Goodell: The NFL will become very global. More international games over the next 10 years.

Gregg

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

this just in...

True but now they want to go to Brazil and Spain which is new. I just hope the Bills don't have to play in one of these games anytime soon. Definitely don't want them to give up a home game. Let teams with no fans (Jags, Chargers, Rams) do that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

True but now they want to go to Brazil and Spain which is new. I just hope the Bills don't have to play in one of these games anytime soon. Definitely don't want them to give up a home game. Let teams with no fans (Jags, Chargers, Rams) do that.

By making season 17 games they should make each game neutral not charging for season tickets that game including alternate sites in US and Canada.

Technically they have to have a  "home" team due to rule about calling coin but other than that there is nothing special about "home" team being declared.

Have teams in south without domes have their 17th game in more temperate climates during beginning of year and teams in north without domes have their games in warmer climate areas,  Others will just be fit into season using AWS screw Bills algorithm.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I dunno why its so difficult - You want that international money - add a 2nd bye week. You can also start having games on i dunno - tuesday or something.  Give teams time to re-acclimate after long travel weekends to places unknown.  etc. 

3 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Not that this is news to anyone, but the NFL is making it abundantly clear that it values money and exposure much more than it values the hardcore, loyal fan base and legitimate competition.  It is really sad to see it head in this direction.  

Taylor's version!

What does the league bring in revenue wise now. 20 - 25 billion a year. That number will be going up which is all Goodell, and the owners care about.  Something about watching football at 9:30 in the morning I will never get used too.

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

What does the league bring in revenue wise now. 20 - 25 billion a year. That number will be going up which is all Goodell, and the owners care about.  Something about watching football at 9:30 in the morning I will never get used too.

And if Australia gets a game it'll be 6:30 or earlier I believe. Between these overseas games, officiating and trying to figure out which streaming service your game is on, the NFL is almost becoming too painful to follow. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

Never-ending greed is ruining this league; I can't think of one change under Goodell's tenure that has truly made the game better.

If (a BIG if) the Bills can somehow win a Super Bowl soon, the time I spend watching the NFL is going to drop precipitously. Nowhere near as fun to watch as it was before that stooge entered the picture.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Not that this is news to anyone, but the NFL is making it abundantly clear that it values money and exposure much more than it values the hardcore, loyal fan base and legitimate competition.  It is really sad to see it head in this direction.  

Just look at the Super Bowl and what it's become.  It's not for true football fans, it's a pop-culture extravaganza.  

Unless you're really into the two teams playing, and how often is that, for me it's not even watchable anymore.   It's more like a circus than a football game.  I think I've seen one Super Bowl over the past five seasons or so.  And when I do watch, the moment that the first half ends, I turn the TV off, set a timer for 30 minutes, and then come back after all that crap is past.  LOL  

Someone should put a poll up, if the Bills weren't in the NFL, would they watch any games.  I wouldn't, or very rarely anyway.  

I'm weird though, I enjoy AAA baseball more than I enjoy MLB.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've started to wonder if they are trying to work towards another NFL Europe league.  I can't imagine any teams will sign-off on having a NFL team over there.  The travel for the opposing teams, especially those in the same division, would be terrible.

31 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Why don’t they just bring back NFL Europe?  That was nice as a developmental league (a few guys transitioned to the NFL; I am recalling Orande Gadson and maybe even the great Brian Moorman). And I think the fans in Europe enjoyed it. 

How dare you forget about Fred Jackson!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Yet another desperate attempt to get other countries with no football infrastructure to create football leagues…, 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I've started to wonder if they are trying to work towards another NFL Europe league.  I can't imagine any teams will sign-off on having a NFL team over there.  The travel for the opposing teams, especially those in the same division, would be terrible.

That would make sense, and would explain why they're doing multiple places in England, Frankfurt, Munich, ... did I miss one?  

Seeing how they fill the stadiums, possibly putting a "division" over there or something.  

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The nfl is going to get every dollar they can even if it involves stealing from homeless people. It’s laughable when they pretend to care about players health or the hometown fans. 

The league/owners don’t give a rats azs about the game of football other than it creates profit for them,

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yet another desperate attempt to get other countries with no football infrastructure to create football leagues…, 

Desperate? Don’t know about that brother. That’s pretty much a slap in the face to all fans outside the US saying the NFL would be in that state to drum up interest. 

Following of all American sports is massive outside State side. 

Posted something about this before:

1) It should always be teams coming off a bye week, that isn’t hard to schedule.

