Davante Adams trade speculation…UPDATE: Schefter says no chance he is traded today (link pg 17)

Alphadawg7

I feel like there's almost no chance, but if I was Beane I'd be offering a 1st and a 3rd/4th to try and get this done.

This iteration of our Bills is in it's late stages. There's about to be alot of roster turnover in the next couple years.

ALL IN. Push them chips forward and try to get a Lombardi this year.

The other superpowers are bolstering their rosters at this position right now too (hardman, Julio). It's an arms race. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would love this move more than anything if we traded for Adams midseason.  It's such a "we're winning now, screw you all" move that I'd love to see the Bills have enough confidence to make.  

Diggs, Adams, and Davis would instantly make us the most threatening big play team in the league (or at least equal to Miami). 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I feel like there's almost no chance, but if I was Beane I'd be offering a 1st and a 3rd/4th to try and get this done.

This iteration of our Bills is in it's late stages. There's about to be alot of roster turnover in the next couple years.

The other superpowers are bolstering their rosters at this position right now too (hardman, Julio). It's an arms race. 

I mentioned him before but think Kendrick Bourne is the guy we should pursue as he won't cost much and think he'd fit in well with this locker room as he can play the slot or outside etc. and has pretty good hands, at times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Offer all of our other receivers, Elam and some picks. We will never beat elite teams with just Diggs and a collection of #3s.4s & 5 receivers. 

There's a very good reason why Beane is the GM and none of us are. 

On 9/29/2023 at 4:08 PM, Einstein's Dog said:

With respect to in-season trade targets I would rather have Mike Evans, and Mike Evans is more realistic IMO.

I think the Bills want someone who can accept being #2 on our team, have a contract that overlaps Diggs by a year at least (for Diggs insurance- he has shown some stability problems, much as D Adams is kind of doing).  And there is a budget, probably a flexible budget but it doesn't seem to be unlimited.

Evans isn't more realistic. Tampa is in playoff hunt. Raiders are not.

29 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Agreed my friend. Id lovvvvve to see Adams and Diggs but the finances likely don’t allow it.

PS Anyone in Geneva check out the Rusty Pig BBQ! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Evans isn't more realistic. Tampa is in playoff hunt. Raiders are not.

That is true now - please note I had put this out several weeks ago and had expected Tampa to fold.  Unfortunately they did not.

D Adams remains a long shot IMO because the Raiders aren't out of either, 3-3 w Chi up next.  And I think he is too expensive - I see people claiming an inexpensive hit but for a player that just last year signed a $140M contract I think he would be over budget for us.  And now the article linked showed just the kind of diva attitude we don't need more of - while winning Adams is complaining because his personal stats are not up to his standard

The in-season trade to get a WR upgrade over Gabe is looking tough.  Not a lot of teams out of it.   Of those maybe Thielen of Car.  I had floated out DHop again because Tenn is in the basement.  If they lose to ATL they might give up.

If you trade for adams what do you expect from him on a per game average for the remainder of the season. It takes forever to integrate players into this team/system. does the offense have to be redesigned at all to maximize the value of adams? Do you trust Dorsey to do that in a matter of weeks?

6 catches for 70 yards Per game?

is that even realistic? We want to play two tight end formations. So he and Diggs would get the snaps and Davis would be relegated to the sherfield role which is essentially nothing.

Edited by iccrewman112

14 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Beane needs to make a move for a wide receiver. Period.

He can't evaluate WR talent / doesn't know what a good one looks like so we're going to have to rely on a proven commodity again.

I don't know that he can't evaluate WR talent.. he just hasn't invested enough in it.

Diggs wasn't at this level when we traded for him.  Beane felt he could help JA and JA could help him.  Same with Beasley, who had some of his best years with Allen.

After that, Gabe Davis is/was a great value in RD4.  Unfortunately, that's apparently where we decided to stop....

Diggs

RD4 WR who is a high level WR3

RD5 WR 

JAG

JAG

That's not any way to build a WR room.

Even the Chiefs, who we clown for their WR's, have their Gabe Davis lite in MVS along with back to back RD2 picks and now trades for Toney and to bring Hardman back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

That is true now - please note I had put this out several weeks ago and had expected Tampa to fold.  Unfortunately they did not.

D Adams remains a long shot IMO because the Raiders aren't out of either, 3-3 w Chi up next.  And I think he is too expensive - I see people claiming an inexpensive hit but for a player that just last year signed a $140M contract I think he would be over budget for us.  And now the article linked showed just the kind of diva attitude we don't need more of - while winning Adams is complaining because his personal stats are not up to his standard

The in-season trade to get a WR upgrade over Gabe is looking tough.  Not a lot of teams out of it.   Of those maybe Thielen of Car.  I had floated out DHop again because Tenn is in the basement.  If they lose to ATL they might give up.

