Who should coach this team in 2024?

Kirby Jackson

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s a good week for those that wanted to fire McDermott for Sean Payton. 

I take no joy in being right 🤷🏻‍♂️.

On 6/15/2023 at 7:01 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

This has come up here a couple of times. At this point, it’s the most appropriate comparison IMO. 

I advocated, last year, for Sean Payton this year, if the Bills didn’t (at least) go to the Super Bowl. Sean Payton with Allen and Diggs would have won multiple Super Bowls imo. It remains to be seen if McDermott is good enough when it matters most.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just now, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Let me introduce you to the man known as David tepper 

Guy just fired a head coach (after 12 weeks on the job) and forced to draft a QB with a trade up the teams gm and coach didn't want

Maybe that’s the one spot this guy would actually go back to. I have felt all along no shot McDermott gets fired. He fixed too much. The leaving would have to be mutual or him leaving. Maybe he would leave to go to Carolina. It’s going to become miserable for McDermott here because he lost the fans and he’s going to lose the team.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Maybe that’s the one spot this guy would actually go back to. I have felt all along no shot McDermott gets fired. He fixed too much. The leaving would have to be mutual or him leaving. Maybe he would leave to go to Carolina. It’s going to become miserable for McDermott here because he lost the fans and he’s going to lose the team.

It's the perfect spot for him 

Can be conservative with Bryce Young perfect skill set to match McDermott 

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Bill is a terrible GM. If he leaves the Pats and the Bills show interest, then Pegula needs to tell him that Beane will put the roster together and Bill will coach it. Let's be honest GOD couldn't win with Mac Jones as is QB. He is Zach Wilson level bad. But if Bill came to the Bills, he would have Josh Allen to work with. The record speaks for itself. Bill with an elite level QB knows how to win and win big.

Agreed McCorkle is trash but I don't agree that Bill is still a genius. In fact I question how much of a overall genius he ever was since most of his success came with Brady at QB, Scott Pioli as GM and Ernie Adams as strategist.

Now how's this for an idea. The Bills could hire Ernie Adams to be their strategist!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Why not Joe Brady? He's got offense back on track and has a Carolina connection....then Eric Washington can step in as DC...

It might not be as crazy as it sounds. If we really do want a young, hot OC... I think the only reason not to go with Brady is to feel like a true reset instead of partially maintaining the McDermott status quo. 

We'll have to see how the rest of the year plays out. Brady's offense is red hot right now but could fizzle down the stretch. 

15 hours ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

Brady was good today my one complaint is about not getting Kincaid involved in the second half and especially overtime.  They never targeted him after the first half.🤔

I think he got hurt in the first half. 

Took a helmet to the arm and came up holding it and not really moving it. He played after that, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him on the injury report. 

• Agree 1

I want an offensive head coach with a good system  but....

sometimes coaches like Andy Reid, Dick Vermeil, Tony Dungy, Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll need a second or third chance to apply what they have done wrong in past situations and get better going forward in order to win.

having said that.

Dan Quinn is going to be a huge candidate and especially if Dallas ends up Getting the nfc championship which I sadly think they are going to if the nfc ends up how I think it will.

So Dan Quinn here as head coach, with one of his guys as defensive coordinator and a young offensive coach (Maybe Brady) like he had in shannahan in Atlanta could be something that works.  In a year where there will be changes on defense its as good a time as any to have an established defensive guy here to help make the changes he wants.   Players love Dan Quinn, he kind of has a bit of Dan Campbell ness to him.  He refused jobs last year to stay in Dallas and try and win a super bowl.....Some think he is just waiting out McCarthy if he blows it in the playoffs again this year....but I can't imagine he doesn't take a job when offered this year......more importantly no one is turning down a job to a coach a Team with Josh Allen.

just spitballing.....kind of like having a different version of McDermott I guess.

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think he got hurt in the first half. 

Took a helmet to the arm and came up holding it and not really moving it. He played after that, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him on the injury report. 

Must have been why.  He also took a blow to the head unprotected while reaching out for a pass and they didn’t penalize the eagles defender which was BS.

Just now, ChrisWatson#21 said:

Must have been why.  He also took a blow to the head unprotected while reaching out for a pass and they didn’t penalize the eagles defender which was BS.

Lol yeah, that was after he hurt his arm. I forgot about that no-call. 

