Shaq Leonard released.

FireChans

4 hours ago, nucci said:

why does he need to rest?

Because he's been hurt, doesn't know the defense and could use a few weeks to get acclimated and give his body some relief from the wear and tear of a full season. He has not played a full season in three years, why throw him to the wolves.

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

What playmakers do you want Beane to sign now?

Hold off until any come available? It's not necessarily signing them up now which is the issue either - it's the subsequent cap impact moving forward which may affect the Bills ability over the close season to do so.

5 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Hold off until any come available? It's not necessarily signing them up now which is the issue either - it's the subsequent cap impact moving forward which may affect the Bills ability over the close season to do so.

Who do you foresee becoming available this season?

14 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This is a guy that’s absolutely worth signing. He was one of the 3 best LBs in football only a few years ago. Sometimes guys need a change of scenery. Absolutely better then that we have. Make it happen 

Absolutely WAS better than we have. Almost no reason whatsoever to think he can ever reach that level again, though.

He's played 66% of their defensive snaps this year. Zero forced fumbles, zero fumbles recovered, zero INTs, zero passes defensed, zero QB hits or sacks. The only impact plays that show up in the stats are his two tackles for loss. 

This ain't your daddy's Darius Leonard.

I mean, Dorian Williams has a pass defensed, a QB hit and half Leonard's tackles on less than a third of Leonard's snaps.

19 hours ago, Roundybout said:

I would absolutely kick the tires on him. He’s a stud. 

yes, as the Bills need some more bodies in at LB now, and he may end up being a much different player on this team.

Remember: Jerry Hughes looked like a bust when he played for that dysfunctional mess of a team and that worked out pretty well for the Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, FireChans said:

The question is would you rather have him or AJ Klein?

I have always liked AJ Klein's game.  He brings a toughness that is always needed when playing defense.  He can't run like he used to.  But if one of our top 3 LB's go down, I think he and/or  Matekevich can step in at least in the short term.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Did anyone see Leonard being made available? There may not be anyone, there might be someone of interest. Is Leonard worth spending cap money on considering his record?

I did. I had him as a potential trade target. The Colts were clearly moving on.

12 hours ago, Doc said:

Releasing a guy with a huge cap hit and whose salary is guaranteed for the year is a major red flag.  The Colts save nothing by doing this at this point of the season.  At best he's worth a PS spot hoping you get lucky.

I think they were worried about being on the hook for next year if he went down with season ending injury. It's a brand new coaching staff. I think they just wanted to get it over with.

8 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

I think they were worried about being on the hook for next year if he went down with season ending injury. It's a brand new coaching staff. I think they just wanted to get it over with.

He wanted to start. The colts have decided Zaire Franklin is better and is their starter.  Shaq ain’t happy bout it so they said bye.

I agree that the injury scenario you mention player a part as well.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

yes, as the Bills need some more bodies in at LB now, and he may end up being a much different player on this team.

Remember: Jerry Hughes looked like a bust when he played for that dysfunctional mess of a team and that worked out pretty well for the Bills!

And Zach Moss looked like a bust playing for the Bills. He's shown more than capable on that mess of a franchise. 

Difference is when he was here, Moss was often injured. But his injuries healed. The stuff that Leonard suffers from...doesn't. He's a permanently broken toy at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Doc said:

Releasing a guy with a huge cap hit and whose salary is guaranteed for the year is a major red flag.  The Colts save nothing by doing this at this point of the season.  At best he's worth a PS spot hoping you get lucky.

Asleep behind the wheel…

#BillionaireProblems

On 11/22/2023 at 11:02 AM, Doc said:

I think he was griping in the media about diminishing role. 

for him it’s all about how close he can get back to 100% and how long of a wait it is. 

Colts were cutting him at season end no matter what. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

for him it’s all about how close he can get back to 100% and how long of a wait it is. 

What a great way to stick it to an AFC Divisional opponent and Jim Irsay Shaq!! Sign with the Bills and enjoy the Mafia!! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This is pretty much it, he’s a distraction and taking up time for the guys they want to develop.  This season is pretty much toast for them, so they might as well let the young guys do their thing and not have the headaches.  It’s kind of the issue we. Ow have w Von, you can’t really keep him sitting, but you might be better off that way.  Thankfully, Von has more self awareness and isn’t a major problem.   That said, I bet AJE wishes it was a merit based situation instead of him sitting while Von sucks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.