Von Miller faces arrest in domestic violence case in Dallas

ArdmoreRyno

Not ignoring the seriousness of the situation, but this seems to be putting the Bills in a very difficult spot.  I assume the Bills will want the League office to lead any efforts to suspend Von for alleged violations of personal conduct policies.  Further complicating this situation are the potential cap ramifications if the Bills will want to release Von and how the players are reacting to all of this (and how they would react if Von was released).  I do wonder if team players would expect the Bills to be supportive of Von throughout this situation (given his girlfriend's recent statements) or not, or maybe a mix among the views of players.  Just seems to be a very messy and complicated situation.

The difference between Miller and a guy like Tyreek Hillis that Hill is actually good at football, so the fans will tie themselves in knots convincing themselves that it was all just a big misunderstanding because they just want their football team to win and Hill helps that happen.

When there's no real gain people are less inclined to go through the mental gymnastics. 

It's sad, wrong, and gross, but that's the deal. The patience level an organization would have with a guy who is a top contributor vs a mercenary who is just stealing money from the team to play pattycake with offensive tackles 10 snaps a game is vastly different. 

Every snap Von takes the field our defense is playing with 10 men. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

The difference between Miller and a guy like Tyreek Hillis that Hill is actually good at football, so the fans will tie themselves in knots convincing themselves that it was all just a big misunderstanding because they just want their football team to win and Hill helps that happen.

When there's no real gain people are less inclined to go through the mental gymnastics. 

It's sad, wrong, and gross, but that's the deal. The patience level an organization would have with a guy who is a top contributor vs a mercenary who is just stealing money from the team to play pattycake with offensive tackles 10 snaps a game is vastly different. 

Every snap Von takes the field our defense is playing with 10 men. 

Tre White took even longer to recover from his acl

• Like (+1) 1

I would not be shocked if Miller and the league pay to keep this thing quiet and the recording to somehow get buried and sealed under an infinite tag of "ongoing investigation". In exchange, Von retires in very short order (before the season ends). 

6 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

If that's the case my apologies - perhaps I misunderstood- didn't mean to offend if I did

No we actually did reply to each other.

Yes, I do agree that the NFL players and bullfighters and ballet dancers and anyone else who mangles their bodies for a passion...that doesn't mean I won't feel for them when they get hurt and certainly won't be in disagreement if these NFL players get a few more days off on their bye week.  

My Paper Mill GM comment was just to state they do it for money as well.  Just like athletes, they do it for money but they seem to be criticized for it.  They are like everyone else.

Everyone makes a choice about most things.  If that choice gets them hurt, I think it's a bit harsh just to say "well it was their choice so I don't feel bad for them". 

It was Tre White's choice to play football and when his Achilles tore, my heart broke.  

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

She recorded the altercation and gave it to the police. This is stated in most articles. It was part of the reason they issued an arrest warrant for Miller. There is no recanting.

Texas is also a "No Drop" state. Meaning that the woman cannot drop the charges, only the prosecutor/DA can. The DA had a recording and an arrest warrant was issued. There is absolutely zero, none, zilch, maybe even a negative infinity chance this woman gets charged with a false police report....

The league will have to pull some strings and Von will likely have to let some serious money go to make this one go away. It is unfortunate for domestic abuse victims everywhere, but that is my expectations (unfortunately). 

Yes but the Prosecutor will have no choice but to drop the charges if he/she does not have a cooperating victim. If the alleged victim in this case refuses to testify, the charges will not stand. The police make decisions to charge and arrest for DV assault based on the victim’s complaint of pain or visible signs of injury. The “No drop” is there to protect DV victims from recanting out of fear. 

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

I’d say Miller cost himself everything w this one.  He’s probably done in the league and nobody is going to hire him to front office work if they can’t show complete innocence on this.

This is likely going away. She is already saying it was a misunderstanding and no one was assaulted. 