7 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

McDermott is not getting fired. It’s wasted energy. This is his first bad season during his tenure. They found something with Brady. McDermott will be Coach and Joe Brady will be the OC. They waited too long to fire Dorsey. They should’ve canned him before the season started. His inept offense cost the Bills at least 3 games. With Brady running the show the Bills are 9-3. At worst 8-4 right now. 

They need to get an offensive HC or they will be back to finding Allen a good OC in two years if Brady turns out to be good and gets offered a job somewhere.  It will be a revolving door of OC’s for the remainder of Allen’s tenure here.

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Everyone knows it's going to be McDermott in 2024, right? 

I mean this speculation is fun & all, but we all know Terry is keeping Sean next year.

If they make the playoffs, then yes but if they miss and its looking like they will then I wouldn't be so sure about that.

14 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If they make the playoffs, then yes but if they miss and its looking like they will then I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Terry has 5 years & $ millions of reasons not to. So get used to statements like this to justify keeping him:

"Since taking over, McDermott has earned the best win percentage in team history and ranks third in franchise history wins behind Marv Levy (123) and Lou Saban (70)." 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-announce-contract-extensions-gm-brandon-beane-hc-sean-mcdermott-2027

Joe Brady. 

If this continues he’s the only choice.  

He just dumped all over the Jets D and the Eagles D on the road and Allen is “back.”

We could already be sitting on our McVay. 

Been thinking about this all day. 

IF this continues on offense it’s him.   

ZERO risk bringing in the unfamiliar outsider.  

We could have our guy right now.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Joe Brady. 

If this continues he’s the only choice.  

He just dumped all over the Jets D and the Eagles D on the road and Allen is “back.”

We could already be sitting on our McVay. 

Been thinking about this all day. 

IF this continues on offense it’s him.   

ZERO risk bringing in the unfamiliar outsider.  

We could have our guy right now.  

If he and the Bills offense has another strong performance against a good Chiefs defense in Arrowhead, then you may be on to something here.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Virgil said:

At this point, anyone 

I am open to offers.   😋

But we are not the Browns. There I might be able to talk my way into a contract. But they are doing well, given the big picture. The BIGGER picture says they still have the same owner. 

I do NOT want Harbaugh as half of what you hear is where he might go next. He’s intense and I think his act will only last so long with grown men. I am curious about Slowik mentioned by Kirby. It’s always a leap, and there are no sure things. That is a fact. Fingers crossed, regardless of direction. 

HC Bobby Slowik, current OC with Houston

OC Joe Brady

Asst HC/DC  Mike Macdonald, DC of Ravens.

I think this would be a good mix (Brady's knowledge of Allen, Slowik's use of Stroud, and a solid defensive mind from the Ravens tree)

I think having Slowik as HC and giving Macdonald the Asst HC title with a little more pay to run the Defense increases his likelihood of becoming a HC in 2 years after bringing some of the creativity and toughness of a Ravens philosophy.

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Don’t be so sure McD isn’t shown the door. As has been pointed out, the team is heading into a new stadium with a new ticket pricing structure and PSL’s. McD staying put as HC after a home playoff loss followed by a non playoff campaign isn’t going to help drive sales . 

On 11/26/2023 at 8:43 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

McDermott is absolutely not the answer. He’s a loser that always loses. If McDermott is fired, it’ll be one of the most desirable jobs available. If you were Terry Pegula, who would you hire? 

I’m in record that I’d fire McDermott in the morning and hand Brady the keys. I’d give him a 6 week audition. If it doesn’t work, I’d probably hire Bobby Slowik. Ben Johnson would be my 2nd option. 

In on record that Kirby would be GM with the success rate of Buddy Nix

McDermott will keep his job if he wins at least 4 out of the remaining 5 games,  anything less and he is gone.  The thing any football consultants would advise Pegula is if he wants a top coach then his best opportunity is now when Allen is still young and his prime. The Bills HC job will be the hottest job available because of Allen in his prime.  He can't wait years for Mcdermott to figure it out,  Allen's prime years are next 4-5 seasons

As for McDermott,  he have proven he can rebuild a team and get them to the playoffs. So I could see him mutually agreeing to part ways if he thinks he can get the Panthers HC job. It could work out for both parties because Terry would need to pay a portion of his salary and Panthers are already paying two other fired HC'S . 

