How To Fix The Bills Permanent Revenue Competitive Disadvantage. How To Make More Muneeeee.

Casual fan

Hi,

Here's an idea I'm showing you guys for the hell of it.

First, the problem: There is a salary cap that helps grant some parity across teams & the Bills usually spend close to the limit because we have a good owner.

But the big market teams annihilate us in overall revenue because they have more big businesses and more millionaires & it's easy, so they do, always.

Then they have much more money for facilities and coaches & nudge nudge wink wink side deals with players & the players have better off field opportunities for sponsorships etc.

So we are forced to rely on pluck, luck, and the justness of our cause (for our hearts are pure) to get around that very big disadvantage.

We are truly plucky fans, but you have to be insane to rely on luck when you're a Bills fan, and I'm not sure our hearts are very pure (based on mine and my friends plus the observed behavior of the rest of us in the stands)

Here's an idea how not to be screwed: Make more money from our stadium. Lots more, and kick the big cities asses at making money.

Sure I'm just a WNY bumpkin. I know how to use a wrench, saw, and screwdriver. And my idea of a great time is to hang around in the parking lots before games eating hot dogs. But deep inside I can be just as greedy as any big city silk underwear wearin' fancy boy.

We need to pull in money from other cities & we have to keep the stadium complex making money year round.  Much more than 10 days out of 365.

We'll have a beautiful place with parking, restrooms, restaurants, & crazy multimedia available for virtually any number of people just sitting there doing nothing unless we do.

How? First is make it quick and easy to get there from far by using the railroad.

The Bills are almost never lucky. We're famous for not being lucky. But we got lucky this time.

See the picture. The railroad goes right by the stadium. How lucky can you get? (Red White & Blue slanted is the main line. I added the smaller vertical spur line & arrow just as a possible path)

I'm saying the Bills do whatever they have to do to build a spur line from that track into the stadium complex.

railroad2a.thumb.jpg.3863b3d9ee0071ecd63c7c8295bcf54b.jpg

But not for us bumpkins really.

Toronto is a World Financial Capitol. The amount of money there is gigantic. Much more than you would suspect unless you look into it.

The idea here is the rich people and companies with big money clients whisk the wealthy to Bills game in *private luxury rail cars*.

No traffic, no stops, just care free pampered luxury the whole efficient trip there and back.

If you've not been in a near empty Amtrack style rail car you won't have experienced what that is like. It's big in there.

You can do anything. Bathroom any time you like, walk around, very roomy and it's much like you are standing still.

They could even be having orgies in there on the way to games if they wanted to.

There is no comparison to a bus, RV or limo.

It will be vastly better and much more prestigious.

Public displays of prestige are worth money & the Bills could charge unreal money for that.

Billionaires could have their own cars, gold with ornate trim. Maybe even giving lifts to & arriving with movie stars.

There would be big, big money from that and no other team anywhere could equal that for an ultimate luxury experience.

And the regular Toronto millionaires could ride in nice rail cars too. But they would have to share.

Arriving and departing from the exclusive station for which the Bills could charge a bloody fortune.

Niagara falls gets 13 Million tourists a year.

We run trains from there to the stadium complex and have off-season attractions.

An NFL experience. Exhibits like a Future World of Technology where people could go see SpaceX rockets and whatever cool stuff we could get.

The point is we think of something and then tap that Niagara Falls tourist money until it becomes a river.

Recap: We capitalize on our good fortune and use the rail to make it simple and easy to get there. No planning no directions no traffic no worries you just get on the train.

Do that to get Toronto and Niagara Falls money coming in.

So there you go. I think  it would work. Hope it seems like a reasonable thing to you too.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Casual fan said:

Hi,

First, the problem: There is a salary cap that helps grant some parity across teams & the Bills usually spend close to the limit because we have a good owner.

But the big market teams annihilate us in overall revenue because they have more big businesses and more millionaires & it's easy, so they do, always.

Then they have much more money for facilities and coaches & nudge nudge wink wink side deals with players & the players have better off field opportunities for sponsorships etc.

