McD is crazy for wanting to establish the run and play complementary football

FireChans

3 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

On a day when you play a pass rush like this, then yea McD's run and play complimentary ball works. Brady is playing what works right now, I'll take it and not even care that Josh only had like 90+ air yards. 

Yeah, but he had those on just 7 completions...they were tearing up the passing game too, they just didn't need to throw.

Dak had something like 135 passing yards I believe...on 21 completions!

Josh Allen played really well, both in the plays he made and the plays he threw away. Cook's vision looks like it's starting to become consistently elite. He's flashed it before, but i can't wait to see the all 22 breakdown to see his vision and how he's setting up blocks... looks like it might have slowed down for him...I really liked the thought of ETN, but...they didn't even have to show off the playaction game off this yet either...

Someone on the Bills took the wind in the 2nd and 4th quarter. I'm hard-pressed to believe it was McDermott; has it ever happened before?

Also who was refraining from calling defensive Sooper Genius timeouts? It can't be McDermott, he can't help himself.

I don't know who's coaching the Bills since that one article, but I'm feeling a lot more copacetic about the gameday decisions since.

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

To be fair, we won't win anything because his defenses have crapped the bed in every single game the Bills have been eliminated in in the playoffs in the JA era. Doesn't really have much to do with how the offense plays. Although this was a game that the weather and Dallas' league worst run defense dictated a heavy dose of the Bills run game.  Meanwhile, google how the Bengals defense has OVERPERFORMED their regular season performances every postseason. 

BUT I'll hold out hope still that the stars will align and the Bills win won with the current coach/QB duo. 

2019- outscored 19-0 in the second half including letting the Texans convert 2/2 on 2 point conversions. 

2020- give up 38 to the Chiefs

2021- give up 42 to the Chiefs

2022- give up 27 to the Bengals after letting them open the game with two straight TD's which basically has happened the last three times we've played the Bengals.

Frazier was the DC, not McD in those years.  

How about maybe enjoying the win and taking it one game at a time rather than wallow in the past even after a dominant win?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

To be fair, we won't win anything because his defenses have crapped the bed in every single game the Bills have been eliminated in in the playoffs in the JA era. Doesn't really have much to do with how the offense plays. Although this was a game that the weather and Dallas' league worst run defense dictated a heavy dose of the Bills run game.  Meanwhile, google how the Bengals defense has OVERPERFORMED their regular season performances every postseason. 

BUT I'll hold out hope still that the stars will align and the Bills win won with the current coach/QB duo. 

2019- outscored 19-0 in the second half including letting the Texans convert 2/2 on 2 point conversions. 

2020- give up 38 to the Chiefs

2021- give up 42 to the Chiefs

2022- give up 27 to the Bengals after letting them open the game with two straight TD's which basically has happened the last three times we've played the Bengals.

And in all but the 2021 game the offense crapped the bed in those games too. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cook looking like the next Kamara. Just phenomenal performance and season

Unbelievable complementary game,  we blow out a team that has been super elite and 17 only throws for 90 something.  Amazing.  Held that explosive O to under 100 yards. 

This defense is really playing elite, I think Douglas being fully comfortable and the emergence of Dodson in Milanos role have been pivotal.  Playing our best at the right time. Eerily similar to 21 in terms of getting hot at right time. 

9 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

On the Cook TD run the commentators pointed out 6 guys in the box.  Why the hell wouldn't we run it?  Running it on them all game why the hell was Dallas only playing 6 in the box?  Either way maybe we finally learned if they give you a light box, take it, and run it down their throats.  Want to mention Johnson played well spelling Cook also.

The problem last year was even against a light box we couldn't run it because our guard play was pathetic. The two guards have been huge upgrades. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I know we are not going to be able to pound the ball this much every week, but I think the have found our formula for the rest of the year.

The thing was, it's not as if the Bills were doing something unguardable: they kept running the same run concept to the left. Normally, a D coordinator adjusts...and leaves openings for Allen to exploit. Quinn never did.

But this tells us something: we finally have an answer to the D-coordinator question of "Why don't we just play Cover 2 shell on Josh Allen?"

Go ahead. Empty the box. Cook ran for...7.2 ypc? Never mind the passing game.

we ran well because the Dallas D is built to specifically stop the pass.  The announcers talked about this all game, but what I love is our new OC recognized this and saw where the weaknesses were and attacked.  Hey, I love Josh throwing for 400 and 4+ TD's, but I am more than happy with 100 yards, 1 TD from him and us running for 200+ and 3 TD's.  JUST WIN!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

Man, this dinosaur just doesn’t get it.

Trying to run the ball down a teams’ throat, sustaining long drives and keeping our defense fresh to attack an off-balance offense?

This is crazy. We need to run an offense like Dallas and throw almost every play, like genius offensive HC’s like McCarthy do.

This is why defensive coaches will never win anything. Stuck in the stone ages.

Of course, it’s not that simple! It’s not having the village eedgit at OC, who was a one trick, sideways pony with the finally unearthed OJ RB! And having the same OC, plus the HC realize there is nothing wise in abandoning that strategy until the opposition figures out how to stop it- which they never did.

The fact is, Defensive HCs don’t win the SB anymore- period!
I will never forgive 13 seconds McClappy, nor not roll my eyes at being unable to count to 12 during a TO! Never. Unless, the Bills win the SB and it better be this year. The window of opportunity is closing. 

11 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

we ran well because the Dallas D is built to specifically stop the pass.  The announcers talked about this all game, but what I love is our new OC recognized this and saw where the weaknesses were and attacked.  Hey, I love Josh throwing for 400 and 4+ TD's, but I am more than happy with 100 yards, 1 TD from him and us running for 200+ and 3 TD's.  JUST WIN!

