We're overhyping the Bengals

Success

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If we can't score points on the Bengals we have an issue. Because their defense does have vulnerabilities. 

Their offense is humming right now and I don't give our undermanned D a great shot at stopping them.

Knowing that Zac Taylor does a good job with game scripts, i do wonder how much the bye has an effect on them.  With Burrow they're 3-0 coming out of the bye week.  Last season they didn't lose a game until the afc championship after their week 10 bye.  I don't know that they'll have that same level of run missing some of the pieces they had on defense a year ago.  

10 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

No whining here. I’m just not one to pretend something means more than it really does. But, hey, if you want to pretend that a win this weekend is adequate “revenge” for getting smacked down in the playoffs last season, then you do you. 

Please show us on the doll where the bengals touched you.

11 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Cincy was struggling early because the qb was dinged, that appears to be in the past.  I think we struggle here…. Just mho!

To have a shot offensively we need to play mistake free, play fast and spread the ball. The issue is the defense.  Can we stop a good offense with all the injuries we have….

Was he dinged up vs. Seattle too?  He was not very good that game.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nobody wants to hear it.  But maybe the Bills are the ones overhyped.

The last 4 games (which equals roughly a quarter of the season), the Bills have been absolutely terrible.  Very lucky they weren't 0-4 during that stretch.  It started with them totally flat in Jacksonville on both sides of the ball.  They probably should have lost to the bottom-feeder Giants and were bailed-out by a no-call PI in the endzone.  They were unable to stop probably the worst offense in the NFL and lost to the pathetic Patriots.  The game that supposedly saw us get back on track?  We failed to put the Bucs away, and honestly should have lost on a Hail Mary.

To my eye, it was last Halloween (second half against the Green Bay Packers) that everything started sliding backwards.  Not exactly sure why, but I know I'm not the only one who noticed a change in the Bills after that game.  We've heard excuses about UCL joints, snow, Damar Hamlin, Josh Allen's girlfriend, etc.  Since that point, we've played 19 games (including the postseason).  That's a pretty good sample size.  The only time we've looked good (on both sides of the ball) for a stretch longer than 2-3 quarters was during Weeks 2-4 this season.  Raiders, Commanders, Dolphins.  The rest of the time, we've either:

- Struggled to move the ball on offense for multiple quarters

- Struggled to stop the opponent's offense 

- Killed ourselves with stupid turnovers and penalties

Lots of people want to call B.S. on the Joe Burrow injury excuse.  But anyone who watched them play this year could tell he wasn't right the first handful of games.  And they can tell he looks way different now. 

Everything about the last full season of play tells me that Cincinnati is the far superior team.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This is the case with many of the posters here who just want an excuse if the Bills lose and have many here thinking the Bills are playing the most complete team in the NFL.  The same will be said when the Bills play the Chiefs, Eagles, Dallas & LA, explaining one of the following:

• that their opponents just found their groove,
  • WR's too fast
  • QB's in the zone
  • bad matchup
  • Bills emotionally drained...... 

The Bengals D has been bad and they have 1.5 quality wins (SF and maybe Seattle who they put up all of 17 points on and twice were inside the 10 yard line the last 3 minutes and couldn't score).

The defeatist attitude is ridiculous.  

Why is it ridiculous for a fan to think the Bills may lose. Bad matchups are a real thing. Fast WR against our banged up defense is a real thing. Buffalo hasn't played ver good QBs lately and lost to a couple of them them (almost 3) that's a real thing.  Maybe I'm wrong but I'd say "realistic" would be a good word to use. The Bills themselves even say that they haven't been playing their best. Just my thoughts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Success said:

Great team, and they could absolutely beat us on Sunday.

But what's the deal?  Reading this board, we seem to have little to no chance.  If I just went by the posts here, I'd think Cincy was the top team in the league, and unstoppable.

The Bills have lost as many games as the Bengals.  Our losses were all close. Basically down to a play or 2.  The Bengals have been absolutely blown out - twice. Against the Browns and Titans; not exactly world beaters.

"Burrow's calf was hurt" seems to be the main excuse.  Kind of like JA's UCL the entire 2nd half of the 2022 season, or his shoulder much of this season.  Excuses are just that.  That team has gotten blown out - twice.

This is as even a match of good teams as there is in the NFL.  Let's take a break on the doom talk.  Their struggles have been very similar to ours this year.  This should be a great game.

