What's on Your Menu for the Cinci Bengals Game?

HIT BY SPIKES

Anyone find a source of tiger meat?

No?

What is the City of Cincinnati famous for food wise?

CookinGenie says the following:

From the unique Cincinnati chili to the beloved goetta, pretzels, bratwurst, Montgomery Inn ribs, Graeter's Ice Cream, and the thriving craft beer culture, the city offers a diverse array of famous foods to satisfy every palate.

Not much to work with there is there?

What a crap hole!!!

Rachel Ray who once was a hottie when she was closer to 100 lbs than 175 has this:

Cincinnati Chili for the Firehouse | Rachael Ray

"I'm cooking up a meal that I've written in celebration of International Firefighters' Day," says Rach. "We're going to make Cincinnati-style chili, which is always served on spaghetti—fun fact, by the way! I'm presenting this as one of the dishes that I'm going to share with my friends at Denis Leary's Firefighter Foundation Challenge event that brings awareness to the needs of firefighters." (Rach is a member of the board.) The chili is made with ground beef and red kidney beans and served with the pasta, shredded cheddar, chopped onions, saltines and hot sauce, even though she says the dish is already spicy. Yum! 

Ingredients

For the Spice Mix:

¼ cup chili powder

1 tablespoon smoked paprika or pimenton

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon smoked cinnamon or ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon allspice

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

For the Meat Sauce:

2 tablespoons olive oil

3 yellow onions, finely chopped

Salt and pepper

4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 fresh bay leaf

1 ½ pounds ground beef, 80%

1 quart beef bone broth or stock

2 tablespoons vinegar (white or cider)

2 cups tomato sauce or passata

One 14-ounce can red kidney beans

To Serve:

1 pound spaghetti

Yellow sharp cheddar, shredded

Finely chopped white onions

Saltine crackers, to pass at table

Hot sauce of choice, to pass at table

Serves: 4

Preparation

For the spice mix, combine ingredients in small bowl.     

Heat a large pot of water to boil for pasta. 

For the meat sauce, heat oil in Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat.

Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and bay leaf and sweat onions until soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Add beef and crumble. Add spice mix and stir. Add stock or broth and vinegar, then add tomato sauce and beans and simmer 30 minutes. 

Salt boiling water and cook pasta 1 minute less than package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water.    

Toss pasta with half of the chili and a little reserved pasta water. Transfer to serving dish and top with remaining chili, along with cheese and onions. Pass crackers and hot sauce at table.  

https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipes/cincinnati-chili-for-the-firehouse-rachael-ray

I have a bunch of organic lean beef in the deep freezer that I bought on sale.

I guess a damn chilli it is.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-VPlPaO6YGE?si=ptNo0FgM-O5hGpXP

Edited by HIT BY SPIKES
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

2 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

CookinGenie says the following:

From the unique Cincinnati chili to the beloved goetta, pretzels, bratwurst, Montgomery Inn ribs, Graeter's Ice Cream, and the thriving craft beer culture, the city offers a diverse array of famous foods to satisfy every palate.

Not much to work with there is there?

What a crap hole!!!

As someone who moved to Cincinnati and lived there for 10 years before heading back home to WNY, I will politely disagree with the above assessment. Haha I know it’s all in good fun and screw the Bengals, but the food and beer scene in the ‘Nati is as good as anywhere.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

As someone who moved to Cincinnati and lived there for 10 years before heading back home to WNY, I will politely disagree with the above assessment. Haha I know it’s all in good fun and screw the Bengals, but the food and beer scene in the ‘Nati is as good as anywhere.

Beer maybe. The food was meh or if it was decent it was a chain that you could get anywhere. I'd rather throw up on some noodles and eat that than eat the crap they call chili. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

I love this thread!! I remember back in the day on here when things went sideways people would just start posting random recipes. Those were the days!!

In the spirit of “the good ole days” I’m going with this fantastic roast pork dip from Chef Brian Landry:

INGREDIENTS

10 to 12 servings

1bone-in pork butt (approximately 5 to 7 pounds)

1head garlic, broken into individual cloves and peeled

Kosher salt

Black pepper

1tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped, plus 1 teaspoon leaves

2teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped

3celery stalks, roughly chopped

1carrot, roughly chopped

1onion, roughly chopped

2fresh bay leaves

4cups chicken stock

1cup white wine

½cup crushed tomatoes

3tablespoons unsalted butter

3tablespoons all-purpose flour

Crusty rolls or baguette

Step 1

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Using a small knife, make several incisions about ½ inch long and 1 inch deep all over the pork. Cut garlic cloves in half lengthwise and insert garlic pieces into each incision. Generously season pork all over with salt, pepper, chopped thyme and rosemary.

Step 2

Place celery, carrot, onion and bay leaves in a large roasting pan. Lay pork butt on top, fat side up.

Step 3

Roast pork for 30 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 300 degrees. Add chicken stock, wine and tomatoes to roasting pan. Continue to cook pork until internal temperature registers 190 degrees with an instant-read thermometer and meat is fork-tender, another 3 to 4 hours. If pork begins to brown too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.

Step 4

Transfer pork to a platter and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes. Using a fine sieve, strain cooking liquid. Skim off as much fat as you can and reserve liquid.

Step 5

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly until a light brown roux is formed, 7 to 8 minutes. Whisk in 4 cups of the drippings and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and reaches the consistency of sauce, about 10 minutes. Season with thyme leaves, salt and pepper.

Step 6

When pork is cool enough to handle, shred with a fork, then add it along with the sauce back to a large pan and reheat. Serve on crusty rolls or baguette, garnished as desired.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

For anyone going to the game, I would check out the Jeff Ruby restaurants. I used to travel to Cincy a decent amount, and those are great restaurants! 

Agreed!  I found it hard to get a dinner reservation anywhere near the stadium before the game (no surprise), so I took M&S as a decent option (and a great location).

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Beer maybe. The food was meh or if it was decent it was a chain that you could get anywhere. I'd rather throw up on some noodles and eat that than eat the crap they call chili. 

As with any city, finding the gems are the key. Skyline/Cincinnati Chili is what it is and is no different than a Garbage plate in Rochester. For the locals it is a delicacy and for the visitors it is very hit or miss. Montgomery Inn is an incredible restaurant and while the ribs are the famous choice, the entire menu is worth trying. Over-The-Rhine was really making a comeback while I was living there and the boutique restaurants and bars/breweries that opened up there were wonderful. Additionally places like Zips in Mt. Lookout and The Echo in Hyde Park are fantastic. Arthur’s was another great place to get a meal and Graeter’s Ice Cream is absolutely awesome. As was mentioned, Jeff Ruby’s places are worth a visit as well (although Jeff may or may not be a scumbag) and the water front along the banks of the Ohio has an incredible social atmosphere. It’s a great city. Glad I lived there, glad I came home, but it’s a cool town. The brewery scene was great and my personal favorite was Rheingiest. So many other good ones, though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.