Tre White Injury Updates (Torn Achilles now confirmed)

Process

The Bills have a couple million in cap now...they likely will need to create more before the season is done.  I wonder if the Bills were possibly having talks with Tre on an extension that could have saved money this year and next.  It seemed like he was getting back to his self.

18 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Bills have a couple million in cap now...they likely will need to create more before the season is done.  I wonder if the Bills were possibly having talks with Tre on an extension that could have saved money this year and next.  It seemed like he was getting back to his self.

I hope Tre sticks around and comes back. But I can’t imagine in the short term there is an extension. No way you give a new contract to a guy a couple weeks after blowing his achilles without being able to at least test it first. 

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

I hope Tre sticks around and comes back. But I can’t imagine in the short term there is an extension. No way you give a new contract to a guy a couple weeks after blowing his achilles without being able to at least test it first. 

That probably hurts Beane they probably were looking at extending him the way he was coming back. The smart GM in him knows he's not doing that now and that's got to hurt, everyone loves Tre.

• Like (+1) 2

i'd be tempted to sign another teams players to our active roster to get another body in besides a street FA.

keep ingram on the PS and elevate him for the next week.

when miller comes back we cut the guy we brought from the PS and offer him a PS spot.

long term we may have another option to put someone on ir

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That probably hurts Beane they probably were looking at extending him the way he was coming back. The smart GM in him knows he's not doing that now and that's got to hurt, everyone loves Tre.

I think there’s a path where the team lets him rehab and come back before they make any decisions. It may even help with free agents and extensions down the line. That would be two stars in two years with two major injuries the team stands behind while they get better. 

Just a thought. I love the guy. I would hate to see him leave the team or leave the league like this. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I tore an achilles playing football.  I very much had an Aaron Rodgers moment.  You know that hard ridge near the ankle on the back of your leg?  That is the achilles and there was a spot on it for me where it just wasn't there.  It was creepy weird to run your thumb along it and then you get to a spot where your thumb just sinks into your leg.

My point is that if he tore his achilles completely, then they knew on the field.  It is not a maybe diagnosis.  Maybe that explains Trey's reaction.  OTOH, if they knew on the field then why no announcement?

On the plus side, that was my third leg surgery and I was a pro at rehab by that point.  I was completely out of the boot and doing calf raises at 8 weeks.  I think it might actually be possible for him to be ready for the playoffs.

Here is to hoping it is just a partial tear and that Trey will not have more time to dedicate to his goalie academy.

They "know", but they always still seem to wait until there's MRI confirmation to announce it.  I'm a UCLA basketball guy and during our last game of the regular season, one of our stars, Jaylen Clark, went up for a layup and when he came down it looked just like Tre, like he had been shot in the calf or something, and he had the same awful reaction where he was almost instantaneously despondent.  We didn't get official confirmation of the injury until he received an MRI and his swelling subsided.  Tre is done for 2023, but should be able to come back by the beginning of next season.

Guys, I think we need to consider the possibility that White has played his last down with us. Achilles are hard to rehab. I will not be shocked if White is a trade candidate 

EDIT: I like Tre and I don't want to see him gone, but that's a hard injury to come back from. People rarely get back to 100%

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 3

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Guys, I think we need to consider the possibility that White has played his last down with us. Achilles are hard to rehab. I will not be shocked if White is a trade candidate 

I'd say a cut candidate.  Not many teams are going to trade for a guy coming back from injury, especially one that serious if it is truly torn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just a thought, maybe there should be a “Tre injury” and a “Tre, what do we do at CB/next steps”.

I know nobody means any harm but it feels weird to read “good vibes to the guy” backed next to “I guess we’ll have to cut him”.

Seems like two different conversations. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

IF it's a complete tear it isn't 100% impossible that he could play in the Super Bowl if we make it.

Cam Akers played RB 4.5 months after a tear. That's almost exactly the Super Bowl timeframe from yesterday.