So we are forced to rely on pluck, luck, and the justness of our cause (for our hearts are pure) to get around that very big disadvantage.

We are truly plucky fans, but you have to be insane to rely on luck when you're a Bills fan, and I'm not sure our hearts are very pure (based on mine and my friends plus the observed behavior of the rest of us in the stands)

Here's an idea how not to be screwed: Make more money from our stadium. Lots more, and kick the big cities asses at making money.

Sure I'm just a WNY bumpkin. I know how to use a wrench, saw, and screwdriver. And my idea of a great time is to hang around in the parking lots before games eating hot dogs. But deep inside I can be just as greedy as any big city silk underwear wearin' fancy boy.

We need to pull in money from other cities & we have to keep the stadium complex making money year round.  Much more than 10 days out of 365.

We'll have a beautiful place with parking, restrooms, restaurants, & crazy multimedia available for virtually any number of people just sitting there doing nothing unless we do.

How? First is make it quick and easy to get there from far by using the railroad.

The Bills are almost never lucky. We're famous for not being lucky. But we got lucky this time.

See the picture. The railroad goes right by the stadium. How lucky can you get? (Red White & Blue slanted is the main line. I added the smaller vertical spur line & arrow just as a possible path)

I'm saying the Bills do whatever they have to do to build a spur line from that track into the stadium complex.

Toronto is a World Financial Capitol. The amount of money there is gigantic. Much more than you would suspect unless you look into it.

The idea here is the rich people and companies with big money clients whisk the wealthy to Bills game in *private luxury rail cars*.

No traffic, no stops, just care free pampered luxury the whole efficient trip there and back.

If you've not been in a near empty Amtrack style rail car you won't have experienced what that is like. It's big in there.

You can do anything. Bathroom any time you like, walk around, very roomy and it's much like you are standing still.

They could even be having orgies in there on the way to games if they wanted to.

Public displays of prestige are worth money & the Bills could charge unreal money for that.

Billionaires could have their own cars, gold with ornate trim. Maybe even giving lifts to & arriving with movie stars.

There would be big, big money from that and no other team anywhere could equal that for an ultimate luxury experience.

And the regular Toronto millionaires could ride in nice rail cars too. But they would have to share.

Arriving and departing from the exclusive station for which the Bills could charge a bloody fortune.

We run trains from there to the stadium complex and have off-season attractions.

An NFL experience. Exhibits like a Future World of Technology where people could go see SpaceX rockets and whatever cool stuff we could get.

The point is we think of something and then tap that Niagara Falls tourist money until it becomes a river.

Recap: We capitalize on our good fortune and use the rail to make it simple and easy to get there. No planning no directions no traffic no worries you just get on the train.

So there you go. I think  it would work. Hope it seems like a reasonable thing to you too.

• Haha (+1) 2

If Bills did that what would stop other teams from replicating it? 

Biggest Bills disadvantage is front office whose marketing department sells tickets in bulk to ticket agencies and travel agencies who mark them up and sell them in packages to opposing fans.  I have been contacted by them in past because I am on a NFL mailing list.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Lost said:

I am kinda amazed how we don't have a functional high speed rail system in the US yet.   I wouldn't mind hopping on a train from PA to WNY for weekend Bills games.  

I spent close to 20 years in the railroad industry and it simply just doesn’t make financial sense. The OPs idea is nice, but it’s simply that, an idea. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lost said:

I am kinda amazed how we don't have a functional high speed rail system in the US yet.   I wouldn't mind hopping on a train from PA to WNY for weekend Bills games.  

I  think terrain is part of it, property acquisition is part of it (that can be overcome, but no one likes eminent domain), and the EPA may be another part (I work with municipal governments, trying to build a freaking road is a hassle--there is an endangered bug somewhere). 

If it's just terrain, PIT to Buffalo would be easy as it's mostly flat and could have a stop in Erie that branches west to Cleveland.  Then connect PIT to Columbus, Cleveland, Chicago, and then down and around the Midwest to Dallas, Detroit, Indy, etc.  All flattish terrains.  Could setup a similar system out west.  Once they prove their worth, more expensive connections could be built to get through mountains.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would build a huge roller coaster that goes up and over the stadium. 

