the way I wish EJ played. You can’t use the excuse about talent around him because he has 3 really good WRs around him.

i will be in the minority but i think EB has done as good of a job as you can expect. 

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Rob Johnson was at another level bad, however -- 140 sacks on 806 attempts; a sack every 6.7 dropbacks not counting scrambles.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I think we as fans look at this much differently than the coaches and players. They have an incredible competitive spirit and they want to do anything that will give them the best chance to win. They put too much blood, sweat and tears into their preparation for the season and games to be OK with losing so that a kid can get experience. In both of these cases, the kids have shown they have hit the wall and maybe need to watch. 

A lot of these coaches and GM’s are also going to have to either defend their current jobs or try to get other jobs. So trying to scratch out a couple more wins to frame the season a bit better is also a part of the equation.

For example if the Giants win their last two games they finish the season at 7-10 and the narrative that Daboll can spin is that his team fought hard and despite the insane injuries they still won 7 games. 

A lot of these coaches and executives are thinking ahead and trying to get their resumes a little more polish.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Let's hope Daboll doesn't wake up with a horse head in his bed. :w00t:

• Haha (+1) 4

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. The Giants move makes some sense. The Commanders move makes none.

It makes no sense from a developmental or a team stand point...but it does make sense from the point of view of a desperate HC trying to find a way to save his job. Rivera is probably desperately hoping to show he can win with better QB play and that QB play has been the issue and not him to try and survive another season. 

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It makes no sense from a developmental or a team stand point...but it does make sense from the point of view of a desperate HC trying to find a way to save his job. Rivera is probably desperately hoping to show he can win with better QB play and that QB play has been the issue and not him to try and survive another season. 

It might simply be that the players have basically told him that Brissett needs to start. There's also the issue of Bienemy -- if Brissett gives them a better chance to win, then he'll be doing a solid for his OC, who will be looking for a job too. A similar thing happened in Vegas when they shifted from Jimmy G to O'Connell.

I am quite certain that Rivera is not delusional enough to think he will keep his job. But he's not the only person involved here -- there are assistants and the players themselves. This is a team with a defense that is 32nd in both points and yards allowed. He is gone and he knows it.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Fitz and Howell are basically the same player. Fitz got alot better over the years and I think Howell will too

I think Howell will settle into the Minshew career arc. High end back up, good enough to start but not good enough for a team to commit to and build around. He'll be an very solid bridge guy as teams look for their QB of the future. And he will make a ton of cash doing it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.