They were gonna blow us away before Hamlin died...and then they embarrassed us in the playoffs with 4 3rd string offensive linemen....Burrow finally has got his groove back. I expect us to get smashed again

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The last 4 games (which equals roughly a quarter of the season), the Bills have been absolutely terrible.  Very lucky they weren't 0-4 during that stretch.  It started with them totally flat in Jacksonville on both sides of the ball.  They probably should have lost to the bottom-feeder Giants and were bailed-out by a no-call PI in the endzone.  They were unable to stop probably the worst offense in the NFL and lost to the pathetic Patriots.  The game that supposedly saw us get back on track?  We failed to put the Bucs away, and honestly should have lost on a Hail Mary.

To my eye, it was last Halloween (second half against the Green Bay Packers) that everything started sliding backwards.  Not exactly sure why, but I know I'm not the only one who noticed a change in the Bills after that game.  We've heard excuses about UCL joints, snow, Damar Hamlin, Josh Allen's girlfriend, etc.  Since that point, we've played 19 games (including the postseason).  That's a pretty good sample size.  The only time we've looked good (on both sides of the ball) for a stretch longer than 2-3 quarters was during Weeks 2-4 this season.  Raiders, Commanders, Dolphins.  The rest of the time, we've either:

Lots of people want to call B.S. on the Joe Burrow injury excuse.  But anyone who watched them play this year could tell he wasn't right the first handful of games.  And they can tell he looks way different now. 

Everything about the last full season of play tells me that Cincinnati is the far superior team.   

Bengals have had their struggles too. Perhaps the Bills have been somewhat overrated. Maybe the Bengals were / are too. “ Should “ have lost on a Hail Mary ? Please . Very few of those are caught for a win. Imagine saying the Bills should have won on a Hail Mary. Sounds absurd. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Why is it ridiculous for a fan to think the Bills may lose. Bad matchups are a real thing. Fast WR against our banged up defense is a real thing. Buffalo hasn't played ver good QBs lately and lost to a couple of them them (almost 3) that's a real thing.  Maybe I'm wrong but I'd say "realistic" would be a good word to use. The Bills themselves even say that they haven't been playing their best. Just my thoughts. 

Agreed.  Bengals were so confident the 1st game that they accepted the kickoff after winning coin toss which rarely happens in current NFL.  I think it was combo of picking on a shaky Tre White and exploiting our back 7’s size/speed/physicality mismatch with their skill players.  Goods news is Hurst is gone and our secondary is better than last year.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Sure, it could .. maybe people who have some strange doom complex can provide more detail as to why they think this will happen … or they can just make themselves feel better by posting negativity, absent explanation, about their team.  

I actually wouldn’t pick us to win this game if I had to make a choice.   I absolutely think we can, but we haven’t shown anything in terms of player execution, consistency and coaching this year, or against this team, that makes me confident in that.  

…but I’m not going to plaster social media with “this might get ugly” posts so that I can cope better.   This team deserves better than that and if they want to be taken seriously, will come out and win Sunday Night. 

I don't disagree, but it is a message board where opinions and fluid talk rule the day.  

At the same time I'm not so sure that it's worth getting all defensive about.  🙂 

Life's too short, eh.  

Contrary to what the "realist" Bills fans would have you believe, the Bills are not the 2008 Lions and the the Bengals are not the 1999 Rams.  These are 2 good teams and it is crazy to think that there are fans proclaiming that the Bills will be lucky to escape without being blown out.  Toughen up and enjoy the fact that you get to cheer for one of the best teams in the NFL.  Did all of you realists dress up as Eeyore for Halloween?

eeyore.webp

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Outside of Josh Allen the Bills just aren’t a very talented team…when they run up against a team with another great QB and a talented roster, they will not be able to compete unless Josh performs miracle work, which is not impossible.  See Jacksonville game, although Lawrence of course is not yet at the same level as Burrow or Allen.

• Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed.  Bengals were so confident the 1st game that they accepted the kickoff after winning coin toss which rarely happens in current NFL.  I think it was combo of picking on a shaky Tre White and exploiting our back 7’s size/speed/physicality mismatch with their skill players.  Goods news is Hurst is gone and our secondary is better than last year.  