I should also note the obvious: Cam Akers was practicing for a while before he actually played. It's not like he went from torn Achilles to right into the game as soon as it was feasible. 

SO, Tre could always be practicing for a few weeks during the playoffs which would be an enormous boost for both him and the team, even if he doesn't get into the game. 

Just saying that it has been done before. Every player is different, every body heals differently, and we don't know the exact injury yet. If a RB can do it and then play a major role for the Rams carrying the ball just a handful of months later it is possible.

Either way, he should be back to 100% next season for sure. It sucks now, no doubt, and you feel for the guy because he is a great human being as well as a great player. 

McDermott seems like an overly safe guy. He will probably have White on PUP to start the season next year and then wait until week 10 to play him again

45 minutes ago, Mango said:

No way he gets extended now, I agree.  In fact it may be more likely we have seen the last of him in Buffalo....I dont want that at all but it is a brutal business in that way.

Bills will address this position so I will be interested to see the names brought in for workouts

You have Tre going to IR

Benford was hurt - did return late

It will be addressed internally initially I think BUT wanted to put the list 

UFA

Greedy Williams

Sidney Jones IV - Bengals PS

Logan Ryan

These are probably the best of the Bunch

Trade

Levi Wallce - Bad Pitt Team (Rental)

Patrick Peterson - Bad Pitt team Get him next year too as Insurance is on a cheap 2 year deal

Marcus Peters - Bad Vegas team(Rental)

CJ Henderson - Car (rental)

Patrick Surtain II - Rookie Deal, 5th year option open will cost alot.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

IF it's a complete tear it isn't 100% impossible that he could play in the Super Bowl if we make it.

Cam Akers played RB 4.5 months after a tear. That's almost exactly the Super Bowl timeframe from yesterday.

I should also note the obvious: Cam Akers was practicing for a while before he actually played. It's not like he went from torn Achilles to right into the game as soon as it was feasible. 

SO, Tre could always be practicing for a few weeks during the playoffs which would be an enormous boost for both him and the team, even if he doesn't get into the game. 

Just saying that it has been done before. Every player is different, every body heals differently, and we don't know the exact injury yet. If a RB can do it and then play a major role for the Rams carrying the ball just a handful of months later it is possible.

Either way, he should be back to 100% next season for sure. It sucks now, no doubt, and you feel for the guy because he is a great human being as well as a great player. 

Maybe it’s just me but I wouldn’t be at all excited about Tre making his first appearance in a championship type game 4 plus months after an achilles injury.

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Bills will address this position so I will be interested to see the names brought in for workouts

You have Tre going to IR

UFA

Greedy Williams

Logan Ryan

Trade

Patrick Peterson - Bad Pitt team Get him next year too as Insurance is on a cheap 2 year deal

He said Buffalo tried to sign him before he went to Minnesota, so that's a possibility.

Surtain would be amazing and Denver would be insane to trade him 

23 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

McDermott seems like an overly safe guy. He will probably have White on PUP to start the season next year and then wait until week 10 to play him again

I just don't think that's feasible when we can save 6M by cutting him.. unfortunately. 

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You have Tre going to IR

UFA

Greedy Williams

Logan Ryan

Trade

I'd expect that Elam will be active and the #3 CB. I think they'll probably bring up Ingram, who had a good camp and roll with four outside CBs depending on the Benford injury.

The list of possible additions include a couple of names that came out of college highly ranked. Greedy Williams would cost nothing to add to the PS provided he's healthy and wants to play, and Sidney Jones, who we'd have to have active. Were those guys just bad fits in a system, like Elam, or do they just not have the desire.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He said Buffalo tried to sign him before he went to Minnesota, so that's a possibility.

Surtain would be amazing and Denver would be insane to trade him 

Lots of rumblings that Surtain may want out of Denver.  They're a disaster, and he's their best trade piece.  He won't come cheap, but I think Denver would be willing to listen.

