James Cook and drops

lifefan

I don't care that he's a RB, that ball needs to be caught even if you're an unathletic FB.  It wasn't an exotic route.  He won the route, Allen dropped it in the bucket perfectly and Cook just simply dropped it.

I love the guy and he's a great talent but man, he seems to not be completely focused or something early in games.  Horrible way to start the Broncos game with the fumble.  Killed the momentum on the opening drive against the Eagles.  Last year against the Rams, fumbled on his first carry.  On the first drive against the Jets in the opener, first drive he completely whiffed on a blitz pick up.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't care that he's a RB, that ball needs to be caught even if you're an unathletic FB.  It wasn't an exotic route.  He won the route, Allen dropped it in the bucket perfectly and Cook just simply dropped it.

I love the guy and he's a great talent but man, he seems to not be completely focused or something early in games.  Horrible way to start the Broncos game with the fumble.  Killed the momentum on the opening drive against the Eagles.  Last year against the Rams, fumbled on his first carry.  On the first drive against the Jets in the opener, first drive he completely whiffed on a blitz pick up.  

This had me wondering. What if he had actual buckets for hands? Would he have caught it then?

2 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

This was covered in the post-game interview with Brady. Cook was not benched. The subsequent plays just called for different personnel packages.

The Bills’ offense has strange player usage.  Cook and Diggs come off the field fairly often, while Gabe plays 99% of snaps.

I also see guys taking themselves out of the game often.

Bronko Nagurski never came off the field dammit. 

• Haha (+1) 1

The bottom line:

Based on his draft status that was wildly an overreach given the position and state of this team, fan expectations were always extremely high.

He’s a good/quality runner with the ball, but by no means a top tier RB. Coaches and fans alike want him to be for a variety of reasons, but there are more reasons that he is not.

This is okay, but please (to those people doing so) stop acting like he’s being fitted for a gold jacket and his limited usage is holding him back. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

He always looks like he’s out for a brisk jog when he has the ball.

No passion, no anger no heart.

But I guess that’s why Pacheco is my favourite RB

He broke away with that speed once .  How'd they catch him.  2 defenders caught him. You're not wrong .

22 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

This was covered in the post-game interview with Brady. Cook was not benched. The subsequent plays just called for different personnel packages.

So why dress him? They try to get a lead or catch up without him. Then give it back when he enters the game. I'll tell you why. Cause Beane made him a high pick. 

On 11/27/2023 at 8:27 AM, Einstein said:

Cook running out of bounds instead of going for the 1st down made me just as upset as him dropping the TD.

I was thinking about this, and my take is he's in his head about avoiding a fumble. McD's benchings have created a mistake-avoidance mindset with him rather than playing with a loose mindset feeling the game in the moment.

A college hoops coach I love was caught mic'd up in the huddle last week saying something along the lines of "we want to be making aggressive mistakes, not mistakes of avoidance." I thought that was awesome when I heard it. As a coach you want your guys in attack mode and living with TOs that result from it. Otherwise  they're making mistakes because they're in their own heads, hesitating in split second high pressure opportunities second guessing themselves, and they're making mistakes anyway as a result but you don't get the upside to go along with it. I think Cook has fallen victim to that with the way McD has treated him with respect to mistakes from his literal very first NFL carry.

Might have something to do with the miscommunications we've seen with Josh/Davis and others this year too. Guys not feeling out the option routes but thinking too much about what will happen to them if they make a mistake, then a mistake happens in the split second decision as a result. If so, that's just bad coaching and not the mindset I want pervading the franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:23 AM, 1onemangang7 said:

The whole Cook pick is a joke. Like we don't know what a championship rusher looks like. He's like the fast athletic wrestler that you know is fun to watch but can never become champion of the world. He's meant to appeal to fans like C Biscuit and fantasy nerds who get aggravated when he only plays a 3rd of the game.  But to draft him so high every fan should make Beane know we see the horse ***** of the sellection.

Could've had Breece Hall and Tariq Woolen in the same draft. Instead they reached for Elam. 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Could've had Breece Hall and Tariq Woolen in the same draft. Instead they reached for Elam. 

I was in the draft chat with ya that day. Boy did we get some negative emojis.  How can we see it and Beane can't. We knew we were Cooked. Lol pun not intended 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/27/2023 at 8:07 AM, starrymessenger said:

Wonder what's up with Fournette? Not saying he should be ahead of Cook, clearly not, but I can't help but think he would have scored on Cook's muff. I've seen him do it so many times. He's great on screens and other flat route plays. 

he does have 7 receiving tds in this his 7th year

while he has shown to be a competent pass catcher Im not sure he’s breaking off a ton of catches down the field for tds 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Maybe hire us as draft scouts? 🤷😎

Sometimes I think the NFL wants certain players in certain markets ...of course I can't be sure but it enters my mind. 13 seconds away who would think Cook puts that team over the hump? It's baffling and I just can't root for whoever dons the colors anymore. 50 years of the team being my heart i think I can be critical at this point since being a passive fan brings no championship.