Exactly. Even more than that, Dan Quinn never adjusted. I kept expecting for them to drop more into the box and shift over to take away the outside runs to the left and then open things up, but it never happened.

Attacking an opponent's deficiency is the single biggest difference I see between Brady and Dorsey. I highly doubt that up by 17, Dorsey would have had the stones to just keep mashing the run.

• Agree 1

I love seeing a game where we are able dominant running the ball,  end of the day this is passing league and we cannot go into our next two games against lesser teams thinking run first.  We need to use this game on tape showing we can run to set up the pass and get both Diggs and Kincaid the ball. Expect to see both Chargers and Pats having LB'S and safeties closer to the line.  That opens up the pass and we need to use passing to get up on these teams early. We lost games against lesser teams because we started games flat and allowed those teams to hang around and believe they could win. 

The Bills had two idiot offensive coordinators who had no interest in establishing a run game and wanted Josh to be the end all be all. Not realizing that Josh can be even more effective when the Bills are running the football. Guys like Zack Moss, Devin Singletary are having good years the minute they leave Buffalo and for a time I thought James Cook was going to be added to that list but here comes Joe Brady. A guy with some sense. A guy that values the running the game and since he took over James Cook has turned into a superstar. Hopefully we can keep it going 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No argument.  Though I would say the offense was arguably good enough in the 2020 Chiefs game. It at least could have been competitive if the defense showed up that day. We have certainly seen worse offensive performances by other teams go on to advance in the playoffs.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Disagree 1

I mean, Dallas weakness is their rush D.

Bills smartly attacked that.

On the contrary, it would be pretty dumb to try and run 30-40x a game if the opposing teams strength is rush D.

Attack the weakness of the defence whether it's run or pass

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

Man, this dinosaur just doesn’t get it.

Trying to run the ball down a teams’ throat, sustaining long drives and keeping our defense fresh to attack an off-balance offense?

This is crazy. We need to run an offense like Dallas and throw almost every play, like genius offensive HC’s like McCarthy do.

This is why defensive coaches will never win anything. Stuck in the stone ages.

I love the sarcasm.

As someone who believes in the importance of controlling the line of scrimmage and being able to run the ball, I agree with your point.

Nevertheless, if you think that McClappy did not approve of offensive game plans before yesterday or before Joe Brady for that matter, we disagree. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmmm

Bills v. Dolphins Wild Card Game

To cut through the sarcasm - there's no way that Ken Dorsey finds that rhythm in the run game and pounds the ball down Dallas' throat play after play after play. It was a master stroke by Brady, especially on a sketchy December day when the receivers seeming to have a tough time hauling them in (save for that Diggs one-hander...WOW).

Keep that script in your back pocket, it may come in handy one of these days...

I know this thread is satire, but there's people who litterally would want the bills to hand it off 40 times a game, every game. In some cases like yesterday, that will work, but they still need the Josh Allen effect. What's encouraging, is if they can be as threatening on the ground as they can in the air 

44 minutes ago, Peter said:

I love the sarcasm.

As someone who believes in the importance of controlling the line of scrimmage and being able to run the ball, I agree with your point.

Nevertheless, if you think that McClappy did not approve of offensive game plans before yesterday or before Joe Brady for that matter, we disagree. 

Hmmm

Bills v. Dolphins Wild Card Game

He agreed with them up to the point that he didn’t and fired the guy making them lmao

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Exactly. Even more than that, Dan Quinn never adjusted. I kept expecting for them to drop more into the box and shift over to take away the outside runs to the left and then open things up, but it never happened.

Attacking an opponent's deficiency is the single biggest difference I see between Brady and Dorsey. I highly doubt that up by 17, Dorsey would have had the stones to just keep mashing the run.

I suspect that Quinn didn't change his defense because he simply couldn't believe that the Bills would continue to run the ball ... and run the ball ... and run the ball some more.   On the fourteen play drive in the third quarter, the Bills ran the ball 13 times.  In the 2020s, what team does that, especially when your QB is Josh Allen????   :doh:  

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I suspect that Quinn didn't change his defense because he simply couldn't believe that the Bills would continue to run the ball ... and run the ball ... and run the ball some more.   On the fourteen play drive in the third quarter, the Bills ran the ball 13 times.  In the 2020s, what team does that, especially when your QB is Josh Allen????   :doh:  

When you are rushing for 5.7 yards a carry? Us :D

14 hours ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Good win

I'd rather have Dallas record this year than the Bills, though.

We could have an even better record.  Eagles, Broncos, Patriots, Jets.  Just two of those going the other way and we are 10-4.  Three of them and we are the #1 seed.  I'm still shocked at these games, but the Dorsey effect is evident.  

The key is you have to adjust. If you do something and it’s working then sometimes you can keep it simple and keep doing it. Other times it works and then it doesn’t and you need to adjust. Other times your plan doesn’t work at all and you need to go plan b. There is rarely a let’s do this every game because it worked today. 

If you can impose your will and successfully run the ball, why would you ever stop? Cook was running wild against the Chiefs also and then they got away from it. I didn’t understand that but I loved watching what they did yesterday. The o line was playing with their hair on fire 🔥. Love it!

14 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

On the Cook TD run the commentators pointed out 6 guys in the box.  Why the hell wouldn't we run it?  Running it on them all game why the hell was Dallas only playing 6 in the box?  Either way maybe we finally learned if they give you a light box, take it, and run it down their throats.  Want to mention Johnson played well spelling Cook also.

I don't think its learning.  Last year, we couldn't run on a 3 man box.  The OL got no push.  With some upgrades to the line we have some push and Cook is seeing big lanes opening up.  Now defenses need to choose how they want to get beat.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.