Kaiir Elam is a liability any time he is on the field

Einstein

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

It was his first game playing this year give him a break. If he continues looking bad next week with no improvement.. then worry.. mind you shocked the Bills didn’t go after JC JAckson.. pats got him for practically nothing. 

I mean, his play is the same reason he was 3rd on the depth chart.  He is doing the same in practice.  It's not like this guy is just some UDFA or a depth chart signing. He was a first round pick.  Played last season in a few games, did a decent job, came back this season and stunk the joint up in camp, practice, and his first game.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, I agree.  Elam was getting torched and having his ankles busted.  Slow to react to route changes.  I don't get it.  He played last season and stuck to people like glue.  He made mistakes sure, but he stuck to them like glue.  Today he was 5 yards off every time a receiver stop for a curl/comeback/whatever.

Confidence. Does wonders for a player and he’s not playing with any. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Don’t want to put him to the field - he’s gonna be asked to play a ton of zone coverage there. You always want your best man guy to the boundary. To me it looks like he doesn’t have a wholistic understanding of the defense. Multiple times we were in 2 man today and he jump inside leverage quick on the receiver stem and then gets beat outside. Like dude… you got help inside and over top so stay your butt outside and underneath…

Yep and Hyde was in his ear repeatedly about it, all game.  Kid has not put in the study work and it showed yesterday.  Really disappointing.

26 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

That he got benched for a practice squad player late in this one tells me they're trading for a corner.

Gotta hope so. But tbh, I don’t think Beane will sacrifice future draft picks, at least not high round ones, for a great corner (like Surtain). If anything it will only be for some low level depth player who would be a serviceable starter, IMO

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yep and Hyde was in his ear repeatedly about it, all game.  Kid has not put in the study work and it showed yesterday.  Really disappointing.

Not sure but something is off... wonder if it is millenial gen y syndrome... so used to being handed everything that there first real adversity they fall apart... time to grow up Elam.

• Eyeroll 1

18 hours ago, Beast said:

I thought they picked on Jackson in the 1st half and Elam in the 2nd.

Regardless, we are hurting at Corner and Linebacker and our offense stunk up the United Kingdom. Our defense had only given up 11 through 3 quarters. They just ran out of gas late.

The Defense could not get off the field.  Yeah the O stunk for much of the game---but they were sitting on the sidelines for 2/3 of it.  When they finally heated up in the 4th Q, the D gave up back to back TD drives. 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

The Defense could not get off the field.  Yeah the O stunk for much of the game---but they were sitting on the sidelines for 2/3 of it.  When they finally heated up in the 4th Q, the D gave up back to back TD drives. 

The D was gassed. Did you see Epenesa on the sidelines sucking oxygen? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

#93 Vickers who is a back up and practice squad DT with us was playing DE in the 4th quarter because we had nothing else.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

At this point trade him straight up for a CB that is better suited to play zone. There has to be a team out there that would prefer a CB like Elam that can play man who can give up a guy that is a zone type player.

Beane needs to work the phones and find a GM he can deal with.

Edited by Beast

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

At this point trade him straight up for a CB that is better suited to play zone. There has to be a team out there that would prefer a CB like Elam that can play man who can give up a guy that is a zone type player.

Beane needs to work the phones and find a GM he can deal with.

I expect Levi Wallace to be back. That’s a Beane move. Elam most likely just be deactivated, no team is trading for him. 

7 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

when Beane traded up to get Elam, I thought this guy was going to be a Tre White part 2.

Huge disappointment so far and the clock is ticking very fast

I say trade him this week. I Don't care we blew a 1st that is in the past.  Elam right now is a 2 out of 10, trade for a CB that is at least a 5 in McDermott's  system and its improvement.

19 hours ago, Success said:

More of a mixed bag from him today.  He had some nice tackles and jams at the line. But his coverage wasn't good.

It does appear that hes not comfortable or as effective in zone defense. Also, Jackson failed often as well. Play Elam to his strength - man.

54 minutes ago, Beast said:

The D was gassed. Did you see Epenesa on the sidelines sucking oxygen? 

well…they were gassed because they couldn’t get off the field.  Force a 3 and out.  They had a nice rest at halftime then they were on the field for 12 out 15 minutes in the 3rd Q…

51 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

#93 Vickers who is a back up and practice squad DT with us was playing DE in the 4th quarter because we had nothing else.

I understand.  But this wasn’t an all works Offense they were facing

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

well…they were gassed because they couldn’t get off the field.  Force a 3 and out.  They had a nice rest at halftime then they were on the field for 12 out 15 minutes in the 3rd Q…

WEO, I think both sides of the ball under-performed. I don’t necessarily disagree with you but I think that’s what we are going to get with who we have left on the defensive side of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I understand.  But this wasn’t an all works Offense they were facing

A 15 minute half time doesn't fill your battery back up.  It just gives you a little bit of a breather.

It needs to be an All World Offense in order for it to be appropiate?

If the Jets lost Quinnen Williams, Mosley, Sauce Gardner, Quincy Williams and Jermaine Johnson....and they're passing rushing ends are Marquise Spencer and another 3rd stinger/PS player.....no drop off? 

I sense that Elam simply isn’t that sharp. The coaches have devised complex schemes that attempt to address most things the opposing offense throws at them.  If a player has gone off the reservation and is freelancing, it throws the whole thing off, creating opportunities for being exposed. 
  Maybe Elam has always been a ‘man’ CB because it works independently of the other 10 defenders and doesn’t take much more scheming than ‘stick to your man like glue’.  
  In his pre-draft interview with Beane and McDermott he brought his playbook, emphasizing how diligently he is with study. Sounded like B.S. to me. That should have been a clue. He may study his arse off, but that doesn’t mean it’s being comprehended. 
His days are numbered. 1st round bust. 

