Bills Hire DJ Mangas as Offensive Assistant

BuffaloBillyG

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Coached with Brady at LSU and with the Panthers. Hiring people Brady is familiar with is the first real sign he'll have the interim label removed for next year IMO.

Good, this looks like a real offense. Give him the guys he wants

Also, we did lose our QB coach basically, always a good idea to have another smart coach that knows the OC really well

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Coached with Brady at LSU and with the Panthers. Hiring people Brady is familiar with is the first real sign he'll have the interim label removed for next year IMO.

If this is what it takes for McDingus to get fired, I’m good with it.  Outside of Josh and Cook, the offense looked awful last night.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 8

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

this is....weird timing? but okay cool 

I don't know about weird. Early indicators are that McDermott is going to stick around another year unless he really poops the bed. If he is staying, Brady is the logical choice to keep as OC. This seems like hiring someone to effectively delegate what Brady was doing before now that he has more on his plate.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

seems like something you’d do during the bye? 

He was in the box with Brady last night, so it seems they may have done just that and just held off the announcement. It's not like there were any other Buffalo Bills stories in the news last week😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"After one season in the NFL as an offensive assistant with the Carolina Panthers in 2020, DJ Mangas returned to LSU last January as the passing game coordinator for the Tigers. Mangas first joined LSU in 2019, coming to the coaching staff as an offensive analyst after two years as the offensive coordinator at William & Mary.

In his original stint with the Tigers, Mangas worked with former offensive coordinator Joe Brady as LSU put together the most prolific offense in SEC history, averaging 48.4 points and 568.4 total yards per game in 2019. That year, LSU won the national championship, scoring 50 or more points seven times and winning all but two games by double-digits."

https://lsusports.net/sports/fb/roster/coach/dj-mangas/

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It was done after UB season.

Notice connections:

• William & Mary who have produced good coaches in NFL.
  • Carolina Panthers coaching assistant for a year

Hampden–Sydney (2012) - Quarterbacks coach

Georgetown (2013) - Running backs coach

William & Mary (2014–2016) - Running backs coach

William & Mary (2017–2018) - Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach

LSU (2019) - Offensive analyst

Carolina Panthers (2020) - Coaching assistant

LSU (2021) - Passing game coordinator

UCF (2022) - Defensive analyst

Buffalo (2023–present) - Offensive coordinator & tight ends coach

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

If this is what it takes for McDingus to get fired, I’m good with it.  Outside of Josh and Cook, the offense looked awful last night.  

Enjoy the win. Save the complaining and ditching the coach talk for the off-season. Or at least until we're mathematically eliminated.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He was in the box with Brady last night, so it seems they may have done just that and just held off the announcement. It's not like there were any other Buffalo Bills stories in the news last week😂

He may also have had post-season duties to complete at UB

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

The OLine had some serious issues in the 2nd half with their pass pro.  Not many teams are going to look good offensively when their QB is under duress all half.  They need to shore that up big time...Spencer Brown against Micah Parsons is going to be a problem if they don't get him help.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

It was done after UB season.

Notice connections:

• William & Mary who have produced good coaches in NFL.
  • Carolina Panthers coaching assistant for a year

Hampden–Sydney (2012) - Quarterbacks coach

Georgetown (2013) - Running backs coach

William & Mary (2014–2016) - Running backs coach

William & Mary (2017–2018) - Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach

LSU (2019) - Offensive analyst

Carolina Panthers (2020) - Coaching assistant

LSU (2021) - Passing game coordinator

UCF (2022) - Defensive analyst

Buffalo (2023–present) - Offensive coordinator & tight ends coach

Whoa...absolutely no overlap with McDermott and Beane but some familiarity with Joe Brady.  Pretty damning stuff...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bferra13 said:

Enjoy the win. Save the complaining and ditching the coach talk for the off-season. Or at least until we're mathematically eliminated.

Sorry man, I just can’t get pumped for this ***** show of an offense we see week in and week out.  

2:16 left season on the line: 1st - Screen to Diggs (which we had previously tried 3 times and all failed) - incomplete, 2nd -  Deep shot left - incomplete, 3rd - desperation heave after not scheming for obvious blitz - incomplete.  Total time off the clock 19 seconds, without forcing them to burn a single time out.  Not a single touch for Cook who was gashing KC all night.

Bills are a dumb football team, and they don’t learn from mistakes.  This is why they are 7-6 instead of 11-2.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Spencer Brown against Micah Parsons is going to be a problem if they don't get him help.

