Terry Pegula is ALLEGED to have said something very foul in the Jim Trotter lawsuit against the NFL

Roundybout

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

For the record, I wouldn't care if he said exactly what was stated in the complaint.  That falls into one of those "true things that we're not supposed to say out loud" category, and I just can't bring myself to worry about stuff like that.

Uhhhhhhh no. 

46 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Congratulations, you are a racist.

And that came from Dick Cheney 😂😂

25 minutes ago, Mango said:

There’s nothing to squish. The context is “My colleague told me this. I reported it. Nobody ever followed up with me I asked Goodell about other DEI initiatives. Now I’ve lost my job after being told I’d be getting a new contract”.

Trotter isn’t using this to throw Pegs under the bus. He’s saying the league didn’t even bother looking into this or Jerry Jones and bringing it up cost him his job. Which if true, is a big deal for any large corporation.  

This isn’t a hit piece on Pegula. Or at least not intentionally. 

Sounds like Jerry is in way more trouble. But what was with the part where Pegs made the comment and everyone was stunned and shocked?? And who are these people? And why didn’t they corroborate? This is weird 

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Terry Pegula is ALLEGED to have said something very foul in the Jim Trotter lawsuit against the NFL
9 hours ago, Casual fan said:

Why would you people just believe this?

What about some sort of proof besides what one guy saying it in his lawsuit?

What about some proof first?

How gullible are you?

You *still* just believe the news?

Still?

Is there any hope for this country?

You’d think Bills fans would learn after the Araiza scandal not to jump to judgment so soon. But that is America in 2023, believing every accusation before a shred of proof is produced. 

Edited by Billznut
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Breakout Squad said:

Uhhhhhhh no. 

And that came from Dick Cheney 😂😂

Sounds like Jerry is in way more trouble. But what was with the part where Pegs made the comment and everyone was stunned and shocked?? And who are these people? And why didn’t they corroborate? This is weird 

Well I don't think he was told he was getting a new contract.  I got that the hr person he spoke with had no reason to believe he wouldn't get a new contract but then not all hr personally are privy to the decision makers and how they make those decisions.

5 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

This thread is like the DHop thread in that we have no real proof of anything happening, but hey let's argue with one another till he hit 300 pages.

Let's go!!!

I’d say the thread is more exactly like the Araiza thread from last year actually. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

An NFL investigation clearing one of its owners doesn't exactly move the needle for me.  I don't know what was said, but it's a weird lie for the other reporter to make up.

It doesn't have to be a lie.  He could be mistaken about who said it, or missing some context or detail that totally changes the meaning, or added a word or phrase in his mind that wasn't there originally (people's memories do that).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

That Trotter would report the Pegula quote when it was reported to him second hand tells me that he is taking swipes at anyone and everything.

Even if Pegula and Jones did speak as alleged, I'm not sure what this has to do with the non-renewal of Trotter's contract.

Secondly, does Trotter know who he was working for? Does he think the NFL is going to support an exposé of racism among NFL owners? 

If he believes he has a story of this nature, he either needs to go independent or work for a media outlet that will back him. He needs to realize that such backing will not come from any media outlet that is a partner of the NFL.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, stuvian said:

That Trotter would report the Pegula quote when it was reported to him second hand tells me that he is taking swipes at anyone and everything.

Even if Pegula and Jones did speak as alleged, I'm not sure what this has to do with the non-renewal of Trotter's contract.

Secondly, does Trotter know who he was working for? Does he think the NFL is going to support an exposé of racism among NFL owners? 

If he believes he has a story of this nature, he either needs to go independent or work for a media outlet that will back him. He needs to realize that such backing will not come from any media outlet that is a partner of the NFL.

You’d think so, but if Brian Flores can get hired back into the league by 2 teams after Miami, anything can happen.

3 hours ago, Chas56 said:

I just want to go on the record saying I think this is b.s. 

The quote sounds like something a black person thinks a white person would say. I don’t buy it either.

At worst, some sort of terrible misinterpretation. People who are messed up in the head often mishear things by other people. Happens all the time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's a terrible thing to accuse somebody of. It's especially terrible when it's not even something the person heard themselves. So let's hope this guy has really really solid proof of it happening because otherwise I would assume there's a path for him to be counter sued into oblivion for defamation.

5 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

For the record, I wouldn't care if he said exactly what was stated in the complaint.  That falls into one of those "true things that we're not supposed to say out loud" category, and I just can't bring myself to worry about stuff like that.

At least you own your racism.  I'll give you credit for that.  

5 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

It's amazing how people can tell you everything there is to know about them in a couple sentences.

