Cook is Bill with most rushing yards in first 3 games since 2012 (Spiller)

Nephilim17

Just read this on NFL.com...

The Bills finally have a reliable bell cow providing balance to the offense, and it’s a beautiful thing to watch. After racking up 98 yards on the ground in Sunday’s road win over Washington, Cook now has the most rush yards by a Bills player through the first three weeks of the season since 2012 (C.J. Spiller with 308). 

Nice to see. Didn't know that we'd gone over decade without that kind of production.

I disagree with MJD's assertion that we have a "bell cow" back (maybe it's semantics, but I define "bell cow" as 20 to 25 rushes many games), but I think Cook is a good number-one back on this team who can rack up 12 to 16 carries a game and get good yardage and some catches.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-rb-index-week-4-one-running-back-i-promise-to-stop-underestimating

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

The Bills finally have a reliable bell cow providing balance to the offense, and it’s a beautiful thing to watch. After racking up 98 yards on the ground in Sunday’s road win over Washington, Cook now has the most rush yards by a Bills player through the first three weeks of the season since 2012 (C.J. Spiller with 308). 

Nice to see. Didn't know that we'd gone over decade without that kind of production.

I disagree with MJD's assertion that we have a "bell cow" back (maybe it's semantics, but I define "bell cow" as 20 to 25 rushes almost every game), but I think Cook is a good number-one back on this team who can rack up 12 to 16 carries a game and get good yardage and some catches.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-rb-index-week-4-one-running-back-i-promise-to-stop-underestimating

I liked CJ Spiller! And I'm liking James Cook now.

Is there such a thing as a bell cow back anymore? Derrick Henry in his prime perhaps, but where's the guy consistently getting 20-25 carries a game? McCaffrey, if you add his catches, may be almost there, but that's not the traditional guy we think of. Cook is what he is, which right now is pretty damn good. Use him, don't abuse him, don't run him till he pukes!

I would have to look it up, but I honestly can't remember the last time the Bills had an RB rush for over 1,000 yards in a season. With the exception of Allen, I think Cook will be the key to beating the Fins. If he can have another good day running, then that means the Bills are controlling the clock and keep the Fins offense on the sidelines. It will also open the passing game if the Fins D has to pay attention to Cook running the ball. Of course, the most important thing is to finish drives with 7 not 3.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Is there such a thing as a bell cow back anymore? Derrick Henry in his prime perhaps, but where's the guy consistently getting 20-25 carries a game? McCaffrey, if you add his catches, may be almost there, but that's not the traditional guy we think of. Cook is what he is, which right now is pretty damn good. Use him, don't abuse him, don't run him till he pukes!

McCaffrey is the GOAT he should have more touches...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Latavius Murray is really nice to have for short yardage and goal line. He's a big guy

I'm liking the "running back by committee" philosophy, with Cook being the primary guy and Murray and Harris adding a little change-of-pace.

• Like (+1) 8

"Bell cow" RB - I looked at the leading rushers the last 10 years. There are a few that averaged right about 20 carries per game, like Jonathan Taylor and Josh Jacobs the last couple years. But only 2 who went above that: Derrick Henry in 2020 and DeMarco Murray in 2014 (both around 23/24 carries). And obviously those were not great teams. 

Thing of the past. Cook + Harris + Latavius = today's model.

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

As a Bills fan - yes 100%!

As a fantasy football player who has Cook as a starter - you shush.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Latavius Murray is really nice to have for short yardage and goal line. He's a big guy

….and late in the game when the defense is tired and we want to run clock protecting our healthy lead. I hope for that to be a weekly tradition!   😋

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I would have to look it up, but I honestly can't remember the last time the Bills had an RB rush for over 1,000 yards in a season. With the exception of Allen, I think Cook will be the key to beating the Fins. If he can have another good day running, then that means the Bills are controlling the clock and keep the Fins offense on the sidelines. It will also open the passing game if the Fins D has to pay attention to Cook running the ball. Of course, the most important thing is to finish drives with 7 not 3.

Shady in 2017

Our between the tackles runs are what I’ve noticed the most this year. Harris and Murray going through the middle have been pretty effective 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

"Bell cow" RB - I looked at the leading rushers the last 10 years. There are a few that averaged right about 20 carries per game, like Jonathan Taylor and Josh Jacobs the last couple years. But only 2 who went above that: Derrick Henry in 2020 and DeMarco Murray in 2014 (both around 23/24 carries). And obviously those were not great teams. 

Thing of the past. Cook + Harris + Latavius = today's model.

You are correct. But I feel like a "bell cow" can and does go over 20 carries a game reasonably often. And a bell cow is good for all yardages. I don't see Cook being that kind of back and I like our committee approach. But he is the "lead" back and will get most touches most games.

45 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How many yards does he have when the Bills are up 3 scores?

I’ll make it easy. Most of his yards have come late in blowouts. Nothing to impressive so far.

Actually that’s the most impressive part of his yards. When the opponent knows you’re going to run to drain the clock you still put up yards. Very impressive.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

Actually that’s the most impressive part of his yards. When the opponent knows you’re going to run to drain the clock you still put up yards. Very impressive.

No. Not up 30-3 or 31-10. Game over. Half his yards have come in at the end of these games.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I disagree with MJD's assertion that we have a "bell cow" back (maybe it's semantics, but I define "bell cow" as 20 to 25 rushes many games), but I think Cook is a good number-one back on this team who can rack up 12 to 16 carries a game and get good yardage and some catches.

