The good recipe against the smellfish

Italian Bills

Many things would be crucial Sunday, but in my opinion the main thing to do when we have the football, will be stay on offense as much as possible with long drives, eating the clock with a massive running game and lots of check down throws by Josh, in this way we will reduce the chance to commit turns and at the same time we’ll keep their offense off the field. 

It seem so obvious i know, but focusing on gain few yards on every attempt, from 3 to 6 yards, will help to move the chain without any risk, going deep sometimes. 

Then the D will think to close the door. 

Edited by Italian Bills
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The problem with this is if you kill the clock and come up empty handed you also take away time to score for yourself later on. I'm assuming Miami is going to almost score at will. The key to me would be to get them 3 and out (or to punt) as much as possible. Tough task and also simplistic as far as my thoughts go. 
but really just play ball and take advantage of what their defense gives ya. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

All of the "Captain Obvious" statements apply in this game especially with the way Miami can score.

1. Need to capitalize when the Bills get in the redzone with 7. 3 won't cut it this week.

2. Win the turnover battle.

3. Win on special teams. No short drives for the fins.

4. Balanced on offense with the pass and run.

5. Get pressure on Tua. 

6. Do a good job stopping the run and force them into 3rd and long.

Just to name a few.

Some weeks you can get away without playing your best. This is not one of those weeks.

9 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

The problem with this is if you kill the clock and come up empty handed you also take away time to score for yourself later on. I'm assuming Miami is going to almost score at will. The key to me would be to get them 3 and out (or to punt) as much as possible. Tough task and also simplistic as far as my thoughts go. 

If they're "scoring at will," we are in trouble. This game is going to require a dominant defense that will schematically cause Tua to hold onto the ball longer than he has been so far this season. Negate the short yardage plays, and stall the deeper routes from developing. And pressure Tua, FFS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

All of the "Captain Obvious" statements apply in this game especially with the way Miami can score.

1. Need to capitalize when the Bills get in the redzone with 7. 3 won't cut it this week.

2. Win the turnover battle.

3. Win on special teams. No short drives for the fins.

4. Balanced on offense with the pass and run.

5. Get pressure on Tua. 

6. Do a good job stopping the run and force them into 3rd and long.

Just to name a few.

Some weeks you can get away without playing your best. This is not one of those weeks.

Of course hitting hard Tua would make a big difference in this game… our D must get on him as much as possible, make him play scary.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I thought we were going to get a smellfish recipe. I love recipe threads, but I’m nervous about “smellfish”. 

The survival of this team depends on having a dominant defense that can not only get to the quarterback, but also didn't have fish for dinner!

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Italian Bills said:

Many things would be crucial Sunday, but in my opinion the main thing to do when we have the football, will be stay on offense as much as possible with long drives, eating the clock with a massive running game and lots of check down throws by Josh, in this way we will reduce the chance to commit turns and at the same time we’ll keep their offense off the field. 

It seem so obvious i know, but focusing on gain few yards on every attempt, from 3 to 6 yards, will help to move the chain without any risk, going deep sometimes. 

Agreed, 10+ play drives that more often than not, need to end in a TD.  McDermott needs to pin his ears back and unleash the Kraken this weekend with some blitzes.

32 minutes ago, Special K said:

Dolphins have played the Chargers, Pats, and Broncos....not exactly three juggernaut defenses.

Lets see how they look against the Bills Defense before everybody crowns the Dolphins as a great team.

And not to mention terrible defenses. 

1 hour ago, Italian Bills said:

Bills. It keeps our defense rested so when they are out there they can get after Tua or breakup passes, intercepting a few tipped balls...  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Bro an nfl game is like an onion with many layers. If we dink and dunk all game, it would be one dimensional. 

Phins are overrated.  We don’t need to control time of possession. We can beat them  going punch for punch. We are a much better team and have a much better coach. 

what we do need from you, is a pizza dough recipe. 

And next weeks game is not such a must win that you turn it into a slug fest risking any major injuries.  You play smart  and winning time of possession will certainly be more a recipe for success than a shootout.

Edited by AuntieEm

Adjusting our Offense because we are scared of theirs is a mistake IMO. 

The offense should take what the defense gives us.  And yes, the defense should be giving us easy run lanes and screens because the Fish have to protect against 20 yard lasers from a 6'5" laser throwing Manchild.  It's why we routinely get the cover 2.  If the Fins (Fangio) get cute and try to use a normal defense we should make them pay.

And when we get up by two scores don't forget it's the Fish that need to be careful.  The Bills started the derailment of their season last year by starting the Tua concussion parade.  We've already ruined the Jets season by taking out their QB.  And I don't know if M White really wants any part of getting into this game.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Adjusting our Offense because we are scared of theirs is a mistake IMO. 

The offense should take what the defense gives us.  And yes, the defense should be giving us easy run lanes and screens because the Fish have to protect against 20 yard lasers from a 6'5" laser throwing Manchild.  It's why we routinely get the cover 2.  If the Fins (Fangio) get cute and try to use a normal defense we should make them pay.

