If the Bills defense is healthy, they're 6-1 right now

Simon

If D Jones, Milano and Tre White are on the field, I think they beat both Jacksonville and New England.

I don't know if they can find a way to overcome a second straight season of having their defense worse than decimated, but I also don't want to pretend they did a suck-ass job of putting together a roster that can win in this league. Because if they had the roster right now that they had at the beginning of the year, teams would absolutely fear them, and rightly so.

I realize that's ifs and buts; however, it does speak to the credible job the coaching staff and front office did in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 16

I think we all knew deep down that the season was essentially over in terms of winning it all after the first five minutes in Jacksonville. Still I think they have enough good players to put up some performances here forward worthy of convincing ourselves they still have a shot at the Lombardi. Similar to ‘21 after Tre went down and ‘22 after Von went down. 

I do agree with this.

You can tell the way we planned our season was to play good defense and just work on taking what the defense gives. 

Unfortunately weve lost half our defense and huge positions....but guess what? Not seeing any adjustments offensively to make up for the lack of defense.

Nice job staff...

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

This is true.   KC has won a bunch of rock fights with a healthy defense and that's where they are sitting.  

We just don't seem to have their luck.  

they have 3 victories due to referee interference.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Simon said:

If D Jones, Milano and Tre White are on the field, I think they beat both Jacksonville and New England.

I don't know if they can find a way to overcome a second straight season of having their defense worse than decimated, but I also don't want to pretend they did a suck-ass job of putting together a roster that can win in this league. Because if they had the roster right now that they had at the beginning of the year, teams would absolutely fear them, and rightly so.

I realize that's ifs and buts; however, it does speak to the credible job the coaching staff and front office did in the offseason.

All of this is moot if our offense looks like a disorganized mess. The whole point of the season is to win a Super Bowl, and so long as our offense looks as bad as it has, we have little chance in the playoffs beyond some wild card win. Our offense is broken and so long as McD continues to defend Dorsey, it will continue to be broken.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Simon said:

Plus Rousseau was missing in one of the losses and Oliver in another. So basically four top-shelf defenders have been out for either the full game or most of the game in each of their recent losses. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

5-2. I think that the Jags game would have still been a loss.

If you don't think that Daquan, Rousseau, Milano and Tre White are worth one single score, I'll heartily disagree with you there.

8 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Our offense is broken and so long as McD continues to defend Dorsey, it will continue to be broken.

I don't think it's broken, just a little out of synch right now.

Cleaning up some of the execution errors we've been seeing the last couple weeks, particularly on 3rd downs, would make a significant difference, imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Simon said:

How was their defense worse than decimated last season?

You're right of course.

I think a lot of us look at the offense though, because if the offense were playing better (fewer dumb-ass turnovers, someone besides Diggs stepping up) we would also be 6-1

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Plus Rousseau was missing in one of the losses and Oliver in another. So basically four top-shelf defenders have been out for either the full game or most of the game in each of their recent losses. 

This was at HOME against the Bengals in the playoffs WITH Milano and WITH Tre White and WITH Rousseau. Would Von in October 2023 have helped?

Nope. Our offense was pathetic and still will be pathetic with Dorsey as our OC. I just don't understand why you disagree with my previous statement. 

"On the other side, the Bills didn't manage a first down until the second quarter. Cincinnati's defensive line had its way, keeping Josh Allen under pressure while the secondary limited the Bills' big-play potential. The 10 points marked Buffalo's lowest total of the season. The Bills remain one of the NFL's most complete teams, but their difficulty getting out of the AFC is a storyline that's becoming difficult to ignore after another disappointing finish."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/bills-bengals-live-score-highlights-playoffs/unkfqo04nptoxspzbhbtwjtc

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree w/ this.

Part of winning a title is overcoming injuries, and every team has them. But we got hit particularly hard on D.

Still, it's why I'm not giving up on the idea of a title this year.  It would be such a huge boost if we still make the playoffs, and Milano & Jones can make it back.

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This was at HOME against the Bengals in the playoffs WITH Milano and WITH Tre White. Would Von in October 2023 have helped?

Nope. Our offense was pathetic and still will be pathetic with Dorsey as our OC. I just don't understand why you disagree with my previous statement. 

"On the other side, the Bills didn't manage a first down until the second quarter. Cincinnati's defensive line had its way, keeping Josh Allen under pressure while the secondary limited the Bills' big-play potential. The 10 points marked Buffalo's lowest total of the season. The Bills remain one of the NFL's most complete teams, but their difficulty getting out of the AFC is a storyline that's becoming difficult to ignore after another disappointing finish."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/bills-bengals-live-score-highlights-playoffs/unkfqo04nptoxspzbhbtwjtc

Thank you for a wonderful article about last year. We are currently talking about this year though.

Please find another thread to continue your Dorsey crusade and discussion of last year, it doesn't fit in this one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't think it's broken, just a little out of synch right now.

