Elam a healthy scratch part deux (now part TRES) (now part QUATRO)

FireChans

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Yes.  Elam not under 4.3 like Hill, but legit fast, faster than anyone else on our secondary unless Tre White has gotten back to his league-entry speed.

It's interesting, I'm sure they want Damar Hamlin active as a backup safety with Poyer out. 

But I would think if they weren't just 'maumau'ing us about how close the competition between Benford, Jackson, and Elam was pre-season, this is a game where they would want Elam on the menu.

From the fan seat perspective, Choices to be made.

I think this may have some truth to it.  Another way to put it is "not a good scheme fit"

LOL if we wanted to keep Levi Wallace, we could have and would have.  Pittsburgh offered him a very moderate contract.

Tre White coming off ACL surgery and didn't know how/when he'd come back, was certainly a reason.  I think Tre was struggling more than the Bills let on.

Elam has been 'nicked up'?  Word from where?

Himself

28 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Not Active:

Poyer

Ifedi

Anderson

Jonathan or Ford (both are the 5th DE/DT respectively.  Maybe a chance they both sit?)

It leaves me with Elam having about a 50/50 chance of dressing.  If he does dress, they may have some DB sets where he comes in

to jam and run tight with a WR (not necessarily Hill).  If it worked, he could see more snaps.

It does give an option for a twist on D compared with having Ford and Jonathan who combined don't even have 1 tackle yet.

Not sure I'd call it 50/50, unless you think Coach is rolling out a new scheme this week...we haven't seen Elam or Benford/Tre play out of the slot (which your scheme would suggest).  Unless you think Benford or Tre is coming off the field.

Not sure why all this back and forth about a guy who hasn't dressed for 3 straight weeks.  It is what it is...he's #4 on the.boundary corner depth chart.

We aren't dressing a 4th boundary corner, who won't be playing meaningful snaps AND not a key s/t contributor.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• FireChans changed the title to Elam a healthy scratch part deux (now part TRES) (now part QUATRO)
1 minute ago, Simon said:

Wow, thought he would get on the field this week. :blink:

Utah if he was going to play,this would be the week.  They need to get something for him as he is wasting a roster spot.

1 minute ago, Maynard said:

Hahooooo! Are they even trying to shop him at this point? 

They need to

On 9/29/2023 at 1:21 PM, FireChans said:

This delusion that Elam is our super secret weapon against the Dolphins will die this weekend. 

The mental gymnastics required to believe that Elam is good enough to cover the best WR in football but not good enough to put on pads every other week is ABSURD.

💥💥💥💥💥💥

People actually thought he would be active? For coaches to make a first round pick from last year inactive for the first three weeks, they must think he absolutely sucks. They are not going to then just randomly throw him in against one of the top offenses in the league. 

My guess is they keep him around this season for depth in case of injury only. Then next offseason add a couple of new corners and trade him.

• Agree 2

Yikes.

2 minutes ago, Process said:

People actually thought he would be active? For coaches to make a first round pick from last year inactive for the first three weeks, they must think he absolutely sucks. They are not going to then just randomly throw him in against one of the top offenses in the league. 

My guess is they keep him around this season for depth in case of injury only. Then next offseason add a couple of new corners and trade him.

unmm, yeah. He played well last season , especially against the speed of the Dolphins.

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They might as well hang onto them. They’re not gonna get anywhere near the value of a first round pick.

Injuries due happened during the season

No one gets original draft value of busts John. Can they get “guy who isn’t good enough to put on pads” value? Yes.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Thought he could see some field just by virtue of the fact that he might be the 2nd best athlete in the Bills defensive backfield.

In hindsight, he's probably a bad fit in the zone heavy scheme we're likely to see today.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Hahooooo! Are they even trying to shop him at this point? 

What do you think they could get for a guy that can’t even crack the game day lineup? I can’t imagine it would be much.

Might as well keep him in case an injury happens.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

Yikes.

unmm, yeah. He played well last season , especially against the speed of the Dolphins.

I agree. 

The coaches clearly do not. 

They obviously aren't go from having him inactive for three weeks just to throw him in vs a top offense. He's clearly not a part of their plans for this season. 

It's unfortunate. I think he should be out there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I’ve kind of gone back-and-forth on this, but I think I’m OK with elam I’m not dressing

This fins are fence is fast and it uses a lot of motion. Communication is going to be key back there and one of the strengths of the bills defense is they do communicate well putting Elam into that might hurt that.

Agree but I fear if given any time at all Tua will eat up our secondary.

8 minutes ago, Process said:

They’ve already destroyed any trade value he might have had before the season. Bad move imo. 

7 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Yikes.

This might be one of the biggest myths on the board and with the entire fanbase. Do y put really think the coaches are going to make a first rounder inactive week after week if he played so well?  Come on…

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

What do you think they could get for a guy that can’t even crack the game day lineup? I can’t imagine it would be much.

Might as well keep him in case an injury happens.

NFL trade values can be weird sometimes, but I think we might be able to get a 4th for him? Comes down to how much teams value Elams status as a recent 1st round pick. 

As long as he's not a locker-room cancer (and I haven't seen a single report saying he has a bad attitude) I think he's much more valuable to keep as a depth guy than trying to trade him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

NFL trade values can be weird sometimes, but I think we might be able to get a 4th for him? Comes down to how much teams value Elams status as a recent 1st round pick. 

As long as he's not a locker-room cancer (and I haven't seen a single report saying he has a bad attitude) I think he's much more valuable to keep as a depth guy than trying to trade him. 

Possibly, but 22 year old first rounders don’t do well as depth. His confidence has to be shot and he deserves a chance to restart his young career. It obviously isn’t here and that’s unfortunate, but it has to be embarrassing for him at this point. 

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

From the crowd rises a chant..."we want Elam...WE WANT ELAM...WE WANT ELAM!"

Coach McDermott turns, yells "Elam...come here!"

Elam throws off his coat, and hastens to McDermott's side:  "Yes, Coach?"

McDermott:  "Go see what they want..."

Coat?!?  We’d have the first death by heatstroke in the league in 21 years.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.