Gotcha I wasn't paying attention to the time.

Agree it is very unlikely to occur. The cap would be a challenge but I think Bills would only be on the hook for a prorated portion of his salary this year. Of course his contract would explode the cap next year but you could cut him after they win the SuperBowl. 

DHop is a thought. Hasn't done much in Tenn. though. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

They are indeed frauds but they have six highly winnable games left: Bears, Giants, Jets at home, Vikings, Colts, and Broncos, plus maybe they get lucky at home vs the Chargers. They could very conceivably win 9-10 games and get into the playoffs, and you just know that for McDaniel, that's everything. It'll save his job. He's not trading their best player!

Its not McDaniels call though, and the GM doesn't need the permission of the coach that may not be the HC very long given his long resume of suck outside of NE.  

Not saying it will happen, because it probably won't.  However, it is also not unrealistic given his cap hit and the fact the Raiders may just decide to rebuild as Adams isn't getting any younger, and that team isn''t likely going to be ready to contend anytime soon.  

On 10/9/2023 at 11:44 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well if that’s the case then by all means do what it takes to get that done.

Adams is still in his prime (late).

And that’s two elite route runners, gets Gabe Davis off the field. 

If we could make it work, do it. 

I think it would take a 1st, or a 2nd and another piece. 

NO! Gabe (#3 deep ball option, where hes ideal) and Davante on the outside, Stef in the slot almost full time or 70% ish. In the times we need Stef outside, is when Gabe can sit

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I would love to see Adams in a Bills uniform, but I think the most pressing needs are on defense with a quality DT and CB being at the top of the list.

defense is balling out while hurt..... we have this log jam of receivers that arent doing us much good as much as i wish they were.  harty, shakir, sherfield, nothing against the guys but adding another fringe guy there only makes it cloudier, dorsey unsure how to use them.  unless dorsey has a stroke and takes diggs or adams off the field, you really cant lose, josh will know how to use 2 elite route runners, and Gabe would feastttttttttttttttttttttt

if we have a chance to grab a major asset at WR on the offense go for it, if not, im all set. can only trade for whats available but we should be calling, theres been smoke a bunch now.

if we cant check that box, another DT or CB would be cool too... the waters there arent muddy enough where id be against trading for a mid level guy, no need to use major assets on a D thats performing like this. find a way to gas up the offense

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Gotcha I wasn't paying attention to the time.

Agree it is very unlikely to occur. The cap would be a challenge but I think Bills would only be on the hook for a prorated portion of his salary this year. Of course his contract would explode the cap next year but you could cut him after they win the SuperBowl. 

DHop is a thought. Hasn't done much in Tenn. though. 

How could we cut him if his contract with the Raiders from last year had $65M guaranteed (according to spotrac)?  He will have received about $50M.

2 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

If you trade for adams what do you expect from him on a per game average for the remainder of the season. It takes forever to integrate players into this team/system. does the offense have to be redesigned at all to maximize the value of adams? Do you trust Dorsey to do that in a matter of weeks?

6 catches for 70 yards Per game?

is that even realistic? We want to play two tight end formations. So he and Diggs would get the snaps and Davis would be relegated to the sherfield role which is essentially nothing.

Pretty much what Gabe gets with a slither of Stef’s targets going his way. Could be one game Stef is the guy, the next Adams but neither should ever see less than the average of 5 or 6 targets that Gabe gets. Plus side too is he’s capable of all routes. You then can have Stef in the slot where he is far more dangerous. 

If it happens the Bills automatically become odds on favorites and if the output, playcalling and results are anything like the Jags and Giants games then you know where the team is falling short…

Josh has proven he can get it done. 
Stef has proven he can get it done. 
Both have done so together. 
Adams has produced with no one like Stef opposite (although I do think Myers is sneaky good and underrated). 

20 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd offer our 1st in 2024 and a 3rd in 2025 that becomes a 2nd if we appear in the SB in 24 or 25.  Toss in an additional late rounder if need be.

We need to make a move like this to give ourselves a real shot at it 

Are the Raiders just going to eat that contract? Not sure how you think we can afford him with how much he makes.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, WotAGuy said:

I think the Bills plan to stand pat with the WRs they have and draft one early. 

