Watch Josh Allen's release on Sunday

Simon

Get your minds out of the gutter, creepers ; - )

During the first half of the Jest game, even when he wasn't playing particularly well, I remember remarking to myself that his release looked markedly improved from last year. Then during the Raiders game he cut loose several throws that actually had me goggling.

I don't know what he was doing or who he was working with in the offseason, or whether the speculation about his elbow was legitimate all last year, but I think he clearly worked on something that is showing up in his game now.

He is snapping it off like nobody else in the world right now. And maybe I'm just being a fanboy but I think I'm about two weeks from saying that Josh Allen now has the most wicked release of any QB that's ever played in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Get your minds out of the gutter, creepers. 

During the first half of the Jest game, even when he wasn't playing particularly well, I remember remarking to myself that his release looked markedly improved from last year. Then during the Raiders game he cut loose several throws that actually had me goggling.

I don't know what he was doing or who he was working with in the offseason, or whether the speculation about his elbow was legitimate all last year, but I think he clearly worked on something that is showing up in his game now.

He is snapping it off like nobody else in the world right now. And maybe I'm just being a fanboy but I think I'm about two weeks from saying that Josh Allen now has the most wicked release of any QB that's ever played in the NFL.

The throw to Shakir stands out, not sure I see a marked change in the release as much as a change in the depth of target in general.   I am curious what his time to throw was last week vs his career.  He tends to hold the ball as long as anyone, not saying that is bad but against some teams you dont want to do that.

33 minutes ago, Simon said:

The flick  and arm angle on the TD throw to Shakir was obscene 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

44 minutes ago, Simon said:

That throw to Shakir for the TD was otherworldly...he lived up to his nickname, "The Alien"

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

That TD pass to Shakir was incredible. Not sure I've seen anyone get that kind of zip on the ball with the kind of quick throwing motion and angle he threw it with.

I had somebody in another thread tell me that other QB's (i.e. Kenny Pickett) make throws like that all the time. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 8

47 minutes ago, Simon said:

You know, while people were dogging on him for making all the commercials maybe we overlooked a few things.

- In Allen's Verizon commercial, he's clearly seen watching game film. Has his tablet in his hand.

-In the Lays commercial where the legends unretire, he's working EXCLUSIVELY with Dan Marino. As we can all attest Marino had that quick release/snap type throw that we saw from Allen on the Shakir TD.

-While endorsing Madden, he gained access to all other 31 teams defensive playbook and tendencies. Excellent scouting opportunity.

The conclusion I draw is that Allen learns through osmosis. He doesn't need coaching. He needs to make a commercial where they play "We are the Champions" in the background. Product is irrelevant. Maybe Tide so his uniform stays clean.

• Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You know, while people were dogging on him for making all the commercials maybe we overlooked a few things.

- In Allen's Verizon commercial, he's clearly seen watching game film. Has his tablet in his hand.

-In the Lays commercial where the legends unretire, he's working EXCLUSIVELY with Dan Marino. As we can all attest Marino had that quick release/snap type throw that we saw from Allen on the Shakir TD.

-While endorsing Madden, he gained access to all other 31 teams defensive playbook and tendencies. Excellent scouting opportunity.

The conclusion I draw is that Allen learns through osmosis. He doesn't need coaching. He needs to make a commercial where they play "We are the Champions" in the background. Product is irrelevant. Maybe Tide so his uniform stays clean.

I love it when I can't decide between the laughing emoji and the awesome emoji. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Maybe he can do a jewelry commercial. Be a hand model for rings....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He does make some throws sometimes that just leave you speechless. The one to Diggs at the end of the Lions game last year and the TD pass to Kumerow in Denver a couple of years ago are two that immediately spring to mind. Incredible power mixed with a perectly finessed release. Guy is a rare talent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

That TD pass to Shakir was incredible. Not sure I've seen anyone get that kind of zip on the ball with the kind of quick throwing motion and angle he threw it with.

That was the first thing I thought of. That was one I still need to see one more time. I did NOT see that coming…….Even after I saw it happen! Yes, confusing, I know.  🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

He does make some throws sometimes that just leave you speechless. The one to Diggs at the end of the Lions game last year and the TD pass to Kumerow in Denver a couple of years ago are two that immediately spring to mind. Incredible power mixed with a perectly finessed release. Guy is a rare talent.

I quite often keep the third down throw from the end zone to Cole Beasley v Dallas on Thanksgiving for a night the missus goes to bed early. 

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I had somebody in another thread tell me that other QB's (i.e. Kenny Pickett) make throws like that all the time. :lol:

In their dreams. Some people do gave difficulty with separating reality and their imaginations.  I can imagine many wonderful scenarios that are not likely to be seen in reality.  I can still be entertained by my imagination and the wild wacky I never would expect that plays that do occur from time to time are sufficient for my imaginings to be quite acceptable as likely to not occur.

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

That throw would be all over sports tv had Mahomes thrown it. 

Mahomes can't make that throw, but there are throws he can make that Allen can't. Their arm talent is different from one another. With Allen it's the release and the velocity. With Mahomes it's the precise ball placement from crazy arm angles. They're both doing things I have never seen before.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Mahomes can't make that throw, but there are throws he can make that Allen can't. Their arm talent is different from one another. With Allen it's the release and the velocity. With Mahomes it's the precise ball placement from crazy arm angles. They're both doing things I have never seen before.

Mahomes makes similar throws all of the time.  Maybe not with as much snap/downward trajectory but that throw reminded me of vintage Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Mahomes makes similar throws all of the time.  Maybe not with as much snap/downward trajectory but that throw reminded me of vintage Mahomes.

Yea he'd have made the same play but in a slightly different way, he'd have manouvered an arm angle and slung it. Josh got it there with pure velocity. 

• Agree 1

Another great thing about that pass is when Crosby and Spillane are closing in on him, Morse(I think), drops off his block, turns and switches his attention to the 2 of them. Very nice awareness.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/9/21/23880023/bills-vs-raiders-a-closer-look-at-josh-allens-trio-of-td-passes-gabe-davis-dawson-knox-khalil-shakir

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His release is rarely off my mind. He could do with a haircut though. The Hollywood hobo look doesn't work for him. 

Count me among those who value your football insight and player evaluation skills… but… I gotta ask…🤔 are we still talking football here? 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

One of the days I was at training camp this year there was a throw he made to the sideline - a rocket - and I involuntarily exclaimed to no one "Oh My God".  It was unlike anything I had ever seen in real life

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Simon said:

Josh's injury impacted his short game because it effected his quick release

Go back to his breakout 3-year and he was ripping up the short game with a lightning release

It's also a part of why Josh was maybe looking down field more last year because it didn't hurt as much to push it downfield.. it was the quick release throws that got effected 

The dart throws 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Simon said:

It seemed to me he was using his hips and shoulders more.  But I agree, and hope, with the UCL issues he has worked with somone to be able to throw without putting the UCL under as much stress.

Come to think of it Brock Purdy looked better throwing when I watched him against the Steelers week 1.

I think you are on to something Simon.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he'd have made the same play but in a slightly different way, he'd have manouvered an arm angle and slung it. Josh got it there with pure velocity. 

And thanks to Andy Reid, the receiver would have been open with nobody around him for ten yards.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Come to think of it Brock Purdy looked better throwing when I watched him against the Steelers week 1.

His field awareness was just as good but I agree that his arm looked better than it did last year.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.