Fact!!  Have to get the ball out quick, Dallas has a formidable defense and I bet they replicate KC’s blitz schemes 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The OLine had some serious issues in the 2nd half with their pass pro.  Not many teams are going to look good offensively when their QB is under duress all half.  They need to shore that up big time...Spencer Brown against Micah Parsons is going to be a problem if they don't get him help.

*shudder* {thinking about Spencer Brown trying to block Micah Parsons}

The other thing is that the Cowboys were absolutely vicious going after the ball and inducing fumbles last night.

Bills have got to go hard with ball security and loose ball drills this week.

That said ..... KC's defense has been very very good this year, and largely it's their pass defense that has shone.  They're actually better than Dallas pass D by a number of pass defense metrics - blitz %, QBKC%, Hurry%, Pressure%, # sacks....but only slightly.

Point being, it's not like our OL pass pro looked shabby against bottom feeders and now we have to go up against the Big Dogs.  We looked a little shabby against one of the top pass Ds, and now we have to go up against another top pass D.

Gilmore looked all-world last night with the Cowboys.

• Like (+1) 1

I follow UB and DJ Mangas was the worst OC in the history of the program IMO.  But that being said, the talent on O this season was depleted and the QBs were atrocious.  

So hopefully being with Joe Brady and the tools on offense he can be a behind the scenes contributor with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

*shudder* {thinking about Spencer Brown trying to block Micah Parsons}

The other thing is that the Cowboys were absolutely vicious going after the ball and inducing fumbles last night.

Bills have got to go hard with ball security and loose ball drills this week.

That said ..... KC's defense has been very very good this year, and largely it's their pass defense that has shone.  They're actually better than Dallas pass D by a number of pass defense metrics - blitz %, QBKC%, Hurry%, Pressure%, # sacks....but only slightly.

Point being, it's not like our OL pass pro looked shabby against bottom feeders and now we have to go up against the Big Dogs.  We looked a little shabby against one of the top pass Ds, and now we have to go up against another top pass D.

Gilmore looked all-world last night with the Cowboys.

But the Bills have also shown they looked very good against other tough fronts like the Eagles, so I would look at this as more of an aberration...Allen has only been sacked 18 times in 13 games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

The offense looked good up until they went away more so from the running game & the passes to Cook even the other RB's were doing a decent job but it seems as if they just went to more empty back fields i guess due to the pressure the Chiefs were getting on Josh .

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But the Bills have also shown they looked very good against other tough fronts like the Eagles, so I would look at this as more of an aberration...Allen has only been sacked 18 times in 13 games.

Yesterday he wasn't sacked much because of... himself. He eluded so many rushers. But KC was going blitz heavy. It was not just their front four doing this. Bills can learn from this and make Dallas pay. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

For sure. Dude dominated the leagues widely rated best RT in Lane Johnson during both outings against Philly. Problem for us indeed. Probably see Knox chipping him most plays. 

4 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Interesting resume this guy put together. How do you go from NFL to two relatively

big time schools in UCF and LSU to…. UB? I expected to see some local connection but it looks like he was born in Virginia. 

His son transferred to UB and played Tight End last season.  That was the connection I believe.  I believe the son's college career is now over but DJ stayed on staff for this season, and then was released a couple weeks ago.

11 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Interesting resume this guy put together. How do you go from NFL to two relatively

big time schools in UCF and LSU to…. UB? I expected to see some local connection but it looks like he was born in Virginia. 

He was just an analyst at those spots... Or a passing game coordinator

He never was an OC at a FBS school and you gotta start somewhere 

His younger brother was also on the roster 

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

His son transferred to UB and played Tight End last season.  That was the connection I believe.  I believe the son's college career is now over but DJ stayed on staff for this season, and then was released a couple weeks ago.

Robbie was his younger brother 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

We won the game despite the KC secondary holding our receivers all through the game.

Enjoy the win if you are able. 

"Lighten up Francis."

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If the decision to make him the real, full time OC has already been made, they operate more amateurishly than I thought.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If the decision to make him the real, full time OC has already been made, they operate more amateurishly than I thought.

See, on my end I wouldn't hate Brady being the choice. He's far more qualified than Dorsey ever was. 2 out of the 3 weeks he's called the offense they have put up points and yards. Seems to have a nice handle of game flow more times than not. Involves the backs and motion. Giving him an off-season to ramp up the offense in his mold wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Could we do better? Who knows. 

I'm far and I mean FAR more concerned with who is calling the defense next year than I am the offense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.