That would be fun!

17 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I  think terrain is part of it, property acquisition is part of it (that can be overcome, but no one likes eminent domain), and the EPA may be another part (I work with municipal governments, trying to build a freaking road is a hassle--there is an endangered bug somewhere). 

If it's just terrain, PIT to Buffalo would be easy as it's mostly flat and could have a stop in Erie that branches west to Cleveland.  Then connect PIT to Columbus, Cleveland, Chicago, and then down and around the Midwest to Dallas, Detroit, Indy, etc.  All flattish terrains.  Could setup a similar system out west.  Once they prove their worth, more expensive connections could be built to get through mountains.  

I'm a very big fan of high speed rail. I don't know the financials but I would love to hop a train to NYC and be there in 2 hours. And New Yorker's could commute home, 200 miles away, in an hour. So they could live in a decent place that didn't cost 2 million dollars and the rest of NY state would benefit a lot from NYC moola I betcha.

1 hour ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I spent close to 20 years in the railroad industry and it simply just doesn’t make financial sense. The OPs idea is nice, but it’s simply that, an idea. 

Agreed. It's just an idea. I can't say for sure it would work, I have no way of knowing for sure. I'm just saying if I was a billionaire I'd build a little railroad track and a station and give it whirl because the payoff could be enormous. And then I could crush my football team owner enemies like the dirty dogs they are while pretending I did it for environmental sustainability.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Biggest Bills disadvantage is front office whose marketing department sells tickets in bulk to ticket agencies and travel agencies who mark them up and sell them in packages to opposing fans.  I have been contacted by them in past because I am on a NFL mailing list.

Other teams could replicate it provided they had rail lines near enough to make it feasible. But I don't think they have a reason to.

We want Toronto corporate money while other teams are already in big metro areas.

Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America.

But Toronto is 99 miles from Orchard Park. How long do you suppose it takes Torontonians to travel by car or bus dealing with border checks and traffic on game days?

4 hours maybe?

A train could (probably) get there in an hour and a half and it would be a luxury ride.

In fact you can take a train from Boston right to the Pats games. It's only 20 miles but still they think it is smart to do that. And the train sells out.

Toronto has has 4 times the population of Boston and vastly more money. That's why I would take a serious stab at rolling them into our fan base.

Toronto is huge and it's rich.

Next Niagara falls. According to this Niagara Falls is the #5 tourist destination in the entire world. Behind Las Vegas, New York City, and Washington DC (who have football teams) and ahead of Disney World in Orlando (which also has a football team).

So here again other cities could imitate but they don't have a reason to. While we have 20 Million tourists from all over the world we could try and attract and market to.

tourism.thumb.jpg.09a713241586d0384966ed22244f639f.jpg

1 minute ago, Casual fan said:

That would be fun!

I'm a very big fan of high speed rail. I don't know the financials but I would love to hop a train to NYC and be there in 2 hours. And New Yorker's could commute home, 200 miles away, in an hour. So they could live in a decent place that didn't cost 2 million dollars and the rest of NY state would benefit a lot from NYC moola I betcha.

Agreed. It's just an idea. I can't say for sure it would work, I have no way of knowing for sure. I'm just saying if I was a billionaire I'd build a little railroad track and a station and give it whirl because the payoff could be enormous. And then I could crush my football team owner enemies like the dirty dogs they are while pretending I did it for environmental sustainability.

Not trying to be Debbie downer but the only thing even remotely feasible in your idea would be extending a spur line and even that would be a stretch. I believe that line nearby is owned by the Buffalo & Pittsburgh, a short line railroad that wouldn’t have anywhere near the capacity to service a passenger route. Hell even the class 1 railroads have been in total “bare bones” mode in the Engineering department for close to a decade.