OMG they took the football after winning the toss ? Get out of here , I don’t believe it. That’s it then , the games over ! It may as well not even be played! What a slap in the face that is , you know - trying to score first ? No one even does that anymore. Man o man, the Bills are cooked in this one folks. Don’t bother watching, better off to get a jump on your online Christmas shopping . Why waste time watching your Bills get blown out by an obviously superior opponent? 

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Outside of Josh Allen the Bills just aren’t a very talented team…when they run up against a team with another great QB and a talented roster, they will not be able to compete unless Josh performs miracle work, which is not impossible.  See Jacksonville game, although Lawrence of course is not yet at the same level as Burrow or Allen.

So you think the Bills looked at their best vs JAX ? I don’t , and thought they were capable of much more. Even - wait for it - winning the game ! 

• Like (+1) 1

Forgive me for bringing this up, but what if they take us to the woodshed again?  (they did, stop it.  they did)

Whenever anyone was worried about the Chiefs those concerns were usually assuaged by the Bills punching them in the nose the next time around, and usually at their house...because that is the only place those two teams are allowed to play per NFL rules (I kid, I kid.  if your brother works in the NFL scheduling office don't go crying to him).

Sure, just try and get at them the next time around, but if you are one of the best teams in the conference and then there is a team you just can't seem to upend...whoa, Nelly.  🦟*

(* Honestly, I couldn't think of any reason to use the mosquito emoji and as it was unlikely it would ever get used here,  ever, so what the heck I thought it deserved at least one click and show) 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

49 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Geez a McD Avatar tells me why you posted that.  Will the Bills lose?  Maybe, maybe not.  The thread is "We're Overhyping the Bengals", which is 100% correct. 

The excuses never end from McD apologists (yes I said it). 

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This is the case with many of the posters here who just want an excuse if the Bills lose and have many here thinking the Bills are playing the most complete team in the NFL.  The same will be said when the Bills play the Chiefs, Eagles, Dallas & LA, explaining one of the following:

• that their opponents just found their groove,
  • WR's too fast
  • QB's in the zone
  • bad matchup
  • Bills emotionally drained...... 

The Bengals D has been bad and they have 1.5 quality wins (SF and maybe Seattle who they put up all of 17 points on and twice were inside the 10 yard line the last 3 minutes and couldn't score).

The defeatist attitude is ridiculous.  

posters are just having a discussion.  if it's not something you agree with, you start with this nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Geez a McD Avatar tells me why you posted that.  Will the Bills lose?  Maybe, maybe not.  The thread is "We're Overhyping the Bengals", which is 100% correct. 

The excuses never end from McD apologists (yes I said it)

and who is making excuses?  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

So you think the Bills looked at their best vs JAX ? I don’t , and thought they were capable of much more. Even - wait for it - winning the game ! 

Let me know when the Bills actually beat Jacksonville. They were never really in the game.

13 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The Bengals have shown each of the last two seasons that they are very dangerous, and they have proven to be an especially difficult matchup for the Bills. That's not really hype. That's just results. And now Burrow is apparently healthy, and they are clicking. It's a really tough matchup for sure. No shame in admitting as much. 

I agree with this.  The NFL is all about matchups.  We match up poorly against the Bengals while say, against the Chiefs, I think we're more competitive.

It's the same reason why we've struggled to put away the Jets the last several years.  They aren't the best team in the league by a long shot, but they give the Bills fits because they are physical and have the personnel to give Allen trouble.  I view the Bengals similarly.

24 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

OMG they took the football after winning the toss ? Get out of here , I don’t believe it. That’s it then , the games over ! It may as well not even be played! What a slap in the face that is , you know - trying to score first ? No one even does that anymore. Man o man, the Bills are cooked in this one folks. Don’t bother watching, better off to get a jump on your online Christmas shopping . Why waste time watching your Bills get blown out by an obviously superior opponent? 

So you’re saying they didn’t manhandle us for 5 quarters especially their offense vs our defense?  Not saying the Bills can’t win on sunday night but you’ve offered up no reasons why it will be different than last year.  

I don't know, the last 1 game + 1 Qtr that I've seen the Bills play the Bengals,  Buffalo did not stop Burrow, the WR's, the TE, Joe Mixon, or anyone else.  And The Bills did not score much at all.  So I don't think we are overrating the Bengals but hopefully I'll change my mind after this game.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, teef said:

posters are just having a discussion.  if it's not something you agree with, you start with this nonsense.

and who is making excuses?  

There are people who make excuses all the time and vs. Cincy, now it is that they are a way better team and that the Bills will lose.