And when we get up by two scores don't forget it's the Fish that need to be careful.  The Bills started the derailment of their season last year by starting the Tua concussion parade.  We've already ruined the Jets season by taking out their QB.  And I don't know if M White really wants any part of getting into this game.

Tua would have, mercifully, been vaporized and ceased to exist on this planet if he took that hit Mike White took. 

There is a reason they get the ball out quick, they have to. Brady made it work, but he’s the GOAT and even as an old man more sturdy than Tua. It will be an interesting chess match. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

We will beat them either way, just can’t play one dimensional like Op suggested. Next weeks game is a competitive divisional opponent. It is a must win. 

Oh no doubt when their defense is gassed from trying þo stop our dink here dunk there power run up gut, sweep to the right ..... þhere become wide open Diggs and Davis for the tds.  I just rather they punch the fiñß in the face figuratively rather than get ìnto a shootout.  I'd always take Josh over any qb if it has to be a shootout, but ì want really the Fins to be demoralized and see how they respond after.  I don't think they got a çlose knit team.  So I expect they will fall apart as offense and defense in Miami start pointing fingers  as to who's more at fault.

While it's important it by no means is a must win.  

Edited by AuntieEm

People, just stop.  The Fish scored 24 points against the Pats***.  They are not unstoppable.

Just let McD and his coaches make their game plan.  You can surmise and pontificate all you want but it is truly meaningless.

The Bills are the favorite in this game for a reason.  Relax.

Squish the Fish!!!

19 and 1, Babyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

This is correct in my opinion, and the disadvantages of such a strategy are at least as significant as the supposed rewards. 

Basically, it is the Dick Jauron line of thinking. It would be an erroneous approach when the Bills on paper are at least on par talent wise with Miami if not superior (taking into account offense, defense, and special teams). The only way this plan could be justified is if Buffalo was significantly overmatched in every area versus the opponent. 

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unless we break their will.

Are you thinking we should turn their locker room into a meat locker? BRRR!!!  I’m open to all options! 

I liked the end of the Washington game where they just imposed their will on the worn out defense. Being able to run when they can’t stop you is a fantastic feeling! Balanced, but physical and effective. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

There is something to taking away possessions from Miami.  The first time they played last season, the Bills completely controlled the clock the problem as someone else pointed out was turnovers and coming away without points.  

Defensively they played fairly well with an underhanded crew so it gives me hope they can slow the Miami offense a little.  In the end I think it’s going to be a 30+ point shootout

The more I think about it…screw a ball control offense. Buffalo needs to come out firing. Definitely run the ball, but if there’s a home run pass available then Josh needs to take it. I’m not playing scared against Miami especially at home. I still feel like will have the better statistical offense when it’s all said & done. Tua can’t keep playing this good all season (I hope not.) 

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'm assuming Miami is going to almost score at will. 

Why would you assume this?   In the last game the Dolphins played in Buffalo with Tua (week 14 last year), they didn't score at will. 

Dolphins had 10 drives - 3 TD's, 3 FGS, 4 punts, no turnovers.   McDermoott now has more experience against the other McD as the Miami coach.   The Bills are a good D, they should be able to hold them to punts or FGs on at least 1/2 their drives and at least 1 TO.   

in that game Bills had 11 drives - 4 TD's, 1 FG, 5 punts,  1 TO.    Good clock management allowed Bills to get 1 more posession and kick winning FG at the buzzer.  

Based on recent history, good chance Sunday's game will be a close game wiht the winning team scoring somewhere between 27 - 35 points.   My prediction 34 - 31 Bills.

5 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I wouldnt do things like that. Id find a way to continue exchanging blows and whoever makes the big defensive plays will win the game.

Yes we must control the ball and score often.  Don’t slow it down, just be efficient.  We can score 30 plus on their D.   They have looked like they can score 30 on us too, but I like our chances better.  I think they’d like to run over us, but they don’t have the O line.  Look for Tua to throw 50 times.  We’ll get some sacks and picks.  Game over.

Edited by Ga boy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Why would you assume this?   In the last game the Dolphins played in Buffalo with Tua (week 14 last year), they didn't score at will. 

Dolphins had 10 drives - 3 TD's, 3 FGS, 4 punts, no turnovers.   McDermoott now has more experience against the other McD as the Miami coach.   The Bills are a good D, they should be able to hold them to punts or FGs on at least 1/2 their drives and at least 1 TO.   

in that game Bills had 11 drives - 4 TD's, 1 FG, 5 punts,  1 TO.    Good clock management allowed Bills to get 1 more posession and kick winning FG at the buzzer.  

Based on recent history, good chance Sunday's game will be a close game wiht the winning team scoring somewhere between 27 - 35 points.   My prediction 34 - 31 Bills.

Honesty that was last year, the Bills hardly beat a Thompson lead team, and I'm suffering from recency bias I suppose. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.