Road to the Playoffs

steven50

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

We have a bad conference record - 10-7 means we probably miss out on tiebreakers.

It's just not happening.

I don’t think there are four 10-7 wildcard teams.

Browns?

Texans?

Bengals?

Bills?

Colts?

Raiders?

Chargers?

Steelers are not as good as their record, they are going to start losing. Bengals will probably lose to the Ravens this week and fall to the same record as us.

If I had to guess, Texans get to 10-6 because they have a favorable schedule. Then one or two more teams will get there. Bills and Bengals have very tough schedules. I don’t really believe in the Colts or Raiders. Not sure what to make of the Chargers. They are a lot like us. Browns have lost Watson for the year.

It’s really wide open. Unfortunately we’ve forgotten how to play.

Edited by DapperCam
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Success said:

You know,  a thread like this should be for fans who still have a bit of hope to discuss realistic scenarios where the Bills could still get into the playoffs.

I get that other fans are frustrated and have given up - and I don't blame them - but what point is there in just hopping on here to ridicule the idea?

Agree. No ridicule from me. I appreciate the optimism. I don't have the same mindset myself though. I think we are out of the playoffs and have the off-season to get things straightened out. For that, I am optimistic that they will do that. Whether it's finding a new HC, getting good picks in the draft, getting Allen back to his old self, whatever it takes I feel confident they will figure it out. Unfortunately, I think we are too deep in the hole for this year.

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

You know what would be the ultimate Billsy moment. They somehow beat KC, PHI & DAL, and then lose to NE at home which ends up costing them a playoff spot. 

You know what we say, THAT SURE WAS BILLSY!

[insert laugh track]

• Haha (+1) 1

God I want to puke.  

This team needs to go 7-0 or 6-1 down the stretch.  

I have little confidence this will happen, but it could happen.  

They said goodbye to their OC who's been with the team for years, so this could wake everyone up.  I also could win the lottery. 

What a disappointing season 

It's just not happening this year. I'm just going to watch the games hoping to see growth in the younger guys and new additions. If that doesn't happen.....well as we always say "there's always next year" 

3 minutes ago, Success said:

Miami just has to lose one more game than we do over the next 6 games.

So 8 games?  I know I know. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Bills went 8-0 after the Vikings loss last year until they lost to the bengals. 

if they’re the good team say they are and want to make it to the Super Bowl, they need to prove they can beat the good teams. They’re not going to be playing the panthers in the superbowl 

That’s what I’m saying.  If they can’t beat teams like the Eagles or Chiefs now, well where was this team going in the playoffs then?  But they need to worry about even beating a team like the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

That’s what I’m saying.  If they can’t beat teams like the Eagles or Chiefs now, well where was this team going in the playoffs then?  But they need to worry about even beating a team like the Jets.

That's a mostly fair point IMO.

we can drop a game or two, as success pointed out, if we are one behind the fish for the last game, it's win and in.  i think miami drops at least 1, maybe more.

beating philly going into the bye might be necessary tho, from a momentum and confidence point of view.

2 hours ago, Prospector said:

Or run the table the other direction and get a really nice draft pick

Can't they just scratch by sinking the cue ball? 🤔

And as mentioned the other day, Buffalo at least controlled some of their playoff chances until Monday's loss.  With the loss, the Bills chances are entirely in the hands of opponents.  Buffalo could go undefeated the rest of the season, and still miss the playoffs.

EDIT: Monday night was the first time that Buffalo entirely lost control of their playoff chances, but future results of games might allow them to regain some control over postseason chances.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

32 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And as mentioned the other day, Buffalo at least controlled some of their playoff chances until Monday's loss.  With the loss, the Bills chances are entirely in the hands of opponents.  Buffalo could go undefeated the rest of the season, and still miss the playoffs.

Are you sure this is true. 

• Agree 1

NYT playoff simulator (I preferred 538's model, but that site is basically gone): 19% chance of making the playoffs.

