Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I still think it's very interesting that Dunne is validating everything that myself and other 'crusaders', 'trolls', etc have been saying since 2021. Of course it's easier to digest coming from a well connected write vs random message board posters.

And the bottom line the longer this clap happy fool is on the Bills sidelines, the worse things are going to get. I feel the overall collective anger from Bills fans will boil over big time come Sunday night after this team loses in KC despite getting lot of help in the early games (and last night with the Steelers/Pats result) which is somewhat ironic that the same team on the other side of 13 seconds will effectively be ending this teams season again, just not in the postseason this time.

If this is anything like your other predictions, I'm betting the house on Buffalo.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think you've been incorrectly assuming that when he wrote "One defensive starter" he meant that player is currently a starter. When really, it more likely refers to a player who was starting on Defense for the Bills in that 2021 game.

It was Hughes. Not going to bother with the trust me, or I know it was him.

Just: it was Hughes.

There was a lot of animosity between the two and it's not just an easy thing to explain 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm sure it's all true. I think McDermott is wound way too tight and he's socially awkward, and that combination does not make a great coach. It doesn't mean he deserves to be a national laughingstock though.

By far my biggest issue with social media is how quickly lynch mobs form. It isn't enough to just point out a mistake, we need a couple million people to completely tear down a person's character. More than ever in history our worst moments are possibly going to be shared with and mocked by the world, and I don't wish that on anyone but the absolute dregs of society.

I think for public figures that risk comes w the territory

to my reading of it everything pertained to how he and his team perform which would be relevant imo

i make no inferences on his character as a result of that article

21 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I've actually enjoyed seeing all of the former coaches, former players, and current players who are outraged over this and have come out to defend McDermott rather than let this fester. 

I'm at work now and didn't watch any TV or listen to media last night....where are you seeing/hearing this?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Punch said:

This is all so weird and sad. 

If McDermott really "associates being liked with weakness" then in his mind, he's the strongest one there is. 

I apologize, but my best efforts can't find this tweet or the "chad hall truck story". 

could you summarize please?

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I apologize, but my best efforts can't find this tweet or the "chad hall truck story". 

here -

One story comes to mind. Take a position traditionally teeming with eccentric personalities. Chad Hall played wide receiver, was much closer in age and — clearly — has a gift for managing egos in his room. The Bills receivers loved Hall so much that they bought him a truck for Christmas in 2020. An objectively touching moment that Isaiah McKenzie shared via Instagram. In the dark, in the rain, you see Stefon Diggs and Andre Roberts lead Hall out to the driveway with a beanie over the coach’s eyes. On the audio, Cole Beasley says that this was originally Gabe Davis’ idea and that they all chipped in.

It's impossible for any sane person to watch this heartwarming video and not feel happy for Hall.

Obviously, this coach had made a profound impact on those receivers’ lives — why anyone gets into coaching in the first place.

But Sean McDermott? Oh boy. Sean McDermott was not pleased. One source described this as “a dark day at One Bills Drive.” Not only was the head coach pissed that players were gathering as a group during Covid, McDermott told his staff he pays them to be a coach. Not a friend. Other coaches could not believe his cold response. They had never seen anything like this in their careers. Not only were the Bills’ wide receivers shattering franchise records. Right here was the ultimate sign of respect.

Said one assistant: “I thought it was cool as *****. And he made it into the biggest negative ever. That’s him. He couldn’t take that. He couldn’t handle that. He couldn’t let that be. He couldn’t let that stand. And there’s cases of that more so on the offensive side of the ball than the defensive side. He has zero relationship with the offensive players. Zero. None. Absolutely zero. He’s insecure. He wants the relationship that he can’t have with the players. Because he’s not physically, mentally, or socially able to.”

And another: “Sean was pissed. He was super pissed. One of Sean’s biggest things is, coaches that related to the players, it was almost like he resented it. He’d always say, ‘I have to be the bad cop. You guys are always the good cop.’ He always hated the fact that players liked a couple of coaches. It was frowned upon.”

This coach cannot help but laugh at the absurdity of such a statement.

Multiple sources indicate that McDermott was especially harsh toward Hall and paid him a salary so low it was insulting.

