We're overhyping the Bengals

Success

20 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

If we're going to judge based on avitars and such I could guess that you're  old enough to have a mature conversation with others that don't share your opinion. 
Beane said it today. This team needs to find its identity. That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement coming from the teams GM. Why should I think that Buffalo should beat any team with a GM sounding like that?  I'm not down on the team either. I just think they are in a down moment in the season due to multiple circumstances. 

We can agree there.  The Bills have been disappointing, however winning Sunday could be a turning point.  This team can and should win.

Sorry if I'm a homer.

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

We can agree there.  The Bills have been disappointing, however winning Sunday could be a turning point.  This team can and should win.

Sorry if I'm a homer.

Yessir. Man I'd love a good win right now for sure. Don't worry about if you're a "homer" no need to apologies for that. We love our Bills!  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Yessir. Man I'd love a good win right now for sure. Don't worry about if you're a "homer" no need to apologies for that. We love our Bills!  

Agree no need to apologize. We all want the Bills to win no matter what we think the outcome will be. Critic, optimist, or pessimist it doesn't change what the desired outcome is. Let's go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree but I think it's mor😀e than fair to say the Bills D isn't great either. I'm not sure it's even good. Tyrod matched down the field for the win. Thank you refs. Mac Jones looked like an all pro. Several teams have had success running the ball, they still have too many missed tackles, and pass rush is inconsistent. The injuries to the D are clearly felt and an understatement. 

Burrow is by far the best QB the Bills have faced. He seems healthy and the Bengal offense has had it's way with Buffalo. Granted a small sample size. I'm really not sure how we can be even remotely confident this current D can slow down their offense. Frankly, I don't think the Bills have the personell to be effective.Maybe I'm wrong here.

The Bills offense needs to explode this game. Play flawless, lose, confident, and execute. They will need to put up 35 plus to win. It's possible but I don't feel great about it. 

I see a frenzied crowd and Allen being constantly pressured. Spencer Brown will be exposed. I see a Bengal offense who gets chunk plays and makes big third down plays. 

The Bills will be resilient. They won't fold easily. Allen will make some big plays. 

I have said in this thread with this personnel not sure we can slow down Cincy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

Hard to be confident when they pushed the Bills around the last two times we saw them. They are on the upswing and the Bills are just barely treading water. This could get ugly come Sunday night, Buffalo really doesn't play well on prime time and the Bengals are in their heads. 

Everything is going to be different this Sunday.  

37 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

Hard to be confident when they pushed the Bills around the last two times we saw them. They are on the upswing and the Bills are just barely treading water. This could get ugly come Sunday night, Buffalo really doesn't play well on prime time and the Bengals are in their heads. 

Buffalo is 5-0 on Sunday night football since 2019.  Josh Allen is 13-4 in prime time.  We may not always play well in prime time, but we win a lot. 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

You want some cheese with that whine?

So only those w your vision/unscientific OPINION, OBVIOUS BIAS , have valid viewpoints according to your logic.  As an example , just listened to who i would consider more experienced and prob with more practical experience.  Jim miller just said the hail mary by the bids should be used as a textbook examPle of avoiding rush and then thrOwing a perfectly catacable ball. This was seconded by rich Gannon , as bills laid on the field while a Ball hit the turf as not one bill touched it.  Given the past two prior haik Mary successes against this regimen , it is inexcusable a flaw in coaching, learning, execution.  Also we won 2 of our last games on the last play , lost the other and could easily be 3-5.   Pat kiwis said to miller , “does it feel the bills are a sb contending team?  I don’t , something is missing and you dont know which team will show up”.  Also commented on Dorsey’s lack of adjusting.  Miller agreed.  So do they fit as whiners “fans” in your eyes , or perhaps experts can look objectively at what they have seen in real life. 

If you have to revert to calling others opinions names , not even willing to listen or be civil with some analysis , it says more about blind fandom , bias , and an arrogance that only your vision has validity.  It’s a forum. There is adequate room for more than one view and i bet you thought / called all wins for the bills prior to losses to the powerhouse jags/jets/pats , but i dont want to put words in your mouth if you said those would be close games. How bout proving some objectivity and let’s see your prior analysis of those games ?  Just because some think this bengals squad will be favored and very possibly a loss, doesn’t make them whiners; more like analytical adults. Flame me all you want. Been a bills fan since ‘63, went two sb 27/28, and my fan quality is beyond name calling, and i can be objective as no team has won every game.  How many super bowls have we played in under mcd?  Hmmmm,   Facts are reality.  

