TNF: Vikings @ Eagles

EmotionallyUnstable

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

someone needs to explain the purpose of this rule for me. It makes no sense.

It makes no sense because it’s effing stupid. A lot of people have been militating against this rule for years but with no success. The announcers are too in the tank with the league to make this obvious point.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Still think a touchback on offense is one of the worst rules in football.

If they want to minimize the chance of fumbles into the endzone being done on purpose the rule should be a 10-yard penalty from the spot of

the fumble at the most.  Giving the ball over is just insane.

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

someone needs to explain the purpose of this rule for me. It makes no sense.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-official-explains-why-one-of-footballs-worst-rules-exists-in-the-first-place

“Because the goal line is involved — and this is a consistent application of the impetus rule,” Blandino said. “Impetus is the force that puts the ball into an end zone. So if a team provides the impetus that puts a ball into their opponent’s end zone . . . then they are responsible for it. They’re responsible for it. And if the ball gets out of bounds through the end zone then it is a touchback.

[…]

“Now that may seem like an egregious penalty but again, think about it, they put the ball into their opponent’s end zone,” Blandino said. “If it’s not fourth down or inside two minutes, if they recover it, it’s a score. So that’s potentially a big play, so the penalty for not recovering it . . . has to be big as well. That’s why it’s a touchback. That’s consistent with other loose balls that go into an opponent’s end zone. Kicks, punts, fumbles, backward passes.”

“You’re responsible for putting the ball into your opponent’s end zone, you’re responsible for recovering it,” Blandino said. “If you don’t and it goes out of bounds or the defense recovers, they’ve defended their goal line, and they get a touchback.”

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Kirk and I can disagree on this one. I hate when players tap their chest or head and say “that’s on me” in those situations.

No crap man we all saw you do it ya loser. It has this sense of arrogance about it. You just effed up. Put your head down and get back into the huddle. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.