It will be interesting to see what they do in the draft. They will have to think about the secondary. Poyer and Hyde are both over 30. Tre will be coming back from a second serious injury. What kind of season will he have next year. 

Just now, Gregg said:

It will be interesting to see what they do in the draft. They will have to think about the secondary. Poyer and Hyde are both over 30. Tre will be coming back from a second serious injury. What kind of season will he have next year. 

They do have some young guys in development for safety, and this Bills regime has shown an unusually good track record of bringing low round guys into the mix on defense. 

They don’t really have any young WRs that are prospects to take over for Gabe. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

and we are going to be losing AJE and Floyd, to bank on an aging Miller with Rosseau. I just don't get tingly thinking of that and our FO malfeasance handling the DL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

and we are going to be losing AJE and Floyd, to bank on an aging Miller with Rosseau. I just don't get tingly thinking of that and our FO malfeasance handling the DL

No matter how the season plays out I do think the Bills will have a retooling of the roster. I don't want to call it a rebuild but there has to be some changes. 

18 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Are the Raiders just going to eat that contract? Not sure how you think we can afford him with how much he makes.

They already paid him a huge bonus this year.  His cap hit this season is 6 Million - whatever the games played accounts for.  His hit next year is 17.5 and then no guarantees after that if I remember correctly

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

As sad as it will be to see them go, Tre will likely be cut as a post 6/1 designation saving 10.3 million in cap. Poyer may be here in 2024 but the Bills save 5.5 million in cap if he isnt. Hyde will be here bc not much savings but 2024 will be his last.

They may run with Benford, Elam, resign Dane and sign another cheaper vet for CB, Maybe they keep Rapp around for 2024. I think 2025 is when we will see some new faces for the secondary but certainly is going to be needed soon.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Adams is excellent, but he’s been in the league since 2014.  That concerns me as you give up a 1st next year and a 3rd the year after compromises us.

compromises us from what?  Drafting players that likely won't be impactful until 2026 on this team, if at all? 

Go for it now.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Adams is excellent, but he’s been in the league since 2014.  That concerns me as you give up a 1st next year and a 3rd the year after compromises us.

Don't worry, NOBODY is giving that up for Adams, even if the Raiders ate a good chunk of his salary. It's kind of like the you don't do that for a wide receiver over 30 years old rule.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

They already paid him a huge bonus this year.  His cap hit this season is 6 Million - whatever the games played accounts for.  His hit next year is 17.5 and then no guarantees after that if I remember correctly

And we're 33 million over the cap going into next year 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2024/

We have a ton of guys who will be FA's next year that will need to be re-signed or replaced. Starters and key depth players. Guys like Leonard Floyd, Micah Hyde, Daquan Jones, Gabe Davis, AJ Epenesa, and others.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

Not only can we not afford the hit this year and certainly not next year, we need the picks it would take to get him to replace players we won't be able to afford to keep. Most of our D-Line (including all of our DT's not named Ed Oliver) and our Safeties (which may need an overhaul anyways).

This is why D-Hop wasn't pursued anywhere near as heavily as you wanted. And he didn't cost anywhere near Adams or cost any Draft Picks. A major part of why we're sticking with Ty Johnson over Leonard Fournette (a clear upgrade). We don't even have a few million right now.

Davante Adams is a total pipe dream.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

Be Careful Alpha the Capitol Letters police will tell you this is not Madden. Adams here as a 1A would send a strong message. We want to win Now. 

Capital letters come out when common sense is disregarded. Wanting to "win now" is great is theory. But when the concept being talked about is completely unfeasible - the point is moot.

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And we're 33 million over the cap going into next year 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2024/

We have a ton of guys who will be FA's next year that will need to be re-signed or replaced. Starters and key depth players. Guys like Leonard Floyd, Micah Hyde, Daquan Jones, Gabe Davis, AJ Epenesa, and others.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

Not only can we not afford the hit this year and certainly not next year, we need the picks it would take to get him to replace players we won't be able to afford to keep. Most of our D-Line (including all of our DT's not named Ed Oliver) and our Safeties (which may need an overhaul anyways).

This is why D-Hop wasn't pursued anywhere near as heavily as you wanted. And he didn't cost anywhere near Adams or cost any Draft Picks. A major part of why we're sticking with Ty Johnson over Leonard Fournette (a clear upgrade). We don't even have a few million right now.

Davante Adams is a total pipe dream.

And the reason it's a pipedream is because we have missed on so many day two picks on cheap contracts. Our salary cap is bloated as a result.  

Beane needs to nail his day two picks next year (and obviously his first)

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.