Takeo Spikes was the legend of the game - and he didn’t like his free seat

Einstein

2 hours ago, Beast said:

The Bills have treated alumni like gold since the Pegula’s have taken over. It really is a joke that some think we have owners that are just the worst that ever owned a team.

I mean, they’re literally the worse NHL owners ever. Terrys playoff drought is nearly 2x the next worst in league history.

The Bills are a lot better for sure. I get it. But also I get the criticism. 

53 minutes ago, Fetou said:

Yes, all expenses paid including transportation to and from, food and drinks, etc.

I don't think the money even comes into play here in the slightest. He's a former pro bowl caliber NFL player from the modern Era, some free drinks and cafeteria quality food isn't even moving the needle when you live that lifestyle. It's a respect thing, and they used him for promotional gameday entertainment on the field and then gave him THAT view? Big insult. I'm sure when they are giving free stuff to the politicial families they need hundreds of millions of dollars of funding from, they wouldn't make that mistake.

I can't imagine taking an everyday business client to that suite with a straight face,  let alone your legend of the game NFL football player

I don’t get why they don’t leave 4 seats open in Terry’s box specifically for this. 

Maybe leave another 4 open in the friends and family suite with the wives, parents, etc. for any additional entourage. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don’t get why they don’t leave 4 seats open in Terry’s box specifically for this. 

Maybe leave another 4 open in the friends and family suite with the wives, parents, etc. for any additional entourage. 

I wonder how much it being the home opener factored into it. Usually pretty packed, not a lot of extra seats to go around.

That said, I'm sure any of the corporate boxes would've loved to let him come hang and watch from their seats.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The part about "accommoded" was an attempt at humor. I assumed it was a voice to text error.

And yes, the bolded  was my point exactly: No one here knows if he asked for a different seat although many people criticizing Spikes have decided that he didn't.

I can agree with that and I'm sorry TKO didn't have the best time during the game 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

What Bills rep?

If he left the stadium then likely no rep was in the suite. Was he supposed to hunt one down? 

I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago, sitting at the bar. Our food took over an hour. Our bartender didn’t come by once. I couldn’t flag him. Who the hell was I supposed to complain to?

If there is nobody there, there’s nobody to tell. 

Again I wasn't there... And I'm not trying to boo who on TKO situation

I'm just saying this isn't the biggest problem in the world

But I do agree you would think he would be treated well... It would be a bigger problem to me if he asked for a better view and they denied him

I assume he got a free flight and hotel for the weekend.  

And maybe, just maybe, previous legends have had seats in the owner’s box while Takeo wanted his own suite, and that’s what was available. 

Regardless, it was a pretty crappy look for Takeo to air his grievance on social media. 

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Mango said:

I mean, they’re literally the worse NHL owners ever. Terrys playoff drought is nearly 2x the next worst in league history.

The Bills are a lot better for sure. I get it. But also I get the criticism. 

Agreed.

I'm no NFL owner but if I were, I would definitely want to have these Bills greats in my suite and do my best to pick their brain on anything football related I could, even the ongoing game itself.

Not necessarily to act upon or even agree on anything they may say, just to have a different perspective from someone who knows a thing or two about the game.

7 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

So is virtually everything that's discussed on this forum.

The guy made $33M for 4 years with the Bills, 3 seasons worth of games and 2 good seasons (and a...).  If he hadn't revealed they put him in a crappy suite, no one would have known.  He should have said "thank you for the money you gave me and the honor and free airfare, hotel and suite."

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Fetou said:

I mean when someone admittedly struggles to afford a seat in the 300 level and can't see anything past the thick cloud of envy surrounding them, they'd probably feel like the legend of the game with a 50% off coupon to Golden Corral.

Any insight on where to score those Golden Corral coupons? Asking for a friend.

• Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

Boo hoo.  Cry me a river. You were on the freaking field before the game.  You could walk into literally ANY of the suites and people would have let you sit with them.  Probably could have hung out on the sideline for all i know.  Instead... trash the organization that put you out there.  

Hopefully they figure out a better way to accomodate, but unless he had a group of like 14 people it doesn't make any sense why he wouldn't just walk around and be like "im takeo spikes"

• Disagree 1

There are views available from each seat and each player before invited should be given a TKO test - "Are these seats good enough for you?" and if the answer is no then they can see if they have seats which satisfy player or tell player "maybe next time".  These things are usually handled by Player Engagement These things need to discussed ahead of time and if changes are needed discussed again and agreed to.

Player Engagement

• Mark Carrier Director of Player Engagement
  • Len Vanden Bos Director of Player Development
  • Kelsey Harkins Coordinator of Player Services

I had a job offer once and a couple days before I was to start recruiter said they changed location and salary (lower) and my response was "That is not the job I agreed to." and his response "That is offer now."  On the Monday on first day of job (I was home for I took three weeks off burning vacation time I'd lose) I got call from recruiter and he said "Client called and asked why you did not go to work. You start today."  I responded I did not agree to contract and he said he has it signed by me.  I  told him the job stated different salary and location. He said "What I am to tell client." My reply was "Tell the truth - you screwed up.  When I visited company I met people I knew in administration and if lie and blame it on me I will sue you for slander."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

There are views available from each seat and each player before invited should be given a TKO test - "Are these seats good enough for you?" and if the answer is no then they can see if they have seats which satisfy player or tell player "maybe next time".  These things are usually handled by Player Engagement These things need to discussed ahead of time and if changes are needed discussed again and agreed to.

