The Salary Cap will doom us all (hope that title is better)

Pine Barrens Mafia

Don't care that we have the melon farmer and some think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

This team is in year one of a minimum three year playoff drought.  "Why, Pine?" You might ask. Well, it's simple, really. It's the salary cap. (All numbers 2024 per spotrac)

First up is the melon farmer himself, at a whopping 47 MILLION dollars next year. He's gotta be a whole lot better than what he is at that price tag.

Next we have the illustrious Non Miller with a 23 MILLION dollar cap hit for zero tackles, zero pressures, zero forced fumbles, zero production.

The next nothingburger with an enormous cap hit is Dawson Knox, who's got us on the hook for 14.4 million dollars. 

Tre White is next, feel bad for the guy, but his career is over. 16.6 against the 24 salary cap.

That's 101 million dollars in cap hoovered up by four players, and we can't really do a whole hell of a lot to get out from under that load in 24 or 25. Now, that only half the equation. The other half is the replacements to be necessary in the upcoming two years:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Milano - love the guy, but I have doubts about his future long term

Morse - long in the tooth

Davis - need better

Epenesa/Groot - given the cap, no way we keep both

Diggs - yes, diggs. He's 29 THIS YEAR. We're going to need to replace him soon.

This list isn't all inclusive but you get the point. The point is, we're not WASTING the melon farmer's prime years, we've WASTED them. By the time this team next sniffs the playoffs, it'll be the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-six, and Josh Allen will be 30 years old.

Will he be better at 30 than now? I have my doubts.

What's the fix? ***** if I know at this point but what I do know is this team, as it's constituted today is done now and into the intermediate term. Flane away haters, but numbers don't lie.

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 9

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Don't care that we have the melon farmer and some think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

This team is in year one of a minimum three year playoff drought.  "Why, Pine?" You might ask. Well, it's simple, really. It's the salary cap. (All numbers 2024 per spotrac)

First up is the melon farmer himself, at a whopping 47 MILLION dollars next year. He's gotta be a whole lot better than what he is at that price tag.

Next we have the illustrious Non Miller with a 23 MILLION dollar cap hit for zero tackles, zero pressures, zero forced fumbles, zero production.

The next nothingburger with an enormous cap hit is Dawson Knox, who's got us on the hook for 14.4 million dollars. 

Tre White is next, feel bad for the guy, but his career is over. 16.6 against the 24 salary cap.

That's 101 million dollars in cap hoovered up by four players, and we can't really do a whole hell of a lot to get out from under that load in 24 or 25. Now, that only half the equation. The other half is the replacements to be necessary in the upcoming two years:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Davis - need better

This list isn't all inclusive but you get the point. The point is, we're not WASTING the melon farmer's prime years, we've WASTED them. By the time this team next sniffs the playoffs, it'll be the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-six, and Josh Allen will be 30 years old.

What's the fix? ***** if I know at this point but what I do know is this team, as it's constituted today is done now and into the intermediate term. Flane away haters, but numbers don't lie.

I’ve gotta give you credit. The best part of this post is coining the name “NON Miller”. Thank you for that 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I get where you’re coming from logically and I get the resentment toward that possibility too. 

Josh is a stud and could end up being potentially wasted as I agree he’s going to hit a wall very hard and have some drop off. The only disagreement I have is when that will happen. 

Personally, as of right now, we are smack-bang in Josh’s prime years. At peak he has probably 4 more years of absolute high level play off before the decline. And that decline IMO will be a lack of ability to be physical; one of his best qualities. 

You need to get someone who’s only purpose is to continually improve, work and challenge Josh to become a better quarterback in the mental capacity so when the element of running the ball is not an option, he at least has a coaching perspective of the field. 

The rest of the players? You’re pretty much spot on with the exception of Milano. Dude will play a solid 3 or 4 more years barring another injury to that leg. 

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Davis - need better

melon farmers are pretty great. they bring us melons. i like melons. maybe you don't like melons? that's a shame.

what's especially cool is that we have a melon farmer who is also an absolute STUD QB! too bad you dont like melons or stud qbs you would probably enjoy life more but what do i know im just a guy who likes melons and stud qbs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Davis - need better

So regarding the “melon farmer” what else do you want him to do?! Aside from cutting down on turnovers, what else can he do? In 3 of their losses, he did what he was supposed to do-he gave the team the lead late in the game. If the defense actually holds a team, they are 9-3 and this discussion isn’t happening. His cap hit is huge next year, honestly who cares? Arizona, chargers, ravens, broncos, etc all will have bigger cap hits for the QB next year and I would much rather have our guy. 
That being said, I can’t complain too much about anything else you said. They have done a pretty poor job, outside of linebacker, of having young cheap replacements who are ready to step in…that’s also on McDermott for not actually playing these guys and figuring out what you have 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the first thing you post about being a problem is Josh Allen you are not really worth discussing football with.  Especially when qb's are essentially all slotted at salaries.  Each guy gets more than the last guy.  Its how it is done.