2) Travel impositions and acclimations are minimal whilst players can get the chance to experience a country or city without being rushed and limited to do so.

3) You schedule games to the middle of the year negating the opportunity for local/regional fans of a team to miss fair weather games. 

4) The quality of play between the exposition games they used to play and these International Series’ is night and day. Actual meaning, competitive football. Something, as a foreign national; having played the sport abroad, attended many American Bowls, NFL Europe games, BAFL & BAFA games and ALL International Series from 2007-2016… International fans deserve the product most are unable to see live without traveling across the world. 

That’s just my 2¢…

Edited by BBFL

6 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Desperate? Don’t know about that brother. That’s pretty much a slap in the face to all fans outside the US saying the NFL would be in that state to drum up interest. 

Following of all American sports is massive outside State side. 

Posted something about this before:

1) It should always be teams coming off a bye week, that isn’t hard to schedule.

2) Travel impositions and acclimations are minimal whilst players can get the chance to experience a country or city without being rushed and limited to do so.

3) You schedule games to the middle of the year negating the opportunity for local/regional fans of a team to miss fair weather games. 

4) The quality of play between the exposition games they used to play and these International Series’ is night and day. Actual meaning, competitive football. Something, as a foreign national; having played the sport abroad, attended many American Bowls, NFL Europe games, BAFL & BAFA games and ALL International Series from 2007-2016… International fans deserve the product most are unable to see live without traveling across the world. 

That’s just my 2¢…

Doesn’t change what I said from being true, every attempt by the NFL to create leagues outside the US has failed, there is no real infrastructure to grow American football outside of America, is what it is, 

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Doesn’t change what I said from being true, every attempt by the NFL to create leagues outside the US has failed, there is no real infrastructure to grow American football outside of America, is what it is, 

Fair enough. I disagree with the standing of todays following and that’s ok. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ugh.  I'm kinda at a loss for words, and that rarely happens.  With the poor officiating and suspected bias, coupled with this, it's just like it's more spectacle then sport at this point.  I'm losing interest.  I haven't been watching as many games (just checking updates), and not really regretting that.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I’m guessing these international games have big financial gains because other than the tit doesn’t seem to add very much.  The games are never good, it complicated players and coaches lives - potentially puts players at risk, and most fans hate it.  

I also don’t think it significantly spreads worldwide awareness.  International fans already have access to all types of American broadcasts.  If they wanted to follow NFL they already would.   It just seems like soccer is always going to be the most popular sport worldwide 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think that would be manageable to be honest, at least during the regular season. They could plan it in a way that the European based team plays stints of 3 consecutive away games then 3 at home, so as to limit constant intercontinental travel.  As for the visiting teams there wouldn’t be much different from the way things are now, they just have to travel over once per season, preferably not waiting to leave until the Thursday I would suggest…🙄

Once it gets to possible play-off games things become far more complicated of course in terms of Europe based team.

Anyway, the current trend of adding international games in different countries - now they are adding Spain it seems - is contradicting the strategy of a fixed home team in Europe, so I have no idea where the NFL is heading with this, apart from the fact that they are heading towards an ever fatter bank account of course.  Unless of course the big plan is a European team without fixed home base, playing all over the place... 

One small remark for those here complaining about 9:30am games on a Sunday, spare us a thought please, every US evening game means a 2 am kick-off for me, often on a (very) early Monday morning at the start of a working week.  So no, I don’t feel sorry for you watching NFL games while having your Sunday breakfast 😄

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Just look at the Super Bowl and what it's become.  It's not for true football fans, it's a pop-culture extravaganza.  

Unless you're really into the two teams playing, and how often is that, for me it's not even watchable anymore.   It's more like a circus than a football game.  I think I've seen one Super Bowl over the past five seasons or so.  And when I do watch, the moment that the first half ends, I turn the TV off, set a timer for 30 minutes, and then come back after all that crap is past.  LOL  

Someone should put a poll up, if the Bills weren't in the NFL, would they watch any games.  I wouldn't, or very rarely anyway.  

I'm weird though, I enjoy AAA baseball more than I enjoy MLB.  

I haven't watched a Super Bowl in probably 5 years.  It's on but I am half way paying attention or focusing on something else.

If I go to a party, I socialize more than watch.  

I like minor league baseball more as well because you are closer to the game.  You hear conversations in the dugouts if you're close enough, you hear the sound of the ball of the bat more, you hear the pop of the mitt more....it's a much better experience IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.