Humble me before the jags game

nuiwek

The Jaguars are a bit of a nemesis.

In just their second year in the league (1996), they beat the Bills in an AFC Wild Card game, knocking Jim Kelly unconscious (out of the game) and basically ending his career and the run of that SB-era Bills team.

They also knocked us out of the playoffs in the 2017/18 Wild Card round (the start of McD's tenure and the end of Tyrod Taylor's) with a horrendous 10-3 score/game.

The last time we played them, we only scored 6 points.

The last time we played them in London we lost.

The overall record between the teams is 9-9. But they have won 3 of the last 5.

Never take the Jags lightly. They have found ways to sneak out wins against superior Buffalo teams.

Did that help?

However, the Bills ARE still the more talented, versatile, and seasoned team. They should be able to take this one as long as they show up to play (don't have a hangover from either the Dolphins win or the travel/time change).

• Like (+1) 3

My brother keeps reminding me that what we do or say or think has no bearing on how the Bills play.

Hmm.  I don't believe him, of course.  So I promise to be as pessimistic as possible until Sunday, to help counter nuiwek's good/bad vibes.

• Like (+1) 2

I think they'll be prepared as best as you can be in that situation. I hate to see lag as an added excuse for a bad game. no game should be taken lightly, I trust the Oline to keep doing what they have been doing both in the pass and run game. if von starts, the D is going to be even at another level. 

Jacksonville has been there for over a week now so their bodies should be more acclimated than the Bills.  That could give them an advantage when it comes to who has more bounce to their steps.

Also, Jacksonville has a really good CB in Tyson Campbell, he's been playing very well and that could pose an issue for Diggs.

Their defense played very well against us the last time we played.

Their defensive line is stout against the run.

They also have Josh Allen who played a great game last time we played and he's been balling out this year.

There are definitely things that they can point to.

-Josh will throw it to the other team

-We need 37 running backs because all of them suck

-We only have one WR worth a sh!t but none that will run block

-We use two Tight Ends so we can get single TE production

-Spencer Brown

-The DL is showing some improvement in the 7th year together

-Bernard looks like Josh Dobbs with your little brothers facial hair

-Jordan Poyer played well in our comeback win against Houston

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

The problem with Jacksonville is they have Josh Allen too.

And when Josh Allen faces Josh Allen it creates a bubble in the very fabric of spacetime which confobulates the time continuum, resulting in scenarios where even Urban Meyer can beat us. in this dimension ducks might wear top hats, fish might serenade the moon with love songs, and Sean McDermott is a humble flea merchant.

Trust me, i'm Einstein.

This is a well known postulate of the Time Cop Theorem.

1 hour ago, nuiwek said:

Over the last few years, after a couple of good games (and especially after a fish @&$ whooping) I start feeling like Buffalo is unbeatable. With the sushi beatdown and all the amazing stats I've seen over the past couple days plus the analysis videos (thanks Cover 1!) I'm pretty freaking in the clouds. Problem is, almost every time I get to this point, we lay an egg in the next game. But, when I feel like there's a good chance we'll lose or that a win is going to be much tougher than it has any right to be, we usually win. So humble my old @&$, why are the Bills going to lose Sunday? I already know that Diggs doesn't move on run plays.

Things are different now than before.  We don't have a soft bend don't break defense anymore like we had under Frazier.  Dorsey and Allen seem to be on the same page and understanding how to balance aggression and smart take what they give you football.  

So I think we are going to see this hold this time as along as we avoid critical injuries.

The Jags having been in London and being a decent team make me worried about a "funky" game happening. Teams come out flat esp in more odd circumstances (Thursday games or odd travel games like the London game) so the Bills if they come out a bit "flat" they will be in a tight game. Bills are rolling but that's what concerns me about this game. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Jags having been in London and being a decent team make me worried about a "funky" game happening. Teams come out flat esp in more odd circumstances (Thursday games or odd travel games like the London game) so the Bills if they come out a bit "flat" they will be in a tight game. Bills are rolling but that's what concerns me about this game. 

Yeah but we're the home team...

2 hours ago, nuiwek said:

Over the last few years, after a couple of good games (and especially after a fish @&$ whooping) I start feeling like Buffalo is unbeatable. With the sushi beatdown and all the amazing stats I've seen over the past couple days plus the analysis videos (thanks Cover 1!) I'm pretty freaking in the clouds. Problem is, almost every time I get to this point, we lay an egg in the next game. But, when I feel like there's a good chance we'll lose or that a win is going to be much tougher than it has any right to be, we usually win. So humble my old @&$, why are the Bills going to lose Sunday? I already know that Diggs doesn't move on run plays.

The Bills will win but your haircut is terrible

Humble up!

• Haha (+1) 1

The Bills fell asleep in the comfortable Virgin Atlantic pods and forgot to wake up for deplaning

In the infamous 9-6 loss to the Jags in 2021, we had also just beat Miami the previous week, and were flying high at 6-2. The Jags were 1-6 at the time. Our Josh threw 2 picks & lost fumble on a sack by their Josh. Crazy things happen to us.

