Trevor Lawrence-turnover prone?

Ya Digg?

Since Josh has this perception of being turnover prone and that seems to be the biggest thing people talk about with him, why is there not the same narrative about Trevor Lawrence? He has 8 games in his career (including today) where he has had 3+ turnovers. By comparison, Josh only has 5. Not only that, he has only 1 less turnover than Josh has since the start of 2022.

So how is it that turnovers are never really something mentioned with Lawrence? My guess is it has something to do with his draft status and him being a “can’t miss” prospect 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

Since Josh has this perception of being turnover prone and that seems to be the biggest thing people talk about with him, why is there not the same narrative about Trevor Lawrence? He has 8 games in his career (including today) where he has had 3+ turnovers. By comparison, Josh only has 5. Not only that, he has only 1 less turnover than Josh has since the start of 2022.

So how is it that turnovers are never really something mentioned with Lawrence? My guess is it has something to do with his draft status and him being a “can’t miss” prospect 

Trevor Lawrence is turnover prone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They are both horribly turnover prone.   They have the same exact turnover rate 1.4 turnovers per game.   The narrative isnt as strong with Lawrence because he is both earlier in his career, and not as good as Josh, which is to say no one really cares about Trevor Lawrence.   

That said, 1.4 turnovers a game is absolutely unacceptable.   Josh has to cut it out.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Probably because he keeps getting injured.

I think his concussions are proving to be a bigger issue than a lot of people are willing to recognize/admit. He's taken a beating this year all around, and I hope he stays healthy, but it would not surprise me if going forward we see him fall off in regards to accuracy and the number of picks thrown.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I think his concussions are proving to be a bigger issue than a lot of people are willing to recognize/admit. He's taken a beating this year all around, and I hope he stays healthy, but it would not surprise me if going forward we see him fall off in regards to accuracy and the number of picks thrown.

Game I watched them against Cleveland dude got straight murdered. I don’t know how he finished the game.

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

They are both horribly turnover prone.   They have the same exact turnover rate 1.4 turnovers per game.   The narrative isnt as strong with Lawrence because he is both earlier in his career, and not as good as Josh, which is to say no one really cares about Trevor Lawrence.   

That said, 1.4 turnovers a game is absolutely unacceptable.   Josh has to cut it out.  

Fortunately Josh also leads the NFL in total TDs over that time by a very wide margin also.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Not gonna happen.. get used to Josh being near the top of the league every year in turnovers, thankfully he’ll also be at the top in TDs every year.

just the way it is

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

Lawrence is losing prone.

• Sad 1

Because people want to hold onto their pre draft beliefs that Josh isn't a good QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Simple answer, because Lawrence is just another guy. He’s not yet considered an elite QB.

Allen gets heat because not only is he an elite top 3 QB in this league for going on 4 years now, but he is tangibly the best QB in the game when he is on. Even better than Mahomes. Him being on often means not turning the ball over. I think he gets heat for the turnovers because people know what his high standard of excellence is.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 4

For as much talk as Allen gets. He owns the 17th best TD to Turnover ratio ever.

Lawrence fumbles a lot. I think Lawrence and Allen are exact opposites in this regard: Lawrence was a can't miss 1st rounder and Allen was a risky pick. Now Allen is a megastar and Lawrence is very average but the sports media beats up Allen and holds up Lawrence because of their original takes on the QB when they were coming out of college

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Expectation - Reality = Disappointment.  Bills have been in the mix for the Lombardi for 4 years now. Not much has been expected of the Jags.  When a team hangs out in the disappointment zone, fingers are going to be pointed at the QB and head coach.

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Is the 2.5 TDs per game acceptable?

• Thank you (+1) 5

18 turnovers in 15 games is 1.2 turnovers a game. He averages 2.5 TDs a game. So a 2.08 TD to TO ratio (which is slightly lower than his career average).

Mahomes: 1.79 TD per game versus 1.07 TO per game:  1.67 (lower than his average).