Hall declined to comment for this story. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Basically from what I remember, McDermott=old man who can't relate to younger players and is jealous of Hall who does. His reaction to Hall getting the Truck from the WR room for Christmas was to tell him he doesn't pay him to be their friend or something like that grumble grumble grumpy old man.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/ty-dunne-sean-mcdermott-josh-allen-9-11/

Per Dunne, McDermott at times appeared “jealous” of the relationships between his players and his assistant coaches. One example:

Chad Hall played wide receiver, was much closer in age and — clearly — has a gift for managing egos in his room. The Bills receivers loved Hall so much that they bought him a truck for Christmas in 2020. An objectively touching moment that Isaiah McKenzie shared via Instagram. In the dark, in the rain, you see Stefon Diggs and Andre Roberts lead Hall out to the driveway with a beanie over the coach’s eyes. On the audio, Cole Beasley says that this was originally Gabe Davis’ idea and that they all chipped in.

It’s impossible for any sane person to watch this heartwarming video and not feel happy for Hall.

Obviously, this coach had made a profound impact on those receivers’ lives — why anyone gets into coaching in the first place.

But Sean McDermott? Oh boy. Sean McDermott was not pleased. One source described this as “a dark day at One Bills Drive.” Not only was the head coach pissed that players were gathering as a group during Covid, McDermott told his staff he pays them to be a coach. Not a friend. Other coaches could not believe his cold response. They had never seen anything like this in their careers.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Sure-- the tweets I posted appear to have been deleted, you can read it here:

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

It was Hughes. Not going to bother with the trust me, or I know it was him.

Just: it was Hughes.

There was a lot of animosity between the two and it's not just an easy thing to explain 

Maybe it had to do with "Gary", Jerry's alter-ego, who Tre White described as "terrifying" when he was a rookie - and the "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalties he drew

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HughJe99/penalties

Not to mention his confrontation with a referee and his continuation in the tunnel after the game.

Hughes may have been justified but I'm pretty sure McDermott would view the way he expressed himself as "conduct detrimental to the team"

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

McDermott is doing a hell of a job in his press conference.   Outside of some of the results of his coaching stint here, he's shown great character.   

10 minutes ago, wettlaufer said:

"This is an attack on my character" is purely evasive and non-accountable. He did the opposite of of a "hell of a job."

Sean McDermott going into today's press conference:

bbcan-bbcan3.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Maybe it had to do with "Gary", Jerry's alter-ego, who Tre White described as "terrifying" when he was a rookie - and the "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalties he drew

Not to mention his confrontation with a referee and his continuation in the tunnel after the game.

Hughes may have been justified but I'm pretty sure McDermott would view the way he expressed himself as "conduct detrimental to the team"

He did actually get that ref fired.....wait is that why this keeps happening to us?

19 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

here -

One story comes to mind. Take a position traditionally teeming with eccentric personalities. Chad Hall played wide receiver, was much closer in age and — clearly — has a gift for managing egos in his room. The Bills receivers loved Hall so much that they bought him a truck for Christmas in 2020. An objectively touching moment that Isaiah McKenzie shared via Instagram. In the dark, in the rain, you see Stefon Diggs and Andre Roberts lead Hall out to the driveway with a beanie over the coach’s eyes. On the audio, Cole Beasley says that this was originally Gabe Davis’ idea and that they all chipped in.

It's impossible for any sane person to watch this heartwarming video and not feel happy for Hall.

But Sean McDermott? Oh boy. Sean McDermott was not pleased. One source described this as “a dark day at One Bills Drive.” Not only was the head coach pissed that players were gathering as a group during Covid, McDermott told his staff he pays them to be a coach. Not a friend. Other coaches could not believe his cold response. They had never seen anything like this in their careers. Not only were the Bills’ wide receivers shattering franchise records. Right here was the ultimate sign of respect.

Said one assistant: “I thought it was cool as *****. And he made it into the biggest negative ever. That’s him. He couldn’t take that. He couldn’t handle that. He couldn’t let that be. He couldn’t let that stand. And there’s cases of that more so on the offensive side of the ball than the defensive side. He has zero relationship with the offensive players. Zero. None. Absolutely zero. He’s insecure. He wants the relationship that he can’t have with the players. Because he’s not physically, mentally, or socially able to.”