1 minute ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

Yes but the Prosecutor will have no choice but to drop the charges if he/she does not have a cooperating victim. If the alleged victim in this case refuses to testify, the charges will not stand. The police make decisions to charge and arrest for DV assault based on the victim’s complaint of pain or visible signs of injury. The “No drop” is there to protect DV victims from recanting out of fear. 

A few things:
- The post I was responding to was charging the GF with filing a falsified police report. That will not happen. 

- I think in most cases where a victim recants you are correct. But there is a recording of the incident. You don't need a compelling witness if the altercation has video/audio evidence. 

- If charges do go away I would first be pointing the finger at an intervention from Von's team/the league. Again, because the fight was recorded and not because the witness would not cooperate. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

This is likely going away. She is already saying it was a misunderstanding and no one was assaulted. 

That all depends on what the DA wants to do, if they can be bought, Von is fine, if they want to make an example of him, good luck!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

??? Bruising, bleeding, missing hair and no one was assaulted?? 

Don't forget the part where it was recorded and that recording was given to the police. 

I would be curious what league officials, Von's attorney, and agent were doing at the time the text message to the news was sent. 

• Like (+1) 1

Another brilliant Beane head move...keep rolling your eyes maybe you'll find your brain. Why does Buffalo have to be the rejuvenation/retirement home where the guy can still be revered in greatness? A cast off cause he was a shell of himself after a productive career. I'll tell you why, cause Beane tries to appease fans instead of winning.

Edited by 1onemangang7
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Her recanting means literally zero to me, not that what I think matters either. Many of us have unfortunately seen these types of situations in our own lives too often to buy that explanation. 

Toxic relationship bubbles along, something happens to cause a blowup, cops get called...

Then most of the time the couple is right back together the same day/night like nothing happened. Victims even sometimes angrily go after friends and family to defend the abusive partner. 

It's frustrating and sad for friends, family and law enforcement. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Christ… the more I think about this the more I feel Von is still with the team (and sucking up a big portion of our salary cap) next season.  Whereas we cut Matt Araiza at the drop of a shoe.

Yep, and right now, there already is WAY more actual hard evidence in this matter than there ever was in the Araiza case, so it will be very interesting to see what the Pegulas do here. Money wise, from what I've read in here, they'll be better off to wait a while before they fire him, but principled people normally do the right thing ASAP. EDIT: I can't imagine the millions of female Bills fans being OK with keeping VM on the team.

Edited by Bob Jones
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As the usual TBD suspects get their pitchforks and torches ready to go after yet another woman, I'll quote another reply I saw elsewhere that best articulates a good perspective to keep here...

"Its worth putting aside some disbelief for a moment to also think about how abusive relationships work. As a woman, particularly a pregnant one who is probably feeling extra vulnerable, there is always a lot of pressure to comply, or not report, or to smooth things over to avoid futher conflict and violence.

Imagine you have just seen a man the size of Von Miller angry enough to strike you, he is thousands of times richer and more powerful than you, more or less your entire well being relies on him at this point, and he or his lawyers just told you in very unpleasant terms your call to the police may have just cost him tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money. Money that would have gone to you and your child, but maybe more scary money that the father of your child who already assaulted you now feels like you cost him.

Is this a highly toxic relationship? Probably. But please don't underestimate the pressure to capitulate in a situation like this, and try and have a little grace in your heart for this likely very scared and confused woman."

What I find very disturbing are all of the gross comments and tasteless jokes coming from everyone on this board regarding both people about this situation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

CB, @Bob Jones posted facts in the post above yours that seem pretty "full" to me. Von choked her, she bruised up, and as I said in an earlier post, women's bruises get worse on the following day. They also appear to have at least some controversial history. 

I am not against due process. Not at all  but I feel OK about judging Miller as a scumbag with fading skills. It would be nice to cut him and not get hurt so much by the salary cap hit.

At the absolute least, he is guilty of being in a very terrible situation that both should get out of, 

and the bills should be able to get out of his contract. Might be the worst one in the history of this team and that’s saying something. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

At the absolute least, he is guilty of being in a very terrible situation that both should get out of, 

and the bills should be able to get out of his contract. Might be the worst one in the history of this team and that’s saying something. 

