Joe Brady - What Do We Expect?

Jukester

1 hour ago, beer can shower said:

Is this the same Joe Brady, Bills Quarterback Coach?

Is this the same Joe Brady that you never saw sitting with Allen on the bench? 

Is this the same Joe Brady that let Allen sit and stare into space instead of grabbing a tablet?

Is this the same Joe Brady that never got on His Quarterback for ignoring Dorsey's called plays and going rogue?

If Allen did not respect Joe Brady's position on the sidelines,  does anyone think he will when they move him up to the press box?

Is this the same Joe Brady that came from CAROLINA?

Does McDermott realize there are other Teams to draw from other than CAROLINA?

GO CHIEFS!

59 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

In truth i'd be fine with a run heavy offense featuring Fournette.  Allen is a space cadet right now, and Diggs is the only reliable WR.  Kincaid, sure whatever, nobody is game planning around him, at least yet.  When does Knox come back? Surely McD will insist he get reinserted at the expense of snaps for Kincaid so even that's not going anywhere

The primary advantage of going run heavy the rest of this year since we're going to lose a bunch of games is that we see if the OL as currently constituted can support a run game.  they looked oK in that regard last night.  We know what Josh is capable of when his head is on right.  Plus, a run heavy game at least gives the cursed souls on the defense a little break between back breaking 7-10 minute drives

I agree with Allen is a space cadet right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

He learned a lot from Steve Ensminger at LSU.  I expect:

Play action

Plenty of RPO

Intermediate routes

Less shotgun runs up the middle!

Joe Burrow learned to attack via the intermediate/short routes under Ensminger - I'd expect to see a lot of that in this back half of the season.

Those are all concepts that Josh is built for . Should be simple 

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

IIRC abandoning the run was a big reason why Carolina let him go.

Matt Rhule wanted him to run 30-33 times a game lol

Why did the Panthers fire Joe Brady? https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/joe-brady-fired-panthers-offensive-coordinator/1q5f340etpzj61869m1s12ri06

34 minutes ago, Brandon said:

In the short term,  probably more of the same.  Perhaps better playcalling tendencies,  but there's not enough time to make major changes to the offensive philosophy at this point.

Can throw a few wrinkles here and there, but bye week would be where they might be able to make some more significant adjustments.  

16 minutes ago, DJB said:

Those are all concepts that Josh is built for . Should be simple 

I expect the Brady plan to be running to set up the pass.  TBH, I think the Bills offense will resemble the Bengals offense.  The Bengals simply adopted a lot of what Ensminger did at Georgia and LSU.   

I expect him to scheme players open and run more than two running plays.

2 hours ago, Jukester said:

Maybe just maybe, he can look at Josh's strengths and get back to those. 

- Play action from under center

- Designed rollouts and QB keepers

- Stop making him overthink things and be a dinker

- Maybe take a shot downfield once in a while

and using the middle of the field

• Like (+1) 1

IIRC abandoning the run was a big reason why Carolina let him go.

Yep!!!

HC would talk about committing to the run in the post loss presser, next week would come, 5 runs, 40+ passes.

Unless he has evolved this is gonna suck!

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I expect a worse offense.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The man had Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold as his QBs...all he should have been doing is running 😂

But he didn’t!

• Sad 1

If Brady steps the offense up just a notch, and, as unlikely as that it is, the Bills make the playoffs, it makes a case for Brady being the OC next year. 😲

Realistically, he's looking more like another fall guy for McDermott this season. 

Edited by I am the egg man

27 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

He better want to run the damn ball!

Yesterday it was OBVIOUS. But not all teams will be easy to run on like the Broncos. 

Talk about a tough first test for Brady. The Jets defense is one of the best the Bills face every year. I don't see the Bills running successfully this week.

1 hour ago, HoofHearted said:

Nothing will be different from a scheme standpoint. He's going to run Dorsey's (Daboll's) offense the remainder of the season. Like I said in the other thread - hopefully the players respond to a different voice in the room.

Sure, there won't be an overhaul of the offense.  But there are still opportunities to pick and choose types of plays, tempo, personnel.

26 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Talk about a tough first test for Brady. The Jets defense is one of the best the Bills face every year. I don't see the Bills running successfully this week.