Cleaning up some of the execution errors we've been seeing the last couple weeks, particularly on 3rd downs, would make a significant difference, imo.

I don't know... the problems against Cinci in the playoffs have plagued them against the Giants and against the Patriots, two of the worst teams this season going in. I want to share your optimism WRT the cleaning up process, but I've seen this movie before and we have new players like Kincaid, Torrence and Sherfield.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I do agree with this.

You can tell the way we planned our season was to play good defense and just work on taking what the defense gives. 

Unfortunately weve lost half our defense and huge positions....but guess what? Not seeing any adjustments offensively to make up for the lack of defense.

Nice job staff...

I think they actually are. 

They have seemed to lean more into a ball control philosophy at points. It would seem to me the way they can make up for lack of defense is to limit defensive time on the field.

My problem has been more of the lack of success when adjusting the DEFENSE to help cover up the losses. Just last week, NE was down their 2 best pass rushers and a very very talented young CB...but they got good pressure and covered well. Why can they do it and we don't? Adjustments.

One would think our head coach who has run defenses the majority of his career could scheme up ways to cover for the missing talent. 

The offense has issues but I agree we would most likely be 6-1 or at least 5-2 with a fully healthy D

Unfortunately every team needs to have depth and coaches who can scheme a team to play better when the inury bug hits.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This was at HOME against the Bengals in the playoffs WITH Milano and WITH Tre White and WITH Rousseau. Would Von in October 2023 have helped?

As I've stated before, DaQuon Jones is the straw that stirs the drink on that D. His absence from the Bengals game killed them. He's arguably their most crucial defensive player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

5-2. I think that the Jags game would have still been a loss.

No way French!  It was 11-7 by the 4th and didn't start really moving the ball until we were down to Vickers playing edge.

We were missing Miller, Floyd, Jones, Milano, Benford and Rousseau.  Not to mention White and Shaq Lawson.

If the offense has its act together, we're 7-0.

I agree that the injuries on D have been devastating, but the D has done enough to win every game this year. Even when the opposing team scored a lot, our offense should be able to 1) outscore them, or 2) at least sustain enough drives to keep the opposing offense off the field for a while.

Given the injuries on D, I'm quite impressed by its performance.

Given that there are very few injuries to key players on offense, I'm quite disappointed in its performance.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

So starting out missing Tre, and ending up missing Von?

There was a hell of a lot more to it than that.

And again, that is last year; I'm more interested in this year.

Just now, Simon said:

There was a hell of a lot more to it than that.

And again, that is last year; I'm more interested in this year.

Hyde of course, and then at the end of the season Damar Hamlin who had been our #2 safety all season.  Missing Daquan Jones from the Bengals game hurt.

This year there's no question we're on fumes.  Last season I thought Settle was maybe playing hampered with a calf injury.  This season he just looks "lost in space"

If Allen didn't play like garbage against the Jets and Pats they are 6-1 

Team game. Lots of blame to go around. 

We should expect that Allen can and should play better.

The defense probably not barring a trade. The only hope on defense is that Oliver and Miller can get healthy and Williams can learn to play LB quickly. And that still leaves them decimated. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

As I've stated before, DaQuon Jones is the straw that stirs the drink on that D. His absence from the Bengals game killed them. He's arguably their most crucial defensive player. 

It's really more that it's just an area of weakness that their undersized, pass-centric defense has a hard time getting over when they put trash in there at DT1T.    Jones game has been elevated by the style of defense.   When he was a plugger in TN he wasn't very impactful.   As I've said for years.......this defense funnels action/opportunity into the middle and that's why Edmunds' play was not acceptable considering his opportunities.   I think the Bills could find another Jones.......unfortunately the guys they have scouted and acquired have been guys who just won't do the work.   Watch them go out of their way to chase DJ Reader again this offseason.   That was the one that got away..........they were willing to pay him even when they were stuck in the middle of Lotulelei's gawdawful contract.   

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL is all about team depth at all levels and I thought the Bills had done a great job on building depth but the injuries just like last year have been so numerous and impactful. In many cases (Milano, Trey) they are the worse case scenario.  Its always seems weird to me that that teams arent allowed more people on their active rosters or practice squads for situations like this or that there just aren't people who are floating around in free agency that can fill in adequately. Unlike other sports, once a person steps away from NFL football for even a few months, they don't seem to be able to ever get back to the same skill level they were at before. Therefore I guess the only solution is to make a trade and bring someone in.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I'm not even sure you need to include White in there, but Jones, Milano and this past week Oliver.  Read many posts that injuries are no excuse, but how many teams have lost probably their 4 best defensive players (including Oliver this past week)  That's more uncommon.  Article yesterday said Bills lead the league in percentage of players on IR and that's not including Knox if he goes there.

Those 3 were the heart & should of this Defense & you can have others come into their positions but you can't replace their play & presence on the field orin the lock room . 

All seemed to be going perfect up until they were lost one can only hope they get it figured out because if they don't this could be the first time since McD & company has been here that they won't make it to the play offs .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.