I think this is like the 3rd incident with him and DV....he's been in these situations before.  Ugh, it really doesn't look good now but we have to wait until the facts come out.

Von took a selfie with my son and I last year and signed our poster board....he was so kind.  I hate having to think this about him now. 

Hypothetical Question:

Let's say von miller approached his GF and said "hey can you recant what you said... I'll give you a million dollars" 

Can the bills approach the GF and counter ? "Hey we will give you $5 million ! To keep your initial story and press charges"

I think paying $5 million would be a great deal to get vons contract off the books 🤷‍♂️ 

• Haha (+1) 2

If you're someone who is upset about people "rushing to judgement" about Miller I have 3 simple questions:

1. How did the police become involved in a "no big deal" run of the mill argument between an NFL player and his pregnant girlfriend?

2. Related to #1, what is the innocent explanation for a 911 domestic violence call where police noted physical evidence and issued an arrest warrant?

3. How likely do you think it is that this is the FIRST and LAST time something like this happened/will happen in that relationship? They were apparently arguing over a trip for her birthday. 

Having spirited, intense, even angry and loud arguments is not a crime and doesn't make you a bad person. But when it gets physical it crosses a line.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Hypothetical Question:

Let's say von miller approached his GF and said "hey can you recant what you said... I'll give you a million dollars" 

Can the bills approach the GF and counter ? "Hey we will give you $5 million ! To keep your initial story and press charges"

I think paying $5 million would be a great deal to get vons contract off the books 🤷‍♂️ 

3b8ebce447a1613454af1a3397646dae.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If she doesn’t press charges, the case gets dropped and he very likely isn’t suspended under the NFLs PCP. 

This all shouldn’t stop the Bills from doing a thorough investigation into these allegations and eating the dead cap if it comes to that. 

Some things are more important than football, I don’t want ANY woman beaters on this team, dead cap be damned. 

“Birthing person beaters”

let’s not become abusive ourselves with outdated non inclusive language.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If you're someone who is upset about people "rushing to judgement" about Miller I have 3 simple questions:

1. How did the police become involved in a "no big deal" run of the mill argument between an NFL player and his pregnant girlfriend?

2. Related to #1, what is the innocent explanation for a 911 domestic violence call where police noted physical evidence and issued an arrest warrant?

3. How likely do you think it is that this is the FIRST and LAST time something like this happened/will happen in that relationship? They were apparently arguing over a trip for her birthday. 

Having spirited, intense, even angry and loud arguments is not a crime and doesn't make you a bad person. But when it gets physical it crosses a line.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the possibility she put hands on him first / as well. 

It's interesting that she phrased her response as "nobody assaulted anybody" and it's also interesting to me that he left the house. When a woman becomes physical against a man in these situations, often times he'll do what he can to restrain her/ get away and then his only real choice is to leave the situation because it's far easier for the man to do more serious damage and see much harsher ramifications. 

Not that it isn't also possible Miller is just a dirtbag. 

But considering the phrasing she used and the quick recanting, this situation seems just as plausible to be two toxic people who bring out the worst in each other as it is a guy who manipulates and controls his woman through fear and abuse. Gotta wait for more info and to see how it all plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

Another brilliant Beane head move...keep rolling your eyes maybe you'll find your brain. Why does Buffalo have to be the rejuvenation/retirement home where the guy can still be revered in greatness? A cast off cause he was a shell of himself after a productive career. I'll tell you why, cause Beane tries to appease fans instead of winning.

Show me where you said all this the day after the trade.  

7 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Diggs should be pissed too since that commercial has to get pulled now. 

And Beane lost his right hand man? He was teaching him how to build a superbowl roster 🤣

1 minute ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Show me where you said all this the day after the trade.  