I could go on for hours about why high speed passenger rail service doesn’t work in this country (on a large scale) but the short answer is that it’s simply too costly to build and maintain for the returns. Amtrak only has like 1 profitable segment in their entire network and they don’t own (and therefore have to perform $$$ maintenance) on probably 98% of the track they operate over. Look at what happened to Californias great big high speed rail idea for a real world example of why it won’t work. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Not trying to be Debbie downer but the only thing even remotely feasible in your idea would be extending a spur line and even that would be a stretch. I believe that line nearby is owned by the Buffalo & Pittsburgh, a short line railroad that wouldn’t have anywhere near the capacity to service a passenger route. Hell even the class 1 railroads have been in total “bare bones” mode in the Engineering department for close to a decade.

I could go on for hours about why high speed passenger rail service doesn’t work in this country (on a large scale) but the short answer is that it’s simply too costly to build and maintain for the returns. Amtrak only has like 1 profitable segment in their entire network and they don’t own (and therefore have to perform $$$ maintenance) on probably 98% of the track they operate over. Look at what happened to Californias great big high speed rail idea for a real world example of why it won’t work. 

Thanks.

The high speed and the spur line are two different things.

For the spur line I'm glad you think that's feasible. My thinking was it's very hard and expensive to get the right of ways and build a track from scratch.

But with a track already there, and it's working track not even a disused route,  it should be doable to get someone with a locomotive and cars to run a route.

You are right about it Being Buffalo and Pittsburg's line. I think they are using it mostly to store rail cars on! (a bit further down).

Since everyone likes money I bet the Bills could give them some money and schmooze them  and get that done.

Then it's just a matter of finding someone to run on that track gamedays.

Tell me if I'm wrong but you can go from Orchard Park, to Niagara falls, to Toronto on that track.

16 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I think the Casual fan owns the railroad. Or he has stock in the new stadium.

My angle will be to build the custom rail cars for the rich people and to run the World Of The Future tourist attraction in summertime.

45 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Amtrak used to run game day specials from Albany to Buffalo (with stops at Syracuse, Rochester, etc) for the Bills games.

There were shuttle buses to game.

They were not to every game however.

I am not sure why they stopped.

This is not the type of "luxury" fans OP was trying to attract however.

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

What about a ferry that connected Toronto to Orchard Park?  Not a regular ferry.  A really speedy ferry. A Fast Ferry! I'm trademarking that idea so don't try and steal it you sonsabiches!

They used to have these sweet hovercrafts that crossed the English Channel, but they stopped that service. I think that the Chunnel made it obsolete. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

What about a ferry that connected Toronto to Orchard Park?  Not a regular ferry.  A really speedy ferry. A Fast Ferry! I'm trademarking that idea so don't try and steal it you sonsabiches!

Their used to be one from Toronto to Rochester.

I do not think post Thanksgiving weather will support it.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I wish there was someone here who knew more about trains, railroads, crossing Lake Ontario via ferry or bridge and overall site planning in light of environmental concerns.

*cough* @ExiledInIllinois *cough*

All-American Canal!!

Suck it haters!

Even has a jetport!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lost said:

The auto and airline industries would never allow it. Something would have to be done about their lobbying. But you're right, even a modest improvement to the current rail system in the United States would be a massive improvement for both the economy and quality of life of everyone using it.

If you want to get really heated about it, dive deeper into the plans and infrastructure that have been canceled over the last couple decades. Oh what could have been...

15 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

The auto and airline industries would never allow it. Something would have to be done about their lobbying. But you're right, even a modest improvement to the current rail system in the United States would be a massive improvement for both the economy and quality of life of everyone using it.

If you want to get really heated about it, dive deeper into the plans and infrastructure that have been canceled over the last couple decades. Oh what could have been...

I don't doubt it.  I mean the electric vehicle has existed for over 100 years yet it wasn't until the last decade or so that one company went against the auto/oil industry and made it go mainstream.  Now that it's catching on and profitable, they all want to pile on.   On top of that, our government is incapable of passing a stand alone infrastructure bill.  The parties always have to try and cram in controversial partisan gobbledygook.  I say this as a conservative who hates government spending but if we're going to spend, let it go towards something tangible that benefits everybody(and creates some jobs).