The excuses write themselves and actually a lot are exactly what was written leading into the Miami game.

As a Bills fan and optimist I just don't think they fly.  

I expect a similar game to the Miami one, but closer, and what I want to see is the Bills offense not take their foot off the pedal (and the defense make a play or two to flip the field).

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

There are people who make excuses all the time and vs. Cincy, now it is that they are a way better team and that the Bills will lose.

The excuses write themselves and actually a lot are exactly what was written leading into the Miami game.

I expect a similar game to the Miami one, but closer, and what I want to see is the Bills offense not take their foot off the pedal (and the defense make a play or two to flip the field).

There isn't a bigger lie in on the internet and there are trillions and trillions and trillions of statements on the the world wide web....this is #1.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

McD is a frustrating coach. He and his staff have shown several times in his tenure that they can plan really well for a team and soundly defeat them in big games (The Miami game this year, the Pats playoff game, KC game last year and a few of the other high profile night games etc). But just as equally McD has embarrassed us with statement losses in big games where the team has looked completely unprepared and unmotivated (The Cincy playoff game being the absolute worst). So what are we to expect this time around? I had a bad feeling at the start of the Cincy game last year where Hamlin was injured. Before the injury the Bengals seemed to be moving at will against us. They continued this without missing a beat in the playoff game and we had no answers. I really hope that McD has cooked up something different for this weekend, because I cannot watch a third version of a beatdown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

So you’re saying they didn’t manhandle us for 5 quarters especially their offense vs our defense?  Not saying the Bills can’t win on sunday night but you’ve offered up no reasons why it will be different than last year.  

The Bengals offense has been MUCH worse this year compared to last year. Yea I know Joe was injured, but hes not the first QB to have an injury. He was playing bottom-tier football. Negative EPA-per-play football!

Maybe the SF game was the spark they needed and they will go on to dominate the rest of the way. But they also showed flashes of being "back" against the Ravens and Cardinals and then reverted to bad play again. Im just not ready to say theyve righted the ship based on one game. Many teams can ball out for one game and then play bad the next. Look at us against Miami and then what followed.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There isn't a bigger lie in on the internet and there are trillions and trillions and trillions of statements on the the world wide web....this is #1.

What are you on?  Find me a single post where I've said the Bills lose.  The only thing I do bang on is that I think McD is the one overrated here and is to be blamed for many of the shortcomings.

Royale with Cheese you have some homework to do (and yes oldmanfan will bring up the 300 yard comment from 5 years ago) and find me where I was not optimistic. 

I’m going to be fine if we lose and let the Bengals score on every drive because I expect it.  Roll your eyes all you want at that I’ve seen this defense before under McD against elite offenses on the road - but this one is missing the Defensive player of the year, Tre White, and Matt Milano.  

What was the last elite offense we beat on the road before Von arrived?  You can’t name any.   

But if we put up 45 points I’ll be totally fine if we lose.  

I want the offense to make a big statement on the road against this defense.  

Just score.  Figure out that defense.   

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Agree 1

The NFL perhaps more than any other sport is a matchup league. Not only scheme wise, but also WHEN you play a team. 

The Bengals are a good example. Often struggle early and then hit a groove where they are the hottest team in the league. They are in that streak right now.

And as much as people will disagree because of the narrative around them...Denver is in a streak of playing better football the last 3 weeks as well. The defense is figuring things out. They aren't going to be the same easy win team that Miami faced early in the season.  

6 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

McD is a frustrating coach. He and his staff have shown several times in his tenure that they can plan really well for a team and soundly defeat them in big games (The Miami game this year, the Pats playoff game, KC game last year and a few of the other high profile night games etc). But just as equally McD has embarrassed us with statement losses in big games where the team has looked completely unprepared and unmotivated (The Cincy playoff game being the absolute worst). So what are we to expect this time around? I had a bad feeling at the start of the Cincy game last year where Hamlin was injured. Before the injury the Bengals seemed to be moving at will against us. They continued this without missing a beat in the playoff game and we had no answers. I really hope that McD has cooked up something different for this weekend, because I cannot watch a third version of a beatdown.

I agree, but the Pats playoff game frankly there was no reason the Bills shouldn't have steamrolled them as they did 2 weeks prior.  This was the windstorm year and the Bills were a much superior team.  Yes it was a perfect game, and this often is the issue, when all is going well, this team looks unstoppable. 