Your stance on statutory rape in the Araiza case pairs like a fine wine with regard to this. The only people who think this is "a true thing we're not supposed to say out loud" are extreme racists. I heard this kind of disgusting ***** all the time growing up. Those people had the excuse of never having left their small hometown. What a truly deplorable thing to think.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

I haven't followed this "news" at all. It didn't pass the initial smell test. Reading up on it in detail just now it appears that we're three degrees and three years away from the source. Some NFL media reporter claims Pegula said this to him back in 2020 (why would Pegula say anything this stupid to an NFL media reporter is the first question that comes to my mind). That reporter tells his story to a Zoom full of NFL employees. Jim Trotter was in that Zoom meeting and raised a complaint.

So the chain of communication here is: Pegula -> NFL media reporter -> Trotter in a Zoom meeting -> Trotter's attorneys; all over the course of three years.

It's laughable to take such an extended game of telephone even remotely seriously. I see exactly a zero percent chance that Pegula said to an NFL media reporter "let the black players go back to Africa" in any possible context. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. It's also incredibly irresponsible of Trotter's attorneys to include such inflammatory and baseless accusations in a footnote, but no doubt they knew what they were doing to get attention on the lawsuit.

If I'm trying to be charitable to the initial NFL media reporter who quoted Pegula's alleged comment, perhaps Pegula did say something to the effect of "if these players hate their freedoms in America so much they should try living in 3rd world countries" which IMO is an irrational argument but it's a fairly common argument and not inherently racist in the slightest. I can see how such a statement could get twisted over the years to become a villainous caricature of itself, but that's about as much as I'd be willing to even entertain.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I haven't followed this "news" at all. It didn't pass the initial smell test. Reading up on it in detail just now it appears that we're three degrees and three years away from the source. Some NFL media reporter claims Pegula said this to him back in 2020 (why would Pegula say anything this stupid to an NFL media reporter is the first question that comes to my mind). That reporter tells his story to a Zoom full of NFL employees. Jim Trotter was in that Zoom meeting and raised a complaint.

So the chain of communication here is: Pegula -> NFL media reporter -> Trotter in a Zoom meeting -> Trotter's attorneys; all over the course of three years.

It's laughable to take such an extended game of telephone even remotely seriously. I see exactly a zero percent chance that Pegula said to an NFL media reporter "let the black players go back to Africa" in any possible context. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. It's also incredibly irresponsible of Trotter's attorneys to include such inflammatory and baseless accusations in a footnote, but no doubt they knew what they were doing to get attention on the lawsuit.

If I'm trying to be charitable to the initial NFL media reporter who quoted Pegula's alleged comment, perhaps Pegula did say something to the effect of "if these players hate their freedoms in America so much they should try living in 3rd world countries" which IMO is an irrational argument but it's a fairly common argument and not inherently racist in the slightest. I can see how such a statement could get twisted over the years to become a villainous caricature of itself, but that's about as much as I'd be willing to even entertain.

So your evidence that their evidence is phony is that you simply have no idea, but that it sounds funny?  You even guessed at the end of your comment to try to make the supposed statement sound better.

I have no idea what was said, but to say that it couldn't have been said is very naïve.  Also, if this was reported by Trotter pretty quickly after it happened, but then took 3 years to come out in the news, that isn't a story that floated around for 3 years.  Part of the reason Trotter filed his complaint is because he said his reports were ignored.  It claims he followed up weekly, so there SHOULD be a paper trail of sorts.  No audio as far as I can tell, but a timely report, follow ups, and it looks like zero investigation. That is part of Trotter's entire suite.  Reports of racism and discrimination were supposedly ignored.

5 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

All Terry had to do was apologize and say he’ll do better to educate himself and all would be forgiven. Apparently that’s how this kind of stuff works.

1C956066-A2F2-4190-AFBF-D7B51B2CEFFA-min.jpeg

Not that I agree with anything Jackson said or posted, but employers are under an entirely different set of rules.  If one of my employees says something racist, I can fire him with cause but that's the extent of punishment.  If I say the same thing, I can get sued into oblivion.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

What evidence are you referring to?

Evidence is a poor choice of words.  You dismiss the report and says you see zero chance of it happening, yet you have no information to back that up except pure speculation.  I am not even claiming he did say it, but there was a report filed on one end very soon after the zoom call, it was followed up weekly for months to 2 separate individuals, and then it was promptly ignored.  People don't typically file complaints and put that much effort into it for it to be purely phony. 

7 minutes ago, cle23 said:

If one of my employees says something racist, I can fire him with cause but that's the extent of punishment.  If I say the same thing, I can get sued into oblivion.

