Dion Dawkins revival

Ethan in Cleveland

I've been pretty down on Dion the last year or so. I thought he played an excellent game on Sunday. Perhaps his best game in the last 20. 

I have no idea how he will be graded out but it looked like he was holding his own one on one the entire game and giving far less ground than he had earlier this year. If he can play at this level all year maybe they keep him next year. His cap hit is only marginally more than this year. His dead cap hit is over $7M. That would save them $8M in cap space but leave them relying on a rookie to play LT. 

What did others see?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Everybody pre season calling Dawkins fat, out of shape, lazy, etc.

He’s a good tackle and a cost controlled price. 

Well. He is fat and out of shape. But he has played well so far this season.  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, mrags said:

I will say that I was very tough on Dawkins and he’s impressed so far this year. But I won’t kiss his butt just yet. It wasn’t a starting caliber DE he was going up against yesterday. 

This makes sense.  He's been good all year but you're not giving him credit because you don't think Bradley Chubb isn't a starting DE?

13 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I've been pretty down on Dion the last year or so. I thought he played an excellent game on Sunday. Perhaps his best game in the last 20. 

I have no idea how he will be graded out but it looked like he was holding his own one on one the entire game and giving far less ground than he had earlier this year. If he can play at this level all year maybe they keep him next year. His cap hit is only marginally more than this year. His dead cap hit is over $7M. That would save them $8M in cap space but leave them relying on a rookie to play LT. 

What did others see?

The much more likely scenario is they extend his contract in the offseason.

They aren't going to cut him and rely on a rookie to block Josh's blind side.

Now, if after the year he balloons and gets fat and quits on football, sure he could be cut. Or if after next year he asks for $16 million plus, they'll let him walk, but otherwise he'll be on the team next year. 

I see "Let's cut this vet for cap space" ideas on this forum. When was the last time Beane actually did that? Especially a drafted and developed player like Dawkins. 

Edited by elroy16

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This makes sense.  He's been good all year but you're not giving him credit because you don't think Bradley Chubb isn't a starting DE?

He gave him credit.  He’s just not kissing his butt.  Bradley Chubb does suck. 

12 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

He certainly looked quicker and more violent. Something happens between these two teams, and it brings the best out of our guys. Dawkins played with some real spice yesterday that was great to see. Hopefully he stays this way the rest of the season. 

Spot on. The whole team seems to raise their level of focus and intensity for these big games. (Makes me wonder why they laid such an egg against the Bengals last year).

He’s been pretty good. He’s always been pretty good other than last year. 

I was thinking about something today in regards to Josh Allen and his offensive lines. You rarely hear the national media talk about subpar offensive line play affecting Josh Allen. This is the best OL he’s had but OL talk and Allen never seems to be a topic outside of Buffalo.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

12 hours ago, mrags said:

Well. He is fat and out of shape. But he has played well so far this season.  

Just because he's fat doesn't mean he's out of shape.  He obviously is in good enough shape to make it through an NFL training camp and play an entire NFL game.  I agree that it seems strange to see 300+ pound guys with less than perfect physiques successfully playing a professional sport, but they do.  Spencer Brown has a much better physique, but he's not a better player (although I hope that maybe one day he will be).  

16 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Thought both tackles did excellent

but I also feel we have a SOLID set of guards now with McGovern and the rookie !!!

Crazy what shoring up the interior will do to help those Tackles that are out on islands.

Now granted, Brown is getting a lot of help from TEs and RBs and even bringing in a 6th OL. But even when it's just the base 5 OL, the OTs are playing better than ever before.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Torrance could be a pro bowl guard this year if he continues his improvement...dude is so good it's ridiculous.

O'Cyrus Torrence is playing at such a high level for a rookie that he might be the best guard we've had since Jim Ritcher if he keeps going!!!

I was pumped when we drafted him, excited to see him gain a starting job, and then blown away by his play in the regular season. Just a special start...

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Cheesus said:

I’m liking Torrence more and more each week. A few of his snaps the other day ended up with him lying on top of the Miami DLman he just demolished. And I don’t recall hearing Wilkins’s name all day. 

17 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Everybody pre season calling Dawkins fat, out of shape, lazy, etc.

He’s a good tackle and a cost controlled price. 

He looked bad against the Steelers in preseason. Otherwise in the other two preseason games he looked like he did last year (average to above average). Other than one bad preseason performance there was no reason to think he wasn’t going to at least be decent. 

Thus far he is playing really good. Easily the best he has been since 2019

26 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

O'Cyrus Torrence is playing at such a high level for a rookie that he might be the best guard we've had since Jim Ritcher if he keeps going!!!

I was pumped when we drafted him, excited to see him gain a starting job, and then blown away by his play in the regular season. Just a special start...

I genuinely would have been Ok had the Bills drafted him in round 1. He was by far the best guard in the draft. How he fell to pick 59 is crazy. The Bills feasting off of other teams mistakes and getting themselves the best guard in the draft in the late second 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.