• Like (+1) 1

They are 4-3 but just kinda smoked the team that was talked about as SB favorites on the road. This is their pattern. They start out slow and become  SB contenders. They have a ton of talent and have been really good for the last 3 years. 

why is it so hard to just say the Bengals are a really good team? If you weren’t a fan of either team, more recently, the Bengals have been playing better football. Can the Bills beat them? absolutely. They also can lay a dud like they have for most of the month. This would be a statement win.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

Yawn....

Before watching them this week, I'd tend to agree. However, it looks like they're healthy and back on track.

I'm all for positivity and the doom and gloom is a little much. But I don't think fans are overhyping them. 

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of what you posted and the doom and gloom. If we pull this off, it's going to be a battle.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

So only those w your vision/unscientific OPINION, OBVIOUS BIAS , have valid viewpoints according to your logic.  As an example , just listened to who i would consider more experienced and prob with more practical experience.  Jim miller just said the hail mary by the bids should be used as a textbook examPle of avoiding rush and then thrOwing a perfectly catacable ball. This was seconded by rich Gannon , as bills laid on the field while a Ball hit the turf as not one bill touched it.  Given the past two prior haik Mary successes against this regimen , it is inexcusable a flaw in coaching, learning, execution.  Also we won 2 of our last games on the last play , lost the other and could easily be 3-5.   Pat kiwis said to miller , “does it feel the bills are a sb contending team?  I don’t , something is missing and you dont know which team will show up”.  Also commented on Dorsey’s lack of adjusting.  Miller agreed.  So do they fit as whiners “fans” in your eyes , or perhaps experts can look objectively at what they have seen in real life. 

If you have to revert to calling others opinions names , not even willing to listen or be civil with some analysis , it says more about blind fandom , bias , and an arrogance that only your vision has validity.  It’s a forum. There is adequate room for more than one view and i bet you thought / called all wins for the bills prior to losses to the powerhouse jags/jets/pats , but i dont want to put words in your mouth if you said those would be close games. How bout proving some objectivity and let’s see your prior analysis of those games ?  Just because some think this bengals squad will be favored and very possibly a loss, doesn’t make them whiners; more like analytical adults. Flame me all you want. Been a bills fan since ‘63, went two sb 27/28, and my fan quality is beyond name calling, and i can be objective as no team has won every game.  How many super bowls have we played in under mcd?  Hmmmm,   Facts are reality.  

Doesn't mean I don't still think the Bills are the better team, especially with Allen as their qb.  

Btw Cincy's defence has not been good, except inside their 10 yard line.

This is an important game where they need to show their mettle.

McD too needs to show he is a big game coach.

Edited by Billsfan1972

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

We're nine pages deep, so I'm certain it's already been said, but our "overhyping" of the Bengals is based on them absolutely owning us in the 5+ quarters we played against them last year.  I'm not inclined to downplay the Bengals until we prove we can hang with them.  

They owned us in the playoff game.  We drove down the field as easy as they did in the short time the 1st game was played.  We missed on the 3rd down play at the end of that drive, but not enough of that game was played to make any determination whatsoever.

Anyone that wants to make definitive conclusions based on one game is entitled to their opinion, of course.

But this thread is not to downplay the Bengals. It was a response to probably dozens of posts I've seen saying we have no chance.  This is a pretty even match-up.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Success said:

Great team, and they could absolutely beat us on Sunday.

But what's the deal?  Reading this board, we seem to have little to no chance.  If I just went by the posts here, I'd think Cincy was the top team in the league, and unstoppable.

The Bills have lost as many games as the Bengals.  Our losses were all close. Basically down to a play or 2.  The Bengals have been absolutely blown out - twice. Against the Browns and Titans; not exactly world beaters.

"Burrow's calf was hurt" seems to be the main excuse.  Kind of like JA's UCL the entire 2nd half of the 2022 season, or his shoulder much of this season.  Excuses are just that.  That team has gotten blown out - twice.

This is as even a match of good teams as there is in the NFL.  Let's take a break on the doom talk.  Their struggles have been very similar to ours this year.  This should be a great game.

The 2 rolling eyes, 4 red X’s and 1 thumbs down emojis represent the uninformed haters on this thread. Just let them be them and pay no mind.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Success said:

They owned us in the playoff game.  We drove down the field as easy as they did in the short time the 1st game was played.  We missed on the 3rd down play at the end of that drive, but not enough of that game was played to make any determination whatsoever.

