2024 FA

Milanos Milano

With the Bills being over the cap this offseason, we are definitely going to have a hard time retaining the talent we already have. It would be nice to somehow find a way to keep Floyd, but I’m not sure we will be able to. With that said, if we could only sign 1 top FA , who would you want? 

I would want either  Josh Allen, DE  or  Mike Evans, WR . 

Who would you rather sign, Floyd or Allen?  Or who else would you target/sacrifice? 

Josh Allen, Rousseau, and Miller would be a nice group heading into next season. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

14 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

With the Bills being over the cap this offseason, we are definitely going to have a hard time retaining the talent we already have. It would be nice to somehow find a way to keep Floyd, but I’m not sure we will be able to. With that said, if we could only sign 1 top FA , who would you want? 

Who would you rather sign, Floyd or Allen?  Or who else would you target/sacrifice? 

Josh Allen, Rousseau, and Miller would be a nice group heading into next season. 

Neither.  Because of cap reasons I'd rather draft a rookie WR high, 1st or 2nd round.   For DE already have too much money tied up there unless Miller gets suspended and Bills can void contract.  Think I'd rather try and resign Floyd unless he wants more money than Allen.  May be able to sign  Floyd and AJ for less than Allen would get.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Neither.  Because of cap reasons I'd rather draft a rookie WR high, 1st or 2nd round.   For DE already have too much money tied up there unless Miller gets suspended and Bills can void contract.  Think I'd rather try and resign Floyd unless he wants more money than Allen.  May be able to sign  Floyd and AJ for less than Allen would get.

I’m 100% on board with drafting a high WR. I just listed Evans because he’s the best FA WR available. 

I have watched Josh Allen(DE) play for years now, and he has always impressed be, as a rusher and as a run defender. Having him on the field as a Miller contingency plan is better than having Floyd. 

For me it’s Allen > Floyd/AJ. 

Tee Higgins, who is among the most impressive wideouts I’ve see this year.  He has made Jake Browning look look productive. Just the number of impossible, contested catches is insane.  He and Allen would be poetry. He is still only 24.

We would have to restructure every contract on the roster, but he’d be worth it!  He’s a beast and he is going to be an alpha-1 for someone next year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

Tee Higgins, who is among the most impressive wideouts I’ve see this year.  He has made Jake Browning look look productive. Just the number of impossible, contested catches is insane.  He and Allen would be poetry. He is still only 24.

We would have to restructure every contract on the roster, but he’d be worth it!  He’s a beast and he is going to be an alpha-1 for someone next year. 

He’s going to make Houston ridiculous.  

Hopefully some NFC team steps up - but all the young elite QBs are in the AFC

• Like (+1) 1

Someone made the comment how Bills’ wideouts haven’t made a lot of contested catches this year. I kind of wrote it off as fans watching too many Justin Jefferson highlights. I started watching all of these random AFC playoff bubble teams more closely (instead of just for fantasy relevance).  

Higgins is a freak - he’s made more contested catches in the last few weeks for Browning than the Bills’ skill players have had the entire season.  Sounds hyperbolic, but he’s insane. He is just so physical and strong…

41 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

He’s good.  Never happen.  Shouldn’t happen either.  The shockwaves felt throughout the roster over the next couple years would blow up the engine 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

I’m 100% on board with drafting a high WR. I just listed Evans because he’s the best FA WR available. 

I have watched Josh Allen(DE) play for years now, and he has always impressed be, as a rusher and as a run defender. Having him on the field as a Miller contingency plan is better than having Floyd. 

If the price tag is similar or less for Floyd, which I expect it to be, there's ZERO chance they'd choose Allen over Floyd. Floyd will have had a year of experience with the team and coaches and has performed VERY well.

They aren't going to pay the same or more for a guy who will need to learn the Defense and grow with it over a known commodity in the building.

If Floyd chooses to go elsewhere, then maybe we'd take a look at Allen. But if he wants to stay and the money is the same - Floyd will get re-signed 10 times out of 10 over signing Allen.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

Right now the FA WR class is supposed to be pretty deep with talent. As is the 2024 draft class. This is significant IMO because these huge contracts we have been seeing WRs get lately could be down a bit this year. Supply and demand is real and this looks to be a buyers market in FA at WR.

I don't think Higgins will be as expensive as some think. And if not him there are (again as of right now) several others that will be out there. Sign one, draft one high and let Gabe Davis walk. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Enough with the cap nonsense. Wait til you see how much the cap jumps from the new TV deals and continues to jump every year thereafter for the next 3-4 years. 

By 2027 we will be over a 300 million dollar cap. Pretty easy to work around things with all the new money being added year after year and ability to restructure contracts, especially when your QB has one of the most team friendly deals in the NFL for what he is actually worth.