But, as they like to say in these parts, hear me out:

- we beat the Jets: 25%

- skipping ahead (because I dare not confront the fact of the next two games), let's say we win out in our division. That means Jets on Sunday, then Pats, then Dolphins in Game 17. Without predicting the outcome of any other games (ours or any other AFC teams), and with the NYT's model of every team's relative strength/likely outcomes of all games, we go all the way up to 50%. Yeah, we still gotta beat somebody (or somebodies) else, and that means the Cowboys, or the Chiefs, or the Eagles, or the Chargers. Right now I doubt we'd be favored in any of 'em. But it's the NFL and stuff happens, and we're not exactly a bad team, so ...

... yeah, I'm saying there's a chance, and it's not a wild/crazy chance like 2017, which did work out after all.

It's that time for the playoff machine:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

FWIW I went through all the games for all the weeks and just picked the winners super quickly based on who I thought the favorite would be.  There will be upsets... there always are.

Picking the "favorites" for all the games (with the exception of Buffalo), Buffalo becomes the #7 seed going 5-2 with its only losses to Philly and KC.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:44 AM, Bills!Win! said:

The afc north is going to beat the crap out of each other. We will squeak in at 9-8. We will be fine (but not really)

I really, really don't think any AFC Wildcard team will be worse than 10-7

On 11/14/2023 at 8:47 AM, dorquemada said:

"Lurking on the internet"  yes I have never been on this site before but the cool kids said there was lots of sadness here today so i made an account and here i am

Was this a serious post or a joke?

With your posts, it's really hard to tell.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:49 AM, BuffaloBaumer said:

Just sold all my tickets to the Jets game and as soon as that one is over, we can start thinking about the draft. This team does not have one strength, and right now, that includes Allen. I have a bad feeling we will never see the type of play from him that we saw in 2021. We had our chance and now, it's time to build a stronger team around him. 17 can no longer carry a team like he did in the past and the sooner people realize that, the easier it will be on expectations for the future. 

The saddest part of this post is that someone actually thought it was appropriate to give a reaction of "awesome" to it  :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I think at 12-5 we’d get in, a ton would have to go wrong not to.

We’re not winning out though, so it’s a moot point.

• Agree 1

It sucks that we're already at the "need to get some help" portion of the season.

It's pretty critical for the Ravens to win this one in regards to Bills playoff chances. Steelers/Browns/Colts have a good chance of losing several games each going forward, but if the Bengals steal this one from the Ravens, it really makes even the final wildcard spot that much more difficult to get into for us.

Here's hoping Baltimore runs away with it tonight.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Are you sure this is true. 

According to PlayoffStatus.com, Buffalo does not control its destiny as of Monday night.  I may be mistaken in the belief that future victories by Buffalo would not elevate the team back into a situation where they can make the playoffs regardless of other teams' performances.

http://playoffstatus.com/nfl/billswhatif.html

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

On 11/14/2023 at 1:40 PM, Success said:

So, they have ZERO chance of making the playoffs? None at all?

I get thinking it's slim.  I think it's slim.  But there are scenarios and possibilities - and we're not even at a point where the math starts getting insane and you need all kinds of outcomes & other teams to win or lose.

You do realize that we have the worst conference record of any other team that's in mathematical contention, right?  

IOW, a tiebreak isn't getting us in.  It would have to be a division win.  

If Miami didn't have a similar siht schedule that we've had to date, maybe we'd win the division even if only at 8-9, but they do.  If Miami can beat the Raiders, Jets, Washington, and Titans, four of the worst teams in the league. they'll likely have the division wrapped up. 

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You do realize that we have the worst conference record of any other team that's in mathematical contention, right?  

IOW, a tiebreak isn't getting us in.  It would have to be a division win.  

If Miami didn't have a similar siht schedule that we've had to date, maybe we'd win the division even if only at 8-9, but they do.  If Miami can beat the Raiders, Jets, Washington, and Titans, four of the worst teams in the league. they'll likely have the division wrapped up. 

What are you trying to convince me of?

Are you looking for me to give up?  To say that we have zero chance w/ 8 weeks left in the season?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.