This is excellent production by Cook and very suitable for the way this is offense is more constructed. 18total touches per game sounds right with him also as a receiving option. Complemented by Murray and Harris, we have a balanced run attack. 

1 hour ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

McCaffrey is the GOAT he should have more touches...

He is terrific but I disagree with the latter. 24 touches per game sounds too high because he is much more likely to wear down as the season goes on 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

There is no such thing as a bell cow back in the NFL for any team that is a heavy passing team, which is most of the NFL.

RBs simply aren't going to get enough carries to ever be called that even if they got 90% of them.

Only teams without a viable starting QB are that run heavy where they could be considered bell cow backs and those are becoming fewer and fewer.

Edited by BillsUberAlles
  • Agree 1

I don't think its really that surprising to me about the rushing yards.  With an improved OL and some speed, getting some chunk yardage is there for him.  

BUT where Cook really needs praise that I have not seen really anyone talk about, is this kids toughness and tenacity both as a rusher and in pass protection.  Seriously, I don't think anyone thought much of him in regards to toughness or pass protection coming into the season, but I have been really impressed with both.  And this is why he has emerged as a lead back rather than just the speed guy and receiving weapon out of the backfield with Harris/Murray handling more the downhill running.  

For example, here is a clip from the Raider game and there were more plays like this where he has really taken a guy out in pass protection.  The bottom clip is some of his runs and breakdowns during the Raider game and you can see him just break tackles and get more yardage on contact.  

IMHO, this is really why he has ascended to a lead RB role with the Bills, his improvement in pass protection and his toughness and I don't think he is getting enough credit yet for this and he should be.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Almost all of Cook's rushing yards have been with us leading.  

He's got 13 carries for 36 yards when we're tied or trailing.  

He has no rushing TDs.

All but one of his carries have been on 1st or 2nd down.  

He's useless in the Red Zone;  8 carries for 22 yards, no 1st-Downs or TDs.  

In the first halves of games he's got 21 carries for 93 yards, a 4.3 YPC average, and 4 1st-Downs. 

In the second halves of games he's got 22 carries for 174 yards, 7.9 YPC average, 8 1st-Downs.  

It's the 4th Q with us up insumountably is where he's shone.  11 carries for 106 yards, 9.6 YPC.  4 1st-Downs  

Calling him a "bell cow" is way premature.  A heavy dose of caution is recommended here.  

FWIW 

Let's see how he does as a "bell cow" with the games on the line.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

So....  "Bell Calf" ?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

The fins game will be won up front. The team that can run and stop the run will win.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ll make it easy. Most of his yards have come late in blowouts. Nothing to impressive so far.

This post questions my football knowledge you have sir. The hardest time TO run is end of games and now he has proven it twice that he is good enough to take the game home...  He is playing the traditional 3 down roll with getting rests and breaks for 3rd/4th and short.  And I think we had a Third and short where Cook was able to take that home as well. 

If his best run was mid 4th quarter on, then expect better runs in the future in the first 3 quarters. 

Cook is the 3rd best runner statically right now...

Come on man... your better than this. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of people dislike my garbage time yards post without a rebuttal. You know what that means right? 

Cook will definitely earn his flowers this year but not yet. It’s early.

There really isn’t anything to rebut.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think its really that surprising to me about the rushing yards.  With an improved OL and some speed, getting some chunk yardage is there for him.  

BUT where Cook really needs praise that I have not seen really anyone talk about, is this kids toughness and tenacity both as a rusher and in pass protection.  Seriously, I don't think anyone thought much of him in regards to toughness or pass protection coming into the season, but I have been really impressed with both.  And this is why he has emerged as a lead back rather than just the speed guy and receiving weapon out of the backfield with Harris/Murray handling more the downhill running.  

For example, here is a clip from the Raider game and there were more plays like this where he has really taken a guy out in pass protection.  The bottom clip is some of his runs and breakdowns during the Raider game and you can see him just break tackles and get more yardage on contact.  

IMHO, this is really why he has ascended to a lead RB role with the Bills, his improvement in pass protection and his toughness and I don't think he is getting enough credit yet for this and he should be.  

I think Cook was held back last year because Singletary was so much his superior in pass pro. IMO, it was the biggest question mark of his coming into this season, and he needed to show improvement to regularly see the field, and he has.

His sideline and around the edge speed is near elite.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The fins game will be won up front. The team that can run and stop the run will win.

Didn’t Miami rush for 180 yards in the Dec game last year and lose in Buffalo, I’m thinking Allen needs to do his usual Allen things against Miami and hope the D can get a couple timely stops or turnovers.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So, we're up big and we use him to run the clock down and shorten the game and you have a problem with that?!?! Again, too many people on this board complaining just to complain.  🙄

12 minutes ago, Dopey said:

So, we're up big and we use him to run the clock down and shorten the game and you have a problem with that?!?! Again, too many people on this board complaining just to complain.  🙄

I said late in 3 score games. This isn’t your typical run the clock out stuff. Why are people so upset. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I said late in 3 score games. This isn’t your typical run the clock out stuff. Why are people so upset. 

I wasn't wrong in my response. Run the clock out when you're up big. Especially late in the game.

To the bold, that's what I'm wondering.

Edited by Dopey

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Some people should go to 1:51 and watch until the end. Pretty funny how the db ends up after tangling with Cook.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.