On 11/27/2023 at 8:52 AM, lifefan said:

McDermott can’t keep benching Cook for extended periods of time for a drop. Yes, Cook needs to be better with the ball. Yes, fumbles or drops are always costly. But benching him isn’t the answer. We’re not in high school here! Cook needs to know that coaches have his back. If Marv Levy was in this situation, Cook would get the ball on the very next play! On a fumble, or drop, he owes one to his teammates and coaches. Give him that opportunity to pay them back. Let him show his teammates that he has their back also!

Well at least he doesn't have as many drops as Davis, who has 3.  Cook has ...., oh wait, he has 3 too.  My bad.  

At least Cook's drop % isn't as high as Davis' which is 4.5%.  Cooks is at ...., ... scratch that.  

More reasons to get rid of Davis.  

Viva La Cook!  

11 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

I keep hoping he would be like Shady.  Hasn’t happened yet.  Haven’t given up hope. 

Doesn't quite have the lower body strength for that

I was hoping he'd be more like his brother...in his prime Dalvin Cook was a violent runner

• Like (+1) 1

I don't have any issue with benching him, it's just the length of time that bothers me. 

You want to take him out a drive, fine. But why continue that for multiple drives, and continously drag it out through entire games?

The issues with Cook's drops & fumbles are often how inexplicably bad they can be. The guaranteed TD drop against Philly would make any coach want to pull their hair out.

But continuing to pull him off & on each game just kills potential momentum & confidence. Josh also makes some bizarre INT's, but you wouldn't punish him by yanking him each mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I don't have any issue with benching him, it's just the length of time that bothers me. 

You want to take him out a drive, fine. But why continue that for multiple drives, and continously drag it out through entire games?

The issues with Cook's drops & fumbles are often how inexplicably bad they can be. The guaranteed TD drop against Philly would make any coach want to pull their hair out.

But continuing to pull him off & on each game just kills potential momentum & confidence. Josh also makes some bizarre INT's, but you wouldn't punish him by yanking him each mistake. 

He didn’t get benched in the eagles game

On 11/27/2023 at 8:52 AM, lifefan said:

McDermott can’t keep benching Cook for extended periods of time for a drop. Yes, Cook needs to be better with the ball. Yes, fumbles or drops are always costly. But benching him isn’t the answer. We’re not in high school here! Cook needs to know that coaches have his back. If Marv Levy was in this situation, Cook would get the ball on the very next play! On a fumble, or drop, he owes one to his teammates and coaches. Give him that opportunity to pay them back. Let him show his teammates that he has their back also!

Joe Brady said Cook wasn't benched for the drop.  He was just warming up some other guys and get them going too.

Edited by Scott7975

6 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Well at least he doesn't have as many drops as Davis, who has 3.  Cook has ...., oh wait, he has 3 too.  My bad.  

At least Cook's drop % isn't as high as Davis' which is 4.5%.  Cooks is at ...., ... scratch that.  

More reasons to get rid of Davis.  

Viva La Cook!  

You have some weird fetish with Davis. I mean, if he aint family then wtf?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

9 of the top 10 and 17 of the top 20 in catch % are RBs.

Thats because most of them are taking easy checkdown passes.

11 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You have some weird fetish with Davis. I mean, if he aint family then wtf?

LOL

I'd say that it's the opposite.  Those that blame him for so much have the fetish. 

All I'm doing is pointing out the blatant inconsistencies.  

Have we ever seen so much blame assigned to the lowest paid starting player on a team?  

Have we?  

It obviously bothers you quite a bit even though in this instance it was on the lighter side.  Why?  

Edited by PBF81

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

LOL

I'd say that it's the opposite.  Those that blame him for so much have the fetish. 

All I'm doing is pointing out the blatant inconsistencies.  

Have we ever seen so much blame assigned to the lowest paid starting player on a team?  

Have we?  

It obviously bothers you quite a bit even though in this instance it was on the lighter side.  Why?  

Wasn't about this instance.  You post it everywhere.  Especially this "lowest paid starter" stuff.  I don't care what he is paid.  If we can improve on him then they absolutely should.  It's not like they can't.  Davis is not that great.  He has good games but I've seen him drop too many must have catches.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Wasn't about this instance.  You post it everywhere.  Especially this "lowest paid starter" stuff.  I don't care what he is paid.  If we can improve on him then they absolutely should.  It's not like they can't.  Davis is not that great.  He has good games but I've seen him drop too many must have catches.

Thanks for reading.

You finished?  

Edited by PBF81

He wants to score touchdowns, he wants to play great. He runs hard and puts his body on the line. He does hit the sidelines one or two times per game when fans thinks he could turn it up and get blasted, but Cook is correct - at his size he’s being smart about it for himself and the Bills. 

OBD should just figure out a penalty for butterfinger plays that will motivate him. Make it fun. Sit him out with an accountability teammate—one of his good friends—and make a goal: Every time the ball hits the ground, he doesn’t get sexy time from wife for a week. Stuff like that. Shoot, making it a fun little bonding sesh between management/coach/player-family and have some fun with one of your star players, and bring in the wife for the get together at OBD. The other players will laugh,, and want to get in on it with their own face-to-face in a silly environment with management. Good vibes. 

OBD - do these things. Every little bit counts when you have to sell the organization to the players and coaches, and never the other why around. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.