Im sorry but this place always blaming the qb is just kind of sorry.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

melon farmers are pretty great. they bring us melons. i like melons. maybe you don't like melons? that's a shame.

what's especially cool is that we have a melon farmer who is also an absolute STUD QB! too bad you dont like melons or stud qbs you would probably enjoy life more but what do i know im just a guy who likes melons and stud qbs.

I hate melons, it's true. They're like snot encased in rinds 

• Vomit 1

I can rant with the best of them…just ask my wife…but Josh Allen has nothing to do with the Bills problems. EVERY team is searching for a franchise QB. And every team knows that once they sign one it’ll create significant challenges to their overall salary cap. The mistake the Bills front office made was, and still is, Von Miller. I wasn’t in favor of it then and I doubt anyone is now. It was a huge swing and miss. Period! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Davis - need better

I don't agree that it equates to a 3 year drought, but I do agree with the rest of the post. This team as currently constituted is done. Allen apart how many of this team are you willing to put in stone as day 1 starters in 2025. Kincaid, maybe Torrence, Cook, Ed Oliver, possibly Groot (and some might challenge that). Everyone else could conceivably be gone in the next two years. 

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Yes, he wants to move on from Allen. It’s pretty astonishing. 

Whike I am not advocate of moving on from Allen he has a point if one believes the Bills can't fill the positins of those over the hill or oft injured players in the next 3 years. One has to hope that Allen's level of play doesn't taper off as he hits 30 and beyond - he seems like a physical stud so i don't think it will but if it does the poster is not totally wrong with his assertion.

Now having said all that, the Billls need to take a two year time out and jettison all that dead weight so they can field a complete team in 2026. Yes they'll miss the playoff but with some better draft picks and not falling into the trap of signing high priced free agents Allen could carry them back to the playoffs in 2026. Oh and they need a new coach but thats kind of a given.

Edited by entropyrules
  • Disagree 2

8 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

Whike I am not advocate of moving on from Allen he has a point if one believes the Bilsl can't fill the positins of those over the hill or oft injured players in the next 3 years. One has to hope that Allen's level of play doean't taper off as he hits 30 and beyond - he seems like a physical stud so i don't think it will but if it does the poster is not totally wrong with his assertion.

Now having said all that the Billls need to take a two year time out and jettison all that dead weight so they can field a complete team in 2026. Yes they'll miss the playoff but with some better draft picks and not falling into the trap of signing high priced free agents Allen could carry them back to the palyoffs in 2026. Oh and they need a new coach but thats kind of a given.

Not to be a jerk but you could not be more wrong.

This organization should go out and get the best coaching staff it can and continue to shuffle in players to help.  They should be right at the maxxed out point every year Allen is the qb.  When you have a guy like that at qb...and frankly this offense in general which is pretty outstanding with a very good offensive line, you should  never ever ever be talking about 2 or 3 years down the road and this nonsense about cleaning up the cap.

EFF the cap.  Keep it pushed right to the limit.  When you get out from under a few of the big contracts go right out and sign some more.  Worry about the damn cap and all that crap when you are back to having Trent Edwards at QB.  For now You go all in every year until you reach your goal or you go down swinging trying to reach it. 

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Not to be a jerk but you could not be more wrong.

This organization should go out and get the best coaching staff it can and continue to shuffle in players to help.  They should be right at the maxxed out point every year Allen is the qb.  When you have a guy like that at qb...and frankly this offense in general which is pretty outstanding with a very good offensive line, you should be never ever ever be talking about 2 or 3 years down the road and this nonsense about cleaning up the cap.

EFF the cap.  Keep it pushed right to the limit.  When you get out from under a few of the big contracts go right out and sign some more.  Worry about the damn cap and all that crap when you are back to having Trent Edwards at QB.  For now You go all in every year until you reach your goal or you go down swinging trying to reach it. 

well thats the beauty of this site as everyone has a right to an opinion. I doubt that the Bills will get rid of McDermott or do anything drastic with changing the roster. So we shall see if your premise that the cap is not a real hindrance proves out in the next two years. The one thing I would disagree with is I clearly stated I wanted to keep Allen so your comment about Trent Edwards was a bit disingenuous.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, entropyrules said:

well thats the beauty of this site as everyone has a right to an opinion. I doubt that the Bills will get rid of McDermott or do anything drastic with changing the roster. So we shall see if your premise that the cap is not a real hindrance proves out in the next two years. The one thing I would disagree with is I clearly stated I wanted to keep Allen so your comment about Trent Edwards was a bit disingenuous.

