DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

The reality here is the Bills offense is far far closer to being elite than it is to being mediocre.  McDermott knows that and it’s why he made the change. 

The Bills go up and down the field. But for whatever reason they just can’t score with the same efficiency as they move the ball, and they don’t play complementary football and end up killing their own depleted defense 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, appoo said:

You guys act like the bills haven’t been wildly successful under McDermott 

I wouldn't say wildly successful. No Super Bowl appearances due to awful coaching and folding at the clutch times.

Tell me if you've heard this before, or seen this continuously under McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1

I think there are major issues between players and McDermott and until he is gone we're just spinning our wheels. I'm fine with giving him the rest of the season because aside from Leslie Frazier there's nobody "on staff" that I would want to take over on an interim basis. But he needs to go, barring some miracle turnaround. 

The team peaked at 13 seconds and has gotten worse every year since. Now the wheels are falling off and eventually players are going to start talking, even if it's "anonymous sources" type stuff. 

McDermott is done here, the only question is how much time we waste between now and a new voice in the locker room as HC. 

What's the plan? Draft defense with all of our top picks again and "run it back" to another early playoff exit in 2024 that buys McDermott another couple years to waste Allen's career and poison the locker room? 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

For those who don't know, I will say some things I've said before. It's on you to weigh it but...

Daboll was fed up with the way McDermott meddled with things. McDermott didn't earn respect and wasn't liked by many players, in turn daboll earned respect from the offense who bought into him. This caused a rift between McDermotts "process" and Dabolls calm zen like approach that guided our offense. Think back how relaxed we were.

With 13 seconds the trust daboll had earned shown in how that offense went out and executed precisely as a top team should with great talent. They were all in on trusting Daboll to put them in a position to win. McDermott had been over the shoulder much of the season with Frazier that year. As the game got tight at closing some felt as if McDermott took his hands off the wheel a little and lost composure/control. Frazier did a lot in those last minutes. The kickoff has McDermott coaching one thing but not the ST who had the kickoff and coverage out of sync. 

Players knew this. They were told all their career in Buffalo that there was a process and trust. And accountability. There were fights in the lockerroom and on the way back. To my knowledge no physical assaults, but peoppe pulled apart.

This was not even the first eyebrow raising issue. That was 2017 and the Peterman 5 pick game in SD. The entire team was against it. Team Captains told coach they didn't want it. Peterman comes in and throws 5 picks. By halftime players have texted a few friends and folks some pretty harsh words. No one could explain it. It was easily forgotten when we made the playoffs. Easily forgotten now.

Going back to 13 seconds - you can look at some interesting tidbits: Spain and coach argued, Hughes always being in the doghouse for no reason, Beasley completely abandoned and not supported to be himself, Araiza dropped, Levi Wallace getting tossed as a scapegoat, many others.

The lockeroom has a divide in the lockerroom that doesn't trust McDermott. That's part of the reason some players are here and stick/stuck (Lee Smith, AJ Klein).

There is a lot there that was seen and known by people around and left, even if we didn't like them. I would honestly love if Whaley came out and weighed in on his personal thoughts - it'd be a treat for that to be public. 

This makes alot of sense if you ask me.

Something has been missing with this team, and the origin was likely 13 seconds.

McDermott has since blamed everyone else and hasn't improved himself since, and the team hasn't looked the same since Daboll...despite last year's record that had alot to do with an easy schedule 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Anyone looking for McDermott to get fired will have to hold their breath.   He will get another season after this year.   Whether you like it or not making the playoffs 5 of 6, likely now 7, earns you that.

I don't understand this take either. Why is making the playoffs 4 out of 6 years with an elite QB while peaking with 1 AFC championship game appearance 3 years ago in which we were blown out and have declined ever since such a big accomplishment?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

For those who don't know, I will say some things I've said before. It's on you to weigh it but...

Daboll was fed up with the way McDermott meddled with things. McDermott didn't earn respect and wasn't liked by many players, in turn daboll earned respect from the offense who bought into him. This caused a rift between McDermotts "process" and Dabolls calm zen like approach that guided our offense. Think back how relaxed we were.

With 13 seconds the trust daboll had earned shown in how that offense went out and executed precisely as a top team should with great talent. They were all in on trusting Daboll to put them in a position to win. McDermott had been over the shoulder much of the season with Frazier that year. As the game got tight at closing some felt as if McDermott took his hands off the wheel a little and lost composure/control. Frazier did a lot in those last minutes. The kickoff has McDermott coaching one thing but not the ST who had the kickoff and coverage out of sync. 

Players knew this. They were told all their career in Buffalo that there was a process and trust. And accountability. There were fights in the lockerroom and on the way back. To my knowledge no physical assaults, but peoppe pulled apart.

This was not even the first eyebrow raising issue. That was 2017 and the Peterman 5 pick game in SD. The entire team was against it. Team Captains told coach they didn't want it. Peterman comes in and throws 5 picks. By halftime players have texted a few friends and folks some pretty harsh words. No one could explain it. It was easily forgotten when we made the playoffs. Easily forgotten now.

Going back to 13 seconds - you can look at some interesting tidbits: Spain and coach argued, Hughes always being in the doghouse for no reason, Beasley completely abandoned and not supported to be himself, Araiza dropped, Levi Wallace getting tossed as a scapegoat, many others.

The lockeroom has a divide in the lockerroom that doesn't trust McDermott. That's part of the reason some players are here and stick/stuck (Lee Smith, AJ Klein).

There is a lot there that was seen and known by people around and left, even if we didn't like them. I would honestly love if Whaley came out and weighed in on his personal thoughts - it'd be a treat for that to be public. 