After typing this out, I'm actually finding myself more nervous about this game than the Miami game.

You don't need to be humbled.  We have one of the best teams in football. We won't win them all. It's ok.

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Things are different now than before.  We don't have a soft bend don't break defense anymore like we had under Frazier.  Dorsey and Allen seem to be on the same page and understanding how to balance aggression and smart take what they give you football.  

So I think we are going to see this hold this time as along as we avoid critical injuries.

That's pretty much the same thing I said....

That along with finally having a better Oline 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

That's pretty much the same thing I said....

That along with finally having a better Oline 

Agreed, the OL playing much better.  Which I think is a combo of upgrades on the line and guys being healthy along with the more efficient offense where we aren't holding the ball as long aggressively trying to push downfield as frequently.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed, the OL playing much better.  Which I think is a combo of upgrades on the line and guys being healthy along with the more efficient offense where we aren't holding the ball as long aggressively trying to push downfield as frequently.  

Yeah clearly the upgrades specifically the rookie who's been beyond killing it and McGovern playing so well. Just what the Oline needed for sure. Hopefully they all stay healthy for the most part

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

My brother keeps reminding me that what we do or say or think has no bearing on how the Bills play.

Hmm.  I don't believe him, of course.  So I promise to be as pessimistic as possible until Sunday, to help counter nuiwek's good/bad vibes.

That is not true if you are in stands - Bills thanked fans for noise and Fish were canned by it.

You can also affect players on social media; a couple of the less level header players have blown up after receiving comments.

4 hours ago, nuiwek said:

3 hours ago, nuiwek said:

IDK? I feel this time it is different. We fixed so many things from last season plus we got most of our injured players back from last year….

6 hours ago, nuiwek said:

I think if they do lose it’s the same recipe as you see Washington getting boat raced by Chicago tonight. The team coming in has a chip on their shoulder and gets challenged.  The Bears haven’t won a game yet, and are just playing harder.  The Bills could get caught feeling good about themselves and the Jags could play their a$$es off. Plus the dreaded body clock disadvantage which i mentioned elsewhere 

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I think if they do lose it’s the same recipe as you see Washington getting boat raced by Chicago tonight. The team coming in has a chip on their shoulder and gets challenged.  The Bears haven’t won a game yet, and are just playing harder.  The Bills could get caught feeling good about themselves and the Jags could play their a$$es off. Plus the dreaded body clock disadvantage which i mentioned elsewhere 

Jacksonville was a playoff team and had a lot of hype this off-season. They are playing in their home stadium and will be a really popular pick this week by gambling sharks. 

zero reason for overconfidence for the bills. 2 afc losses this early would really hurt. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jacksonville was a playoff team and had a lot of hype this off-season. They are playing in their home stadium and will be a really popular pick this week by gambling sharks. 

zero reason for overconfidence for the bills. 2 afc losses this early would really hurt. 

I hear ya. I get the whole London obligation, but dang, this is our home game and the Bills would throttle them in Orchard Park this weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

I hear ya. I get the whole London obligation, but dang, this is our home game and the Bills would throttle them in Orchard Park this weekend.

I honestly forgot about that and you’re right, it’s a huge advantage for them. We are still the much better team but we would have killed them in Buffalo where it’s supposed to be rainy 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I honestly forgot about that and you’re right, it’s a huge advantage for them. We are still the much better team but we would have killed them in Buffalo where it’s supposed to be rainy 

Yep, the road “home” game, the massive body clock disadvantage against a team adjusted to UK time for 10+ days, and not playing in our crappy weather.  It all pisses me off but i’ll try to enjoy the game lol.  Gotta win to keep pace for that #1 seed. Miami has a layup this week too.

9 hours ago, nuiwek said:

We finished 13-3 last year.  We didn't lay many eggs.

Also, we often relied on Josh's heroics to win games.  It was almost as if Beane said, "We don't need no friggin' offensive line or running attack.  We have a freak for a QB!"  

This year, so far (disregarding the Jets game), Josh has been protected well and the running attack has been good.  It's starting to look like an offense that can sustain its success.  Josh just needs to be good, and he's very good.  He doesn't need to be superhuman.  

Man where are the normal troll dopes for this? They've completely scattered after that beatdown, come back you roaches. Week 1 you would have had a dozen more sky is falling replies by now. Interesting that demolishing the Fish of all teams wiped the board clean, I really thought most were Pats fans.

Anyway, we always have trouble with Jacksonville but I'm also a little bit concerned with all of the talk of acclimation, both here and on Twitter, as if the Bills are already fighting from behind just because the Jags have been there for awhile. Makes a bit of sense I guess, although I assume these pros have other professionals getting them ready by the minute.

On 10/5/2023 at 12:34 PM, nuiwek said:

Did you get what you asked for? A loss and having two very good  defensive starters gone for the year is humbling enough don't you think?

• Sad 2
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.