I didn't say you wanted to get rid of Allen.  I am saying when you have a guy like Allen in your prime you do everything you can at all times to keep talent around him and the best coaching you can.  If the cap is maxxed out and money is pushed down the road that is fine, keep doing it as long as he is here.  A few of the big contracts will be gone in a few years and other guys who are older will be replaced.

my point is that there is absolutely no way in hell you ever say well we will clean up the cap and try to compete in 3 years when you have this QB and this offense.  No way and anybody they bring in to be the head coach or possible GM in the future should be asked to leave the office as soon as they say this.

The first task here is to go out and get the best staff they can get and then let that staff make the changes to the defense they want and then let them coach it their way.  The current situation is not a good one and the defense and special teams simply keep making mistakes late to get them beat.

When you have "Franchise QB" figured out, everything else can be changed on the fly.

There is no need for down times, especially multi-year rebuilds, when we have Josh on the roster. Just retool and go. Bring in a new HC, new coordinators, some new players on defense and let's go.

Yes, the Defense will look significantly different next year as our vets age out. That is life. Not some grand mismanagement.

Out of all the players named in the original post, Von Miller is the only real issue.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Davis - need better

You lost me at “He's gotta be a whole lot better than what he is at that price tag”.  Did you see the game last night?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

At this point, it really doesn't matter.   As long as McD is here, the team will continue in quicksand, even if they make the playoffs.   They are unable to win meaningful,  close games with the conservative nature and scared coaching tactics.  

1000_F_114662827_Ozhfu2DSxNfgIRnlp5570vI

Don’t see why Josh’s salary is such a big part of this. Josh is the 9th highest paid QB in the League this year, with players such as Russel Wilson, Deshuan Watson and Kyler Murray being paid more, and Guys like Daniel Jones right behind (40 mil average instead of 43). As that contract gets older, more QBs will be paid more. As it is right now, Josh has been giving good value for that contract, leading the league in total TDs (by 5), and 3rd in passing yards. Cut down on the turnovers and he’d be the best in the league, as it is, he’s still playing as a top 10 QB for sure, which fits his salary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

At this point, it really doesn't matter.   As long as McD is here, the team will continue in quicksand, even if they make the playoffs.   They are unable to win meaningful,  close games with the conservative nature and scared coaching tactics.  

Well said. I’d like to add that if this season continues to downward spiral and miss the playoffs…and if the Pegulas decide to stand pat with McD, then that shows me they aren’t committed to winning but committed to being just ok and relevant. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tierlifer said:

Well said. I’d like to add that if this season continues to downward spiral and miss the playoffs…and if the Pegulas decide to stand pat with McD, then that shows me they aren’t committed to winning but committed to being just ok and relevant. 

They gotta keep up the luxurious lifestyles

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Like (+1) 1

As long as Josh is on the feld we have a chance ! With that being said - yes the cap thing isn't good as you said replacements all be hard the draft will be the Bills best friend for the next little while and this team will look totally different in a short time .

We have to hope Beane can do what he did when he got here the first year or so and do it again ... Have Faith in the Beane !!! 

I agree that the cap is going to be a mess next year, but Allen is one of the few guys actually worth his contract. The going rate for a franchise QB is 50+ per season and Allen is 100% playing at that level. Even with such a massive amount of our team cap dedicated to defense and defensive players on IR. 

I wonder if we'll take a bath next year with a new HC to reset the cap situation. No reason to think we couldn't be completely re-tooled with a clean salary cap slate by the 25-26 season though. 

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Davis - need better

Hyde - CUT

Poyer - CUT

Milano - Let him be

Morse - Move on

Davis - Let go in FA

Epenesa/Groot - given the cap, no way we keep both (agreed, and let them develop)

Diggs - yes, diggs. He's 29 THIS YEAR. We're going to need to replace him soon. (Agreed. WR in the 1st must be the priority)

Tre- Injury settlement/Cut

Von - Massive Cap hit, sit him and have him do nothing but pass rush on 5 man fronts, or cut.

There is a down year coming next year, that I didn't expect this year.  If Terry doesn't do something massive (Fire Mcdermott and hire Frank Reich) then he won't be selling PSL's and Season tickets very well.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

:lol:

Really? Would you like to return to the draught era QB’s?

The Josh Allen hate by some on this board is out of control.

The fact that some people can not see how great he is and how many problems he masks is incredible to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.