Elliot - Best Clutch FG Ever?

st pete gogolak

I’m as pessimistic as any Bills fan but I’m thinking there is no way this guy is hitting a 59 yard FG in the rain and wind on grass.  I think the consensus is that Vinitari’s 45 yard FG in the snow to send the “tuck” game into OT is the greatest, most difficult clutch FG in history.  After yesterday, it’s in second place.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, st pete gogolak said:

I’m as pessimistic as any Bills fan but I’m thinking there is no way this guy is hitting a 59 yard FG in the rain and wind on grass.  I think the consensus is that Vinitari’s 45 yard FG in the snow to send the “tuck” game into OT is the greatest, most difficult clutch FG in history.  After yesterday, it’s in second place.

If only some numbskull of a Head Coach hadn't have given him a beat to catch his breath...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It could have been harder had we made the tackle in bounds rather than stripped the receiver of the reception on the previous play.  A running clock for that kick would have amped up the pressure.  - I fully understand that the defender isn't thinking about this in the moment.

Edited by DasNootz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DasNootz said:

It could have been harder had we made the tackle in bounds rather than stripped the receiver of the reception on the previous play.  A running clock for that kick would have amped up the pressure.

That's precisely what I said in the moment: let him catch it. He would not gain any yards, making for a quick rush onto the field.

Then again, who would that be harder for? Is it the team that just lost a game by sending 12 out there in the exact same scenario, or the team that seems to be prepared for anything?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Was at the game last night. Being in person and watching it on TV, you don't appreciate how bad the conditions are. It was a ricidulous kick. What is even more ridiculous though was taking a TO to ice him when we could have used it to drive for the winning FG in the event that he made it. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

If only some numbskull of a Head Coach hadn't have given him a beat to catch his breath...

Peculiar in two aspects.

#1 AJ Brown should have been tackled on the play by Poyer… Don’t know why he decided to play the ball resulting in a stopped clock on a play that would have only netted 4 yards and kept the clock running, forcing a team to hurry up and kick a FG as they are unable to spike the ball without losing the game… That is solely on McD. You just came out of a TO and can relay that if they tackle someone in bounds the other team is panicking for a FG. 

#2 Like you said, why give a guy more time to settle the nerves. It wasn’t like he waited right until kicking the ball to call an “icing TO”. 

So that leaves what? He called the TO to make sure there was no blunders on another game winning FG try… Just like the Broncos? I honestly can’t think of any other reason… And if infact that is why then that’s a bigger coaching concern that you’re worried players, without being told, acknowledge and prevent that same blunder from happening again. 

Just a whole peculiar ending to regulation. Especially when you factor in just settling for a knee and OT with 20 seconds and a timeout left. 

🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

It could have been harder had we made the tackle in bounds rather than stripped the receiver of the reception on the previous play.  A running clock for that kick would have amped up the pressure.  - I fully understand that the defender isn't thinking about this in the moment.

mcDermott would have called timeout to set the kick block defense 

• Haha (+1) 1

That kick could've only been made against the Bills.

Also, that was McDermott's second awful timeout that half, the other being on the drive where Allen was in the zone, the Philly defense was reeling, and he inexplicably called one when we were inside the 5. Killed all the momentum, before we miss a chip-shot FG. Infuriating.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

I've been screaming for Bills DBs to do this on passes all season and of course one of the few times they execute a knockdown on a pass perfectly, it actually works against them. Then McD helps out with a TO. 

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Give me a list of kickers who never miss. 

Kickers are like hockey goalies. Amazing one season , awful the next.

It was a good kick but I am not sure how high it really is in the history of the league...I mean it was meaningful for the Bills playoff chances but just another regular season win to maintain the 1 seed for the Eagles, it was not that big of a spot really.  Yes it was a national window in an exciting game but this thread is blowing it out of proportion.

44 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

He has done this repeatedly. Both with kickers and offenses that have a running clock and are scrambling to get first downs with the game on the line.

How he has not learned that you don’t bail out the opposing side is beyond me.

Incredibly frustrating.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

They gifted him a time out break before the kick.

56 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I've been screaming for Bills DBs to do this on passes all season and of course one of the few times they execute a knockdown on a pass perfectly, it actually works against them. Then McD helps out with a TO. 

Yeah if only Hyde could have swatted the one in the end zone earlier...

7 hours ago, Simon said:

The inner life of a Bills fan:

I figured there was about a 5-10% chance of anybody hitting that kick in those conditions.

I had no doubt in my mind that he was going to make it.

You forgot about the option of he missed it but the Bills had a penalty....that was definitely in play there too

• Like (+1) 1

This amazing clutch FG with the end of game on the line, the weather, the distance, etc..  it couldn’t come against Dallas or SF huh?!? it had to come against a team they play once every 4 years or whatever. sheesh.  As a fanbase and team,  we cannot get a break to save our lives.

My personal favorite is Steve Christie hitting a 41 yarder, down 2 points, at the end of regulation, in the sleet, vs Tennessee in the playoffs. Unfortunately, you know what came on the ensuing kickoff so it’s completely washed away by history.

Incidentally, it seems appropriate today to remember that on that play Dehaven wanted the Bills to run another play so that they could kick the FG with the last snap of the game but was overruled by Wade Phillips in another dubious HC game management decision. So, this kind of crap is not unique to McDermott.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.