Bills @ Patriots Post game thread

BuffaloBill

11 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

He was okay in the 1st half.  The D created only one 3 & out and allowed the Pats to flip the field with a non scoring but time consuming 2nd quarter drive. 

But the point is that EVERY elite QB and their offense will have an off half.  The truly elite like Allen followup a lackluster 1st half with a phenomenal 2nd half and Allen did exactly that.

Twice in the 2nd half the D was beyond inept:

*  After the Bills scored a TD in the 3rd quarter to cut the NE lead to 3 the Bills D should have risen up and snuffed the Pats offense out.  Instead they allowed them to go on a 6 minute plus FG drive.  Then when the Bills finally took a 3 point lead at the 2 minute mark the D didn't just allow NE to go on a drive to tie the game and force OT they allowed them to score the winning TD.  That is unacceptable given how Bean/McD have structured the Bills.

Ok, but the D has 4 key starters out; 5, if you count Miller. It would be nice if they could rely on the offense to help them a little. Especially since it’s supposed to be one of the best in the league led by an “elite” QB. Instead they come out flat as a pancake and force the team to play from behind all day. Do you think Jones would look a little different if he was playing from behind?

Edited by vincec
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But the point is that EVERY elite QB and their offense will have an off half.  The truly elite like Allen followup a lackluster 1st half with a phenomenal 2nd half and Allen did exactly that.

Yes. Every QB has one of those games ...

But it's been 3 games in a rowhnow with Josh l. Not good

11 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Actually great QB's and their offenses will sometimes struggle for a half.  The most memorable recent example was the 2nd half Chiefs O against the Bengals in the AFC championship game.   But today the Bills O and Allen put an offensive clinic on in the 2nd half with the exception of the Knox drop.

But I think you have to put it in proper perspective. The Bills offense has struggled for three straight games. That's just not going to win you a lot of games especially with a depleted defense. 

6 minutes ago, Success said:

It was one of JA's few mistakes - but the pick on the 1st drive just set the tone for the whole game..

It gave the Pats such a boost.  And it took us so long to get in rhythm after that.

But that is the kind of pick that tells me the defense is reading the play as well as the offense.  And is why I say Dorsey’s offense - the routes, the formations, the play calls, the blocking gaps - all become too predictable.  He relies on perfect execution.  That gets you a lot of stalled drives.  The best plays are when they go off script, and 4th quarter when Josh says everyone run around I’ll find you.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, vincec said:

Ok, but the D has 4 key starters out; 5, if you count Miller. It would be nice if they could rely on the offense to help them a little. Especially since it’s supposed to be one of the best in the league led by an “elite” QB. Instead they come out flat as a pancake and force the team to play from behind all day. Do you think Jones would look a little different if he was playing from behind?

In that game we punted 1 time turned over the ball on downs 1 time and had 1 INT. The Patriots punted 2 times and had a fumble, we also technically had a fumble but I really don't care about a last 5 seconds YOLO play.

Other than that we ended every drive kicking FGs or with TDs, and honestly while it might have been much we might have been in FG range on the turnover on downs.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

In that game we punted 1 time turned over the ball on downs 1 time and had 1 INT. The Patriots punted 2 times and had a fumble, we also technically had a fumble but I really don't care about a last 5 seconds YOLO play.

Other than that we ended every drive kicking FGs or with TDs, and honestly while it might have been much we might have been in FG range on the turnover on downs.

They had 3 points at halftime. So the D is playing from behind the entire game.

In last weeks media sessions, Dorsey was questioned about the decision to go shotgun on 2nd and inches when the tush push....as many times as it was going to be needed, was the obvious common sense thing to do.  This week, he figured that out and used common sense in all of those situations.  

Now, it's time for the media to start building up steam on the designed Allen runs.  It's a glaring omission from the offense and it is hold the team back when teams don't have to respect the fact that Allen taking off for 40 yards any at any time is no longer an option.  You can't run the same offense you have always run and take away the part that made the offense successful.  Having the media push this and getting Allen back to carrying the ball at least 5 times a game would be the best thing for this offense.  I guarantee you that if you burn a couple teams with Allen's legs again, other passing concepts will all of a sudden be much better.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills are no longer an Excellent team.

The Bills are no longer a VG team.

The Bills  MAY  be a good team.

I am fearful, after these last horrid ly played games, they are average… not much better than any of the trash we saw throughout the entire Millennium- pre McClapper.

If they do nada this year, EVERYONE has to go, starting with Dorsey, Knox, Davis,etc.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

I was not impressed with our defensive play on the edges - gave up too much YAC.

Jones makes this d-line go. When he is out they have to bring more guys into the box to counter the run or put Dodson on the field which signals time for play action and passes in the middle being wide open.

I loved picking up DaQuan Jones but his age concerned me. We do need a young impact 1-tech to start grooming for his role. All good defenses have that 1-tech or nose that demands the double teams. That ain't Tim Settle when Jones goes down.

Allen was borderline awful this game with the accuracy.

Starting with that first telegraphed INT and all the passes that sailed on him. It was like watching 2018 Allen before he worked on his mechanics. Maybe he is hurt worse than we know...dunno.

I am over Knox and his penchant for having drops and fumbles at critical moments too.

What can I say about the officiating crew. Horribly tilted the field for NE with bizarre calls -  Offside on a G, no call for Diggs getting mugged, and Elam gets a key phantom call when he jammed a receiver at the line and had no contact after....

Just too many flags this whole game most were head scratchers.

We have been called a few times on offensive pass interference which is usually rare.

When we run the rub as all teams do, but instead of our wide receivers being coached to continue running like they had a real route they do some bush league obstruction and acting throwing their hands up in mock innocence just begging for a flag.