The only people who constantly bring this up are the people who have no idea what they are talking about and what the cap landscape is getting ready to be like a few years down the road or how easy it is to restructure players and get under the cap.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Josh Allen, DE would be awesome. But that dude might sign the richest contract in nfl history for a defensive player if a team with cap space really wants him. How have the Jags not already signed him long term?

On a team that has as much tied into their salary, cap as we do, this is simply not an option for us

Also

This line is setting a bills record for Saks. Why would we go to get a player in an area of strength if we’re looking to improve how about making our number two receiver as good as our number one receiver, and number three receiver as good as our number two receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

Based on age you go for Allen or hope get AJE to give a hometown discount similar to Milano and Oliver. 

3 hours ago, Tim Tindale said:

Michael Pittman is another #1 WR with size, I'd love to get him but am sure someone will give him big money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Don't disagree if money was not an issue.If you could get rid of Millers contract, then great.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s good.  Never happen.  Shouldn’t happen either.  The shockwaves felt throughout the roster over the next couple years would blow up the engine 

Agree, he is good, also agree Beane won’t go for that, better to draft a WR high and not wreck the team, jmo. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

From a WR perspective, this team’s smartest move would be the draft.  This team needs younger, faster skill players and at a reasonable price.  The draft is the best path forward there, versus trying to throw a lot of money at someone already 4+ years in the league.

And keep developing Shakir. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I have no doubt Beane will get us under the cap fairly quickly. He goes over to the amount that he has plans in place for clearing when the time comes.

We may be 42.75 over on the books officially right now. But I'm sure Beane's book has us under.

He’ll easily redo Josh’s contract and clear like 20m+ alone. Add Dawkins to the list. Knox to the list. Johnson to the list. Give Tre an option to take a more team friendly and incentive laden deal or be cut. Do the same with Poyer. Boom. We’ll have 20-30m available before you know it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

From a WR perspective, this team’s smartest move would be the draft.  This team needs younger, faster skill players and at a reasonable price.  The draft is the best path forward there, versus trying to throw a lot of money at someone already 4+ years in the league.

Draft a bunch of young promising wrs and try to keep AJE/ Floyd on reasonable deals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, mrags said:

He’ll easily redo Josh’s contract and clear like 20m+ alone. Add Dawkins to the list. Knox to the list. Johnson to the list. Give Tre an option to take a more team friendly and incentive laden deal or be cut. Do the same with Poyer. Boom. We’ll have 20-30m available before you know it. 

Also does this "projection" factor in the huge cap increase coming this off season? The NFL hasn't given them a number yet so they may not have anything other than the current cap which will be a lot lower...expecting a 20-30 million jump in the cap next year 

• Like (+1) 1

Beane will be able to get us under the cap and get us to 25 million under the cap with not crazy restructures. Per Greg Tompsett and Joe Marino

Unless we win Super Bowl where we won’t restructure Allen and we’ll absorb his massive cap hit next year.

At least in 2023 - there is limited correlation between how much money you spend on the wide receiver room and how your team is performing. Of the 10 teams who spend more [2023 cap hit] than the Bills on WR, it looks like 5 of the 10 will not make the playoffs.  49 er's are 20th, spending $10MM less than the Bills, Ravens are 24th in WR spending, they spend half of what the Bills do on WR's. 

I say do whatever you can in the draft to get a top wideout [esp with elite speed that can take the top off defenses].

Signing Tee would be huge, and doable after cap wizardly.  That would help Josh and offense, strengthen our WR group, and allow Beane to use high draft picks on other needs- Safety and Defensive Line come to mind immediately.

Diggs-Tee-Shakir-Sherfield - and draft pick- I really dig!

Go Bills!

Let Gabe walk and bring in a rookie, with Diggs contract costing a lot one more year we need the balance. Also cook is still cheap so we need to take advantage and lock in a solid 1A type WR this draft. 

one more year with diggs and Knox then we can spend again. 

16 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

I only keep Floyd.  We need to cut Hyde, Poyer, white, and I do not re-sign Gabe Davis (too unreliable)   IMHO our 1st round pick MUST be WR, period. I say move up if need be for the right guy. 

Drafting 32nd will make it more difficult come draft day, but I'm sure there will be a very good DE available to draft there.

DE will sadly be a need... Floyd is going to get paid big $$$ elsewhere... Epenesa might hit the lottery too, or he might give the Bills a discount, I'm guessing he'll be gone  ... Rousseau is going into year 4 so he'll need a new contract or a tag for 2025 and they'll have Miller for one more year anyway... Maybe Lawson will work for food or vet minimum ... Jonathan is intriguing but raw ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.