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Casual fan said:

Hi,

A few Toronto millionaires arriving in "luxury rail cars". somehow brings in tons more money for Billionaire Pegula?

lol, this is awesome.

4 hours ago, Lost said:

Because it's insanely expensive and only the Northeast corridor would have any chance to make money---and could never cover its costs. You need a string of large cities all within 2 hundred miles or less from each other to be linked by such a rail system (Washington to Boston--Northeast corridor for Amtrak). 

Flying is faster, sometimes cheaper, over vast distances.  Who wants to take a train, even a fast one, across country or from NY to Fla for instance?

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Amtrak used to run game day specials from Albany to Buffalo (with stops at Syracuse, Rochester, etc) for the Bills games.

There were shuttle buses to game.

They were not to every game however.

I am not sure why they stopped.

This is not the type of "luxury" fans OP was trying to attract however.

Key words used to. Railroads are very different today than they were even 10 years ago. Consolidation of class 1s has led to shareholder profits being the driving force of all decision making (the increase in train accidents due to slashing maintenance of way budgets is not coincidental)

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The other stadiums would need to have a close connection to a main railroad line to have a offshoot to their stadium built.  I'd expect it would depend on the cost and feasibility of building a connection to/from stadium.    

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

A few Toronto millionaires arriving in "luxury rail cars". somehow brings in tons more money for Billionaire Pegula?

lol, this is awesome.

May I ask you a question please?

In your personal real-life, do friends or family come to you and say "We're kicking aorund the pros and cons of some ideas but we feel the discussion would benefit if you'd come please and make one of your obnoxious & clueless contributions"?

Or at work does the boss come to you and say "Mr. WEO the board is considering some important matters and we all agree we'd feel more confident if we were able to make our decision after hearing one of your off point *****tarded remarks"?

Just wondering where you got the idea that was the thing to do here.

And thank you for your contribution.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Casual fan said:

May I ask you a question please?

In your personal real-life, do friends or family come to you and say "We're kicking aorund the pros and cons of some ideas but we feel the discussion would benefit if you'd come please and make one of your obnoxious & clueless contributions"?

Or at work does the boss come to you and say "Mr. WEO the board is considering some important matters and we all agree we'd feel more confident if we were able to make our decision after hearing one of your off point *****tarded remarks"?

Just wondering where you got the idea that was the thing to do here.

And thank you for your contribution.

I mean, I said it was awesome...

8 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Amtrak has lines but hardly uses them.  I live in Memphis, and it would be great to take a train south to New Orleans or north to Chicago for a weekend or other vacation.  Amtrak has one train per day in each direction, and the departure and arrival times are terribly inconvenient for most of the stations en route.  What's needed are trains every couple of hours, so passengers can have the flexibility to travel at their convenience instead of Amtrak's limited vision.  Make the trains shorter if the number of passengers is lower, but this is how Amtrak could rebuild passenger service across America, reducing carbon emissions and helping passengers avoid airline schedule cancellations and delays, and airport crowds.  Train travel is soooo much nicer than airplane travel.  

Super innovative idea!!

But, In the NFL parity rules. It’s so much more balanced in terms of every team having a fair chance. Green Bay, Buffalo, and Jacksonville(finally) can compete. Pegs is in the top 10 of wealth among the owners. He bought the Bills for slightly over 1B and it’s now worth 4 x that. He’s getting a new stadium. If the Bills continue to be smart they can compete with any team. Jerry hasn’t won a SB in 30 years. 

13 hours ago, Casual fan said:

Hi,

Is this a bit? I hope so

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Great idea but..What if we used Fairys. Like Tinker Bell Or Peter Pan type Fairys. They throw some of that Fairy dust Sh$t on the rich and famous, put em on their backs and fly over.  Dust could be flavored or scented  too in Franks or Blue Cheese

And the Fairy’s need to be hot and dressed in Hooters getups.  And at the game they can be “companions” to the Rich and  Famous-wink wink 

or we just build a train over the next 30 years….

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.