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I’m going to be fine if we lose and let the Bengals score on every drive because I expect it.  Roll your eyes all you want at that I’ve seen this defense before under McD against elite offenses on the road - but this one is missing the Defensive player of the year, Tre White, and Matt Milano.  

What was the last elite offense we beat on the road before Von arrived?  You can’t name any.   

But if we put up 45 points I’ll be totally fine if we lose.  

I want the offense to make a big statement on the road against this defense.  

Just score.  Figure out that defense.   

We lose and we are on the outside looking in almost when it comes to the playoffs. We are sitting 5th and that isnt pretty. 

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We lose and we are on the outside looking in almost when it comes to the playoffs. We are sitting 5th and that isnt pretty. 

That's okay for some as you read through these threads and this is what drives me nuts.  We should expect a win, a solid gameplan and everyone motivated.

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What are you on?  Find me a single post where I've said the Bills lose.  The only thing I do bang on is that I think McD is the one overrated here and is to be blamed for many of the shortcomings.

Royale with Cheese you have some homework to do (and yes oldmanfan will bring up the 300 yard comment from 5 years ago) and find me where I was not optimistic. 

Geezus dude.  You set unrealistic expectations and when the Bills don't meet them (you called one of your own threads an overreaction thread), you focus only on that and will argue pages with anyone who disagrees.

Bills win but:

• We didn't score enough points even though we had a lot of yards
  • We didn't have enough yards
  • We didn't win by enough
  • We won by enough BUT that team wasn't good.
  • Even though we didn't give up a lot of points, we gave up too many yards.

You don't just bang on McD, you're obsessed with hating him.  You feel McDermott will never be good enough to win a Super Bowl...is that being optimistic or pessimistic?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The Bills are capable of playing much better. They were hardly at their best that day. The game at CIN was 7-3 , no? The Bills moved the ball well on their one possession and just missed a first down that would have put them in prime position to score. Lots of folks act like you could pencil in the entire remainder of that game , which is a fools errand. Are most NFL rematch games between two opponents exactly the same as the last meeting ? Of course not. The Bills were outclassed and outcoached in every way in the playoff game - there’s no denying that. Maybe the Bills are doomed to replicate that awful performance, but I doubt it. The Bills and Bengals ( current versions) hardly have a long history or track record of this. It was literally one very bad game. Not that I need to offer up any reason why one single game would be a referendum on an entire franchise and coaching staff - it’s not. I know we didn’t see the best from the Bills that day - we’ve seen them perform much better vs good NFL teams. They showed some good things in their last game as far as getting their offensive concept together. I’m not guaranteeing they win the game; far from it actually. However I don’t see any reason why they would have virtually no chance , as so many on this board seem to believe. You’d think it was the 70’s Dolphins vs the 70’s Bills or something. 

13 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

With a long way to go , I would add. This isn’t week fifteen. There’s a LOT of football to be played. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

so...because posters aren't confident in a win they're making excuses.  i predict the bills to win far more than not the last few seasons, but i don't think that's the case for this game.  they certainly can win, but i'm not confident.  how is that making excuses?

24 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Bills are capable of playing much better. They were hardly at their best that day. The game at CIN was 7-3 , no? The Bills moved the ball well on their one possession and just missed a first down that would have put them in prime position to score. Lots of folks act like you could pencil in the entire remainder of that game , which is a fools errand. Are most NFL rematch games between two opponents exactly the same as the last meeting ? Of course not. The Bills were outclassed and outcoached in every way in the playoff game - there’s no denying that. Maybe the Bills are doomed to replicate that awful performance, but I doubt it. The Bills and Bengals ( current versions) hardly have a long history or track record of this. It was literally one very bad game. Not that I need to offer up any reason why one single game would be a referendum on an entire franchise and coaching staff - it’s not. I know we didn’t see the best from the Bills that day - we’ve seen them perform much better vs good NFL teams. They showed some good things in their last game as far as getting their offensive concept together. I’m not guaranteeing they win the game; far from it actually. However I don’t see any reason why they would have virtually no chance , as so many on this board seem to believe. You’d think it was the 70’s Dolphins vs the 70’s Bills or something. 

With a long way to go , I would add. This isn’t week fifteen. There’s a LOT of football to be played. 

Fair enough, but look at our schedule coming up.  This gauntlet could, realistically, end our season quickly

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.