Spain wasn't on the Bills for the 13-second game. He was on the Bengals and directly contributed to them losing the SB.

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I don't understand this take either. Why is making the playoffs 4 out of 6 years with an elite QB while peaking with 1 AFC championship game appearance 3 years ago in which we were blown out and have declined ever since such a big accomplishment?

Because the Bills haven’t lost to a team that’s worse than them in terms of perosnell.  The one big thing they did to make themselves the same level as the Chiefs and Bengals was Von Miller who hasn’t been available. 

1 minute ago, billsfanmd07 said:

Lets hope. Bench a few guys....Try new ideas. The Ravens had an undrafted guy get 6 touches and scored twice because he's fastest guy on the field. Throw Isabella out there....Anything new to get fast guys in space instead of our slow guys in traffic..

Ya that kid Mitchell is a problem on that team. Maybe Shorter gets some playing time? Use Harty correctly etc.  

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

Is this a joke? The dude is unhinged.
giphy.webpgiphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47bjto3l1c9dtlae130j

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Fournette hasn't been good since LSU. Any team in the league could have had him (including us) and yet he's still not on a roster which means he's not one of the top 96 RBs in football. If you think he's the solution to your problem, you're probably fighting for draft position instead of the playoffs.

As a starting back, completely agree. As a meaningful role player maybe. As a short yardage goal back with minimal touches, I disagree. Buffalo has two quality backs, which makes Fournette and interesting addition. Entirely not worth it given his age to the rest of the league and if Buffalo wants more from him than that I'd agree completely. 

I just suspect the three headed monster of Murray, Cook and Fournette is exactly the brand of complementary football McD has in mind. I hope the road grading O line men get behind it (yeah I'm looking at you Cyrus!)

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think there are major issues between players and McDermott and until he is gone we're just spinning our wheels. I'm fine with giving him the rest of the season because aside from Leslie Frazier there's nobody "on staff" that I would want to take over on an interim basis. But he needs to go, barring some miracle turnaround. 

The team peaked at 13 seconds and has gotten worse every year since. Now the wheels are falling off and eventually players are going to start talking, even if it's "anonymous sources" type stuff. 

McDermott is done here, the only question is how much time we waste between now and a new voice in the locker room as HC. 

You just can't clean house mid-season, especially during a short week. That's a move you make in the off season. Plus, no outside coach will talk to you until you have already moved on from the current guy. IMO, this will happen only if they continue to look like crap the rest of the way. We'll see soon enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

But he has called sh^t plays all season and can't get the offense in a rhythm. 

***** plays don't make you a 1 read QB that throws into double and triple coverage, overthrow your wide open WRs by 5+ yards or drop passes that hit you in the hands.

Those are the reasons our offense can't get into a rhythm, not the playcalls.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, appoo said:

The reality here is the Bills offense is far far closer to being elite than it is to being mediocre.  McDermott knows that and it’s why he made the change. 

The Bills go up and down the field. But for whatever reason they just can’t score with the same efficiency as they move the ball, and they don’t play complementary football and end up killing their own depleted defense 

Where do turnover and dropped passes fall in all of that. Doesn't player execution fall under your HC?  If we remove even half the turnovers, penalties and dropped passes things look so different right now from a Win/Loss standpoint.

At some phase accountability by your HC should take place.

Edited by Real McNasty

4 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Take is also makes zero sense. I mean if that’s the case BB would have what 30!more years? Instead it seems he is gone at the end of this year after 3 bad seasons.

It's going to sound harsh, but Josh cost Dorsey his job. 

Dorsey has had plenty of issues, but he didn't make Josh & Co. turn the ball over so many times... It got to the point where fans were saying Josh was throwing the game.

Dorsey's gameplan was actually solid last night. Execution sunk it. Receivers dropping passes, poor decision making, fumbles on top of INTs... all soured huge improvements to the run game & overall balanced approach.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

This makes alot of sense if you ask me.

Something has been missing with this team, and the origin was likely 13 seconds.

McDermott has since blamed everyone else and hasn't improved himself since, and the team hasn't looked the same since Daboll...despite last year's record that had alot to do with an easy schedule 

It makes sense because this is directly from OBD through not just a single entity.

Just now, clayboy54 said:

You just can't clean house mid-season, especially during a short week. That's a move you make in the off season. Plus, no outside coach will talk to you until you have already moved on from the current guy. IMO, this will happen only if they continue to look like crap the rest of the way. We'll see soon enough.

For sure, he sort of needs to stay through week 17.

After that he needs to be fired before Josh Allen is completely ruined. 

Dick Jauron would have won a lot of games with Allen as well. He had a couple seasons where he won a lot of games with scrub QBs. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://x.com/aaronquinn716/status/1724242402905317852?s=46&t=b_6DEUCIOVykcHVZYqq8jg

stuff like this is ultimately what cost Dorsey his job. The bills have consistently had terrible field position this season, as the injured defense has somewhat struggled to get off the field.

When you DO get good field position, we do this. That’s probably what sent McDermott over the top 

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Spain wasn't on the Bills for the 13-second game. He was on the Bengals and directly contributed to them losing the SB.

The year prior, yes. He's another example of mismanagement by McDermott. Also surprised McCoy hasn't weighed much in on the phone process. 

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm in the minority but Dorsey didn't deserve to be fired.  This was a panic move.

I think over time when the shock of last nights game wears off it might be 50/50 lol. I can see hating ken Dorsey but does anyone really believe joe Brady will be better? And we are still mathematically in the playoff hunt so the whole optics of it are weird.

The only reason I can see firing him is if McDermott wanted more uptempo playcalling or other changes like that to be made and Dorsey just flat out refused.  It’s pretty panicky if it’s nothing like that 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.