• Like (+1) 1

i suspect tre is done as a bill, and possibly done w football all together.

given his cap, how he is not who he was a few years ago, and two massive season ending injuries and a lot of time missed, i think you walk away

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's a shame.  Cb is the worst position for a player to experience these kinds of injuries. It's very high speed and reactive, moving based on the opponents.  

This is going to be a major battle for tre, both mentally and physically.  He is going to have to be a positive thinker and a fierce and focused worker.  Hopefully von Miller can coach him through this 

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty sure it would take another corner injury OR they've completely given up on Elam (which I doubt) - in order to be looking for a trade.

Benford, Dane, Elam

Ingram (P/S) 

Is an OK group, with some unknown about Elam...perhaps he surprises, aka Bernard, when given the chance again.  It's not like Elam looked bad LY, just wasn't consistent and had something behind the scenes that caused the New England benching (in favor of Rhodes).

With Von returning at some point, very good to great DL play - coupled with outstanding LB play and 2 vet safeties- we will be more than fine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, colin said:

given his cap, how he is not who he was a few years ago, and two massive season ending injuries and a lot of time missed, i think you walk away

Unfortunately I think you're right. Tre means everything to this team as the leader he is. But his reaction yesterday ripping off and tossing his helmet said it all.  I'm still rooting for a grade2 tear for a 5 month recovery but anything worse and he's likely done.  This will be Elam's final chance to either make this team or get cut.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Unfortunately I think you're right. Tre means everything to this team as the leader he is. But his reaction yesterday ripping off and tossing his helmet said it all.  I'm still rooting for a grade2 tear for a 5 month recovery but anything worse and he's likely done.  This will be Elam's final chance to either make this team or get cut.

Yeah agree this is something to think about.

Remember he almost didnt play the COVID year

That ACL really put him in a bad place mentally (he has talked about it) 

Damar incident really messed with him

Just to be getting over that mental part and playing like the all Pro again to pop the achilles. 

I would not put it past him to say OK I am not doing this again.  I am done, I have made life changing money, time to move on. 

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You have Tre going to IR

UFA

Greedy Williams

Logan Ryan

Trade

Solution is already on the roster. They're not going to be able to upgrade Elam with any kind of roster mover. Really the only question is do they move one of their PS players to the active roster or sign a new young PS type player

1 minute ago, appoo said:

Solution is already on the roster. They're not going to be able to upgrade Elam with any kind of roster mover. Really the only question is do they move one of their PS players to the active roster or sign a new young PS type player

They Will address the position.  That is a fact.  Not going to put a CB on IR and have another with an INJ (severity really unknown) and not address the position.  One will be added somewhere either on the 53 or on the PS whn Ingram is elevated (if he is permanently)

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They Will address the position.  That is a fact.  Not going to put a CB on IR and have another with an INJ (severity really unknown) and not address the position.  One will be added somewhere either on the 53 or on the PS whn Ingram is elevated (if he is permanently)

Who's the other injured corner? Benford? He came back and played

15 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Pretty sure it would take another corner injury OR they've completely given up on Elam (which I doubt) - in order to be looking for a trade.

Benford, Dane, Elam

Ingram (P/S) 

Is an OK group, with some unknown about Elam...perhaps he surprises, aka Bernard, when given the chance again.  It's not like Elam looked bad LY, just wasn't consistent and had something behind the scenes that caused the New England benching (in favor of Rhodes).

With Von returning at some point, very good to great DL play - coupled with outstanding LB play and 2 vet safeties- we will be more than fine.

I'm wondering if the 4 game timeout will be a motivating factor for Elam to improve any areas the staff has identified as weaknesses in his game.

'If you think your 1st round status is a free pass to a gameday jersey, think again Kaiir.'

Could be that's been at least partially the reason for the 'inactive' designation these past weeks. Of course, it's just as likely he's simply been outplayed by the other CBs.

1 hour ago, colin said:

tre was off to a rough start in the Jets game but he has been playing some of his best football prior to this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.