And another: “Sean was pissed. He was super pissed. One of Sean’s biggest things is, coaches that related to the players, it was almost like he resented it. He’d always say, ‘I have to be the bad cop. You guys are always the good cop.’ He always hated the fact that players liked a couple of coaches. It was frowned upon.”

This coach cannot help but laugh at the absurdity of such a statement.

Multiple sources indicate that McDermott was especially harsh toward Hall and paid him a salary so low it was insulting.

Hall declined to comment for this story. 

Thanks

So Hall's salary vs. that paid to other assistants with similar experience would be an objective stat.  Across the league, young assistants just transitioning to position coaching are not, I think, well paid.

Objectively, the team and the players could have been penalized for gathering as a group at Hall's house during Covid.  How much of the harshing on the truck thing was due to the possibility of punative action from the league?  

Zero relationship with the offensive players?  Allen says he meets with McDermott weekly.  Diggs has been seen on the sideline with McDermott talking to him, and apparently altering his mood - later Diggs said that McDermott is great because he always knows the right thing to say.  Funny that could occur if McDermott has "zero" relationship with the offensive players.

It is a fact that coaches need to walk a line between being a coach, and "being a friend".  Where that line is, is a matter of perception, and whether Hall crossed it in a way that affected WR performance especially in some big games, can't tell from this.  It IS a fact that in Dunne's "Isaiah McKenzie Show", I heard a lot of blame-shifting to Allen for "throwing the ball too hard" and to conditions where the ball was "wet and slippery".  The Bills WRs seemed to have trouble making cuts and hanging on to the ball, in conditions where the opponents WR and DB were not having trouble.

I'm pretty sure that Dunne was told what he reported here, but there seems to be a lot of personal opinion from the unnamed assistant mixed in.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Disagree 1

Interesting how some top-end NFL wide receivers appreciated their position coach so much they bought him a high-end truck — but that was not only frowned about by the head coach but that position coach leaves Super Bowl-contending team.

Combine that with the rumors that McD and Daboll don't get along and the smoke is getting heavier and heavier. But maybe it's Chad Hall and Brian Daboll and Leslie Frazier that were the problem and our head coach has great communication and interpersonal skills with everyone.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If nothing else it's nice this got you to admit this part, now if you'd admit the Dolphins fan part and there'd be a nice silver lining.

My point was that people wanted to throw these silly labels around because they didn't want to hear or listen to my opinion or commentary or believe I was right.

Also remember that I predicted this teams demise well in advance (along with many other national pundits, talking heads, rational fans, etc).

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

My point was that people wanted to throw these silly labels around because they didn't want to hear or listen to my opinion or commentary or believe I was right.

Also remember that I predicted this teams demise well in advance (along with many other national pundits, talking heads, rational fans, etc).

It was nice while it lasted, guess a Freudian slip will have to do.

• Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Man I have criticized McDermott's coaching but he doesn't deserve this. He's a good man.

These quotes are pure victim mentality and not something that is going to unite grown men to get behind him, I suspect.

If McDermott is as good as many defending him think he is, this team is going to come together and dedicate the rest of the season to their amazing head coach who has been wronged by a journalist and the 20+ unnamed sources who have criticized his coaching. They will proceed to beat the Chiefs by 50 points and run the table to the Lombardi Trophy. 

Edited by Wayne Arnold
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

it most definitely was the team but it was the only attitude we had on the team for a very long time. an attitude we have needed in the post season since he left. not saying we need him but someone like him would be great

Getting caught up on WGR from yesterday where a caller named Sean called in to Schoop and Bulldog saying McDermott doesn’t deserve this treatment and bad publicity…

Well Sean, if you are on here, I’d like to say to you…WHAT AN ABSOLUTE HORRIBLE BS COMMENT AND RANT!

MCDERMOTT owes this fan base and city an apology. He owes us a resignation. 

What McDermott has done for us? He hasn’t done a mother bleepin thing but screw it all up. ANDY DALTON broke the streak followed up by the selection of JOSHUA ALLEN AS QB THAT OUR BUM HC HAS HID BEHIND.