Anyone that wants to make definitive conclusions based on one game is entitled to their opinion, of course.

But this thread is not to downplay the Bengals. It was a response to probably dozens of posts I've seen saying we have no chance.  This is a pretty even match-up.

I know. It's OK to say that the Bengals are a very good team that poses problems for the Bills. But posters on TBD are making them out to be the Greatest Show on Turf on offense and the 85 Bears on defense. They are a very good cap-era NFL team, as are we. Should be a good game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Either team could win this game. Either team could win by blowout. It could be a close game. 

I think the main cause "over hyping" the Bengals is that Joe Burrows is coming off one of his career best games, and the Bills a little over a week ago, allowed Mac Jones to have the best game of his career.  Holding Burrows below the Jones performance levels is plausible.  But it is also pretty plausible that Burrows performs better than Jones. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can we stop the thing we do every year where we ignore very distressing patterns in favor of overall record/stats, just to help cover up the issues?

Bills first 4 games - 139 points for / 55 points against (+84 differential / 3-1 record)

Bills last 4 games - 78 points for / 81 points against (-3 differential / 2-2 record)

Bengals first 4 games - 49 points for / 94 points against (-45 differential / 1-3 record)

Bengals last 3 games - 82 points for / 50 points against (+32 differential / 3-0 record)

So unless games from 1 month ago matter, I think we should start paying attention to RECENT play, and not overall record/stats. 

Also worth noting, the Bills last 4 games were against the 6-2 Jags, 2-6 Patriots, 2-6 Giants, and 3-4 Bucs... those are the opponents we faced during our RECENT bad stretch. Bengals have scored more points in 3 games than we have in 4. They also beat 2 teams with winning records, we beat 0. 

Sure, it looks nice to say we have a +81 point differential vs the Bengals -13, or that our defense has 8 INTs vs the Bengals 10 INTs, but when you've had 0 INTs & a negative point differential in the last month, how does that help predict the upcoming game?

I'm not saying we're going to lose, and I get everyone wants to be optimistic hoping to manifest a win into existence, but nobody is "overhyping" the Bengals, they're just keeping a modest mindset.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here's the thing. Bengals look better yes. BUT, they beat a bad Cardinals team, a mediocre Seahawks team (by 4 points) and a 49ers team who I believe is In a slump. The 9ers win is their most impressive, but Purdy has been kinda lousy lately, and Im not quite sure the Bengals beat the 9ers at their best. Having said that, the Bengals are a good team, and the bills having lost to the Patriots and jets doesn't give me a huge amount of confidence, but this is a game the bills should win if they have super bowl aspirations 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I expect a shoot out in this game.  If I am honest I expect the Bengals pull it off with a 2 minute TD drive to win by 7.  

BENGALS 45

Bills 35

New threads Monday be “what’s wrong with the O?” “is Josh hurt”… or “it’s not the D fault” 

I hope you don’t have hot water in the morning.

• Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Can we stop the thing we do every year where we ignore very distressing patterns in favor of overall record/stats, just to help cover up the issues?

Bills first 4 games - 139 points for / 55 points against (+84 differential / 3-1 record)

Bills last 4 games - 78 points for / 81 points against (-3 differential / 2-2 record)

Bengals first 4 games - 49 points for / 94 points against (-45 differential / 1-3 record)

Bengals last 3 games - 82 points for / 50 points against (+32 differential / 3-0 record)

So unless games from 1 month ago matter, I think we should start paying attention to RECENT play, and not overall record/stats. 

Also worth noting, the Bills last 4 games were against the 6-2 Jags, 2-6 Patriots, 2-6 Giants, and 3-4 Bucs... those are the opponents we faced during our RECENT bad stretch. Bengals have scored more points in 3 games than we have in 4. They also beat 2 teams with winning records, we beat 0. 

Sure, it looks nice to say we have a +81 point differential vs the Bengals -13, or that our defense has 8 INTs vs the Bengals 10 INTs, but when you've had 0 INTs & a negative point differential in the last month, how does that help predict the upcoming game?

I'm not saying we're going to lose, and I get everyone wants to be optimistic hoping to manifest a win into existence, but nobody is "overhyping" the Bengals, they're just keeping a modest mindset.