My point is this: Allen's turnovers are such a cop out to people who consistently want to put him down. Nick Wright always talks poorly of Allen (and says he is a top 3 QB ironically) and every argument is his Passer Rating isn't great and goes up and down. He completely ignores the rushing stats and that every QB would have ups and downs in Passer Rating. Honestly no one ever said I word about turnovers until he started pounding the table about them

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Obviously.  But to completely ignore the turnovers it's myopic.   It's the only thing that keeps him from being the best QB in the league.

Please direct me to the people “ignoring” turnovers or saying they don’t matter.  Of course they do.  But part of what makes Josh “Josh” is the fact he will take some chances other QBs don’t.  But he didn’t fumble Saturday night and the one pick he did throw was just an underthrown ball.

It’s easy to look at total turnovers and come to the immediate conclusion there is a “problem” but I think it requires a more thorough analysis of what has happened and why.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Obviously.  But to completely ignore the turnovers it's myopic.   It's the only thing that keeps him from being the best QB in the league.

News flash, every QB turns the ball over, not every turn over turns into points either. No QB gets nearly as many TDs as Allen does, but hey keep banging that narrative about turnovers. Allen is the best, most dynamic, exciting and must see QB in the league and he's on our team yet all some ever want to do is tear the guy down, why!

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Because Lawrence is a bum.  No one would put him next to Josh in a serious comparison.

11 hours ago, dma0034 said:

For as much talk as Allen gets. He owns the 17th best TD to Turnover ratio ever.

Lawrence fumbles a lot. I think Lawrence and Allen are exact opposites in this regard: Lawrence was a can't miss 1st rounder and Allen was a risky pick. Now Allen is a megastar and Lawrence is very average but the sports media beats up Allen and holds up Lawrence because of their original takes on the QB when they were coming out of college

By my count Lawrence now has 19 total turnovers compared to Allen's 18.  Lawrence also has a total of 23 TD's while Allen has 40.  Seventeen more TD's with one less TO - enough said.

15 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Yes there has been a walking back from the analysts about how highly they had Lawrence coming out of Clemson.

He was the nations #1 QB coming out of High School, went toe to toe with prime Alabama, went #1 overall in a draft with Tua and Herbert, and there was an analyst on Fox Radio yesterday saying - well we never had him graded elite, he was always in the good tier.

I don’t think that’s the case. He got a pass in Year 1 because of Urban Meyer.

Year 2 he took a leap forward after the mid-season Broncos game.

This year there has been a bit of a regression in output, and he’s taken some injuries. 

I think it’s too early to declare what his upside/ceiling is. He’s 24 years old.

The media is always looking to anoint the next big thing. 

Their 2023 Hero got hurt in Training Camp and is now out for the year. 

So now it’s a week by week reading back of the standings as they “educate” the fans on who is good and who isn’t. 

ESPN had Lawrence as a 97 overall.

NFL had him at 7.40 “perennial All-Pro”

So I don’t buy this - we knew he was good, but we never had him elite kind of narrative. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because Lawrence is a bum.  No one would put him next to Josh in a serious comparison.

Oh I agree with that, it just seems to me that Lawrence is in the Justin Herbert category-somehow he is able to escape a lot of blame that perhaps other QBs aren’t afforded 

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Lawrence is a 6’6” skinny skater dude. 

To me he is just kind of clumsy. One of Allen’s greatest strengths athletically is his agility. Allen is very agile for such a large man. Is why he is a much better runner than Cam Newton ever was. And Cam was pretty good. Allen is just even better on the ground. 

14 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Because people want to hold onto their pre draft beliefs that Josh isn't a good QB. 

No serious person doesn't think Josh is an elite QB, Bills fans are such whiners that they need to make up a narrative so they can complain. There isn't one NFL coach that wouldn't take Allen in a heartbeat.  You find any clown that says Allen isn't very good and you hang on that forever. I know Buffalo has an inferiority complex, but it's time to grow up.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

No serious person doesn't think Josh is an elite QB, Bills fans are such whiners that they need to make up a narrative so they can complain. There isn't one NFL coach that wouldn't take Allen in a heartbeat.  You find any clown that says Allen isn't very good and you hang on that forever. I know Buffalo has an inferiority complex, but it's time to grow up.

Absolutely except for maybe Andy Reid since he would lose the State Farm money.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.