Yep. That's why I added that last part. Supposedly, he likes screens. We'll see. Other ways to run then straight down the pipe. But Brady was fired as OC from Carolina because he didn't call enough running plays. Likely what cost Dorsey his job, and what we criticized Dabbol for...

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Just because they worked together in Carolina doesn't make Brady a puppet.

I've worked for a lot of people and didn't become a puppet to any.  I bet the same is true of you.

Joe Brady and McD never worked together in Carolina. Their first collaboration is with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At one point in time, a while ago, he was considered by some to be a new, hot young thing, comping out of LSU.

His career kind of derailed in Carolina where he was part of a losing regime, and never really got much experience...then he ended up here.

I would expect no improvement over Dorsey; they are both cut from the same cloth.

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Guys fail as OCs in one place and succeed in another all the time. For one glaring example, see the career arc of Brian Daboll. 

It’s amazing what a good QB can do for an OC. Brady had Burrow in college having the greatest single season for a QB in college throwing the ball. Great OC at LSU. 

Had a pile of garbage at QB in Carolina. Bad OC in Carolina. 

Brady now has Allen. Let’s see what he can do with a legit NFL QB 

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

What is Brady's personality, is he strong/dominant?   I viewed Dorsey as someone who tried to be Josh's friend which I don't think worked out well.

I’ve spent a day with both Brady and Dorsey shortly after each was hired as QBC.  Brady I’m not going to say will command your attention but he didn’t lose it like I saw with Dorsey. Brady seemed more in control of his thoughts vs Dorsey kind of being all over the place. 

Watched them both talk to high school players with Brady everyone was engaged and he could clearly communicate what he was trying to say. Dorsey lost each crowd pretty quick. Within a few mins the crowd was taking amongst themselves while Dorsey was still talking. I think Brady’s personality will get more players to buy in.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Just because they worked together in Carolina doesn't make Brady a puppet.

I've worked for a lot of people and didn't become a puppet to any.  I bet the same is true of you.

They didn’t work in Carolina together upon further review, but I get your point. I’m just going with the puppet suggestion because I think McD is a my way or the highway kind of guy. He doesn’t take accountability and throws people under the bus. I doubt Brady is given freedom to really control this offense. Just my opinion though. 

16 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I’ve spent a day with both Brady and Dorsey shortly after each was hired as QBC.  Brady I’m not going to say will command your attention but he didn’t lose it like I saw with Dorsey. Brady seemed more in control of his thoughts vs Dorsey kind of being all over the place. 

Watched them both talk to high school players with Brady everyone was engaged and he could clearly communicate what he was trying to say. Dorsey lost each crowd pretty quick. Within a few mins the crowd was taking amongst themselves while Dorsey was still talking. I think Brady’s personality will get more players to buy in.

That’s good to hear, meaning Brady could be a potential upgrade, I just worry that McD will assert more control over the offense with his own job on the line. I’m not sure if that’s logical on my part, but I’ve gone from being a big time McD supporter, to questioning almost everything. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

They didn’t work together in Carolina. 

Thanks for the correction...  Fingers moving faster than the brain.  

Regardless, I still don't expect Brady to be a puppet.  But unless someone here intimately knows Brady's character and personality, we're all just guessing.  

• Agree 1

I’m watching week 1 ‘20-‘21 Raiders vs Panthers. Lot of under center, motion, empty, jet sweep motion, screens, play action, deep ball to McCaffrey split out wide. I literally have only watched a quarter and a half and I saw all of this. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Lot of skepticism in here...and its fair skeptcism given the gravity of the situation.

But, look at what a coaching shakeup did for the Raiders...2 straight wins and a completely different intensity and level of fire in the players.  

This offense was flat, had no identity, no consistency, no fire and hasn't been having any fun.  If the change to Brady can breath some renewed life into the players and offense, bring some identity, can bring some creativity and new wrinkles...then he doesn't have to be perfect for there to be a big boost to this team and for the Bills to go on a run.  

And if the offense gets back to being what it should be, this team can still beat anyone in the league.  But with the anemic offense of the past 6 weeks it was also capable of losing to literally any team in the league too.  So lets hope Brady brings the offense back up to where it should be

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.