19 minutes ago, Wizard said:

HC Bobby Slowik, current OC with Houston

OC Joe Brady

Asst HC/DC  Mike Macdonald, DC of Ravens.

I think this would be a good mix (Brady's knowledge of Allen, Slowik's use of Stroud, and a solid defensive mind from the Ravens tree)

I think having Slowik as HC and giving Macdonald the Asst HC title with a little more pay to run the Defense increases his likelihood of becoming a HC in 2 years after bringing some of the creativity and toughness of a Ravens philosophy.

This is unrealistic.  If a new HC is brought in, he will bring in his own OC.  As to MacDonald...Ravens won't let him go for a lateral position.  They'll simply add asst HC to his title in Baltimore.

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

It’s right up there with “he’s a loser that always loses”

That’s what he does!! 2-6 in 1 score games and 9-15 in 1 score games over the last 3 years!! That’s nearly impossible for a team with the Bills winning percentage.

It’s cool that you’re fine wasting Josh Allen’s prime with “Mick Jauron” (trademark pending) blowing late leads. I’m on record that I would have canned him and went after Sean Payton. I’d be looking at Executive of the Year with that foresight. 

https://x.com/lifewithmikey52/status/1728980593269256601?s=46&t=aIi6rXjE4r9_s--847m7fQ

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, jkeerie said:

This is unrealistic.  If a new HC is brought in, he will bring in his own OC.  As to MacDonald...Ravens won't let him go for a lateral position.  They'll simply add asst HC to his title in Baltimore.

Yeah like most of the projections on this forum, this is completely unrealistic.  

First off, given his background, if Bobby Slowick is hired as HC, he isn’t going to keep the incumbent OC and will call the plays himself.  That would be like Rex Ryan keeping Jim Schwartz in 2015.  It was never going to happen.   He’d be more likely to bring a position coach from Houston/SF to be his quasi OC in title.

Second if you are Joe Brady who (unless he falls off a cliff) will likely have some success as a play caller this season.  Why would he want a situation where he wouldn’t actually be calling plays.

Third, as you stated it makes zero sense for MacDonald to take a lateral move and even if he wanted to Baltimore would not allow it

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s what he does!! 2-6 in 1 score games and 8-15 in 1 score games over the last 3 years!! That’s nearly impossible for a team with the Bills winning percentage.

It’s cool that you’re fine wasting Josh Allen’s prime with “Mick Jauron” (trademark pending) blowing late leads. I’m on record that I would have canned him and went after Sean Payton. I’d be looking at Executive of the Year with that foresight. 

https://x.com/lifewithmikey52/status/1728980593269256601?s=46&t=aIi6rXjE4r9_s--847m7fQ

Trading draft picks for a coach is always a bad move, Buddy.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'd say Bienemy has to be in the mix more so this go around for HC positions. Away from Andy Reid, he has turned the average at best Washington offense into a top 10 unit. He has Sam Howell leading the NFL in passing yards currently. Sam Howell. Not Patrick Mahomes, not some other upper echelon QB, but Sam....Howell. If they had an OL, they might actually be making some noise right now. I think Bienemy has proven that he knows what he's doing and it wasn't all Andy, or at least that he definitely learned from Andy. I think he could do some great things with Allen as his QB and with the offense, but I don't know what kind of staff he would put together or what it might look like. I'm not saying this is the way I would definitely want us to go. But if we were to go with an offensive minded HC, it wouldn't have me up in arms if we did. 

47 minutes ago, ALF said:

I would go with McD as HC next season and try to find a good DC .  Reich as QB coach. Put a new DC up in the booth next to Brady to get an overall view. Key injuries this year don't help.

I just puked 

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'd say Bienemy has to be in the mix more so this go around for HC positions. Away from Andy Reid, he has turned the average at best Washington offense into a top 10 unit. He has Sam Howell leading the NFL in passing yards currently. Sam Howell. Not Patrick Mahomes, not some other upper echelon QB, but Sam....Howell. If they had an OL, they might actually be making some noise right now. I think Bienemy has proven that he knows what he's doing and it wasn't all Andy, or at least that he definitely learned from Andy. I think he could do some great things with Allen as his QB and with the offense, but I don't know what kind of staff he would put together or what it might look like. I'm not saying this is the way I would definitely want us to go. But if we were to go with an offensive minded HC, it wouldn't have me up in arms if we did. 

You make great points about Bienemy, but I don’t think Washington lets him leave the building.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.