I’m aware, but the point is DeSean didn’t get fired. He played for 3 more seasons after the incident. And he had multiple sports journalists trying to defend and make excuses for him. 

15 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

All Terry had to do was apologize and say he’ll do better to educate himself and all would be forgiven. Apparently that’s how this kind of stuff works.

1C956066-A2F2-4190-AFBF-D7B51B2CEFFA-min.jpeg

DeSean Jaackson posted an anti-semetic quote.  You know.....actual evidence.

• Like (+1) 1

Shouldn’t this guy have about 40 corroborating witnesses to his story? Should be pretty easy to find out the truth of it. 

Just now delving into this, but I’m seeing Trotter wasn’t even fired? The NFL just elected not to renew his contract. Does it even matter if they did it to retaliate? They can just say it was performance based, monetary based, or they threw darts at a dart board or asked a magic 8-ball. It doesn’t matter why they didn’t renew his contract at all, this is a private business. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Shouldn’t this guy have about 40 corroborating witnesses to his story? Should be pretty easy to find out the truth of it. 

Just now delving into this, but I’m seeing Trotter wasn’t even fired? The NFL just elected not to renew his contract. Does it even matter if they did it to retaliate? They can just say it was performance based, monetary based, or they threw darts at a dart board or asked a magic 8-ball. It doesn’t matter why they didn’t renew his contract at all, this is a private business. 

40 corroborating witnesses to say they heard some reporter say they heard Terry say something three years ago at dinner that the 40 other reporters weren't at? 

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

40 corroborating witnesses to say they heard some reporter say they heard Terry say something three years ago at dinner that the 40 other reporters weren't at? 

I must have misread Trotter’s complaint. It’s pretty chocked full of hearsay. I thought he heard a reporter say that he heard Pegula say the racist comment at some media event. Which I assumed would have been full of other media people. If Pegula allegedly said this to one exact person at some dinner, yeah, that doesn’t seem very credible and can’t be verified. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I must have misread Trotter’s complaint. It’s pretty chocked full of hearsay. I thought he heard a reporter say that he heard Pegula say the racist comment at some media event. Which I assumed would have been full of other media people. If Pegula allegedly said this to one exact person at some dinner, yeah, that doesn’t seem very credible and can’t be verified. 

I believe Trotter is saying another reporter on a Zoom meeting relayed the allegation to 40 co-workers on the call. 

So Trotter's attorneys are filing suit for hearsay? 

No evidence. Just some reporter told him Pegula said something. Ya, that will go far in court. I hope Pegula sues the ***** out of him and his attorneys for defamation of character. 

Edited by Herc11

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

None of this matters to the latter-day inquisition. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Then what are we talking about? I understand your fanbase has a lot of experience with trial by media but don't take it out on us. This is a laughable "news report" that has already faded out out of the public eye.

Oh it’s worse than that.  Wigdor/Trotter will have to introduce admissible and reliable evidence to support this allegation.  How?  Trotter’s testimony about what he heard second-hand is hearsay.  It can’t come in for its truth.  MAYBE they’ll try to get it in for something else (the NFL’s pattern and practice of failing to investigate allegations of racism?  good luck).  So most likely they’ll need to present a witness who can actually testify based on direct knowledge that this was said.  But we know that no such witness has been located yet.  Unless there’s a record of it (recording, or perhaps some internal contemporaneous NFL memo of a report made), this allegation will never actually be presented to a jury.  And Wigdor surely knows this - meaning he was fine destroying Pegula’s reputation for a few more headlines.

Doug Wigdor is a scum bag.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It wasn't in a footnote.  It's article 5 in what appears to be the complaint's bill of particulars. #6 is the alleged direct quote of Jones.

So which "3rd world countries" might Pegula perhaps have said "something to the effect of" when referring the black NFL players as places they might otherwise live to compare freedoms?  Bolivia?   Laos?  Bangladesh?

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It wasn't in a footnote.  It's article 5 in what appears to be the complaint's bill of particulars. #6 is the alleged direct quote of Jones.

So which "3rd world countries" might Pegula perhaps have said "something to the effect of" when referring the black NFL players as places they might otherwise live to compare freedoms?  Bolivia?   Laos?  Bangladesh?

In the context of @HappyDays post, if Terry's point was that NFL players can be spoiled brats, then he could have referenced literally any country.   Aside from a very small handful of soccer players, US has by far the highest paid athletes in the world and the best athletic programs.   Majority of Olympic athletes from nearly every competing country on earth except maybe China come to the US to train.   US is still the land of opportunity and biggest destination for most athletes.   

But we're debating 3rd party hearsay that has already mostly been debunked at this point.  

Edited by Lost
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.