If people credit McDermott for turning this around and not Allen, you are on drugs. Insanity!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

As much as I endorse and participate in the creator economy (cough cough, check out my Medium profile) I have to note exceptions to a few of these takes. 

Remember when Andy Reid had a reputation as an in-game choke artist? It wasn't that long ago. Since he's coached Mahomes, he's a genius. Every coach blows a few calls in crunch time. Pete Carroll, anyone?

People are upset that Clappy wanted a run-based, cold weather offense? We must play 6 to 8 games a year in bad weather yet our roster is built like a dome track team. We've effectively negated our home field advantage. 

When the going gets tough, coordinators get fired. It's never fair and its usually political window dressing but it's an unavoidable reality in coaching. There was a coach a few years back whose name escapes me who refused to fire coordinators during a losing streak when ownership wanted a dead body on the floor. The HC refused  out of loyalty and he and his entire crew were let go. 

Rivera fired Del Rio after an embarrassing loss on Thanksgiving after they salary dumped their two best defenders in Young and Sweat. Fair, no but it's how the game is played. Ownership calls the shots. Clappy fired Dorsey because he had a gun to his head. 

So Clappy referenced 9-11 in trying to inspire his troops. A risky play to be sure but coaches have to get weird to keep players playing hard over seventeen games of debilitating pain. Remember when Jack Del Rio chopped down a tree in the locker room and injured his punter?

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/27399/jaguars-infamous-ax-didnt-keep-chopping-but-its-still-around

He got another HC gig with the Raiders after this. 

I'm as disappointed as anyone by the lackluster 6-6 season. We're still just two games behind KC and Jacksonville with 5 games to play.

After watching Cincy's backup QB dismantle the playoff bound Jags, we know that anything can happen including our Bills pulling it together for a run.

I think Terry hired Beane and Clappy as a legacy hire. Of course they have to earn it but a revolving door of firings relegates us to the status of the Bears, Jets and Cards. McDermott has 5 games to turn this around. Let's see if he's up to the task before making changes.

Well then the Bills legacy will be watching McB continue to emphasize Defense while ignoring additional help for Josh.  Expect more years of excruciating close loses.

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Was the article not attacking his character?  

No. Did you read it? Dunne wasn't attacking anyone. He was reporting what 25 former associates of McDermott had to say about him.

9 minutes ago, boco357 said:

Damn Brown and Tasker killing Dunne.

Both massive homers.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, boco357 said:

Damn Brown and Tasker killing Dunne.

They should kill him.  He’s like a scorned lover.  His obvious thirst for revenge is childish.  He’s getting his clicks and 15 seconds of fame with hopes someone offers him a real job.  He’s not stupid. It was  perfect timing to write this……as long as the locker room doesn’t rally around McD and win the whole dam thing.  

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Was the article not attacking his character?  

I fully acknowledge that Dunne likely has a bias here, but it seems appropriate to question the character of a guy who praises the 9/11 terrorists organizational ability and won't take responsibility, like when he reportedly blamed the offense for 13 seconds, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:24 AM, Roundybout said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-mcdermott-problem-part-i-blame?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

A very long read, and the other parts are only for paid subscribers, but his sources paint a picture of McD as a narcissistic control freak who won’t take accountability for anything. 

Do with this what you will. 

my grain of salt is Bill B comes across as a narcissistic control freak too as did Parcels. Polian was widely reported to be a complete ahole. I think to be an nfl coach some of these personality defects are a feature not a bug. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

These quotes are pure victim mentality and not something that is going to unite grown men to get behind him, I suspect.

If McDermott is as good as many defending him think he is, this team is going to come together and dedicate the rest of the season to their amazing head coach who has been wronged by a journalist and the 20+ unnamed sources who have criticized his coaching. They will proceed to beat the Chiefs by 50 points and run the table to the Lombardi Trophy. 

He's just doing what the PR department told him to do.  

8 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I fully acknowledge that Dunne likely has a bias here, but it seems appropriate to question the character of a guy who praises the 9/11 terrorists organizational ability and won't take responsibility, like when he reportedly blamed the offense for 13 seconds, 

He was just trying to capture the spirit of the thing

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.