Edited by SoMAn

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

A 15 minute half time doesn't fill your battery back up.  It just gives you a little bit of a breather.

It needs to be an All World Offense in order for it to be appropiate?

If the Jets lost Quinnen Williams, Mosley, Sauce Gardner, Quincy Williams and Jermaine Johnson....and they're passing rushing ends are Marquise Spencer and another 3rd stinger/PS player.....no drop off? 

If you are paraphrasing my response, you should make a better effort.  Why make a straw man?  

Of course there was a drop off.  But to say they were gassed after a halftime break makes little sense.  I was asking for a few 3 and outs---or at least not consistently getting burned on 3rd and longs.  Even a depleted Bills D should be able to  do this against that Jags Offense.

Those were the points.

Not a great look that the  Bills put Ja'Marcus Ingram in there instead of Elam late in the game and McD when asked if Elam was hurt said "no, we just wanted to get a look a t some other players."  

Which in coach speak says "He was sucking so bad that we would rather have a UFA practice squad player in there instead of our 1st round pick from last year."

Ingram promptly missed an easy tackle in the  hole on Etienne which allowed him to score on that 35 yard run.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you are paraphrasing my response, you should make a better effort.  Why make a straw man?  

Of course there was a drop off.  But to say they were gassed after a halftime break makes little sense.  I was asking for a few 3 and outs---or at least not consistently getting burned on 3rd and longs.  Even a depleted Bills D should be able to  do this against that Jags Offense.

Those were the points.

Is it really a straw man?  When you have 3rd, 4th and 5th stringers going up against NFL starters from a playoff team a year ago, you're going to be effected a lot.

Do you think AJ Epenesa is a heavy cigarette smoker or something and why he was on the oxygen machine?  Or was he faking being gassed after half time?

I'm trying to figure out why you think a 15 minute half time break means you shouldn't get tired in the second half.  

A back up DT in Vickers needs to be able to provide a stable pass rush from the defensive end position?  Not being able to get pressure from the front 4 with 3rd and 4th stringers and 5th stringers against a starting offensive line is unacceptable?

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not a great look that the  Bills put Ja'Marcus Ingram in there instead of Elam late in the game and McD when asked if Elam was hurt said "no, we just wanted to get a look a t some other players."  

Which in coach speak says "He was sucking so bad that we would rather have a UFA practice squad player in there instead of our 1st round pick from last year."

Ingram promptly missed an easy tackle in the  hole on Etienne which allowed him to score on that 35 yard run.

Yeah I saw that and noticed it right away.

But yeah, Elam couldn't be in there.  Lawrence was just going to keep going his way....Elam was never within 5 yards of contesting a thrown ball.

20 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Let’s blame Kaiir for Milano and Jones for being injured. Let’s blame Kaiir for the offensive no show the first 3 drives. You clown. 

Kair was absolutely abused in coverage.  Ridley beat him 3-4 times cleanly on important 3rd down plays.  He was a contribution to the failure, I dont see what the problem is with acknowledging that.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is it really a straw man?  When you have 3rd, 4th and 5th stringers going up against NFL starters from a playoff team a year ago, you're going to be effected a lot.

Do you think AJ Epenesa is a heavy cigarette smoker or something and why he was on the oxygen machine?  Or was he faking being gassed after half time?

I'm trying to figure out why you think a 15 minute half time break means you shouldn't get tired in the second half.  

A back up DT in Vickers needs to be able to provide a stable pass rush from the defensive end position?  Not being able to get pressure from the front 4 with 3rd and 4th stringers and 5th stringers against a starting offensive line is unacceptable?

Yeah I saw that and noticed it right away.

But yeah, Elam couldn't be in there.  Lawrence was just going to keep going his way....Elam was never within 5 yards of contesting a thrown ball.

I didn't think the coverage was that bad at times...I think the coaching staff put themselves in that spot by not getting him enough work in real games...I think as the year goes on he will improve as he did last year...

21 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Trade Elam and our 1st round pick to Denver for Patrick Surtain II. 

Elam has no trade value other than a late round pick.  Why would Denver take him as part of a Surtain trade?  Denver would want a lot more than you're proposing.  I know some writer proposed the same thing, but that was before the game yesterday.  Any value he had disappeared in London.  He was benched for an undrafted practice squad rookie from UB.  

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

When Elam & the Bills part company, I expect McDermott to call Elam a programmatic non-fit.  

I watched Elam quite a bit while he was in college and he was a great player. Would I have drafted him in round 1, let alone traded up for him. No but I won't even get into that. 

I really think that Elam is either hurt or has behavioral/personality issues or both.  Again, he caught my attention many times at Florida and he was obviously a  VERY talented player. Something is wrong. 

Jmo.

• Agree 1

Elam seems like a lost cause at this point.  

The way McDermott talks about him is almost in a dismissive/annoyed tone.  

It's all very bizarre and that dude out there yesterday was not the same guy on the field against KC and Miami last year.  He doesn't seem like a scheme fit, the coaches seem to almost dislike him on a personal level and when given his Year 2 opportunity, he regressed to the point he became unplayable.  

We can't be going into the rest of the season with Jackson/Benford with a developmental PS squad guy and a headcase backing them up.  Either McDermott, Butler and Elam need to all have a sit down this week and get right or we should see if we can flip him for a late round pick and/or flip a late round pick for a baseline solid corner scheme fit... doesn't need to be Patrick Surtain, but we can't have whatever that was in the secondary, for the rest of the year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.