Re: the bolded - are you sure we're reading the same posts on this board?

I'd say close to half the posts I've seen have either said we have no chance at all, or will need everything to go our way to eek out a win.

This is a good match-up, of good & pretty evenly matched teams.  I'd give Cincy an edge as the home team coming off a big win, but that's about it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

We're nine pages deep, so I'm certain it's already been said, but our "overhyping" of the Bengals is based on them absolutely owning us in the 5+ quarters we played against them last year.  I'm not inclined to downplay the Bengals until we prove we can hang with them.  

The Chiefs have owned us, the Ravens owned us , so did the Titans. We beat them all eventually. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

I expect a shoot out in this game.  If I am honest I expect the Bengals pull it off with a 2 minute TD drive to win by 7.  

BENGALS 45

Bills 35

New threads Monday be “what’s wrong with the O?” “is Josh hurt”… or “it’s not the D fault” 

I don’t think the Bengals can score that many points. I see it more like a 28-24 type game.

Just now, Governor said:

I don’t think the Bengals can score that many points. I see it more like a 28-24 type game.

It could be! I am just expecting a high scoring game. I am not impressed with either Defense.  I just give the Bengals the nod since they are at home.

14 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Nobody wants to hear it.  But maybe the Bills are the ones overhyped.

Everything about the last full season of play tells me that Cincinnati is the far superior team.   

Sorry man, but everyone and their mother thinks it's fashionable to dunk on the Bills. So who exactly is overrating them? The optimistic Bills fans, who will only go as far as saying "I think and hope the Bills can win this game if they show up" ? Why is that an unreasonable take? 

Versus the hordes of people telling us in no uncertain terms to take the Bengals and the line because Cincinnati is definitely going to destroy us - Cincinnati, who QB injury or not, has played exactly one good game against a real NFL team this year? And who looked far worse in weeks 1-4, and the game before SF, than the Bills have looked in most games this year? If you can say Burrow's injury plays a role, I can say that so did losing 33% of our starting defense. And after 3 games of disturbing trends from that, we finally saw a change in concavity on that regard. 

Burrow was healthy for Seattle and after the first two drives couldn't do *****. Why does he get a pass for that? They have beaten a crappy NFC division and lost every single AFC matchup they've played. 

They are absolutely capable of beating the Bills, and even beating them handily. I trust their track record and think they've figured it out. This is a concession infinitely further than everyone who talks like you is willing to go for a Bills team with a longer, better track record. That is why we have so little patience for the people who seem to live to come here and B word when things aren't going as good as they possibly can.

6 hours ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

Pretty sure Josh Allen ( and subsequently the Bills ) has a pretty good record in prime time games. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m sure someone will chime in . The Bengals are in their heads after essentially a single game ? Seems silly but the legend grows seemingly by the day around here. 

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I disagree. While their recent play cannot be overlooked , they’ve played better , a LOT better this season. Not in 2021 or 2020, but this season. Even Vs better teams than they’ve played recently. If you assume that recent trends will continue on indefinitely, the same should have held true for good trends, no ? It did not. Truth is none of us know when or if the Bills will find their earlier rhythm. Or if the Bengals recent stretch of better play will continue. I’m nowhere near certain of a win : it’s a game the Bills could easily lose. I also don’t think the Bengals are the best team in the NFL, or even the AFC for that matter. The balanced opinion - that the Bills can absolutely win this game - is not the extreme opinion here. That would be the one that says since they lost an earlier matchup , and played very poorly in doing so they are doomed to get a similar effort and result on Sunday night. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Pretty sure Josh Allen ( and subsequently the Bills ) has a pretty good record in prime time games. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m sure someone will chime in . The Bengals are in their heads after essentially a single game ? Seems silly but the legend grows seemingly by the day around here. 

Josh Allen is one of the best 2 or 3 prime time QBs in the history of the NFL. They are 5-0 on Sunday night, 6-0 on Thursday night, but 3-4 on Monday night I believe. Might be slightly off. 

night.thumb.png.8d8abd04269c017b83877ae1da5a8baa.png

Highlighted are his career splits in "Late" games

Bengals had two weeks to prepare for the 49ers and based on that outcome they are now juggernauts  Recent result bias at its best  Few weeks ago they were being buried.  I wont be shocked by an outcome either way but think the Bills are due for a big win and Josh typically lights it up in prime time games.  I would think he and Diggs are still seething after the flat playoff performance

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.