I had a job offer once and a couple days before I was to start recruiter said they changed location and salary (lower) and my response was "That is not the job I agreed to." and his response "That is offer now."  On the Monday on first day of job (I was home for I took three weeks off burning vacation time I'd lose) I got call from recruiter and he said "Client called and asked why you did not go to work. You start today."  I responded I did not agree to contract and he said he has it signed by me.  I  told him the job stated different salary and location. He said "What I am to tell client." My reply was "Tell the truth - you screwed up.  When I visited company I met people I knew in administration and if lie and blame it on me I will sue you for slander."

Not only that, but since Takeo isn't the first former player or Bill of the past they invite to a game, they could have asked the previous invitees for feedbacks after their visits and made improvements accordingly.

I wonder if Takeo was a victim of circumstances, being this a season opening game in which an unexpected and larger than usual number of big shots turned up, or if this is SOP.

2 minutes ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

Not only that, but since Takeo isn't the first former player or Bill of the past they invite to a game, they could have asked the previous invitees for feedbacks after their visits and made improvements accordingly.

I wonder if Takeo was a victim of circumstances, being this a season opening game in which an unexpected and larger than usual number of big shots turned up, or if this is SOP.

I am thinking he saw the Ryan Fitzpatrick photos / video and thought he would top it and was hoping for seats in redzone.

No personal contact with TKO as I have other former players; just a TKO hat I bought from his charity many years ago.

Maybe the Bills could do a re-invite.

This Spikes story eminds me of one I heard about how bad the sightlines of the old Rockpile was (War Memorial Stadium, the Bills Stadium in the '60s at Jefferson and Best) ...I think it was Van Miller who was complaining about there was a pole in his way while broadcasting a game there. Then a guy interrupted Van saying, "No I'm not!" 

On 9/17/2023 at 7:06 PM, stevewin said:

That's crazy.  First the Bills seem like they usually would have it more together than that.  Second - it's crazy that he left and they couldn't have worked something out for him to go to another suite or even go down on the field 

I guess Takeo has some bitterness that he basically lost his playing ability after he ruptured his Achilles as a Bill and was never the same player after.  

On 9/17/2023 at 7:06 PM, stevewin said:

That's crazy.  First the Bills seem like they usually would have it more together than that.  Second - it's crazy that he left and they couldn't have worked something out for him to go to another suite or even go down on the field 

I guess Takeo has some bitterness that he basically lost his playing ability after he ruptured his Achilles as a Bill and was never the same player after.  

On 9/17/2023 at 7:11 PM, HurlyBurly51 said:

You’d think when they invite these legends back they would be the owners guest in his suite

Or on the sideline with the team,

• 2 weeks later...

Beef with Takeo Spikes is part of bigger Bills alumni issue

od5nynxorsxcpqq60mgy.jpg

The Bills brought back linebacker Takeo Spikes to speak to the crowd before the Week 2 home opener against the Raiders.

Then, Spikes went to his seat.

Then, Spikes showed the world that the team had given him an obstructed view.

“I was disappointed that he was disappointed,” Bills G.M. Brandon Beane said, via Graham. “There are some things we can do better to the point where Takeo didn’t feel like he needed to put that message out there.”

Still, even as Beane said all the right things on the record, three Bills sources told Graham off the record that Spikes was offered two different alternatives, “but he refused, with one of the sources saying Spikes seemed intent on taking the issue public.”

Indeed, Spikes wasn’t the first one to be given the same obstructed-view accommodations.

“Marv Levy and I — along with several other legends — have had those same seats that Takeo had, and it’s embarrassing,” Hall of Fame defensive end Bruce Smith told Graham.

nbcsports.com

7 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

od5nynxorsxcpqq60mgy.jpg

The Bills brought back linebacker Takeo Spikes to speak to the crowd before the Week 2 home opener against the Raiders.

“I was disappointed that he was disappointed,” Bills G.M. Brandon Beane said, via Graham. “There are some things we can do better to the point where Takeo didn’t feel like he needed to put that message out there.”

Still, even as Beane said all the right things on the record, three Bills sources told Graham off the record that Spikes was offered two different alternatives, “but he refused, with one of the sources saying Spikes seemed intent on taking the issue public.”

Indeed, Spikes wasn’t the first one to be given the same obstructed-view accommodations.

“Marv Levy and I — along with several other legends — have had those same seats that Takeo had, and it’s embarrassing,” Hall of Fame defensive end Bruce Smith told Graham.

nbcsports.com

Well. Let’s hope whoever the “legend” is this week gets better treatment. 

7 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

od5nynxorsxcpqq60mgy.jpg

nbcsports.com

Lol did Bruce Smith really refer to himself as a legend

• Vomit 1

I can see the problem. The "legends" will want to have family and friend's attend, so you need a full suite. But they don't just leave the best suites available for this, it's probably one of the worst ones.

So either bite the bullet and leave an good suite open where you don't get any revenue from it or keep putting them in the shittiest suite.

Between this and beane's failure in the 2nd round of the draft and wyatt teller I think we have a problem on our hands here

#sleepybeane

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Lol did Bruce Smith really refer to himself as a legend

So it's literally what the player being honored and invited to the game are referred as and second if any player can call themselves a legend it's Bruce ***** Smith.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

When you stay at relatives' homes, sometimes you get the crappy bedroom or whatever. But complaining about the situation on social media, after the club tried to make it right twice, is rude. He's part of the family, but he's still largely a guest at this point. His comments were ill-mannered.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.