In this league you only need to get in the way and slow down a bit for DBs to have to reroute and lose a step and to create a window. You don't have to mug the guy.

Edited by WideNine

2 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

I am fearful, after these last horrid ly played games, they are average… not much better than any of the trash we saw throughout the entire Millennium- pre McClapper.

If they do nada this year, EVERYONE has to go, starting with Dorsey, Knox, Davis,etc.

Average team is probably accurate. Without injuries maybe a good team. 

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

He was okay in the 1st half.  The D created only one 3 & out and allowed the Pats to flip the field with a non scoring but time consuming 2nd quarter drive. 

Twice in the 2nd half the D was beyond inept:

*  After the Bills scored a TD in the 3rd quarter to cut the NE lead to 3 the Bills D should have risen up and snuffed the Pats offense out.  Instead they allowed them to go on a 6 minute plus FG drive.  Then when the Bills finally took a 3 point lead at the 2 minute mark the D didn't just allow NE to go on a drive to tie the game and force OT they allowed them to score the winning TD.  That is unacceptable given how Bean/McD have structured the Bills.

Every elite QB and offense will have an off half? Maybe once every so often. The offense has been dire for all but two or three quarters out of the last three games.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, sven233 said:

In last weeks media sessions, Dorsey was questioned about the decision to go shotgun on 2nd and inches when the tush push....as many times as it was going to be needed, was the obvious common sense thing to do.  This week, he figured that out and used common sense in all of those situations.  

Now, it's time for the media to start building up steam on the designed Allen runs.  It's a glaring omission from the offense and it is hold the team back when teams don't have to respect the fact that Allen taking off for 40 yards any at any time is no longer an option.  You can't run the same offense you have always run and take away the part that made the offense successful.  Having the media push this and getting Allen back to carrying the ball at least 5 times a game would be the best thing for this offense.  I guarantee you that if you burn a couple teams with Allen's legs again, other passing concepts will all of a sudden be much better.

Except his shoulder is banged up. It's hurting his consistency and would only get worse if you start running him intentionally. That's the conundrum with Allen. Not running takes away his superpower, but running damages what he needs to be able to consistently do, which is make accurate throws.

I predicted before the season that the Bills could have struggles because Beanne next to nothing to add new play makers to our offence that struggled last year.  Some of the Beane fanboys laughed,  this team has no one outside of Diggs who gets separation on a consistent basis. The drives are no longer quick strike,  and our defence is just not good enough to win these close tight games.  The Bills are lucky that are not 3-4 right now,  had the refs called holding in the end zone against the Giants they could lose that game.  Beane seems content to be competitive and just keep making big money

Massive mistake by Pegula giving both McDermott and Beanne extensions.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

Except his shoulder is banged up. It's hurting his consistency and would only get worse if you start running him intentionally. That's the conundrum with Allen. Not running takes away his superpower, but running damages what he needs to be able to consistently do, which is make accurate throws.

He’s been hurt more by standing in the pocket. Running isn’t the reason he was injured.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, vincec said:

They had 3 points at halftime. So the D is playing from behind the entire game.

They weren't punching it into the endzone in the first half, also instead of having 6 from the second FG the ball spontaneously became possessed and returned to it's own planet or something. Also checks notes the Patriots have the ranked 7th redzone defense....it's like the one thing they ***** do.

The team did move the ball all game, a lot of the drives for both teams were long and for them to just end up with a FG attempt, didn't seem like the offenses were succeeding much but they still technically were.

48 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Bench or trade Knox and get rid of this ridiculous 12 personnel bull####. It’s not working and Knox sucks. Make Kinkaid the TE and go back to playing an offense from this century.

Every team runs 12 personnel.

The reason the Bills are running more of it is because they believe that Knox and Kincaid need to both be on the field.

That is debatable I guess. The other reason is to give additional pass pro help to Brown and our OL to better protect Allen.

How effective that has been can be debated too as pass pro was not very good this game.

Edited by WideNine

2 minutes ago, WMDman said:

We can chalk this loss up to my fault 

the bills are 0-3 when I watch in person.

I vow to never go to a game again

You need a refund dude.

That was brutal, but probably worse for fans that crossed the pond to watch that s*** show in London.

25 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

How’s that old saying go…? “Good teams find a way to win.” They haven’t been a good team since the trip overseas.

4 minutes ago, WMDman said:

We can chalk this loss up to my fault 

the bills are 0-3 when I watch in person.

I vow to never go to a game again

I took my dog for a long walk right before each game during the 3 game winning streak, never had the time the last 3 though. Maybe that’s why the O is struggling. 

3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Yea, Bills deserved to lose based on their play, but if the refs don’t pick up that flag then we probably win.

Was the center declared an eligible receiver, lol. Is that even allowed?

Went to my DVR after the game and watched it. It was very, very close. Not sure how they picked up a flag though without stopping for an actual video review. Only thing I figure is that the refs at NFL HQ in NY reviewed it, then called down to the crew on the field and told them it was too close to call....but is that even allowed to happen? I know in some previous games, announcers have alluded to the fact that "the NFL guys in NY looked at it" when the situation was the same...no stoppage in play was done for the refs on the field to go look at it. Oh well, SCREWED AGAIN! LOL

8 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Defense is just not good with all the injuries and Ken Dorsey has effectively neutered Josh with his garbage playcalling. 

At some point some fans will need to actually come to terms with Allen simply playing poorly.

Making bad choices where to go with the ball, staring down receivers and throwing INTs, dirting easy passes, and air mailing passes out of bounds or overthrowing receivers that are wide open down field.

It's not all Allen and Dorsey can do a better job with some situational calls and personnel packages and some players have to execute better.

However when players are schemed open and Allen just can't hit those passes that is not on your OC or the plays called 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.