I might be able to find it. I had to change my moniker from back then

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Who cares what other teams do?  I care.  You really do want to be the only team that practices on bye weeks.  The players fought hard in the last CBA to have practice and contact reduced, you know, especially since another game was added in the regular season the last few years.  But lets punish our players for being 6-6 and tell them they have to stay and practice on their bye week like their a 1980's high school football team.

Buffalo will surely be desired destination for decent FA's.  

Well yeah, I'm not for doing what Chicago, Carolina, Arizona and other losing teams are doing.  Teams that are playing better than we are playing better than we are.  

We can go back and forth on this, but no, I don't see any reason for a full week off.  It's beyond clear that team needs more time in film study, and/or someone to do a better job of leading that training.  They could have spent a couple of extra days doing this.  

It's not as if this is the '60s and these guys make what many readers do and have to get regular jobs in the offeasons.   They make quite often insane amounts of money, at worst incredibly handsome livings.  Gabe Davis makes about $1M/year plus incentives/accelerators.  How many posters here do you think make $1M+ per year?  And we're told he sucks and is one of the primary reasons for our underachievement.    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   ... and for anyone that actually believes that.  

I do know that I'd like to see us stop underachieving and being so inconsistent.  

Which team in the AFC has better talent than we do on offense?   

I don't see one, but help me out.  

If we weren't on par with teams like the Broncos (which we lost to), the Raiders, or Texans looking in, then maybe my perspective would be different.  

I'm grasping at why TF this team isn't 10-2 or even 11-1 given the gimme schedule that we've had for the most part, instead of 6-6 and hoping to run the table simply to secure the 7th seed.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I think a lot of people are overlooking the possibility she put hands on him first / as well. 

It's interesting that she phrased her response as "nobody assaulted anybody" and it's also interesting to me that he left the house. When a woman becomes physical against a man in these situations, often times he'll do what he can to restrain her/ get away and then his only real choice is to leave the situation because it's far easier for the man to do more serious damage and see much harsher ramifications. 

Not that it isn't also possible Miller is just a dirtbag. 

But considering the phrasing she used and the quick recanting, this situation seems just as plausible to be two toxic people who bring out the worst in each other as it is a guy who manipulates and controls his woman through fear and abuse. Gotta wait for more info and to see how it all plays out. 

No one is wanting to be the person who lays out that hypothetical, but it’s absolutely plausible. 

And as you allude to, Von could also just be a woman beater. 

But if a woman attacks you, and you restrain her/push her off you.. she could absolutely bruise, trip, fall etc.. 

It doesn’t sound like there were any allegations that he hit her.  So we’re left to decipher injuries concurrent with applying pressure and shoving someone. 

Of course she also gave a statement, of which it seems she’s disavowing.. so I’m just speaking about her actual injuries in a vacuum. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

It’s funny how the narrative is that signing Von was a terrible move.  Everyone was so excited when they made the move and into the season it seemed to pay off. 

Forums do a lot of thinking with their ***** when signings like this are made.  

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Now since we lost Von Miller and he’s struggled to recover this season, everyone is saying what a bad deal it’s been.  And for the most part it has but it’s more of a result of injuries than anything else

His signing was an enormous risk to begin with, and the reason for Beane having to sign him was because at that time and after four of his drafts prior to that, he was unsuccessful at securing an impact edge-rusher for us.  

Anyone thinking that it was a stupid and far too risky signing was chastised, which supports your first statement replied to above.  

At the end of the day, Beane took an enormous risk to overcome his poor draft production.  He's getting quite a pass on that acquisition.  

Either way, that ridiculous risk has played out, and that was far from a reach in terms of occurring, between injury and age diminishment, and the performance part of that deal has not worked out, nearly at all except for 10 games.  

Given how much money he's gotten, that's an absurd amount of money per game.  

It's highly questionable as to why he deserved a week off.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Apparently it is well documented that there have been MANY such instances between these 2 going back over a period of years.  It's a rather toxic relationship and these 2 probably should NOT be together.

Amazing a guy like Von could be this stupid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.